Page 92 of 108 FirstFirst ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2687
  1. #2276
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,043
    damn emcee that was hilarious and amazing.


  2. #2277
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,948
    i think the non full time resident people are being too sensitive about this thing. its not an us vs them situation. if your primary residence is not in tahoe, if your kids dont go to tahoe schools, you dont work at a local biz, if you dont coach youth teams, volunteer for sar, if you .........the list is endless; then please dont be here now until this shit gets sorted out. just because you pay property taxes and support local biz doesnt make you part of the full-time resident stats that county officials use to determine infrastructure needs. basically, its all about the math. trust the math and science and not the opinions. because of the math, officials are asking second home owners to not be here now. its pretty fucking simple and i cant wait till this shit is over so we can welcome all of our visitors again from wherever they are from. i cant even visit my terminal mother in colorado right now so believe me when i say this shit cant end soon enough. be kind++++

  3. #2278
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

    Following prolonged deliberation, El Dorado and Placer county health officials, mayors and community leaders created a joint statement with a simple message: "if you don't live here, please go away." When pressed for further clarification, they re-iterated that this directive specifically applies to homeowners who claim a primary residence outside of the county area, stating that part-time homeowners should "fuck right off and get out of here".

    Listeners questioned how second homeowners who are abiding by the letter and spirit of the shelter in place rules are creating more risk in the community. "They're coming here from the Bay Area and bringing the China virus with them," county officials explained, "There was no China virus before they were here, and now they're here and now we have it. We just don't trust them or have the infrastructure here to care for them."

    Second homeowners who have been living here for the winter questioned why their circumstances are different from the seasonal workers and J-1s visiting temporarily from New Hampshire and Argentina. "Well the seasonal workers are different, they have worse jobs than ours, so we're not intimidated by them and frankly, we need somebody left in the community to look down on" a county spokesman entered into the public record.

    They continued, "Look, we really love our second homeowners, but it's just not the time for you to be up here. You need to go back to where you came from. And keep paying your property taxes, and please continue to support Tahoe small businesses - just from afar." When pressed on the logistics of this, county officials replied "please just leave a pile of cash in an envelope on your doorstep when you depart. We will ensure the money is split equitably between Alpenglow, the Keep Tahoe Blue Foundation, and the Placer County motor vehicle pool budget. And please continue to purchase homes to support our property values, just don't plan to come live in them, or rent them. Just please look at photos of your new home on Zillow from your Bay Area couch."

    Asked about the limited resources in the Tahoe area as they prepare for a surge, a Placer County health officer replied, "we are very fortunate to be close to the Bay Area and their world-class health infrastructure - we are currently receiving surplus medical devices from their stockpile and have contingencies to send patients down the hill to open beds should the need arise."

    Exasperated listeners made a final press on the fairness of the issue, and mechanisms for enforcement. County spokespeople replied unanimously, "The Bay visitors have been nothing but trouble, especially the second homeowners just trying to live safely with their families. All Tahoe locals have been perfectly abiding by the shelter in place rules, staying in their homes and only leaving for a walk around the block and picking up prescriptions for their elderly neighbors. These second homeowners and their small children have been congregating at trailheads, posting photos of sick air on Instagram, throwing bonfire parties behind the Raley's and engaging in generally unsafe behavior. Look, we full-time residents have always had a love-hate relationship with the part-time residents, and this health crisis is giving us the opportunity to really lean into the 'hate' side of things."

    County officials did acknowledged that this directive could only be taken as a suggestion, and preventing somebody from abiding by shelter in place rules at their own physical residence is legally and constitutionally unenforceable.
    Damn right.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  4. #2279
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post


    also, re the j-1 workers. what is happening with them anyway? this is typically when they go home. were they able to leave early? are they able to leave now?
    Most were only scheduled to be here through early- or mid-March. A few were scrambling to get out of here before air travel was restricted, but I don't think there's more than a few that didn't make it out in time.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  5. #2280
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    2,292
    This should not even need to be said, but as I just can't stop shaking my head at some of these postings, evidently it does:

    What anyone else does is none of your damn business!

    Just like what you do is no one else's business!

    Nobody likes that busy-body, nosy neighbor who thinks they have the right to keep track of others or tell them how to live their lives.

    Things are stressful enough without guilting and shaming others because they're making choices and decisons that you don't agree with. Deal with it!

    Act like an adult and mind your own fucking business!!!

    If you say things are different in the age of the Covid, you're ignoring that this behavior has been going on far longer than the past 3 months.

    If things go the way of modern day China or the 70s USSR, I shudder to think how many here would turn their neighbors in for a cash reward.

    Get a grip!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

  6. #2281
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,546
    mind your own business

    good advice

  7. #2282
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,914
    How do you define neighbor? Is the family that just showed up with New York plates your 'neighbor'? Given that you know they don't care too much about 'shelter in place'. FWIW I don't know that's happening much down here on the south shore.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  8. #2283
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    11,692
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i think EVERYONE IS being too sensitive about this thing.
    FIFY.

    Seriously. So much hyperbole in both directions.

  9. #2284
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,820
    Santa Cruz closed all public beaches, parks and trails. Too many people driving to popular locations causing congestion in places, and coming from too far away. So they shut it all down. They are trying to especially dissuade people from driving from outside the county or between communities. If this causes some reckless drivers to drive more recklessly, they still want us to stop mixing populations. So now there is way less access to things that were close to everyone's homes if they exercised on their way outside to exercise instead of drive.

    And they are tracking your phones. If you own an iPhone or Android, that is. Part of how they determined how many people wee riving moderate and long distances to reach their destination. So if you are still traveling, at least leave your phone at home.

    I know of at lest two groups headed up there this weekend. They have their rationalizations. Done trying to keep everyone to shelter in place. This sucks. Good luck.

  10. #2285
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    30,936
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    FIFY.

    Seriously. So much hyperbole in both directions.
    Truckee is a major fucking hotspot now.

    https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/..._pXlXpugQFB9Xg

  11. #2286
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,701
    I wish all the second homeowners would leave so that the "locals" could see that there's still no TP in the store, the covid population keeps growing, the hospital gets fuller and fuller. Maybe then "locals" will have to start taking some responsibility because they won't have those outsiders to blame. The first known case spread it to several other folks at church in Truckee. Sounds pretty local to me. And btw--the Truckee Safeway is better stocked than the one I was in in Sacramento, despite all those greedy Bay Area people supposedly hoarding all the "locals" food. IME, the people who complain the most about out-of-towners are the people who have lived in Truckee the shortest time.

  12. #2287
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    3,889
    Today on Mt Tallac, from Sierra Avalanche Center:

    group of four skiers gained elevation into near and then above tree-line zone. Lots of noticeable snow transport via wind on skin up to summit, loading from east aspects onto north. As the group skinned from the upper saddle heading east across the upper north face to gain final summit three skiers triggered a loaded north facing slab. 2 skiers were pushed out of the side of the slab avalanche. While 1 skiers who lead the skin across the north face was pushed 500' down slope in a D1 size slab. Avalanche partially buried skier, fortunately wide bowl and no terrain trap or bench. Skier was able to self rescue.
    Afterwards, Near Tree-line on skiers right decent of north facing slopes well below main bowl, big pinball snowballs were moving down slope indicating UV heating and potential sides. Some D1+ size loose wet avalanches were skier triggered and made way thru terrain gullies. Ample snow moving with solar heating.


  13. #2288
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,514
    tl;dr

    something something hypocritical NIMBYs


    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

    Following prolonged deliberation, El Dorado and Placer county health officials, mayors and community leaders created a joint statement with a simple message: "if you don't live here, please go away." When pressed for further clarification, they re-iterated that this directive specifically applies to homeowners who claim a primary residence outside of the county area, stating that part-time homeowners should "fuck right off and get out of here".

    Listeners questioned how second homeowners who are abiding by the letter and spirit of the shelter in place rules are creating more risk in the community. "They're coming here from the Bay Area and bringing the China virus with them," county officials explained, "There was no China virus before they were here, and now they're here and now we have it. We just don't trust them or have the infrastructure here to care for them."

    Second homeowners who have been living here for the winter questioned why their circumstances are different from the seasonal workers and J-1s visiting temporarily from New Hampshire and Argentina. "Well the seasonal workers are different, they have worse jobs than ours, so we're not intimidated by them and frankly, we need somebody left in the community to look down on" a county spokesman entered into the public record.

    They continued, "Look, we really love our second homeowners, but it's just not the time for you to be up here. You need to go back to where you came from. And keep paying your property taxes, and please continue to support Tahoe small businesses - just from afar." When pressed on the logistics of this, county officials replied "please just leave a pile of cash in an envelope on your doorstep when you depart. We will ensure the money is split equitably between Alpenglow, the Keep Tahoe Blue Foundation, and the Placer County motor vehicle pool budget. And please continue to purchase homes to support our property values, just don't plan to come live in them, or rent them. Just please look at photos of your new home on Zillow from your Bay Area couch."

