Page 74 of 165 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    HJ5, agree with much of what you said, but it's been tough seeing our resources here getting hit hard the past week. I've seen several families stocking up with multiple bags of groceries, to take home to the bay area. And there is no question that our hospital can't handle much, and that people coming from other areas multiplies the chances of things spreading here. So, people wanna bitch about localism? Well fuck you, I'm trying to protect my community.
    This.

At this point in time, coming up from the bay area (or wherever) to Tahoe is irresponsible. With our grocery stores up here getting cleaned out and gas still being at $4/gal, I'd love to head down to Reno/Carson to stock up and save some money, but I know that I shouldn't be leaving the basin because it increases my chances of becoming a vector.

Things suck right now, but if we don't make some drastic changes to our behavior to help calm this issue down, then things are going to keep sucking for much longer.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Alpenglow raised $75K in gift cards since the post quoted by mmmm...pow! above: https://www.snewsnet.com/people/alpe...RkT-0nTB9ZqvlA

Pretty rad. Makes we wanna give out hugs for free. Oh wait...
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Alpenglow raised $75K in gift cards since the post quoted by mmmm...pow! above: https://www.snewsnet.com/people/alpe...RkT-0nTB9ZqvlA

Pretty rad. Makes we wanna give out hugs for free. Oh wait...
    At least they can pay next months rent. I know other businesses wont be able to... hope landlords are understanding...
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Lots of houses I rarely see cars all seem occupied some with 3 to 4 cars parked in front of them now, plenty of people I don't recognize walking dog's up and down the street. Two days ago a full time neighbor texted my girlfriend wanting to borrow a thermometer , there cousins were freaked out about being in the bay area, so they let there family them move in with them, the father who has been commuting back and forth to the bay for work now has a high fever.

Thanks gimpy, that quote really made my day.

I can’t help but remember our last great tragedy, 9-11. People changed. We were nicer, kinder to each other.

.. and that Aplenglow story.

Too bad it takes a tragedy to make us Remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So you're at the store asking people where they're taking those groceries? Or were they holding up a sign announcing their destination? Or are you just making an assumption?

And again, the same exact thing is happening here, especially with our proximity to the bay area. Our local hospital is smaller than the one in Truckee. But I'm not being a drama queen about it, either.
    Or maybe I overheard people discussing what they need to bring home because so and so said there is no more at their store at home (and why get just a couple boxes of pasta when you can get 20)? Or maybe I was watching people check out of a hotel with several bags of groceries? Or maybe I actually know the people that work at Save-Mart and Safeway, who also seem to think the same thing?
    And I have no affiliation with Alpenglow, only shop there occasionally and usually no big ticket items, but I do know the owner, he's a solid dude, and the email hit home, but applies to pretty much every business in the area. So again, support whoever you want to still see here, however you can. But maybe leave some rice and toilet paper for us, and don't bring the cooties here.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Lots of houses I rarely see cars all seem occupied some with 3 to 4 cars parked in front of them now, plenty of people I don't recognize walking dog's up and down the street. Two days ago a full time neighbor texted my girlfriend wanting to borrow a thermometer , there cousins were freaked out about being in the bay area, so they let there family them move in with them, the father who has been commuting back and forth to the bay for work now has a high fever.
    Asinine. I hope for your well-being that you didn’t give them the thermometer!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Co-what? Hard to believe, but the basin feels even more empty right now. Stay safe out there guys, and (maybe even more importantly) stay sane. Feeling very lucky that my normal habits are basically an extreme form of social distancing.

In case anyone is wondering, Tahoe got nearly all the pow from this last storm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4519.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	321906

Name:	IMG_4489.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	321907

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	321905

Name:	RotateJUmp.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	982.4 KB 
ID:	321909

Yes, travel may be irresponsible right now. But our only stop was the gas station, and I made sure to clean and disinfect the pump (and my hands). Otherwise we saw and interacted with a grand total of zero people. Hard to believe, but the basin feels even more empty than usual!

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    This.

At this point in time, coming up from the bay area (or wherever) to Tahoe is irresponsible. With our grocery stores up here getting cleaned out and gas still being at $4/gal, I'd love to head down to Reno/Carson to stock up and save some money...
    Eh, there have been a lot of California plates at grocery stores here anyways. I get it tho, it’s the closest option with variety for some folks in parts of incline and esp. northeast of Tahoe. I guess I was trying to say that contempt for those still traveling far distances can be dissociated from “locals only” vibe. Contempt for traveling not equal to contempt for “outsiders.”

I have still been getting out in the backcountry, but not going any farther than rose summit. Figured that’s the extent of acceptable travel, even though I’d be kidding myself if I actually thought other skiers, etc. were only from Reno area... ah well, maintaining social distance and trying desperately to stay away from popular areas and peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Think about supporting you local brewery. They are huge to building community and no one wants craft beer to all be owned by Budweiser.
    Great suggestion. On that note, after some spring cleaning, I got two growlers to give away in NW Reno (one a classy Silver Peak). They need a good bleach soak, been chillin in the cupboard for some time. Holla and I'll put 'em outside by the mailbox.

After washing, rinse well (improves the bleach effectiveness), then soak for at least 2 minutes in a solution of 2 teaspoons of bleach per 1 gallon of water, drain, and air dry. Proceed to fill and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    It can't all be the same users. I called 3 shops in truckee to build another BC setup and all bindings my size were gone and nothing coming for months. We aren't the only area going through this so BC gear will be hard to come by for some time.
    Also I have seen many post in IG from people out there that I know didn't take a level 1 but are there anyway.
    good point. but those folks will only be out once, when they find out it's hard

And here's to hoping we still get to enjoy these kinds of conditions later!

