Page 157 of 165 FirstFirst ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 4118
    It was never predictable to begin with. Always find it amusing that people even bother reading long term weather forecasts.

Thanks G2A and others for the color and background. Sounds like a mess of a situation. I've revised my earlier post - sorry for going over the the top.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I thought the main takeaway was that we can only expect more erratic and extreme weather events. Predictability is breaking down.
    I was referring to his winter outlook section under the heading "Winter outlook: unfortunately, it’s looking dry with strong La Niña conditions"
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I was referring to his winter outlook section under the heading "Winter outlook: unfortunately, it’s looking dry with strong La Niña conditions"
    Based on his previous track record that’s great news actually.

He’s a smart guy and has a pretty impressive resume especially for being so young, but reality has turned out basically opposite of what he’s predicted over the last 5 years.

Like J said, it’s best to not even tempt yourself there’s nothing in todays technology that can predict anything more than 7-10 days in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So far I haven't seen the squirrels go bonkers for acorns - so that indicates a mild winter. Probably as good a predictor as anything - which means it's not. ;-)

Not a lot of acorns here in the mountains but the squirrels are definitely going bonkers for pine nuts--like they do every winter, wet or dry, cold or warm

how furry is the wife’s woolly bear?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Late Summer/Early Fall of 2016 I saw thickest, fuzziest caterpillar I've ever seen. Was almost the size of my pinky. That winter was huge, not as big as 10/11 on the crest but bigger up at Rose.

Last year the caterpillars were skinny.
    Last month I saw a normal sized caterpillar. Not especially fuzzy or close to being as bald as me.
    We'll see how that plays out as a predictor.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Late Summer/Early Fall of 2016 I saw thickest, fuzziest caterpillar I've ever seen. Was almost the size of my pinky. That winter was huge, not as big as 10/11 on the crest but bigger up at Rose.

Last year the caterpillars were skinny.
    Last month I saw a normal sized caterpillar. Not especially fuzzy or close to being as bald as me.
    We'll see how that plays out as a predictor.
    If caterpillars are your weather forecasting tool, then Virginai is gonna have one insane winter this year: https://www.businessinsider.com/pois...ZdkB7Kqdy1ENZM
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Late Summer/Early Fall of 2016 I saw thickest, fuzziest caterpillar I've ever seen.....Last month I saw a normal sized caterpillar. Not especially fuzzy or close to being as bald as me.
    Did you hit it?

I think we need a new thread.

Fall colors, clear air and and great temps have made the last few days spectacular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great pics. What elevation? Haven't seen trees turning at 6K yet. I guess I need to get out more.

Edit--I need to open my eyes more. The aspen at the side of the house is turning nicely.
    Last edited by old goat; 10-14-2020 at 06:06 PM.

Plenty of trees at lake level in south lake turning or have turned already, these shots from two different locations I think both are at about 8000 feet

Since this flew under the radar...Tahoe National Forest just approved a big deal plan for trails in the Truckee Ranger District called the East Zone Connectivity and Restoration Project. The big highlight is 71 miles of new singletrack open to motorized and biking, mostly up near Verdi Ridge (north of Truckee). The Project also authorizes 35 miles of existing trail for eMTB use. Here's the environmental assessment: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_5347056.pdf

Some of the motorized trails up off Verdi will be appropriate for biking and some will be appropriate for swimming in bottomless decomposed granite that's been moto'd into oblivion.

Here's the project page with some nice maps: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=57704

This comes after TNF tried to approve six trails for eMTB usage a couple years ago, the horsie orgs sued them, and USFS settled the litigation.

Me gusta.
    sproing!

Those trees look great. Usually means there will be winter.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Since this flew under the radar...Tahoe National Forest just approved a big deal plan for trails in the Truckee Ranger District called the East Zone Connectivity and Restoration Project. The big highlight is 71 miles of new singletrack open to motorized and biking, mostly up near Verdi Ridge (north of Truckee). The Project also authorizes 35 miles of existing trail for eMTB use. Here's the environmental assessment: https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/ww...T3_5347056.pdf

Some of the motorized trails up off Verdi will be appropriate for biking and some will be appropriate for swimming in bottomless decomposed granite that's been moto'd into oblivion.

Here's the project page with some nice maps: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=57704

This comes after TNF tried to approve six trails for eMTB usage a couple years ago, the horsie orgs sued them, and USFS settled the litigation.

Me gusta.
    I do not think this is approved yet. No decision notice (or draft decision notice) is posted:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=57704
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-14-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Me gusta.
    That area definitely needs some TLC. Would've been nice if they incorporated some hike/bike only trails into the plan. Will be interested to see what the final decision is, seems like mostly letters of support in the public comments.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/14/92342...ft0XCfBstuoBjQ Telework boom is already showing to be a farce. Maybe Bay Area employers will be calling their workers back sooner than we think?

^^I have noticed a bunch of For Sale by Owner signs popping up recently. Seems like the 'move to Tahoe' trend is slowing at least.

Yeah, not so sure about that. That is a ton of sales after an already record-breaking summer. But of course this doesn't include the SLT area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3274.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	343530
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Yes but how much of that is increased demand and how much of it was postponed demand?

Also I'm specifically talking about the last two weeks. It seems the supply of homes is increasing while the demand may be leveling.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

earlier this summer Bear Valley Real Estate (the only game in town) ran out of inventory

now there are a few places on the market - some old timers are saying “fuck it” and cashing in

this place has been over run with Bay Area turds
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    https://www.npr.org/2020/10/14/92342...ft0XCfBstuoBjQ Telework boom is already showing to be a farce. Maybe Bay Area employers will be calling their workers back sooner than we think?

Dropbox announced this week that they are going remote first or something of the sort. Basically, they aren't going back to the offices in a traditional sense and won't be doing a hybrid model.

My wife is on Next Door (yeah, I know). Some guy in Tahoe Donner posts "How do we get ready for winter?"
    Wonder how many of the Bay Area WFH transplants will still be here come next winter.