Page 134 of 165 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 4118
    You observed 80% mask compliance on the Nevada side? That has certainly not been my experience around Incline (and Kings Beach / TC / Truckee for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    the amount of Starbucks litter I saw left behind at a Bernie Sanders event a couple of years ago was stunning
    My alma mater was a regular stop for the Grateful Dead in the 80s. I was always amazed at the amount of trash the Deadheads left behind (far worse than the football tailgaters).

teledad thanks for the link. Do not have time to read the whole document now but I did quickly peruse the the summary impact section. Interestingly, I found no reference to cumulative impacts or potential impacts of attracting greater user numbers. The EA generally limits its analysis to the actual trail and its foot print. It should be noted that the new restrooms will be located several hundred vertical feet above the lake level. I can imagine a lot people hiking back up to the road to use those facilities, can't you. The plan also does not include any trail upgrades to shore line access. Lots of social trails in there that have erosion problems that roadside BMPs will not solve. Pretty disappointing EA based on my first impression, but if you want the document to tell a predetermined story I guess it works.

This a tidbit I found about increased users

"2.4 Changes to proposed action that resulted from scopingcomments:
    Changes to the proposed action were incorporated based on input received:

Concern: The proposed parking lot expansions accommodate average use/demand for the area, whichmay be based on old data that does not accurately reflect the current use of the corridor.The proposed action was modified to increase parking to reflect increases in use from the timethat the SR28 Corridor Management Plan traffic study was completed. The parking lots have beendesigned to maximize parking based on the 2016 existing parking demand/conditions from trafficcount data."

so by the time they complete the project, the design demand data will be 9-10 years out of date.

I bet Carson city and the Minden valley will have no significant growth by then. Hey USFS thanks for the foresight
    Last edited by Redsmurfer; 08-12-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Maybe a special tax on White Claw
    Funniest thing I have read today....
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

As a matter of policy, USFS always completes “scoping” earlier in its NEPA decision making process, even when it’s project falls under a NEPA catex. The intent is to get input from the public about the project, input exactly like what you, Redsmurfer, stated above. You have to be a pretty engaged citizen to catch project scoping periods. Also, the project and outcome of the analysis may not change as a result of public input during scoping, but that early participation can make a difference in project design, enviro mitigation, and the substance of the analysis. Also, public input from scoping can serve as part of the foundation for challenging the gov’s decision making.

Regarding tourist/car fees, I believe this is something still being explored by TRTD. No?

With the current volume of crowds and cars, hope there’s no big fire from these t-storms. Evacuation can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'll love America when pigs fly.
    then you'll be pleased when we finally get to ski together...

Ad astra per alia porci!

Truckee is finally moving on an STR regulation, just in time for next summer.
    https://www.moonshineink.com/tahoe-n...nance-process/
    Sounds like they're going to pass on limiting them and focus on nuisance control, parking, noise etc, as well as increasing fees. Placer County has an ordinance that could go into effect tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    then you'll be pleased when we finally get to ski together...

Ad astra per alia porci!
    I focused on Steinbeck in my English major days, but didn't know about the winged pig meme (although of course the word "meme" wasn't around then.)

Sounds like they're going to pass on limiting [STRs].
    This is disappointing. It makes sense to me that gigification of housing has been the primary culprit in tightening the long-term rental market and also increasing traffic.
    Let's get more bike trails since ebikes are the new cars! (And we're never going to expand the existing roads for a dedicated bus lane or monorail).
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Any of you Tahoe mags going to join this guy? Or maybe he is a mag?
    https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/...m-15478823.php

Call me crazy, but perhaps it would be more effective to actually show up to some city council meetings instead? Like the aforementioned STR meeting Truckee just held?

What do they expect to happen from yelling at a bunch of tourists rolling into town? The news will cover it and then... move on, same old shit continues.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Call me crazy, but perhaps it would be more effective to actually show up to some city council meetings instead? Like the aforementioned STR meeting Truckee just held?

What do they expect to happen from yelling at a bunch of tourists rolling into town? The news will cover it and then... move on, same old shit continues.
    The meetings are virtual. You can leave a phone message in the public time before the agenda or when the item you're interested in comes up, and theoretically it will be played at the meeting, or you can leave written comments that the council members are supposed to read. Council meeting are second and fourth tuesdays at 6P. They can be watched on line. To comment, wait for the agenda to come out on the town's website under Town Council a few days before the meeitng, open the agenda, and there should be a link to comment.
    You can sign up on the town web site to be notified of meetings and a lot of other stuff, since the pandemic it's been hit and miss--mostly miss.

WTF is going on with the Town? COP and town manager both quit on short notice and the 3 incumbent council members up for reelection are not running. Maybe Moonshine Ink can figure out what's going on; the Sun sure won't.

Chief of Police Robert Leftwich retired after his George Floyd missive: https://www.kunr.org/post/truckee-po...s-not#stream/0

Neither South Lake Tahoe nor Truckee has done any effective STR regulation and, until now, Truckee Town Council has shown no interest in STRs. Even now, they are taking the easy road.

In SLT, it took a citizen initiative in South Lake for something to happen -- and it banned STRs from large swaths of SLT. Maybe we need our own ballot measure.... Measure S for #staythefuckhomewithyourchinavirus
    sproing!

Thinkin' ill tie a couple 'merican and a don't tread on meeee flag to my truck, put er in first and tie the steerin wheel to the side. round an around i go.

Interesting to see SF gate's spin on it compared to local news...
    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...nd-lake-tahoe/
    Tourism is a complicated issue at all times in Tahoe. We have more xenophobes than you can imagine. Our economy revolves around tourism (duh). Maybe all these bay area k00ks will help make our economy revolve around tourism a little bit less? I wonder how many people actually show up, ill report back tomorrow...

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Yeah, it’s pretty sad that an HOA (Tahoe Donner) instituted STR regulations long before the actual town it resides within started to even discuss the matter. And it sure does seem like something odd is going in Truckee with everyone quitting, etc.

It could be that all of this shit is too much to deal with and fuck it. Same thing is going on in my hometown of Sonoma (city manager retires suddenly, there are two open council seats and so far only one candidate, etc.). It’s actually very similar to Truckee in many ways.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

the str ban in slt is a fucking joke. go look at those giant mulitfamily homes built specifically to be str's in ski run zone and glenwood and herbert that are packed with cars every day if you doubt it. the developers have figured out that you can rent out rooms in your home as long as someone claims it as a fulltime residence......even though they dont actually live in it......but theres zero enforcement. big developers also still have their lawyers trying to squash it in court. measure T was a good idea........but has no teeth with no enforcement. fuck space force........we need STR SQUAD!!!!

i think these roundabout protests are more about trying to make tourists aware of the issues that we are facing because of them. if it gets a single tourist to not throw their trash out their window or to be a little kinder = success. that said, i may have to check it out for laughs and do a few laps in the meyers roundabout in support.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Let's get more bike trails since ebikes are the new cars! (And we're never going to expand the existing roads for a dedicated bus lane or monorail).
    http://triangle-transportation.com/r...he-draft-plan/

They are taking comments until the 17th if you want to talk about your thoughts on no. Tahoe transportation. Gondolas as long term solutions was my comment. Using existing infrastructure is such a short term solution. We need gov to start thinking 20+ years out, not just what to help this next year.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah, it’s pretty sad that an HOA (Tahoe Donner) instituted STR regulations long before the actual town it resides within started to even discuss the matter. And it sure does seem like something odd is going in Truckee with everyone quitting, etc.

It could be that all of this shit is too much to deal with and fuck it. Same thing is going on in my hometown of Sonoma (city manager retires suddenly, there are two open council seats and so far only one candidate, etc.). It’s actually very similar to Truckee in many ways.
    TD also enforces and facilitates defensible space in a way that should make Truckee ashamed.