    Asked about the limited resources in the Tahoe area as they prepare for a surge, a Placer County health officer replied, "we are very fortunate to be close to the Bay Area and their world-class health infrastructure - we are currently receiving surplus medical devices from their stockpile and have contingencies to send patients down the hill to open beds should the need arise."

    Exasperated listeners made a final press on the fairness of the issue, and mechanisms for enforcement. County spokespeople replied unanimously, "The Bay visitors have been nothing but trouble, especially the second homeowners just trying to live safely with their families. All Tahoe locals have been perfectly abiding by the shelter in place rules, staying in their homes and only leaving for a walk around the block and picking up prescriptions for their elderly neighbors. These second homeowners and their small children have been congregating at trailheads, posting photos of sick air on Instagram, throwing bonfire parties behind the Raley's and engaging in generally unsafe behavior. Look, we full-time residents have always had a love-hate relationship with the part-time residents, and this health crisis is giving us the opportunity to really lean into the 'hate' side of things."

    County officials did acknowledged that this directive could only be taken as a suggestion, and preventing somebody from abiding by shelter in place rules at their own physical residence is legally and constitutionally unenforceable.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  14. #2289
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,914
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wish all the second homeowners would leave so that the "locals" could see that there's still no TP in the store, the covid population keeps growing, the hospital gets fuller and fuller. Maybe then "locals" will have to start taking some responsibility because they won't have those outsiders to blame. The first known case spread it to several other folks at church in Truckee. Sounds pretty local to me. And btw--the Truckee Safeway is better stocked than the one I was in in Sacramento, despite all those greedy Bay Area people supposedly hoarding all the "locals" food. IME, the people who complain the most about out-of-towners are the people who have lived in Truckee the shortest time.
    so you're driving back and forth from Truckee to Sacramento visiting all the stores. Let me guess. You own a 2nd home in Truckee. You either shelter at home, or you don't. Sounds like you don't.

    There is no 'shelter in place except when you want to take a vacation' order in effect. But hey it's your life and sort of your community so who cares amirite?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  15. #2290
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,914
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    tl;dr

    something something hypocritical NIMBYs
    nope. straw man straw man Trump says we can play
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  16. #2291
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,514
    Understandable and appreciated light-heartedness. It's hard to figure out how to get it across to people that the more seriously we all take this, the sooner it will be over. In fact, if we could learn the hows and whats of collective action, we could come out of this really ready to take on things like climate chaos, shitty skintracks, lake clarity and housing affordability. Sorry my first take didn't give you credit for the embedded commentary on all our relationship to each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    I did feel the need to convert some frustration into satire. The article I saw was in the santa cruz sentinel which had quotes from city officials explicitly targeting the message to second homeowners. I absolutely do not sympathize with weekend warriors making short trips back and forth during this time, but I know a lot of friends who have been up there since the SIP went into effect in the bay in mid-march, and are following the rules just like everybody else. I imagine they are all going to stay put up there just like they're supposed to.

    https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/20...s-to-keep-out/
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  17. #2292
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    140
    Okay which one of you fools is the selfish prick in this story?

    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...n-backcountry/

  18. #2293
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,514
    +Vibes+
    I have this same fear about my mom or dad or step-mom getting sick right now. Thinking about how awful it would be to say goodbye for good over FaceTime definitely makes talking to them now a lot happier. My dad actually just drove from NY to CO to be with his wife. He slept in the car, only went in places to use the bathroom and get water and wore PPE when he did. Now he's in the basement for 2 weeks to make sure he's clear while she leaves his meals at the top of the stairs. I was super worried about him pushing himself to make the 25-hour drive in 2 days (he's 75). I was also super worried about him being in the epicenter of the pandemic. Happy that he's safe (for now?) and still just hoping we can all pull through OK.

    I don't know what's going on with heckacali's landlord's kids, but I hope they have their reasons and understand the risks they are putting other people through. We did manage to convince our kid not to come back from SoCal just to celebrate his and his gf's 1-yr anniversary last week. If they are not completely defensive now and will still listen, maybe you can convince them not to make a pleasure trip.

