Page 9 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Fwiw, Mt.Rose is planning to open a wrod under Wizard, beginner lift, next Friday 25, through Sunday.
    $20 lift tix.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^that sounds like it sucks. but it's mount rose and they keep doing stuff like this
    Attachment 278466
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^that sounds like it sucks. but it's mount rose and they keep doing stuff like this
    Attachment 278466
    While I enjoy & appreciate the "stuff like this" they do for the passholders, I've become increasingly unhappy with the lousier & lousier job they do each year at getting The Chutes open. Especially now that a full pass was almost $600. That's a lot to pay in a competitive ski pass market to just ski NW & Zephyr.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

We picked up my son’s ski team jacket on Saturday. There was a pickup with a “Close the Chutes” sticker. I told my wife that would be a fine stocking stuffer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not sure i am getting the jist of a "close the chutes" bumper sticker. Opening the chutes is always a tough call. It seems they have been bombing the hell out of it the last few years (big snow years). I personally would have them wait a couple of days before bombing and opening. It seems if they bomb too early after a dump a lot of good lines slide before they get a chance to set up. This may get them to open it up sooner but also screws up the run. I am not telling ski patrol how to do their job, but I would rather wait a day or 2 and get them good then have them open up with avi debris in every chute. The death and burial 2 years ago likely informs a lot of their decisions though.

^^^^^This. There is plenty of terrain in Tahoe that would be worth saving a day or two after a storm, especially if we have cold nights and low sun angle. Chutes seem prime as they are easy to regulate.

I agree. Unfortunately how do you keep the poachers at bay for two days?

And everyone else from yelling at patrol, lifties, F&B staff, or any other employee, about terrain being closed?

To a certain extent, they are also bombing the chutes to protect the access road and possibly the highway. A few years back, I know Nightmare slid a quarter mile past the access road and buried the road about 10 feet deep (or more). I believe that other chutes did slide to the highway before patrol started routinely bombing.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately how do you keep the poachers at bay for two days?
    Cut there pass and prosecute them under the law.

Same shot happens at KW all the time. Then patrol/Corp does nothing other than give a warning and guess what, they continue poaching. If there were actual consequences for poaching closed terrain, people would stop doing it.

When I was at Alta, no one poached Castle for three days as they let the snow settle.

The Chutes seems an easy enough place to catch poachers. They end up down at the road.

Protecting the road is a whole other thing tho. If that is the case, then no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    And everyone else from yelling at patrol, lifties, F&B staff, or any other employee, about terrain being closed?
    Cut their passes too.

at BV we clip tickets, hold passes, and even have poachers cited by ACSO depending on circumstances. Mostly we talk to people.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

This...
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I've become increasingly unhappy with the lousier & lousier job they do each year at getting The Chutes open. Especially now that a full pass was almost $600. That's a lot to pay in a competitive ski pass market to just ski NW & Zephyr.
    vs this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^^This. There is plenty of terrain in Tahoe that would be worth saving a day or two after a storm, especially if we have cold nights and low sun angle. Chutes seem prime as they are easy to regulate.
    I'd say the majority of folks at your average ski hill don't understand that most of the time, Sierra storms can be dealt with passively and a little patience might preserve some powder. Most guests want the terrain open the day they are there and don't have the luxury to wait until the storm slab settles out. Ski resorts run by major corporations are definitely judged by their owners by how many FULL operating days they can produce.

I agree, letting terrain sit to produce a better product would be ideal. But that is why I have touring gear...

sometimes sitting on stuff is dependent upon time and personnel

if we don’t have enough people or enough time, we might not be able to get much more than the normal terrain open

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    sometimes sitting on stuff is dependent upon time and personnel

if we don’t have enough people or enough time, we might not be able to get much more than the normal terrain open
    You were busting your ass to get Griz open last year. Those days were a lot of fun.

Sorry, not buying protecting the road theory. Please remember the chutes have only been open for about 15 years or so. Nightmare is really the only chute that threatens the access road to the slide side. The one that took out the road a few years ago I believe was intentionally set off. Take a close look at the size of trees at the base, this might indicate that natural slides are pretty rare in most of the chutes. Slides coming from the El Cap side of the zone have a pretty decent runout before they get to the road. I cannot recall the main highway ever being closed in that area due to a slide. Other area around the Galena/Tamarack parking area has been closed but that was caused by some stupid skiers accessing small roadside runs immediately above the highway from the Galena/Tamarack parking area. NDOT has never installed any type of avi control there prior to it becoming part of the resort.

My guess its more about customer bitching and to that regard you can never satisfy everyone.

I have yet to ski Mt. Rose...

Just sayin'

Just say'n that is a good thing, Mr social media whore, post boast'r, very good skier person.

I should preface that I'd like to but it just has yet to happen in my 42 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Just say'n that is a good thing, Mr social media whore, post boast'r, very good skier person.
    Whoa there, who pissed in your Cheerios, GrumpySmurf? 666 is about the nicest dude you could ever meet, full of stoke and posts about it, and I don't think I've ever heard a complaint or a negative comment from him (except "damn, I was wish skiing today!").

Then again, I suppose it's easy to be a keyboard warrior, insult people on the internet, be grumpy about everyone else's way of doing things, and think you're winning. Why you'd think that, I have no idea.
    sproing!

Not sure i am getting the jist of a "close the chutes" bumper sticker. Opening the chutes is always a tough call. It seems they have been bombing the hell out of it the last few years (big snow years). I personally would have them wait a couple of days before bombing and opening. It seems if they bomb too early after a dump a lot of good lines slide before they get a chance to set up. This may get them to open it up sooner but also screws up the run. I am not telling ski patrol how to do their job, but I would rather wait a day or 2 and get them good then have them open up with avi debris in every chute. The death and burial 2 years ago likely informs a lot of their decisions though.
    A bit tongue in cheek as I line up with the rest to hit the chutes when they open in pow. But the elitist hiking prick in me remembers fondly skiing the chutes in the spring before they were bumped out by the masses and drained with repeated bombing for the masses. Are they still fun? Sure. Are pow days great? Yeah, for a few runs. I’m in the minority and waxing nostalgic, but I liked those north facing, velvety smooth late season corn runs.

I also want a “It’s slide, stupid” sticker. Winkeez and smilerz.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

GrumpySmurf? 666
    skioff under wizard this weekend?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

oh shit

Basin Peak today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3758.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	298953

4 Patches (2 on the backside, 2 on the frontside)
    16 runs (shortest = 6 turns; longest = 14 turns)
    Snow was layered Hawaiian shaved ice with slight dimpling. It was firm, yet semi-soft and edgeable; not quite corn but getting there.

#blizzardskis #LiveTheMoment
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-22-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Did you forget the wink at the end of that or are you just an asshole? Casey isn't a social media whore, he's a spreader of stoke. It's not like he needs any of that like some social media "pro" skier.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I should preface that I'd like to but it just has yet to happen in my 42 years...
    Same! (well, 39.95 years not 42) - I keep meaning to get up there but it never seems to happen. Only resort in the area I've never been to, somehow. Although I've skied right next to it.