Page 73 of 165 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4118
    CHP was posted up turning cars around at gstaad headed up to the bottom of Sherwood this mornin. Said it was cuz of resident complaints

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    CHP was posted up turning cars around at gstaad headed up to the bottom of Sherwood this mornin. Said it was cuz of resident complaints

I had a pic in my feed from a friend on Sherwood yesterday and the thought crossed my mind the residents may not like the intrusion considering what’s going on. Definitely not the same scenario as a pre lift opening acceptance of non permitted folk
    Last edited by mcski; 03-23-2020 at 12:13 AM.

I would guess most of those "residents" are not actually residents. Probably also true of many of the people skiing there. And I don't think CHP really can turn people away, as long as they are not illegally parked on the road. They certainly don't turn people away during traffic jams when hundreds of cars cut through residential neighborhoods. But as has been said before, stay the fuck in the bay or wherever it is you call home. How many fucking not-so-subtle hints do people need?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    And I don't think CHP really can turn people away
    The entire state is under shelter in place order. If CHP deems whatever you are doing non-essential, not only can they turn you around but they can write you a $1000 fine and even charge you for a misdemeanor.

The majority of cars at Glacier Way in TD today were definitely not local.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Since we’re giving out props, one should go out to Heavenly for continuing to groom their runs... all the way to top of Sky. Keep people out of the the more risky BC, and give us a physical/mental outlet.
    Very cool. How did this come about? Just voluntary move by the resort?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Was anyone around Boreal yesterday. A friend told me there were a lot of cars parked illegally, LE on site.

I would guess most of those "residents" are not actually residents. Probably also true of many of the people skiing there. And I don't think CHP really can turn people away, as long as they are not illegally parked on the road. They certainly don't turn people away during traffic jams when hundreds of cars cut through residential neighborhoods. But as has been said before, stay the fuck in the bay or wherever it is you call home. How many fucking not-so-subtle hints do people need?
    Primary issue was way too many cars parking up there, to the point where emergency vehicles wouldn't be able to get through.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

“Residents” or not, the small parking area near the lift is permitted for the homeowners association and they can and will tow if they feel warranted.

Truckee chp fb post from Thursday:
    Just a quick reminder, you are not allowed to park on the roadways during winter months. You could be cited or even have your vehicle towed.

We understand the desire to access the back country right now but make sure you are parked legally.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i second the props to heavenly. they are grooming all the mainline access points nightly and some spots a couple times a day so people can hike up without needing gear and so theres an easy way down for those lacking skills (of which seen many this past week.) They also did control work in the canyons so folks can get after some "safe" steeps (after they sled shuttled the crap outta it which all good in my book.) I even had freshly laid corduroy for my out today. snow quality is starting to deteriorate w elevation but is still bangin on high north.
    its been a really great vibe up there with all types, families, dogs etc finding something to smile about while keeping space from each other. the one day they they didnt groom (when they were doing control work) made everyone have to hike single file in the track so grooming also allows everyone to keep their space on the up.
    this morning i passed a guy with a massive pack on so i asked if he was going camping. he said no he was carying up a splint and med sled supplies to go help someone with a broken leg so big props to that dude and the rest of the awesome s n r folk in these parts still out there gettin it done++++ thank goodness they have nice groomed run to evac the guy
    This is great, glad to hear that are allowing access and easy to keep distance skinning. But kind of a bummer hearing that those lacking skills are getting after it. Essential outdoor recreation does not include dangerous activities you are not versed in. It basically means you can go for a walk, run or bike. In snow country, I'd assume that means a mellow tour or XC. From home or very close to home.

In one breath, folks are saying "stay away" in the next claiming that illegal parking and blocking of roads should be okay. Seriously folks, stop driving all over the place for fucks sake. I get it. You want to ski the goods, but if the goods are not in your neighborhood, and you decide to move around, you are a fucking problem. I know you don't want name calling int this thread, but please think about what you are doing and maybe ay attention to what is happening in New York, or Italy. Once this thing takes hold, lots of healthcare workers and first responders are going to be fucked. Many many people are asymptomatic spreaders. You won't even know when you are sick when you give someone else a death blow. Go out, have fun, Recreate. Walk from your home, or even drive 4 or 5 miles. But please, please, please, don't go far from your home. And residents are residents and shelter in pace means remain where you are. If you are in your own property, stay there, regardless if it is you first, second or eighth home.