    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i think the non full time resident people are being too sensitive about this thing. its not an us vs them situation. if your primary residence is not in tahoe, if your kids dont go to tahoe schools, you dont work at a local biz, if you dont coach youth teams, volunteer for sar, if you .........the list is endless; then please dont be here now until this shit gets sorted out. just because you pay property taxes and support local biz doesnt make you part of the full-time resident stats that county officials use to determine infrastructure needs. basically, its all about the math. trust the math and science and not the opinions. because of the math, officials are asking second home owners to not be here now. its pretty fucking simple and i cant wait till this shit is over so we can welcome all of our visitors again from wherever they are from. i cant even visit my terminal mother in colorado right now so believe me when i say this shit cant end soon enough. be kind++++
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  19. #2294
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Santa Cruz closed all public beaches, parks and trails. Too many people driving to popular locations causing congestion in places, and coming from too far away. So they shut it all down.
    There are three main reasons I wont allow pictures here.
    1. It's hugely unfair and uncool to the mags (ottime, skier666, mashedpotaotes, etc.) on this site that are sheltering somewhere they can't get to the mountains.
    2. It encourages others to come up here (duh)
    3. So skiing doesn't get banned completely. Governor Sisolak had said that golf was a great way to get exercise and maintain social distancing. He just closed all golf courses because people kept sending him pictures of golfers' not social distancing. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize he (or Newsom) could do the same thing regarding BC skiing and risky activities.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  20. #2295
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Da Norf Lake
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    This should not even need to be said, but as I just can't stop shaking my head at some of these postings, evidently it does:

    What anyone else does is none of your damn business!

    Just like what you do is no one else's business!

    Nobody likes that busy-body, nosy neighbor who thinks they have the right to keep track of others or tell them how to live their lives.

    Things are stressful enough without guilting and shaming others because they're making choices and decisons that you don't agree with. Deal with it!

    Act like an adult and mind your own fucking business!!!

    If you say things are different in the age of the Covid, you're ignoring that this behavior has been going on far longer than the past 3 months.

    If things go the way of modern day China or the 70s USSR, I shudder to think how many here would turn their neighbors in for a cash reward.

    Get a grip!
    Is this sarcasm? Cuz I could use a cash reward about now...

    I would mind my own business but it's closed due to DoWhatIWant virus.

    ETA: If I cough on you, that's my business. If you get sick from it, that's your business. Do I have that right?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

  21. #2296
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,820
    Just got a text from a “friend” who lives in the SC Mountains. He is reporting that KW was skiing great yesterday. Pretty sure he was visiting his other friend in Reno and braaappp touring in Truckee the days before. He is positive he is doing things right and not getting anyone sick. Just raveling in his van and going to trailheads. Nothing to worry about. He wanted to let me know how good it was so I might consider going up. He lost pair of goggles somewhere if anyone finds them.

  22. #2297
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,914
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i think the non full time resident people are being too sensitive about this thing. its not an us vs them situation. if your primary residence is not in tahoe, if your kids dont go to tahoe schools, you dont work at a local biz, if you dont coach youth teams, volunteer for sar, if you .........the list is endless; then please dont be here now until this shit gets sorted out. just because you pay property taxes and support local biz doesnt make you part of the full-time resident stats that county officials use to determine infrastructure needs. basically, its all about the math. trust the math and science and not the opinions. because of the math, officials are asking second home owners to not be here now. its pretty fucking simple and i cant wait till this shit is over so we can welcome all of our visitors again from wherever they are from. i cant even visit my terminal mother in colorado right now so believe me when i say this shit cant end soon enough. be kind++++
    I feel ya. My mom passed away Tuesday. It seemed like she would pass at Mercy San Juan. Fortunately, there was a 2 day window after she got out of the ICU that I could visit while she was at home hospice.
    I hope you get a chance too.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  23. #2298
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    11,692
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    so you're driving back and forth from Truckee to Sacramento visiting all the stores. Let me guess. You own a 2nd home in Truckee. You either shelter at home, or you don't. Sounds like you don't.

    There is no 'shelter in place except when you want to take a vacation' order in effect. But hey it's your life and sort of your community so who cares amirite?
    After all these years in the Tahoe threads you don't know that OldGoat lives near Donner lake?

    Sorry to hear about your mom.

  24. #2299
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Meiss Meadows
    Posts
    1,391
    Powdork. Sorry about your mom. So glad that you were able to see her. Tough times.

  25. #2300
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,820
    Sorry about your mom Powdork. Vibes man.

    Fuck it- vibes to all of you. These are some shitty times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •