Page 59 of 165 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 4118
    I got a nice core shot today, too. Didn’t tumble through a reef, which was good.

noisy pow. low angle fared best

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    noisy pow. low angle fared best
    Heavenly skied great today. Nevada side was relatively well-protected from wind, and skiing the low-angle trees was the best skiing I’ve had in a while. They opened Mott and killbrew, but just wasn’t worth it given the coverage

Sticking to low-angle terrain, mount rose backcountry will probably ski pretty well tomorrow. North to northeast aspects were still pretty well protected and still had decent coverage
    Last edited by HJ5; 03-01-2020 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Adding some info

as others have said, low angle was the dangle. and yes, it is still firm underneath
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

That is quite the snow snake. New sticks?

i've been using them in the resort but just cut the new skins for them. The heaviest set up i've ever skied makes quite a change from the noctas and dynafiddles which has been the lightest set up i've ever skied.

Did anyone attend the Red Bull skimo event at Squaw last year?

Looks like it's slated for early April. Am considering making the trip down to shoot some photos.

Fun? Lame? A little of both?

I am interested in the format. Reminds me a little of Enduro MTB mixing elements of traditional timed skimo with a freeride comp.

Here is a link for anyone interested...

https://squawalpine.com/events-things-do/red-bull-raid

Last year it was in Silverado and probably the ideal venue. However, Silverado has yet to open this season. Not sure where location #2 would be but maybe up Granite Peak or Cornice II/Light Towers/Slot would make most sense to me.

Naturally, I was out of town for a wedding for the first snow in 6 to 800 weeks. Got out this morning in the Rose area, and it was . . . weird. 12-18" of blower powder on top of ice, rock, and manzanita. (Maybe I could have picked a better line, but I wanted to avoid the crowds.) The snow was so light that my skis and boots were completely submerged, and I was turning on the ice layer beneath. There was very little surfiness involved. Kinda fun, but also kinda disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Naturally, I was out of town for a wedding for the first snow in 6 to 800 weeks. Got out this morning in the Rose area, and it was . . . weird. 12-18" of blower powder on top of ice, rock, and manzanita. (Maybe I could have picked a better line, but I wanted to avoid the crowds.) The snow was so light that my skis and boots were completely submerged, and I was turning on the ice layer beneath. There was very little surfiness involved. Kinda fun, but also kinda disappointing.
    Rose side was waaaay better. NW being closed off and in made it challenging, but traversing and the tree shots were worth it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scmartin69; 03-02-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    All day yesterday, I was reminded of the one (angry) year I lived in Colorado - boot-to-shin blower where you hit ice bumps on every turn. That, and everything was sloughing like mad (or already had sloughed). I'll take any snow we can get this winter, but I sure do love me some progressive Sierra storms that start warm, lay a nice and smooth supportive base that covers all the ice underneath, then cool off leaving a topper of fine Sierra cream.

That said, I sure loved having an icy beard after every run!
    sproing!

well I put the sleep in sleeper pow day. FML
    Hello darkness my old friend

If you skied something with some west in it today you had a smile on your face and some snow

Gimpy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice turns under this in killebrew. At least the hike out is snow covered for now. Does mm go?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The west.......is the best
    Pre work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9932.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	318558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9865.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	318559
    Post work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	318561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	318562

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    All day yesterday, I was reminded of the one (angry) year I lived in Colorado - boot-to-shin blower where you hit ice bumps on every turn. That, and everything was sloughing like mad (or already had sloughed). I'll take any snow we can get this winter, but I sure do love me some progressive Sierra storms that start warm, lay a nice and smooth supportive base that covers all the ice underneath, then cool off leaving a topper of fine Sierra cream.

That said, I sure loved having an icy beard after every run!
    Preach! I skied 18 inches at Alta once and it wasn't bottomless. Heavier snow (within reason) is highly underrated. A nice warm to cool storm is like nature's way of grooming the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Ice turns under this in killebrew. At least the hike out is snow covered for now. Does mm go?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    If you mean Mott canyon, it was pretty rough skiing yesterday. Snow was sloughing off quite a bit and coverage was all over the place. No way to know if you were going to ski over dirt, rocks, or ice

Most y’all are novices and complaining about a powder day?!

I spent most of my day yesterday tracking the wind, avoiding the icy stuff, and used my non pow skis novice move. Plenty of face shots. Also found some windbuff and a rock or two.

Tahoej, the classic cottonwood canyons storms start wet-ish and end dry, thus the bottomless feel.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 03-03-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    If you skied something with some west in it today you had a smile on your face and some snow
    Faces direct west. The smile was there anyway

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Maybe pick a spot that had a base already that was actively loading

Nice looking post work turns gimpy

This must be a mistake
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 03-03-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    If you mean Mott canyon, it was pretty rough skiing yesterday. Snow was sloughing off quite a bit and coverage was all over the place. No way to know if you were going to ski over dirt, rocks, or ice
    Meant Minden, kinda jokingly/hopeful.

Good to see the coverage goes to lake level. Some killer gnar in that vid.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Faces direct west. The smile was there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Preach! I skied 18 inches at Alta once and it wasn't bottomless. Heavier snow (within reason) is highly underrated. A nice warm to cool storm is like nature's way of grooming the mountain.
    Yep! I did a season in Park City and I was rudely awakened to this little fact when I went out for a 2ft day thinking I was going to get bottomless pow and after the 2nd turn I abruptly ate my knees.... Once I figured out "powder bumps" it was kind of fun but all things being equal, I much prefer the classic Tahoe warm to cold storm with boot top powder over a 2ft blower day... unless that 2ft blower storm is the last in a cycle of storms....
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar