Page 78 of 165 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 4118
    For perspective, I just finished week 2 of 'stay at home' in SF. I've been to the market to buy food 3 times...no issues or signs of apocalypse where we shop...shelves stocked to normal levels, butcher has everything laid out as normal. The worst part of this for us is school. Every school is setting up zoom calls and whatnot so I've turned into the household IT manager. As soon as I sit down to get work done, something fails to work and then we you get it to work, the 3 year old comes by, swipes the screen and messes up the settings. I'm about to lose my mind. The positive is that I can run the trails out my door through the Presidio down to the beach, take sunset photos, have photos to edit, etc...that's keeping my sanity at this point.
    Last edited by skier666; 03-27-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Indulgent is a good word. Doctors, Nurses, Hospital workers, etc are putting themselves in the crosshairs and risking their lives fighting this shit. Going out and skiing right now is the equivalent of the rich fuck that got out of serving and spent ww2 trying to fuck the wives and girlfriends of the guys fighting overseas.
    Your analogy is bad and you should feel bad. (I'm just giving you a hard time.)

I think we're still at a point at which we can find a balance between the extremes of (a) traveling long distances to congregate in large groups while trying to learn cork 5000's in extreme avalanche danger and (b) never leaving the house for any reason. If you're experienced, can get to the trailhead without much travel, and will dial it back to lessen the risk of injury, I think backcountry skiing is still a tolerable risk. If you live in the Bay Area, I won't judge you for going for a local bike ride or hike, despite the small inherent risk of injury in either. These things are not just important to us, they're doubly important during a time of great anxiety and uncertainty. I don't think it's unreasonable to tolerate some risk in exchange for our mental and physical health. Maybe that will change in the near future if, say, our local hospitals become completely full and/or people are injuring themselves left and right. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but, personally, I don't think we're there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When people are frightened they turn against each other. There are a lot of frightened people in this town, a lot of frightened people on this forum. When people get frightened they turn against each other. The hoarding is one way. The resentment of "strangers" is another. It's ok to be frightened, I am, but I say man up, be charitable and generous. We like to talk about how we Americans come together in times of crisis but to me it's looking like the opposite.
    Well said. While acknowledging that this is the Internet, it'd be heartening to see people dial back the volume of their opinions/judgment a tad.

In an effort to interject a modicum of positivity into this thread, here are some photos of my 13-year-old from early February, which already feels like a year ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1227.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	322516

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	322517

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Driving when essential, exercise and recreation are essential. So if you have to drive to get there, and many do, then driving is essential to recreate.
    PD I'm with you man. We need to control the virus, but we also need to think critically about what is real risk and what is unreasonable precaution limiting our own sanity in these times. I think we are going to be in this social distance and virus mitigation cycle for a while (maybe through all of 2020 even). I would rather see us emerge from this with a healthier population -physically and mentally- than one that has been pent up and fattened over the course of a year. Granted there will be some of that regardless.

Driving (not with others in car) will always present some risk to some degree, but the numbers are actually surprisingly low when it comes to accidents and injury. Biking to the trailhead will certainly be more dangerous. Biking the trail will be more dangerous. Skiing will likely be more dangerous than the actual drive. Car accidents are common, but statistically low when you consider the number of people who frequently drive.

Is driving a level of risk we should be willing to take (or are any of those)? Some will argue yes, others no. It seems like the consensus in this thread is that currently, zero assumption of risk is the best. I know that many of us take risks frequently, lots of risk. After all -we are a bunch of action/adrenaline sports athletes. It's interesting how much this pandemic has gotten everyone to reconsider that, and I have a lot of respect for that -especially since the consequence is no longer simply about oneself.

How do we find balance? I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    traveling long distances to congregate in large groups while trying to learn cork 5000's
    I laughed. SPIN TO WIN!

I think it's important for people to get outside and get some exercise, just keep it local-ish. The longer this goes on we're going to have a major mental heath crisis on our hands as well and that will help combat it to some degree. Statistically I bet there's as much risk sitting around on your couch for weeks at a time as there is in skiing or biking conservatively.

Skier666 - I'm with you on the multiple kid chaos in the house while trying to get work done (while also thankful that I can do my work from home unlike so many others). None the less, trying to not lose my shit.

Damnit, another friend (a nurse) just tested positive. The reality of this is definitely starting to hit closer to home.

Side note, for those of you who want to support smaller brands that will be suffering from production issues, most of Flylow's stuff is 40% off right now.

I worry about the people running Donner Pass Rd along the lake in the traffic lanes. Seems like Truckee has decided not to cut the berms back this year. They lay off half the plow crew April 1 so those berms are here until they melt, so cyclists, runners and walkers will be taking a chance for a while.

just to add one more element. current reports of a heli hovering for long periods over powderhouse
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Is driving a level of risk we should be willing to take (or are any of those)? Some will argue yes, others no. It seems like the consensus in this thread is that currently, zero assumption of risk is the best. I know that many of us take risks frequently, lots of risk. After all -we are a bunch of action/adrenaline sports athletes. It's interesting how much this pandemic has gotten everyone to reconsider that, and I have a lot of respect for that -especially since the consequence is no longer simply about oneself.
    the difference is when we ski/bike etc. we aren't indirectly or statistically putting some guy in a grocery at risk. just ourselves. so it's a different kind of risk altogether IMO.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

FWIW I work in healthcare, specifically in an ED, wearing as much protective shit each day to keep myself available to help fight this thing. I think it’s a personal choice what u wanna do but saying things like the hospitals are dead right now so I’m going is one of the most ignorant things I’ve ever heard. What if you have it and it’s waiting to fuck u up. Four days average it lies in wait to take you down with a pneumonia. All along the way you have smoked all of us for helping repair ur broken femur or rescue you from an avalanche.
    As healthcare workers we all are asking to minimize risk and assume nothing. This thing is fucking the real deal. It’s not the sniffles. If you get it and have a bad onset of symptoms and buy a breathing tube your chances are pretty good u are gonna have a bad outcome. I’m not skiing. I’m staying in as much as I can and praying I don’t bring this reaper home to my kids.

Just be extra extra careful please for all of us healthcare or not. Think of the worst case scenario before u act cuz this thing is scary as fuck. I’m terrified every day I don my used N95 mask and go to work. Envious of anyone that has the luxury to self isolate. Looking forward to next year at this point despite my quiver being primed.......

Be safe, cautious, and please believe all the hype because we are just getting started out here in Reno Tahoe. I hope I’m wrong or over reacting, but this is the scariest, most uncertain thing we have seen in healthcare in my 20 year career so far.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks TahoePa.

And for the millionth time, the risk is not just to you no matter what youre doing

We are incredibly priveleged just to have the option for social distancing. I can’t imagine the horror show coming for a billion Indians and all the refugees in camps that have no where to hide from this shit

Don’t make a health care worker use up gear that’s going to be needed and exhausted very soon. This is the time to buckle down, not after we start seeing the results of not doing so.
    Last edited by mcski; 03-27-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Thanks TahoePa.

And for the millionth time, the risk is not just to you no matter what your doing

We are incredibly priveleged just to have the option for social distancing. I can’t imagine the horror show coming for a billion Indians and all the refugees in camps that have no where to hide from this shit

Don’t make a health care worker use up gear that’s going to be needed and exhausted very soon. This is the time to buckle down, not after we start seeing the results of not doing so.
    ^^^this^^^^^

A privledge is right. The homeless in Reno have no way to shelter at home. Event center or not they are communing with so many that are or likely will get it. It’s a sad one for those folks. We are lucky for sure. Lesser developed countries ur right are in a bad way.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

just to add one more element. current reports of a heli hovering for long periods over powderhouse
    SAR and emergency vehicles there too apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    .......but I still would like to see other people take this a lot more seriously so we can get back to normal as fast as possible.
    How do you know this isn't the new "normal"?
    Only time will tell, and it's not easy to wrap your brain around, but it's gonna be years before things are the same again.
    The USA has been so dependent on China, we don't even realize how fucked we are right now. It's gonna be a painful education over these next few months as we realize the enormity of stuff that is unavailable and won't again be available anytime soon.

And I've been driving 15-20 min each way to get my ski fix. If it warms up as forecast next week, I'll probably drive 40 min each way to go mt biking.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    How do you know this isn't the new "normal"?
    Only time will tell, and it's not easy to wrap your brain around, but it's gonna be years before things are the same again.
    The USA has been so dependent on China, we don't even realize how fucked we are right now. It's gonna be a painful education over these next few months as we realize the enormity of stuff that is unavailable and won't again be available anytime soon.