It is great that Heave is grooming and allowing up hill access. It would be even better if you had to have an address less than 5 miles from the base. From what I read, KW is not allowing uphill access. Of course, there is plenty just OB to tour if you are holed up in the valley. And at least ya'll aren't like W Virginians still going to packed churches on Sunday.

FWIW, I've never seen the Tahoe backcountry as hammered as it was by yesterday. Mind you, I did a bit of the hammering myself (all within a few miles from my house). But even my more reclusive, get-away-from-the-crowds spots saw heavy traffic. To clarify, I'm not complaining. Again, I'm out there, too. But it's pretty nuts. I have a new appreciation the resorts now.

Selfishly, I'm a little worried about a general backcountry closure like they've enacted in San Juan County.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 03-23-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    In one breath, folks are saying "stay away" in the next claiming that illegal parking and blocking of roads should be okay. Seriously folks, stop driving all over the place for fucks sake. I get it. You want to ski the goods, but if the goods are not in your neighborhood, and you decide to move around, you are a fucking problem. I know you don't want name calling int this thread, but please think about what you are doing and maybe ay attention to what is happening in New York, or Italy. Once this thing takes hold, lots of healthcare workers and first responders are going to be fucked. Many many people are asymptomatic spreaders. You won't even know when you are sick when you give someone else a death blow. Go out, have fun, Recreate. Walk from your home, or even drive 4 or 5 miles. But please, please, please, don't go far from your home. And residents are residents and shelter in pace means remain where you are. If you are in your own property, stay there, regardless if it is you first, second or eighth home.
    Tahoe is a hotbed of toxic localism (it has been for a while) and the cognitive dissonance going on right now is impressive. The same person will say "STAY THE FUCK HOME!" and then get in the car and drive 30-40 minutes to the trailhead.

More often than not it's the locals who moved there, not the true locals who are from there and tend to have a bit more perspective. I'm seeing the exact same thing play out in Sonoma right now, although people are much less aggressive about it and us true locals are telling the newcomers to shut the fuck up.

ottime - yes kirkwood is alllowing uphill access and is also grooming and nobody is claiming its ok to illegally park and block roads. so if someone has no skills they shouldnt be allowed to hike up the closed resort? or people shouldnt drive more then 4-5 miles to access the bc/closed resorts? cmon man stop being such a colossal know it all. you should go ahead and follow the directives your local municipalities give you and stop worrying about what we are doing up here. by the way, ive heard they do NOT want people mtn biking in santa cruz but you are doing that and nobody here is busting your balls. people here are taking this shit seriously and everybody is changing their lives to accommodate our new reality. one of the things we CAN still do is recreate in the mountains but most live where they cant skin out their door. im lucky that i can but still spent some days on the pass last week because its not hurting anyone as you are claiming. we actually bailed on our couloir objective last week when viz went bad so we wouldnt put ourselves in a bad spot during these trying times. i even talked to chp bout skiing on the pass and he said keep on getting after it as long as you park in the proper places. they are still cleaning bathrooms in the sno-parks and if they didnt want people there, dont you think they would stop plowing the snoparks and close them down? most of us have stopped posting ski pics on social media and here to not encourage people from out of town to come up here and also to not throw the all-time conditions in the faces of people not able to partake....... like yourself. sorry if this comes across harsh but i couldnt let it go unsaid after reading your recent post. stay well and hope youre able to get back up to the mountains sooner then later

The following prolly has no place in a ski forum but fuck it I’m posting it anyway cuz some positivity is much needed right now

By Gurpreet Gil...

There is so much fear, and perhaps rightfully so, about COVID-19.

