Page 10 of 165 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    I used to ski Mt Rose occasionally until I shot up the cheap pass heroin w KSL. Great mountain with the Chutes open or when the snow level is too high for Squalpine. Not bad other times but not worth the drive from Truckee. I liked the sign they had--"No dogs, no sleds, no mullets."

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    skioff under wizard this weekend?
    these are the conditions my new quixote's are built for.

man the chutes open just fine. If you don't like it, tour for turns until they do. Works just fine for me. Hard to listen to people bitch about the chutes not being open if you were there the day a guy poached them and died in a slide a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I have yet to ski Mt. Rose...

Just sayin'
    This is a pretty big fail, imho.

What with your love for Moment skis...*made down the road a ways*...and you skiing SV now...*about an hours drive away*.

Just sayin'

(Chutes are thrillingly steep, and a lot less exposure. And easier access than some stuff you ski)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

One of my favorite things about Rose is that you are usually skiing downhill within 15 minutes of driving into the parking lot. You aren't forced to walk half a mile, take a shuttle, or wander through a fake-European village with dog bakeries and sushi restaurants. It has a lot of old-school Tahoe charm. It also has above-average food and groomers. The worst thing, IMO, is that the mountain doesn't really have the cliffy/nooky/mini-golf terrain features of places like Kirkwood, Squaw, Alpine, or Sugar Bowl. The Chutes are fun, but they get tracked out quickly unless you have good timing on a weekday. Anyhow, I've always hoped for some kind of partnership between Sugar Bowl and Rose, which would be a sweet combo pass.

^^ you make a good point.
    There are a few wee bits of mini-golf on frontside.
    I think I prefer Chutes as spring bumps, actually.
    Can all be over kinda quickly if it is smooth untracked.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190121_135224.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	299035

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Alpine Meadows aka the Resort with No Name has it all... easy access, no village BS, legit terrain, good elevation, not in the middle of nowhere (sorry KW). Damn, several weeks out, let’s do this. I need it more than ever.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Anyhow, I've always hoped for some kind of partnership between Sugar Bowl and Rose, which would be a sweet combo pass.
    I dream of this as well. Seems like it'd be rad and a natural fit.

The old Sugarwood pass was cool too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Alpine Meadows aka the Resort with No Name has it all... easy access, no village BS, legit terrain, good elevation, not in the middle of nowhere (sorry KW). Damn, several weeks out, let’s do this. I need it more than ever.
    A.k.a
    *Tracked out in a half hour*
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170124_115546.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	299104

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I have yet to ski Mt. Rose...

Just sayin'
    Me neither. Probably gonna fix that this year.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

This happened at my friend's house in Tahoe Donner a couple days ago. Their friends were staying there. They arrived and left the garage door open. Bear came in and grabbed some ice cream and left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

At least he left the wine.

The bears in my neighborhood have been quite considerate this fall. They’ll try you car doors and leave them alone if locked. If unlocked they use the handle and sniff around...unless there is food in there. One morning driving down our street there were 6 different cars with their passenger doors wide open.

Last year we had one jump in the kitchen through the screen on a cracked window. My old lady chased the young’n out with a broom.

We’ve paintballed a few, but I suspect they’ll stick around as long as the humans do.

I'm just hoping they don't learn how to drive . . . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01482.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	299147

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    A.k.a
    Nah, Squaw gets tracked out in a half an hour. AM has a decent amount of stuff you have to traverse over to, or with a sketchy entrance, so it definitely last WAY longer.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Nah, Squaw gets tracked out in a half an hour. AM has a decent amount of stuff you have to traverse over to, or with a sketchy entrance, so it definitely last WAY longer.
    Used to be 2 days, now its like 2 hours. Pretty crazy how the increase in "rad dog" traffic from Squaw really ups the amount of people willing to traverse/hike or take sketchy entrances for POW

Just a thought about AM. There's so many powder days they allow people to traverse all the way over to the Buttress straight across Bernies face. This traverse has lots of spots that go right under unbombed avy terrain. How they allow this is beyond me. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. There's absolutely no control on where people can traverse on days like this, soooo what's to stop me from bringing skins and "traversing" at a slightly steeper angle?

Alpine has some of the most illogical terrain management I've ever seen. I really wish they'd take a stance that completely closes anything past lower beaver unless they can open everything above. I'm sorry, but people can live without traversing a mile to ski 400 vertical feet. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    A.k.a
    Not if you know what you're doing. Stashes all day long if you're willing to hike a few minutes and know where to go.

Actually, nevermind! Alpine gets tracked out! No reason to bother. ;-)

Alpine is one of my favorite resorts in Tahoe. It will be interesting to see how climate change and Alterra will alter the experience over the next few years.

I have been to Rose a few times. It is a lovely resort that used to be sleeper due to its location on the east side of the lake, no village and lack of impressive stats on paper. With Reno growing quickly and snow levels rising, I wonder much it will change with regards to crowds.

Technically more East side stoke, but Matterhorn mid December last season...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4127.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	299243

Well, it was 90 degrees in the Bay Area today, so I figured it was a good day to mount my new mud flaps and snow tires / wheels on the new car. Also recently wrapped the roof black and added some pumpkin logos. That's about it for mods to the new car. You'll see her around Tahoe this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	299295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	299296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	299297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pumpkin4.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	299298  

-snowsprite

Ben Spillman spilling the tea:
    https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdo...se/4013342002/

Also, what is it with people who can't accept other people don't like sharing certain areas with snowmobiles and resort to intimidation, abusive language, and threats in order to get their way? Kinda fashy. Democracy sucks and you don't always get what you want, but at least we don't have to have literal shooting wars to resolve land management differences.

Advocates for tighter restrictions on snowmobiles in the forest have received emails that include anti-gay slurs, foul language and references to violence.
    https://rgj.com/story/life/outdoors/...res/634261002/
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Yet another reason to not become a snowshoer.

But in all seriousness -thats so lame and unproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Ben Spillman spilling the tea:
    https://www.rgj.com/story/life/outdo...se/4013342002/

Also, what is it with people who can't accept other people don't like sharing certain areas with snowmobiles and resort to intimidation, abusive language, and threats in order to get their way? Kinda fashy. Democracy sucks and you don't always get what you want, but at least we don't have to have literal shooting wars to resolve land management differences.

https://rgj.com/story/life/outdoors/...res/634261002/
    What's with reporters who can't come up with anything new and just reprint stuff they wrote over a year ago, giving the false impression that this is some ongoing phenomenon?

What's with elitist entitled skiers or snoeshoers who don't realize that 60% of the basin is already non-motorized and can't be bothered to look at a map?

edit: here's a decent writeup from someone who doesn't just talk to one person from snowlands. This one contains information.
    https://southtahoenow.com/story/10/2...rts-lake-tahoe
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-25-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

How about creating more parking (e.g., Ruby, Jakes, and at Sherwood after lift ops have started), plowing State Park lots (DL Bliss), and establishing more Sno-Parks?? I think we can all get behind that...

Sinecure - that ride is amazing. Hope you got some bulletproof paint protector on it though! Sweet shot gnarbro (did you move??).
    sproing!

I don't own or intend to own a snowmobile. But I am in the Rose BC all the time, and I genuinely don't get the anti-snowmobile thing. I understand that not everybody shares my sensibilities, but the purported user conflict seems limited to a small minority who are especially sensitive to the minor irritation of sometimes sharing proximate space with others. "I want a pure wilderness experience within a 20-minute drive of Reno and immediately off of Tahoe's most popular trailhead, and the distant sound of a braap over the noise of 431 traffic utterly shatters that experience." Based on my (admittedly) anecdotal observation, the rest of us seem to coexist just fine. YMMV.

gnarbro365: That's a great shot. I wouldn't have guessed it was the Matterhorn.