Page 44 of 165 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Attachment 311322
    MT Rose, Slide parking lot is full. I got here just before 9:00 a.m. and it was almost full then. I was hoping that a few more people would have their passes blacked out this weekend. Business is good.
    Rose doesn't have blackouts this holiday. Ikon today and tomorrow. Epic just today.
    Saw in email that Rose has "preferred parking" on Slide side, for 2+ carpooling, close by lift and lodge.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Rose doesn't have blackouts this holiday. Ikon today and tomorrow. Epic just today.
    Saw in email that Rose has "preferred parking" on Slide side, for 2+ carpooling, close by lift and lodge.

Dude,
    Your totally right on that. I thought Rose’s Value pass, which says non holiday, was blacked out this weekend. It ain’t. No wonder it’s so busy. Oh well, I’m outta here. I got in 6 fun runs in The Chutes. Miller Time trees still had pockets of fresh snow as did the tree’s next to Chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rose Zephyr opens 8AM this weekend.

Today was fairly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CD5E173-10EA-406D-BC41-16B60EF76BB7.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	771.1 KB 
ID:	311343
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C186360-4229-48B8-A89D-DBC6B7737CCB.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	510.5 KB 
ID:	311342  
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Dude,
    ...Miller Time trees still had pockets of fresh snow as did the tree’s next to Chaos...
    I think Rose was basically unaffected by the rain event around New Years that some other Resorts suffered.
    That is what is showing up now as a layer of Glare Ice under recent snow.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

With some settlement over night lower angle terrain skied fast and fun, lots of pillow popping today

SAC report of a full burial yesterday

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...ependence-lake

ALERT: if you sled or ski Negro Canyon or Sunrise Bowl--CHP was writing parking tickets today for anyone parked along Donner Lake Rd from the bridge to the I80 ramp. Area is marked no parking. The must have written 2 dozen tickets. I didn't notice if anyone was ticketed in the little pull out area downhill from the bridge.

New touring boots this AM. (Corey at Sports Hub is rad.)

Took them for a test run in SRB. Glacier Way TH was the busiest I've ever seen it. Probably combination of holiday and sketchy forecast. Maybe also because it was 12:30 versus the usual 7:30. Snow still good.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Luther Pass Ski Resort was quite busy today. I rolled in at 6 and when leaving around 9 there must have been 20 cars at the pullout.

Went to Sierra at Tahoe after that for the first time. Fun mountain despite holiday weekend tourons and even managed to find some fresh (albeit warm) turns on the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

SAC report of a full burial yesterday

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...ependence-lake
    Gee, who could have seen that coming? I really try not to judge, but...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Avy problem is greater than the hazard rating. Saw so many parties in the BC today it is hard to imagine it was "all safe" even if most remained safe and sound. Slab Avalanches are really no joke. That full burial is nuts guy almost recorded his own demise. THIRD skier on a face with tracks then poof!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Super scared of this PWL, went out to go find it in the woods. Layer is definitely there and running on the rotten facets under the rain crust. It's not propegating well, but the slab is very consolidated. I would still be really worried in complex steep terrain, especially with hidden trigger points that this could rip from.

Got one good break in my NE below treeline pit at 8k near Carson Pass today, ECTN27. But most of the test column didn't go at all
    Last edited by emcee; 01-19-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Avy problem is greater than the hazard rating. Saw so many parties in the BC today it is hard to imagine it was "all safe" even if most remained safe and sound. Slab Avalanches are really no joke. That full burial is nuts guy almost recorded his own demise. THIRD skier on a face with tracks then poof!
    Considerable is pretty high. And the level at which most deaths occur.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Just to be clear: I’m not judging the decision to ski in the BC that day (I’ve skied on both high and considerable days). I’m judging that they specifically skied where they did with all of the information that was available. That’s just asking for it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Just to be clear: I’m not judging the decision to ski in the BC that day (I’ve skied on both high and considerable days). I’m judging that they specifically skied where they did with all of the information that was available. That’s just asking for it.
    I have re watched the drone videos again. It's like rider 2 just set the timer for his buddy to trigger. It's always the Hazard not the Rating! Especially when it gets slabby. Requires extra procedures and precaution.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Agreed. I toured all day yesterday without incident, but we stayed off of the obviously wind loaded rollovers above steep slopes leading into terrain traps. In my uneducated opinion, the issue there was not related to the PWL, though. That slide could have happened anytime after a regular windy storm.

Props to those guys for posting, though. They were prob so stoked to be getting the "footy" that they didn't take the abundant safer lines. However, having video of the whole thing helps us all to learn and make better decisions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

plenty of safe skiing to be had

and easy to find unsafe skiing too
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

don’t just think about the Hazard and the Rating

looks around and consider the Consequences
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    plenty of safe skiing to be had

and easy to find unsafe skiing too
    For me personally, it's some of the moderate days that I find scary because there's more of a grey area in your decision making (like when there's a PWL but the odds of triggering it are highly unlikely - a few years ago in CO we triggered multiple slides with ski cuts on a low day with a PWL, which seemed weird). People take issue with the phrasing of "Considerable" but I'm not sure what's a better word to present it properly. Maybe just get rid of the names and stick to a 1 - 5 scale? Is 3 out of 5 more ominous than Considerable? Probably not. I've also read arguments to not even have a rating so people are forced to actually read the specific hazards but I think that approach is probably too generous towards human nature.

Anyway, this next storm looks like it will come in on the heavy / wet side which is exactly what we need right now.

+++vibes to Squaw / AM

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    (Corey at Sports Hub is rad.)
    QFFT

Maybe somebody will do a FACETS assessment of the Independence Lake Incident.

For me, big honkin rocker touring skis are great with this type of hazard because lower angle lower consequence terrain can be “fun,” compared to the daze of yore.

I always find it interesting when the NWS offices (and BA) are saying different things. Hopefully, the sac office is more correct about precip later this week.

Report of death of Patroller at HV , in Motts, from a ski related injury.
    https://www.carsonnow.org/story/01/1...lated-incident

Fuck! That fits the description of westcoastpowderhound (i think that's the user name). Nothing on his FB though. But he is 36

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Maybe somebody will do a FACETS assessment of the Independence Lake Incident.

For me, big honkin rocker touring skis are great with this type of hazard because lower angle lower consequence terrain can be “fun,” compared to the daze of yore.

I always find it interesting when the NWS offices (and BA) are saying different things. Hopefully, the sac office is more correct about precip later this week.
    nearby
    https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...-meadow-7800ft