And, what if…

If we subscribe to the philosophy that life is always working out for us, that there is an intelligence far greater than humans at work…

That all is interconnected.

What if…

the virus is here to help us?

To reset.
    To remember.

What is truly important.

Reconnecting with family and community.

Reducing travel so that the environment, the skies, the air, our lungs all get a break.

Parts of China are seeing blue sky and clouds for the first time in forever with the factories being shut down.

Working from home rather than commuting to work (less pollution, more personal time).

Reconnecting with family as there is more time at home.

An invitation to turn inwards — a deep meditation — rather than the usual extroverted going out to self-soothe.

To reconnect with self — what is really important to me?

A reset economically.

The working poor. The lack of healthcare access for over 30 million in the US. The need for paid sick leave.

How hard does one need to work to be able to live, to have a life outside of work?

To face our mortality — check back into “living” life rather than simply working, working, working.

To reconnect with our elders, who are so susceptible to this virus.

And, washing our hands — how did that become a “new” thing that we needed to remember. But, yes, we did.

The presence of Grace for all.

There is a shift underway in our society — what if it is one that is favorable for us?

What if this virus is an ally in our evolution?

In our remembrance of what it means to be connected, humane, living a simpler life, to be less impactful/ more kind to our environment.

An offering from my heart this morning. Offered as another perspective. Another way of relating to this virus, this unfolding, this evolution.

It was time for a change, we all knew that.

And, change has arrived.

What if

~Gurpreet Gil

I would guess that the crowds hammering the BC are the same people who ski there regularly, just everyone doing it at the same time because the lifts are closed. As always, if it's crowded when you go there you're part of the problem.

It's unfortunate that this time is being used by some to push a narrative of hostile, foamed-mouth localism. Yes, it's idiotic for anyone from Bay Area to be traveling to Tahoe during a pandemic. But it's not just because it's Tahoe; it's idiotic for anyone from anywhere to travel more than a half hour to an hour from their primary residence. Yes, people from Bay Area should be staying home. But this line of thinking doesn't have to be drawn out to "people from the Bay need to stay the fuck away from Tahoe because locals only." The issues Tahoe has with tourism and overuse run far deeper than part-time residents or weekenders from the Bay Area. Local municipalities have been asking for this kind of "economic investment" in Tahoe for decades. One needs to look no farther than the bone-headed, detrimental development of Tahoe Keys or the frankly disgusting wealth and development seen in Olympic Valley.

An aside; this whole fiasco is a prime example of why LTBMU should be administered by the National Park Service as a National Recreation Area. Less strict rules of use than a Park would allow for mostly unabated recreation in the area, but would provide more control (than what there currently is) in the form of entrance fees and, most importantly, management by a SINGLE agency. Park Service could easily shut down access from the outside to the Recreation Area. And, if you think this wouldn't work because of the communities already there, Lake Mead National Recreation area is less than 10 miles from the Vegas metro area. It could be done; only problem is that the uber-wealthy already own more than half of the shoreline and don't care about the well-being of everyone around them. I think one of the main issues causing poor management of Tahoe are the rich who want Tahoe to continue to be their exclusive, private retreat. Private interests have always been undermining the well-being of Tahoe, and will continue to as long as rich WASPY fucks want this place to themselves. Anyways... it's a lot more complicated than just families from the Bay Area overrunning Tahoe!

EDIT: Additional hating on the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would guess that the crowds hammering the BC are the same people who ski there regularly, just everyone doing it at the same time because the lifts are closed. As always, if it's crowded when you go there you're part of the problem.
    It can't all be the same users. I called 3 shops in truckee to build another BC setup and all bindings my size were gone and nothing coming for months. We aren't the only area going through this so BC gear will be hard to come by for some time.
    Also I have seen many post in IG from people out there that I know didn't take a level 1 but are there anyway.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ottime - yes kirkwood is alllowing uphill access and is also grooming and nobody is claiming its ok to illegally park and block roads. so if someone has no skills they shouldnt be allowed to hike up the closed resort? or people shouldnt drive more then 4-5 miles to access the bc/closed resorts? cmon man stop being such a colossal know it all. you should go ahead and follow the directives your local municipalities give you and stop worrying about what we are doing up here. by the way, ive heard they do NOT want people mtn biking in santa cruz but you are doing that and nobody here is busting your balls. people here are taking this shit seriously and everybody is changing their lives to accommodate our new reality. one of the things we CAN still do is recreate in the mountains but most live where they cant skin out their door. im lucky that i can but still spent some days on the pass last week because its not hurting anyone as you are claiming. we actually bailed on our couloir objective last week when viz went bad so we wouldnt put ourselves in a bad spot during these trying times. i even talked to chp bout skiing on the pass and he said keep on getting after it as long as you park in the proper places. they are still cleaning bathrooms in the sno-parks and if they didnt want people there, dont you think they would stop plowing the snoparks and close them down? most of us have stopped posting ski pics on social media and here to not encourage people from out of town to come up here and also to not throw the all-time conditions in the faces of people not able to partake....... like yourself. sorry if this comes across harsh but i couldnt let it go unsaid after reading your recent post. stay well and hope youre able to get back up to the mountains sooner then later
    My bad on KW. Just what I was told by ops a few days ago.

Sorry to bother y’all. I’m out.

According to SC department of health, who I called to ask, biking is permitted. On trail and on pavement. They did ask folks avoid downhill trails which I do anyway. Just putting around on Xc tracks.

Hope your hospitals hold up. Ours are fucked right now.

Stay healthy and hope we are around next season.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    seen more solly shifts in the last 3 days in the bc than ever before - gotta think there are many newer users. The last week is a great reminder to support Sierra Avalanche Center.

J - if you don't want to see the difference from a public health perspective of driving from a place like gardnerville to CP and driving from the bay to CP, no one can make you.

Anyway, I'm clinging so hard to things that make stuff feel normal that it's hard to judge ppl for going out or staying home. They just tryin to get through the day like the rest of us

Vibes to all - good time to reach out to that friend we haven't heard from in a while

Who/what entities deserve our support most during these times?

I'm trying to buy a gift certificate from my fave shop (Tahoe Sports Hub), and buying pick-up food when we can (not too often unfortunately).

Sierra Community House does amazing work, including food bank distribution.

But damn, almost every seasonal and hourly employee around has lost their job. Small businesses around here are gonna get crushed. Ideas? Thoughts? Prayers?

Bit of stoke from simpler times to top off the tank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200119_124531.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	856.2 KB 
ID:	321865

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00050XTR_00050_BURST20190109112541.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	657.0 KB 
ID:	321866
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Sierra Community House does amazing work, including food bank distribution.

But damn, almost every seasonal and hourly employee around has lost their job. Small businesses around here are gonna get crushed. Ideas? Thoughts? Prayers?
    Think about supporting you local brewery. They are huge to building community and no one wants craft beer to all be owned by Budweiser.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Think about supporting you local brewery. They are huge to building community and no one wants craft beer to all be owned by Budweiser.
    Good idea. I have a pair of Vipec Blacks in good shape I could sell ya. You want? PM me.

(Wish we could have saved the Truckee River Winery...we LOVED that place. Talk about community...)
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    It's unfortunate that this time is being used by some to push a narrative of hostile, foamed-mouth localism.
    Push a narrative? lol... that shit has been an issue for quite a while now and it's blatantly obvious.

I invite you to check out the Truckee Tahoe People facebook group on any given week, but especially the holidays. A couple years back someone was driving way too fast on 80 in a storm and killed a CHP officer. Everyone started bitching about these idiots from the bay area making it unsafe. Just a ton of rants. Turned out the woman behind the wheel was a local.