And I've been driving 15-20 min each way to get my ski fix. If it warms up as forecast next week, I'll probably drive 40 min each way to go mt biking.
    i would assume they will be at least 'asking' people to not go mountain biking by then anywhere within a 40 minute drive

I heard it was a broken leg. I bet he was the best skier on the mountain.

We are very fortunate to be able to sit safely inside and argue about skiing on the internet.

i would assume they will be at least 'asking' people to not go mountain biking by then anywhere within a 40 minute drive
    Maybe on the Cali side. Bet I get an extra 48 hrs before the hammer falls in NV.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

This was good to see. I don’t rent out my place much (usually just holiday weekends when I have no interest in being there) but had already cancelled on some renters who were lined up for this weekend.

Name:	IMG_2192.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	322584
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Risk tolerance is low right now for obvious reasons. I've been invited out on BC days but haven't felt right about it, so I've stayed home. Even Phouse can get you in trouble, especially toward the bottom at low tide: plenty of logs and rocks to break your leg on.

Meanwhile, an east-sider slid in yesterday, so I skinned up for some low-impact meadow skipping on the non-California side of our favorite closed resort. Trails are still being groomed: not sure why, but it made the skin up a lot easier, even after being chewed up by dozens upon dozens of people booting up.

Name:	meadowskipping.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	322586

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    I heard it was a broken leg. I bet he was the best skier on the mountain.
    oooooof. not good to hear ever, definitely not good now

This is from yesterdays' EDCSO facebook. They may emphasize it again tomorrow after today's incident. good news, they didn't mention mountain biking.
    No one plans on getting lost or injured.

EDSO, El Dorado Search and Rescue and Tahoe Search and Rescue requests that people do not take part in high risk outdoor activities at this time. Activities include backpacking, climbing, peak bagging, back country skiing, or anything that puts you at risk for potential rescue.

I haven't left my house in Stateline in almost a month and its been killing me watching and clearing all this snow that's fallen but there is no way I am getting this shitty virus. I have had complications from viral infections in the past and am in my 50's now. I'm lucky in that I can work from home and we stocked up for a few months before shit hit the fan, getting deliveries of wine and groceries from Roundhill Safeway (Instacart works great) and just made a online pickup order from Raleys. Doing daily walks in the neighborhood and online yoga to stay somewhat fit.
    Tell me about their deliveries. I've been using nakedwines and they have 'text alerts' that are nothing but BS marketing completely unrelated to whether delivery is imminent. Yesterday I got the text at 11:00am. The delivery came at 6.

BTW, the delivery was surreal. I walked out the driveway. He stopped 25' away and set the package down and asked me to stop. Signatures no longer required as long as he believes the person is 21+

Tell me about their deliveries. I've been using nakedwines and they have 'text alerts' that are nothing but BS marketing completely unrelated to whether delivery is imminent. Yesterday I got the text at 11:00am. The delivery came at 6.

BTW, the delivery was surreal. I walked out the driveway. He stopped 25' away and set the package down and asked me to stop. Signatures no longer required as long as he believes the person is 21+
    sorry the way i wrote that looks like i was getting wine from safeway through instacart. they do not do alcohol deliveries. the wine orders came direct from wineries, navarro and porter creek, via ups. raleys does do alcohol orders online for pickup but takes 2 days to process so plan ahead if your running low.

Apologies if this has already been posted but probably the funniest rant I've seen in a while....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAF7Jicnwhk

(little bit of "explicit" language so tread carefully if around kids... :-))
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

sorry the way i wrote that looks like i was getting wine from safeway through instacart. they do not do alcohol deliveries. the wine orders came direct from wineries, navarro and porter creek, via ups. raleys does do alcohol orders online for pickup but takes 2 days to process so plan ahead if your running low.
    i figured that, just wondering if the deliveries are any better than what nakedwines (UPS) does? Yesterday was the first time the dogs didn't get an hourlong adventure in probably over a year.

i figured that, just wondering if the deliveries are any better than what nakedwines (UPS) does? Yesterday was the first time the dogs didn't get an hourlong adventure in probably over a year.
    yah same drill with ups had to wait for the delivery which didn't come until after 5pm both times. didn't need signature but they need to visually see that your 21+. but deliveries were quick only took 2 days to get here from wineries both with free shipping.