Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    An ancient dinosaur from a Pleistocene epoch gone by posted one of the best Squaw segments I've seen in a while.

It's almost like he could make ski movies if he tried a little harder.

I remember that porcupine under Headwall - she was absurd. What the heck was she doing there, and whose spirit animal was she??

Also, I Lol'd AKB, that was pretty funny.
    sproing!

Amigos- I'm moving from socal to bay area and although I have a place to stay in Mammoth, I'm thinking I'll be Tahoe'ing more this winter with some scattered trips to the east side. I work remotely so midweek and weekend are both in play and I've got bc gear. Holler if you're down to carpool, go for a tour, get a beer, surf, etc. Long story short is I need to make some friends!
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I don't own or intend to own a snowmobile. But I am in the Rose BC all the time, and I genuinely don't get the anti-snowmobile thing. I understand that not everybody shares my sensibilities, but the purported user conflict seems limited to a small minority who are especially sensitive to the minor irritation of sometimes sharing proximate space with others. "I want a pure wilderness experience within a 20-minute drive of Reno and immediately off of Tahoe's most popular trailhead, and the distant sound of a braap over the noise of 431 traffic utterly shatters that experience." Based on my (admittedly) anecdotal observation, the rest of us seem to coexist just fine. YMMV.

gnarbro365: That's a great shot. I wouldn't have guessed it was the Matterhorn.
    I must take issue with you calling it Tahoe's most popular trailhead. I'm not sure why I have to but I must.
    This aggression will not stand!@!!!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I have yet to ski Mt. Rose...

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Just say'n that is a good thing, Mr social media whore, post boast'r, very good skier person.
    I'm just here for the never before seen skier666 rage call. It's about time. That guys been terrible for years.

edit: In other news, it's been six years since my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    An ancient dinosaur from a Pleistocene epoch gone by
    I wasn't really feeling all that old...that is, until I read that. I'm going to go shopping for walkers.
    or don't

Sweet shot gnarbro (did you move??).
    In a few days. Hopefully the boys in the PNWet are as rad as you guys. Doubt it. Job opportunity I couldn’t pass up...they have a tank.

Kirkwood area early December of last year...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4104.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	857.6 KB 
ID:	299418

As usual I've just been sitting on the sidelines reading all the drama over the snowmobile issue lately. In typical fashion it's been a lot of pointing fingers and strong opinions from the safety of their couches. Until the sensible and non-confrontational post by AKbruin I would have stayed on the sidelines. But it's time for more positive and constructive dialogue and I want to keep that momentum going. The bottom line is there are multiple user groups who all enjoy the outdoors in their own way. Summer is no different with motos, bikes, equestrians, and hikers. We all have to share the terrain we have. Certain groups are trying hard to further restrict snowmobile access and the current proposals reflect that. So far all that is proposed is either keeping things as is or taking away OHV access. That is obviously one sided and understandably the snowmobile community feels threatened by this. There are many questions we need to ask ourselves: why are we making a change? is it needed? and if so for what reasons are we making the change? are the changes we propose addressing the interest of all parties? what is a reasonable compromise on all fronts? I'm a die hard skier like most of you on here. Up until a sled ski trip to the Rubies several years ago I would never have considered purchasing a sled. However within a week of that trip I owned a sled and will always own one for the access it provides to remote ski objectives. I still tour most days with resort and sled ski days here and there. Not that how I recreate matters but I see things from both perspectives. If I don't want to be around sleds I don't have to. I can tour most of the area and never encounter a sled if I don't want to. And if I choose to tour in an OHV area I have to accept their presence. How can "anti-sledders" feel like they need more when they have most of the area to themselves? I just don't get it and I probably never will because it likely comes from a place of hate and not acceptance or respect for eachother. Who are we to say others can't enjoy the outdoors how they want just because it doesn't align with what we believe. We all love the mountains in different ways. Lets find a solution that allows us to all do that in a way that makes sense.

SF Chron on the federal government's weather predictions for California this winter (basically, "prepare to ride your bike!"), and our very own Open Snow BA calling them out. https://www.sfchronicle.com/environm...w-14541742.php
    Kinda reminds me of every winter forecast for the Sierra that I've ever heard, seen, or written.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I'm just here for the never before seen skier666 rage call. It's about time. That guys been terrible for years.

edit: In other news, it's been six years since my last post.
    Yo, slim. Long time, dood.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    As usual I've just been sitting on the sidelines reading all the drama over the snowmobile issue lately. In typical fashion it's been a lot of pointing fingers and strong opinions from the safety of their couches. Until the sensible and non-confrontational post by AKbruin I would have stayed on the sidelines. But it's time for more positive and constructive dialogue and I want to keep that momentum going. The bottom line is there are multiple user groups who all enjoy the outdoors in their own way. Summer is no different with motos, bikes, equestrians, and hikers. We all have to share the terrain we have. Certain groups are trying hard to further restrict snowmobile access and the current proposals reflect that. So far all that is proposed is either keeping things as is or taking away OHV access. That is obviously one sided and understandably the snowmobile community feels threatened by this. There are many questions we need to ask ourselves: why are we making a change? is it needed? and if so for what reasons are we making the change? are the changes we propose addressing the interest of all parties? what is a reasonable compromise on all fronts? I'm a die hard skier like most of you on here. Up until a sled ski trip to the Rubies several years ago I would never have considered purchasing a sled. However within a week of that trip I owned a sled and will always own one for the access it provides to remote ski objectives. I still tour most days with resort and sled ski days here and there. Not that how I recreate matters but I see things from both perspectives. If I don't want to be around sleds I don't have to. I can tour most of the area and never encounter a sled if I don't want to. And if I choose to tour in an OHV area I have to accept their presence. How can "anti-sledders" feel like they need more when they have most of the area to themselves? I just don't get it and I probably never will because it likely comes from a place of hate and not acceptance or respect for eachother. Who are we to say others can't enjoy the outdoors how they want just because it doesn't align with what we believe. We all love the mountains in different ways. Lets find a solution that allows us to all do that in a way that makes sense.
    Amen.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

Long time lurker here and appreciated the vibe of the Tahoe group and opinions too. So, I would like to weight in on what I think re sharing the terrain as I live in Washoe Valley, backcountry ski alot both locally in the Mt. Rose area and occasionally hack around in the Carson Pass and Luther pass areas. Since I have doing this for close to 40 years I have a perspective regarding the history of ski touring and primarily touring in the Mt. Rose area. First as far as me, I am a early start kinda skier so going up to maybe ski around Chick a dee, I will be parked and way up there by the time the snow machines show up so I have no conflict with noise, smoke or lose of parking due to amount of space a truck, trailer and space for unloading a machine off the trailer. I don't ski off Relay peak as it has a SE face, lots of sun and crusty snow usually so it is not the snow machines that keep me away but there is better snow off Chick a dee as there is a lot of North face. Now as far as snow machines at Chick a dee, the FS re defined the area and it has always been open for machines so skiers shouldn't get their panties in a wad as this is the way it has been forever. However, you won't see machines up there as once winter starts and snow plows keep 431 open and clean, there is a icy burm along the hiway and that stops access. Lastly re Chick a dee, it used to be a very popular area for light duty fishscale and telemark skiing but that interest has faded so now it is a snow shoe area so if they don't like machines it is their issue.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, my two issues are first, the FS has done its work in study, surveys and re defining as well as creating additional machine access., my issue with this is OK but since they are creating more volume machine wise, they need to get funding to create a trailer parking area and keep the hiway for regular car parking. With funding to keep the parking area plowed as well. My last issue is that with rising snow levels it has closed most of the lower elevation snow play areas so there is tremendous crowding on the Tahoe Meadows. Kids and families don't play on the Eastside of the hiway where machines are restricted but they play on the unrestricted side where there is a slope for sledding. So, you get kids and families playing alongside sleds that are zooming in the same space. I guess that is my biggest issue and one that I actually wrote a letter re this issue when there was the surveys going on. My suggestion was to create a 5 mph speed limit within 500 yds from TH. Obviously this proposal went on deaf ears. It wasn't like they weren't warned so once a death of a kid happens there will be blood on their hands as well.

My rant, QUAD aka Ron

Okay, I have kept quiet on this subject thus far, but now it is getting out of hand.

I am, of course, referring to the continued misuse of the term "rising snow levels."

"Rising Snow Levels" implies an increase in snow.

Yet many of you keep erroneously using it to refer to a decrease in snowfall at lower elevations.

The proper term for a decrease in snowfall at lower elevations is "Rising Snow Line", as in the elevation at which snowfall is more likely to occur is getting higher.

That is all.

Carry on.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    That is all.
    Carry on.
    How was the RoseWrod? Seemed a bit warm for flat trails, to us.
    We ended up going to SolDispensary and listening to David Gans instead. Not fans of GD, and never seen him b4. He has a nice voice.

☆Happy Nevada Day☆

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Oh nose! A raging "level" vs "line" debate! RJ dropping in 3...2.....1....