HJ5, agree with much of what you said, but it's been tough seeing our resources here getting hit hard the past week. I've seen several families stocking up with multiple bags of groceries, to take home to the bay area. And there is no question that our hospital can't handle much, and that people coming from other areas multiplies the chances of things spreading here. So, people wanna bitch about localism? Well fuck you, I'm trying to protect my community.
    Not Tahoe, but it applies and maybe puts things in perspective.
    https://snowbrains.com/mammoth-lakes...ssues-warning/
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    ]
    Got this email the other day. Support whoever you want to see here in a few months, however you can.
    Alpenglow Family -

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. ” — John Lennon

I wrote this last Thursday with a mix of emotions, namely fear, hope, optimism and love. Alpenglow Sports has only had two owners .... myself as the second. As such, I feel a tremendous, and sometimes smothering, responsibility to continue the proud legacy of this 41-year-old heritage specialty shop. It is my hope that it will be the great work of my life, and that what we are doing now will continue to cultivate community right here in North Lake Tahoe for generations to come. t is my sincere hope that I can continue this proud legacy of this store that I love with every fiber of my existence.

However, we certainly find ourselves living through unprecedented challenges. That is why, effective last Thursday at 3pm, Alpenglow has transitioned to a phone-in ONLY sales model. Our committed staff are still here to help you with your backcountry, nordic or snowshoe equipment needs. I encourage you to call us anytime (530-583-6917) Monday through Friday from 11am-4pm daily as we will happily answer questions, give advice and speak to current backcountry conditions. Touch-less pick-ups will be scheduled over the phone at the time of purchase but we will not be communicating in person in any way. Purchases will be put out front at the scheduled time of pickup and will require your ID pressed against the front door for pickup. While we hope this model will allow us to remain "open," we also want to be transparent that it is subject to change given the dynamic nature of the world right now, and of course the health of everyone is at the forefront of our mind.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about Alpenglow's future, as well as that of our entire community. I'm concerned for our staff, who are my family, the financial viability of what the future holds, and for the collective health of the world at large - including beautiful people like yourself. I am amongst many other worried small business owners with high stakes and uncompromising financial realities and obligations. Failure, in short, is not an option.

Alpenglow has been serving the North Lake community for 41 years. We have ZERO intention of stopping now. Alpenglow lives by the mantra "inspire others to do what inspires them," and we derive tremendous fulfillment from doing so. Our original owner Don Fyfe poured over 30 years of his life into building the shop. Dave Nettle committed nearly 20 years. As the only other love affair in my life besides my marriage, I've been at it for over 15. Alpenglow is my life's work and collaborating with our staff to build something bigger than ourselves is something I'm tremendously proud of and fulfilled by. And that's not even mentioning the 100s of shop staffers who have bled Alpenglow orange and blue for over four decades. We have deep and expansive roots and the collective work we have put into the shop exemplifies a heritage brand.

Having said that, an undefined closure is a threat to any small business. Many stores only have financial reserves to tide them over for a few weeks. It is my worry that this virus scenario is going to erase many local businesses. Accordingly, it is our hope that we can now rely on 41-years of goodwill and expert service and ask that you support Alpenglow, in any way, where possible. The time is most definitely NOW. I encourage you to call us for gift card purchases and over the phone transactions. Please understand that no dollar amount is too small.

If you enjoy our litany of free events and how we seek to add value by cultivating community here in North Lake, I am now humbly requesting your support. We will be selling some fun Alpenglow gear on our Facebook platform shortly ... so stay tuned there as well!

We would not ask this were our seemingly unknown situation scary for not only the health of our business, but more importantly for the livelihood of our staff. And this goes beyond Alpenglow! PLEASE continue to support (responsibly of course) your favorite small shops in our community so that you will have the ability to enjoy them long after this passes.

Let's work together and look forward to better days. In the end, it will indeed be okay!

Love, light and hope .... and please call us!

Brendan and the entire Alpenglow Family,
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I've seen several families stocking up with multiple bags of groceries, to take home to the bay area.
    So you're at the store asking people where they're taking those groceries? Or were they holding up a sign announcing their destination? Or are you just making an assumption?

And again, the same exact thing is happening here, especially with our proximity to the bay area. Our local hospital is smaller than the one in Truckee. But I'm not being a drama queen about it, either.