Name:  IMG_7465.JPG
Views: 692
Size:  48.5 KB

(not my photo)

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post

(not my photo)

My first thought was..."dang man, you've gotten a lot hotter!"

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    I guess I was trying to say that contempt for those still traveling far distances can be dissociated from “locals only” vibe. Contempt for traveling not equal to contempt for “outsiders.”
    Fair enough.

We've had a small cluster just start to breakout around here. The three who tested positive (so far) were at a party a few nights ago, hosted by a second home owner from the city. A fucking party. Jesus people are dumb.

San Francisco checking in. Nobody should be travelling across counties right now unless it is essential. But I've been a part time resident of Tahoe for 20 years, and always ignored the rants of the "locals" with NH plates who've been in town for half a season. Plenty of bay folk were up in Tahoe when the SIP orders hit and rightly needed groceries, and needed them wherever they happened to be. As long as nobody is hoarding, there is enough to food go around.

That said, nobody should be having parties (that goes for "second homeowners" AND "locals"), and nobody should be travelling across counties unless they are planning to post up for the long haul at their final destination.

We have strong leadership in California, as opposed to the clown show at the federal level. We took tough action early, and our prognosis is going to be better. But everybody must take it seriously.

We keep our cases down and Fortress California will lead the American recovery, followed by the west coast and soon the southwest and rockies. We'll beat the virus back west-to-east with medical supplies, medical staff, smarts, and technology. We're all in this together, and California especially.

As a person whos wife has underlying conditions; seeing people selfish fucked up attitudes sickens me. Do you need to see military trucks full of dead bodies for this to hit home?
    Hello darkness my old friend

Went touring with the kid (back from college) in the Donner Peak area Saturday (a couple miles from the house FWIW). Did our thing and then on the way back dropped down to the old train tracks above Snowshed Wall. There was a crowd of maybe 20 people sitting together (maybe 1-2 feet apart) cheering on their buddies hitting Poop Chute. People doing 10+ foot airs, backflips, having big wipeouts. No avy gear in sight, no packs, boot packing up carrying skis and boards, multiple people on the slope at once. No idea if they were local or out of town but neither has the monopoly on stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Asinine. I hope for your well-being that you didn’t give them the thermometer!

she had a extra one she placed outside for her to get, that's how they confirmed he had fever, hopefully that's all it is, she told them to keep it, didn't want it back

How about some sealed Skiing Frenzy from Eric Perlman...anyone?

The descriptions of these films are worth the price of admission alone, haha.

Name:	IMG_6817.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	321984

Name:	IMG_6818.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	321985

We thought through going up to our house in Tahoe. Ultimately we decided that this was a bad move not only for the locals but for us. Basically everything is constrained in Tahoe: supply lines, medical facilities, food. Large urban areas are likely to get priority anyways. Everything needs to be brought into Tahoe and we knew a lot folks would head for the hills and stress the systems. Basically when the shit hits it is going to hammer those systems way more than the bay area. Here we have started our garden, have access to the best medical care in the world, and generally are not nearly supply chain constrained. Panic buying is generally subsided and stores shelves are being restocked and full of TP. Lots neighbors have chickens, trade and bartering are a possibility if needed. Our block is organized because of earthquake preparedness and we have way more connections here now. We feel the Bay area will be a better place to weather this shit storm.

I feel for the local residents in this situation and a certain amount of resentment is totally warranted. Trump is now talking about economics vs people, lets hope our states lead and guide us through this and ignore the feds. Stay safe and healthy, enjoy the pow you guys deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Co-what? Hard to believe, but the basin feels even more empty right now. Stay safe out there guys, and (maybe even more importantly) stay sane. Feeling very lucky that my normal habits are basically an extreme form of social distancing.

In case anyone is wondering, Tahoe got nearly all the pow from this last storm...

Name:	IMG_4519.jpg 
Size:	428.0 KB 
ID:	321906

Name:	IMG_4489.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	321907

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	321905

Name:	RotateJUmp.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	982.4 KB 
ID:	321909

Yes, travel may be irresponsible right now. But our only stop was the gas station, and I made sure to clean and disinfect the pump (and my hands). Otherwise we saw and interacted with a grand total of zero people. Hard to believe, but the basin feels even more empty than usual!
    is that a duck tied to her pole? And
    Why?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    is that a duck tied to her pole? And
    Why?
    A valid question...but your eyesight is failing you PD! Thats actually a bunch of sticks wrapped in medical tape and one ski strap. Her pole became the victim of a wicked break, following a few too many skin glop removal taps. Things were a little wet/muddy on the approach, and I guess we were too lax about walking rather than skinning.

Name:	IMG_4463crop.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	322006

People's idea of how far it's ok to travel seems to depend on how far each person is traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    People's idea of how far it's ok to travel seems to depend on how far each person is traveling.
    Doesn't it really depend on the number of stops/contacts while traveling? I think the idea is that you'd typically have more stops on a longer journey, and therefore more places to transmit/receive the disease. If you are only stopping at the final destination, then the distance doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Doesn't it really depend on the number of stops/contacts while traveling? I think the idea is that you'd typically have more stops on a longer journey, and therefore more places to transmit/receive the disease. If you are only stopping at the final destination, then the distance doesn't matter.
    Pretty sure 90% of this public shaming and calling people selfish for enjoying life is due to jealousy. They literally have a reason why you shouldn't be doing it no matter how responsible, independent, and careful you are.

The fast growing tribalism is shocking. Lots of people in ski towns telling people to stay away then posting pictures of skiing. LOL.