WTF is going on with the Town? COP and town manager both quit on short notice and the 3 incumbent council members up for reelection are not running.
    I imagine the council members are making room for all the internet heroes out there who have it all figured out. Between Nextdoor and The Facebook community groups, there are clearly a bevy of qualified candidates who’ll do a much better job...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    http://triangle-transportation.com/r...he-draft-plan/

They are taking comments until the 17th if you want to talk about your thoughts on no. Tahoe transportation. Gondolas as long term solutions was my comment. Using existing infrastructure is such a short term solution. We need gov to start thinking 20+ years out, not just what to help this next year.
    There was a conceptual plan for a gondola system that priced out in the 8-9 figures. And how about a taxi/ferry service utilizing a lake. There's a big lake out there. Now activate your SAM ... to pay for the major transportation infrastructure we need the Winter Olympics.

But who is going to discard their car and carry all the stuff the gapers show up to the mountains with ? And what do I do with my dog ? And where's the parking ? We're screwed.

Another thought ... transportation solutions have to get locals out of their vehicles too. What's going to get me, or you, onto public transportation ? Free buses doesn't seem to be doing it. But e-bikes for short-haul transportation might help (despite my distaste for them for recreation).

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    There was a conceptual plan for a gondola system that priced out in the 8-9 figures. And how about a taxi/ferry service utilizing a lake. There's a big lake out there. Now activate your SAM ... to pay for the major transportation infrastructure we need the Winter Olympics.

But who is going to discard their car and carry all the stuff the gapers show up to the mountains with ? And what do I do with my dog ? And where's the parking ? We're screwed.

Another thought ... transportation solutions have to get locals out of their vehicles too. What's going to get me, or you, onto public transportation ? Free buses doesn't seem to be doing it. But e-bikes for short-haul transportation might help (despite my distaste for them for recreation).
    Placer co is one of the richest country's in California. The real problem is that they don't really want to solve these problems. Expensive housing is good for them. A desirable place helps keep property values high and helps keep us rich. You really don't want to do things that are affordable because it will bring in the cheapos.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Squaw has the on demand vans. Great solution.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Another thought ... transportation solutions have to get locals out of their vehicles too. What's going to get me, or you, onto public transportation?
    Much better infrastructure is needed, at least here on the south shore. Our mass transit is neither free, convenient, nor anywhere near the scope it needs to be to get locals out of their cars. If you don't live near Hwy 50, you're screwed. If you live in Meyers, Xmas Valley, basically anywhere that's not between the Y and Stateline, you're screwed. Even given the tiny scope of their operation, the service is inconvenient and unreliable.
    At the same time, we also have to consider what mass transit will look like going forward. It's hard to commit funds to mass transit infrastructure when the pandemic has shown just how fragile the demand for it can be.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Some data to show how irrelevant Tahoe (and Truckee) is to Placer using 2010 census data ...

• There were 15,206 residents in East Placer County, representing 4.4% of the total Placer population.
    • The vast majority of those are in N and W Tahoe, 12,680 residents.

But to make Tahoe more relevant let's look at housing units.

• There were 19,819 housing units (more than 1 housing unit per resident !) which was 13% of the total housing units.
    • But 12,020 of those housing units were not full time residents

And the bigger problems are in SLT which is El Dorado County, and Truckee in Nevada County (mostly).

Placer will take the tax revenue and spend it down the hill 'cause it's the people who are expensive to provide services, not the housing units.
    Last edited by truckeelocal; 08-14-2020 at 12:38 PM.

As a reminder those roundabout protests are happening this weekend at 4pm Friday and 9am Sunday. Seeing that there is going to be a brutal heat wave all over California it's probably going to get super crowded up here this weekend. For those of you like me that don't want to leave your house here is a link to the traffic cam at the Meyers roundabout, should be good for a few laughs if anyone actually shows up to protest.

http://cwwp2.dot.ca.gov/vm/loc/d3/hwy50atmeyers.htm