Page 14 of 165 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    $20 got you a lift ticket and an expanded WROD at Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe today. Plus considerably less crowds than last Friday (which was Nevada Day).

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3920.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	300541

APPARENTLY THEY WERE HOLDING TRYOUTS FOR DISNEY ON SNOW. THIS GUY IS A SHOE-IN

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	300542

LONG SKIS MAY TRUCK, BUT SHORT SKIS ROCK THE WROD...

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	300543
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Truckee ski swap tomorrow. I’ll be there with a few of my kids. Mainly looking for gear for my light gangly teen. wish me luck in the boot department! Also, used ice skates for me and the misses.... and a couple of nice to have stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Truckee ski swap tomorrow. I’ll be there with a few of my kids. Mainly looking for gear for my light gangly teen. wish me luck in the boot department! Also, used ice skates for me and the misses.... and a couple of nice to have stuff.
    Good luck, i kinda want to go but don’t think I can summer the energy for that melee

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Is that trail good? I mostly ride stuff in Reno
    It’s very 80’s mountain biking, if that makes sense. The other options from right there are so much better that I rarely ever ride it. But not a bad idea if it’s a busy weekend.

And Mike, I hear they’re gonna do an alternate route for the top section of Big Chief... before someone has to get heli evac’d out of there.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Lets get back to bootfitting. On the way to work last night I noticed an Olympic Bootworks at the intersection of ski run and Pioneer. Same Olympic Bootworks?

edit-Just checked their FB and they have two locations now
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    $20 got you a lift ticket and an expanded WROD at Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe today. Plus considerably less crowds than last Friday (which was Nevada Day).

KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!

Name:	IMG_3920.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	300541

APPARENTLY THEY WERE HOLDING TRYOUTS FOR DISNEY ON SNOW. THIS GUY IS A SHOE-IN

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	300542

LONG SKIS MAY TRUCK, BUT SHORT SKIS ROCK THE WROD...

Name:	IMG_3907.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	300543
    No mullets??

Rude.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It’s very 80’s mountain biking.

I hear they’re gonna do an alternate route for the top section of Big Chief... before someone has to get heli evac’d out of there.
    Yes, good description of ML. Definitely pre-long travel, pike fork riding. Although, I would peg it’s heyday at 2005

Maybe because I was so worried about it, I didn’t find the upper section so bad and that the land mines could easily be avoided and thought there were just as many or more opportunities for me to wreck my self on the “little” section when my guard was down. The whole time I kept thinking someone is eventually gonna get a big evac bill on that trail. Not exactly a place you can limp out from.

Spent another morning at Rose, and indeed they have expanded terrain. They added the higher narrow road that previously was their main early season run. More importantly, they added the lower section of Pondo, which technically is a blue square. You laugh but the Slopes app says my top speed today was 42 mph.

Here's another bonus, after buying a $20 ticket last weekend, it was cheaper this weekend. Using the QR code on the back of the ticket, I reloaded for today for only $15. Since I did 21 runs, it brought my cost down to 72¢ a run. I can live with that.

Just to make sure we kept this thread on track, we did stop by the Village Ski Loft so Vets could inquire about some boot work. I think Vets should ski closer to the camera.

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	300653
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

$15 is pretty fucking reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    I think Vets should ski closer to the camera.
    You just need tighter trees.

Name:  IMG_8276.JPG
Views: 1228
Size:  200.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Lets get back to bootfitting. On the way to work last night I noticed an Olympic Bootworks at the intersection of ski run and Pioneer. Same Olympic Bootworks?

edit-Just checked their FB and they have two locations now
    Thanks for getting things back on track. Solid outfit, happy to hear of their expansion.

I hear Rose is offering this for 20 bucks too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3C8E1787-5A70-4124-92E5-B6AFC88D1AF9.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	666.0 KB 
ID:	301040

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It’s very 80’s mountain biking, if that makes sense. The other options from right there are so much better that I rarely ever ride it. But not a bad idea if it’s a busy weekend.

And Mike, I hear they’re gonna do an alternate route for the top section of Big Chief... before someone has to get heli evac’d out of there.
    Really? This is kind of surprising. Sure, there are a couple challenging rock gardens and drops but none of it's "mandatory". You can easily walk down or around them. Would seem crazy to build a re-route just to skip out on a few features.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Seen in Raileys today, have not tried it yet

what did TGR bring to the brewing process?

Had it at Squaw, I thought it was pretty good beer but light Bavarian style is my favorite so YMMV. Very good can for letting people know how cool I am though.

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	301161

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Really? This is kind of surprising. Sure, there are a couple challenging rock gardens and drops but none of it's "mandatory". You can easily walk down or around them. Would seem crazy to build a re-route just to skip out on a few features.
    Just what I heard... from a reliable source. May not be a complete re-route and only carving in a few alternates, which seems more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    what did TGR bring to the brewing process?
    "steeze" points, course I guess that'd be more of a newschoolers collab.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I typically buy SN beer because a local grocer typically has it on sale, and I like the lagers that SN produces. The skiesta was no exception for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Yeah the trails not really that bad. But its also definitely NOT multi-directional and multi-use

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    "steeze" points, course I guess that'd be more of a newschoolers collab.
    i'm guessing Sierra Nevada also gets to sell Skiesta at all the tour stops too

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Yeah the trails not really that bad. But its also definitely NOT multi-directional and multi-use
    Yeah... and that's a good thing! Oh well, as long as they don't touch what's already there (some of the rock work is exceptional!), I'm happy with whatever they build as an alternate route. Was just surprised as I would hope efforts would be spent on building more trail somewhere else.

Looking forward to trying out the "new" Stanford Rock route(s)!

Oh...and tried the Sierra Skiesta beer at one of the TGR shows. Legitimately liked it, and not only because it was free. Definitely has a crisp, light taste. Good ski or mtn bike apres beer, especially if you have to drive somewhere afterwards.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Most of that great rock work is on the "lower" section. Really just talking about the top 1/5 from Mt Watson before the 06 fire road. But actually, yeah, some mellower alternates would be nice for climbing purposes since doing a loop where you go up OTB isn't going to be in most people's plans... although I quite enjoy that new loop as an option.

Cmon snow