Page 66 of 165 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I’ve got a shit ton of friends and family who are doctors and nurses and they don’t think it’s bullshit at all.
    Of course they don't. They're brainwashed into believing everything the CDC and WHO says. A LOT of doctors think it's completely overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Of course they don't. They're brainwashed into believing everything the CDC and WHO says. A LOT of doctors think it's completely overblown.
    That... or maybe they are seeing this shit firsthand and are better educated than you.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That... or maybe they are seeing this shit firsthand and are better educated than you.
    Spanish flu comparisons, people hoarding toilet paper, price gouging hand sanatizer.

You can't honestly say there is no mass hysteria at play here can you? Regardless of if it's the right decision, people are being idiots, per usual.

https://youtu.be/WPMMNvYTEyI

Well that escalated quickly...I guess I'll be home trying to organize the freezer since my wife is preparing for the apocalypse.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the next shoe that keeps dropping, I decided to turn off the internet for a spell. Self-isolated in the cabin I sought refuge, if only for a moment, in my collection of Couloir Magazines. Grinning as I leafed past advertisements for leather, pins, and the Ramer Revolution, was lucky to pluck off the shelf the December 2000 edition with the story of my favorite Viking - Fridjof Nansen.

“Nansen embodied the “idraet” ideal of Norwegian skiing, an almost mystical belief that skiing perfected not just the physical body but the individual spirit as well. The mountains were filled with sun, energy and joy”

Although slow out the door, I had a full tank of Idraef. I decided to forego the vehicle and nourish the body and the spirit. I would tour in the blizzard 5 miles from Serene Lakes to Sugar Bowl, knowing the snow would be stacked by the time I’d be riding the lifts. Wind whistling and snow swirling, I was distracted enroute. I dropped some north facing tree runs left of Crows, causing me to arrive at Disney just as it closed early.

Well, as Dostie would say, Nansen did not need no stink’in lifts. Put my skins back on to gain the Crows ridge and traverse back to Serene Lakes. Told by a Patroller on a sled that I could not up-hill travel, I ducked into the trees and climbed. On the ridge, concluding a skin track in knee deep is a terrible thing to waste, I made two more pow runs.

Now throughly encrusted in snow, I began the long deep class III slog through the woods in waning daylight. If I was Muir, this is when I would have reached for some hardtack, whatever the hell that is. But today was a Viking endeavor. Delighting in my stormy situation, I channeled what Nansen wrote over a 150 years earlier,

“Where can one find a healthier and purer delight than when on a brilliant winter day one binds one’s ski to one’s feet and takes one’s way out into the forest? … Civilization is, as it were, washed clean from the mind and left far behind with the city atmosphere and city life; one’s whole being is, so to say, wrapped in one’s ski and the surrounding nature.”

Made it back to the cabin, tired but refreshed only to learn that SB was corona-cancelled and of other surreal realities of the consequence of ignoring science. Appropriately, I played the Talking Heads’s Life During Wartime, took stock of how much peanut butter was in the pantry and went to sleep bracing for tomorrow.

PSA to all the newly unemployed:
    Go get signed up for unemployment insurance ASAP. www.edd.ca.gov in California. CA has waved the initial week waiting period for benefits. You and your employer pay for this insurance and it helps keep money going into the economy so please take advantage of it!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    PSA to all the newly unemployed:
    Go get signed up for unemployment insurance ASAP. www.edd.ca.gov in California. CA has waved the initial week waiting period for benefits. You and your employer pay for this insurance and it helps keep money going into the economy so please take advantage of it!
    More specific link

https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/faqs.htm

Make smart decisions, y’all.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post
    Spanish flu comparisons, people hoarding toilet paper, price gouging hand sanatizer.
    spanish flu comparisons are entirely appropriate. That IS what we're facing.
    Spanish flu R0~ 2.1% Covid R0~ 2.3%
    Spanish flu case mortality~ 2.5% Covid mortality~ 3.4%

main difference being the age group affected
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Well, the contagion is real, like many others this century and it will peak out and fade to nothing just like it has in China in roughly 2 weeks...I suspect on the order of 200,000 cases (100+X current), and 5K deaths here (1/3 of swine flu). This mass worldwide hysteria and economic volatility is quite unique. I have my suspicions this is media catalyzed, but I'll hold that theory. For now.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

that was rad dark energy thanx for sharing+++
    shoveled another 18" at 7.7k from overnight accumulations of cold smoke blower. hopefully the light density keeps it from being a wigglefest

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNebraski View Post

You can't honestly say there is no mass hysteria at play here can you? Regardless of if it's the right decision, people are being idiots, per usual.

https://youtu.be/WPMMNvYTEyI
    For sure it’s over the top (like the toilet paper thing). It doesn’t make the whole thing bullshit.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

In Italy for example there having to decide who they will try to save, there’s only so many ventilators and a magnitude number more people who need them. If your a smoker and especially if you have CPOD, or your lungs are comprised for some reason I’d be pretty concerned right now.

Sitting tight today, definitely saw that sugar layer under the new snow in all the hand pits I dug yesterday, I think the avy forecast for today is spot on

Dark Energy I don't know who you are or why you've only made 17 posts but that was epic and welcome to the thread

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Well, the contagion is real, like many others this century and it will peak out and fade to nothing just like it has in China in roughly 2 weeks...I suspect on the order of 200,000 cases (100+X current), and 5K deaths here (1/3 of swine flu). This mass worldwide hysteria and economic volatility is quite unique. I have my suspicions this is media catalyzed, but I'll hold that theory. For now.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
    What makes you trust numbers coming out of China? Do you believe their cases truly capped at around 80k a few weeks ago? They quarantined and entire city of 10 million. No way there are not more infected.

Bg, i am in France for a year, and i assure you it's real.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Damnit! This drift sucks. They are new cases in China. Wuhan is still mostly on lockdown, which is why the volume of cases has reduced. Also, the Wuhan area has several thousand people “contact tracking.”

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    In Italy for example there having to decide who they will try to save, there’s only so many ventilators and a magnitude number more people who need them. If your a smoker and especially if you have CPOD, or your lungs are comprised for some reason I’d be pretty concerned right now.

Sitting tight today, definitely saw that sugar layer under the new snow in all the hand pits I dug yesterday, I think the avy forecast for today is spot on
    i've switched to mostly edibles for just that reason.
    also, i blew the drive last night and this morning. I was expecting lighter snow this morning but got the opposite. Scary for sure out there today.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Maybe this will provide you with a much needed dose of perspective and reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra0yr0ShOeU

BTW, it's going to get several times worse than that before it gets better.

Bombing all morning at Sugar Bowl. I wonder what their uphilling policy will be post closure.
    It's not just infrastructure that needs protecting. I doubt most resorts got much of the mountain stripped, given the short notice. I would think people will be working on the mountain as soon as it's safe. But I've never worked at a ski area; what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Energy View Post
    Feeling a bit overwhelmed by the next shoe that keeps dropping, I decided to turn off the internet for a spell. Self-isolated in the cabin I sought refuge, if only for a moment, in my collection of Couloir Magazines. Grinning as I leafed past advertisements for leather, pins, and the Ramer Revolution, was lucky to pluck off the shelf the December 2000 edition with the story of my favorite Viking - Fridjof Nansen.

“Nansen embodied the “idraet” ideal of Norwegian skiing, an almost mystical belief that skiing perfected not just the physical body but the individual spirit as well. The mountains were filled with sun, energy and joy”

Although slow out the door, I had a full tank of Idraef. I decided to forego the vehicle and nourish the body and the spirit. I would tour in the blizzard 5 miles from Serene Lakes to Sugar Bowl, knowing the snow would be stacked by the time I’d be riding the lifts. Wind whistling and snow swirling, I was distracted enroute. I dropped some north facing tree runs left of Crows, causing me to arrive at Disney just as it closed early.

Well, as Dostie would say, Nansen did not need no stink’in lifts. Put my skins back on to gain the Crows ridge and traverse back to Serene Lakes. Told by a Patroller on a sled that I could not up-hill travel, I ducked into the trees and climbed. On the ridge, concluding a skin track in knee deep is a terrible thing to waste, I made two more pow runs.

Now throughly encrusted in snow, I began the long deep class III slog through the woods in waning daylight. If I was Muir, this is when I would have reached for some hardtack, whatever the hell that is. But today was a Viking endeavor. Delighting in my stormy situation, I channeled what Nansen wrote over a 150 years earlier,

“Where can one find a healthier and purer delight than when on a brilliant winter day one binds one’s ski to one’s feet and takes one’s way out into the forest? … Civilization is, as it were, washed clean from the mind and left far behind with the city atmosphere and city life; one’s whole being is, so to say, wrapped in one’s ski and the surrounding nature.”

Made it back to the cabin, tired but refreshed only to learn that SB was corona-cancelled and of other surreal realities of the consequence of ignoring science. Appropriately, I played the Talking Heads’s Life During Wartime, took stock of how much peanut butter was in the pantry and went to sleep bracing for tomorrow.
    Nice work
    . . .

Found my very old XC gear! If anyone sees an old fart in high top leather 3 pin boots and skinny metal edged XC touring skis, say hi and try not to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    From twitter:
    ☆What Sierra Resorts are open today?
    1. Bear Valley
    2. Mt Rose
    3. Homewood
    4. Diamond Peak
    Stay'nFrosty Coop☆

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    That list is getting shorter for tomorrow.
    Got up to Diamond Peak for a few hours this AM. Good in spots, wind affected in others and thicker down low.
    Had a feeling and not too surprising but they've just posted they're suspending operations from March 16-20.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

deleted

Goodbye Bay Area, just wish the resorts closed down before everyone headed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Covid mortality~ 3.4%
    Bro,...chill. It's well under 1%. Went out to breakfast this morning in Reno. Apparently no fucks given. Place was packed with people waiting the entire time we were there. Little kids and old people everywhere. I applaud all private businesses that decided to stay open. Everything has been a massive knee jerk reaction based on liability concerns and nothing else.