Okay, I have kept quiet on this subject thus far, but now it is getting out of hand.

I am, of course, referring to the continued misuse of the term "rising snow levels."

Yet many of you keep erroneously using it to refer to a decrease in snowfall at lower elevations.

The proper term for a decrease in snowfall at lower elevations is "Rising Snow Line", as in the elevation at which snowfall is more likely to occur is getting higher.

That is all.

Carry on.

Nice, English Major at St. Mary's? Hows the money in Children's novels and comic books? How about 8,000 is the new 7,000...................

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Long time lurker here and appreciated the vibe of the Tahoe group and opinions too. So, I would like to weight in on what I think re sharing the terrain as I live in Washoe Valley, backcountry ski alot both locally in the Mt. Rose area and occasionally hack around in the Carson Pass and Luther pass areas. Since I have doing this for close to 40 years I have a perspective regarding the history of ski touring and primarily touring in the Mt. Rose area. First as far as me, I am a early start kinda skier so going up to maybe ski around Chick a dee, I will be parked and way up there by the time the snow machines show up so I have no conflict with noise, smoke or lose of parking due to amount of space a truck, trailer and space for unloading a machine off the trailer. I don't ski off Relay peak as it has a SE face, lots of sun and crusty snow usually so it is not the snow machines that keep me away but there is better snow off Chick a dee as there is a lot of North face. Now as far as snow machines at Chick a dee, the FS re defined the area and it has always been open for machines so skiers shouldn't get their panties in a wad as this is the way it has been forever. However, you won't see machines up there as once winter starts and snow plows keep 431 open and clean, there is a icy burm along the hiway and that stops access. Lastly re Chick a dee, it used to be a very popular area for light duty fishscale and telemark skiing but that interest has faded so now it is a snow shoe area so if they don't like machines it is their issue.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, my two issues are first, the FS has done its work in study, surveys and re defining as well as creating additional machine access., my issue with this is OK but since they are creating more volume machine wise, they need to get funding to create a trailer parking area and keep the hiway for regular car parking. With funding to keep the parking area plowed as well. My last issue is that with rising snow levels it has closed most of the lower elevation snow play areas so there is tremendous crowding on the Tahoe Meadows. Kids and families don't play on the Eastside of the hiway where machines are restricted but they play on the unrestricted side where there is a slope for sledding. So, you get kids and families playing alongside sleds that are zooming in the same space. I guess that is my biggest issue and one that I actually wrote a letter re this issue when there was the surveys going on. My suggestion was to create a 5 mph speed limit within 500 yds from TH. Obviously this proposal went on deaf ears. It wasn't like they weren't warned so once a death of a kid happens there will be blood on their hands as well.

My rant, QUAD aka Ron

Holy sheet
    Its a dangerous area for kids to climb and play

Honest question- should the increasing number of visitors to public lands influence ohv policy in the basin?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Oh nose! A raging "level" vs "line" debate! RJ dropping in 3...2.....1....
    I think level is fine since its in reference to elevation.
    Last edited by ron johnson; 10-26-2019 at 05:21 PM.

As far as the bootfitting side. I have a full lab here in Reno. I can do canting and alignment along with most sole swaps to Vibram and Gripwalk. Shoot me a message here or on Pugski.com.
    Click. Point. Chute.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

FKNA phil

(psst - he’s legit yo)
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

That is all.

Carry on.

Have you told BA he should be using 'snow line' in his forecasts?
    Also, i don't think there is any way the 'rising snow levels' due to climate change have impacted where people play. It doesn't mean every year snow levels are higher it means on a 20 year moving average snow levels may rise by 20 feet per year, or less. Or put another way, instead of 15 out of 20 years we can play at lake level now it is 14 out of 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Have you told BA he should be using 'snow line' in his forecasts?
    Also, i don't think there is any way the 'rising snow levels' due to climate change have impacted where people play. It doesn't mean every year snow levels are higher it means on a 20 year moving average snow levels may rise by 20 feet per year, or less. Or put another way, instead of 15 out of 20 years we can play at lake level now it is 14 out of 20 years.

I disagree here in the Mt. Rose area, the lack of snow at the lower elevations have wiped out the traditional snow play areas that used to be very popular at Galena Creek(bottom of 431) has pushed that population farther up the mountain to the Mt. Rose Meadows. That population is being fed by the growing population of Reno/Sparks and adjacent communities as well as the many visitors. As far as numbers, if you include, backcountry users like skiers and shoers and add the families who just go play in the snow, I don't see any other area that is close to those numbers, not for the snow conditions but for available parking. Mt. Rose has elevation and that is a good thing but it is a magnet for snow players, kids and dogs with not a lot of planning for safety............as it is on a hiway that is also crowded. As far as snow machines, a small player in the overall picture IMO

did they play at Galena last year? It was probably the lowest snow level year I've seen since I moved here in '94. In the past 4 years there have been tons of opportunities to ski all the way to Minden from the Heave, which means there is plenty of snow for play at Galena. They may have moved up the mountain due to the lack of snow in the drought years of 12, 13, and 14 but if they didn't play at Galena last year then there is another reason. If they did play there last year then the traditional snow plays areas haven't really been wiped out.

It wasn't like they weren't warned so once a death of a kid happens there will be blood on their hands as well.
    The sled hill will run deep with the blood of children!!!!!!

In 40 years of shared use, that's never happened. As much as grown ass adults obviously just LOVE plowing through children once they get a snowmobile, this is what's really more dangerous up there:

https://www.theunion.com/news/local-...ding-accident/

You should talk to some of the EMT's that get called to that area for neck injuries from people getting bounced on inner tubes.

We better close the area to sledding so they don't kill a snowmobiler eh? If snowlands were really concerned about the safety of kids sledding they've had 20 years to put out some informational safety literature, and certainly a sign up there telling people not to point their kids at traffic or trees. Or even direct people to the hill across the street that's just a short walk from the east side parking lot right before the summit that doesn't aim people at cars. But no......they're not.

That place could use some general 'don't be an idiot' signs for sure. For everything.

That particular hill is the Humboldt-Toiyabe anyway. Not going to be a part of this plan. Regardless, one of the best things for that stretch of highway would be improving access at the Spooner State park. Lots of real estate back there.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-27-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I don't think it is too much to ask to throttle back near a very crowded area till you get a little ways out. As far a "grown ass adults" plowing into kids sure just like driving a car with that responsibility but how about kids who are driving the machines? As a matter of fact years ago I was hit by a Snowmobile up there that was driven by a thirteen YO kid. Not in the play area but up toward Chick a dee. Fortunately I didn't get hurt as I was able to jump up and only broke a ski pole, unfortunately the situation got ugly. Still, not a supporter of or believe in the principles of Snowlands. However being a retired school teacher with decades of coaching, extra curricular programs I am a safety first kinda guy and I think I can look at a situation and see safety problems and how to correct them before the crisis. Lastly, I don't think I am some kind of nut case, helicopter dad yelling at the sky but I see a problem, a growing problem with big numbers of people, kids and dogs playing near and on a hiway, Snow machines zooming close by is a very small part but overall, this is not a 40 YO problem but is a growing problem overall that is concerning at Mt. Rose

Well, maybe I am a "nut case"

You're not a nutcase at all. Sorry you almost got nailed by a kid, I remember reading your recount on the earn your turns forum. That sucks, I'd have been livid too. I've been hit by skiers and had my car hit by kamikaze bullet children flying from parents with no aim. That's carelessness, not an inherent problem with the activity.

It's not too much to ask people to go slow in crowded areas. It's common sense, and it's also what most snowmobilers already do, as well as just outright stay away from that sledding hill when it's crowded. I shot some video of that area last year around christmas to show someone both the chaos, but that also when there are tons of families around there sledding, snowmobilers pretty much just avoid it completely. These are physicians, pilots, carpenters, servers, graphic designers, land use planners that happen to own sleds......you know.....human beings. They have eyes, and lots of them have kids. The problem is everyone envisions the most crowded holiday weekend they've seen, but an outright ban affects the dad giving his kid some sled laps on his snowboard on a Tuesday afternoon in April on that same hill when they're literally the only ones up there. "don't be a dick" signs. That makes more sense than the umpteenth ban on snowmobiling.

Still, not a supporter of or believe in the principles of Snowlands.
    Come on man.

Attachment 299610

Bob via snowlands submitted a prescoping document that would entirely close off the sled skiing in blackwood canyon, literally the only publicly available snowmobile staging area on the west shore. It's phrased as keeping sleds on the road and out of the meadows, but that would be the effect. He also recommended entirely eliminating all snowmobile access on Mt Rose, and stretch an additional gigantic closure all the way over to brockway. That's spooner summit to freakin brockway closed.

If that's what you're into, that's fine. But be straight about it. Maybe you just don't know what Bob's actual 'fight' is?
    Last edited by kidwoo; 10-27-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp