Page 89 of 165 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4118
    Mammoth now has roadblocks turning non-residents away. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/u...GzAMJZgDS3jny4
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-06-2020 at 12:02 PM.
    sproing!

Getting desperate...searching through my PS2 collection for Jonny Moseley Mad Trix

But can't we all agree that the Fingers look glorious this morning?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7867.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	324310

^^^^^I like the untracked stoke. So yummy, but no FOMO. ish. That is insane.

New Yorkers should stay in NY right now. Period. Even the privileged ones that can hop on a plane and go to their other home across the country. Shelter in Place. Maybe I'm reading you wrong OG, but allowing folks to fly across country right now to relocate out of a hot spot is how we see cases go up, not down. Shelter in Place. Stay where you are.

I had some CL ads up before it snowed, one with kids snow gear. A guy who contacted me back in early March and never followed up, just texted me and asked if I still had snow gear available. WTF? He said they feel cooped up and want to go up to the snow for a few days; they have a friend's cabin in Tahoe Keys they can borrow. I think he is from Campbell. I told him I still had gear, and would be happy to meet him after the Shelter in Place order is dropped. I also asked him not to go and warned him that the hospital facilities in the mountains are limited, and suggested they continue to Shelter in Place for their and other's safety, instead of driving a few hundred miles to get some space.

I think Danno stated it well some where else. Do what you are going to do, but please don't post about it. You may be prudent and responsible, others are for certain not. Please don't make it look fun up there. Generally, it is not fun here. Or not that kind of fun. Completed a few 1000 piece puzzles and cooked some killer meals. Trails are wet and I can't even bike for days. I'm shocked by the number of people, some of whom I know to be smart, reasonable adults, who are rationalizing coming to visit you over the next two weeks. Don't make it look fun. Let's keep them at home 3 more weeks, so we can see the downside of this thing. By then it will be corn and most of these folks will be back to their water craft and golf clubs and not even be tempted to bring you the gift of plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    I suppose I am being insensitive.

Did you get out there? Curious to compare obs.
    Found a lot of really reactive snow, with bad bonding to the old melt/wind crust. Lots of loading in a short amount of time also doesn't help. Mostly just sloughing -but the new snow was light and deep enough to really blow out.

I'm not sure why SAC downgraded the avy forecast from yesterday. It was windy AF and seemed to be nuking all night. If anyone is out there today -definitely be careful. I'd give it some time to settle out before jumping on anything thats not -30 degree dad pow.
    yes but only out behind the house at 6600. surprised at how dense it was compared to what was falling in warmer conditions during the day yesterday.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Getting desperate...searching through my PS2 collection for Jonny Moseley Mad Trix

Don't see that everyday now, do we? heh.

Quote Originally Posted by guermo View Post
    Cmon man - this is wrong on a few different levels.
    I went looking for that line to quote but it appears edited.
    Such things said come with the qualifier question of "How long you say you've lived here?" Fuckin April pow is the best pow. Might not have been too much of it the last few years but easily has been a wonderful and common occurrence in many to most years past.
    guermo knows.

To follow up,
    Email sent to homeowners with links to county and town requests to SIP and not travel here. Stated our personal case as residents.

Response as expected, to paraphrase:

"Thankyou for your informative email, we put a lot of thought into our decision, and will be having our son come out to stay at the house regardless of your concerns"

Basically a full "fuck you we'll do what we damn well please to get our kid out of NY"

You could always follow up with: 'Currently burning bodies of non residents at i-80 exit ramps.'

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    To follow up,
    Email sent to homeowners with links to county and town requests to SIP and not travel here. Stated our personal case as residents.

"Thankyou for your informative email, we put a lot of thought into our decision, and will be having our son come out to stay at the house regardless of your concerns"

Basically a full "fuck you we'll do what we damn well please to get our kid out of NY"
    Seems to me their attitude will fit in perfectly with a lot of folks in Truckee right now.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post

Glory, indeed. Thank you for helping me win today's unofficial Zoom background contest!

That looks so creamy delicious
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    To follow up,

Back in ye old days of tgr you would have posted that address like 3 posts ago

It's a good reminder every time someone, resident OR visitor tells you that you NEED their money, they're doing you a FAVOR by being here, and you should thank them. There's an appreciable portion out there that literally do not care if they help spread a virus that can kill people or permanently fuck up their lungs. Their convenience and pretty view is more important.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

^^ LOL at your updated location.

https://youtu.be/lGC5sGdz4kg

Apparently actual experts think lockdowns and flattening the curve are actually going to kill more people. Children should be socializing and people need to be outside, NOT indoors.

He's only a 20 year professor of epidemiology and biostatistics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Dude, you posted that drivel elsewhere. Stop spreading your excitement all over the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Such things said come with the qualifier question of "How long you say you've lived here?" Fuckin April pow is the best pow. Might not have been too much of it the last few years but easily has been a wonderful and common occurrence in many to most years past.
    guermo knows.
    I have lived here since 1993 but apparently I still make a fool of myself regularly

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Dude, you posted that drivel elsewhere. Stop spreading your excitement all over the screen.
    No u.

Don't read it instead of getting triggered like the soy boy you are

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Got some rollerballs on way down but cream cheesy meh pow turns from 7400 down to road. USFS patrolling road but a wave sent him on his way before he stopped for a bit at intersection. He looped back up HV to pass out fines/educate I'm guessing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fish Rider; 04-06-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post

Apparently actual experts think lockdowns and flattening the curve are actually going to kill more people. Children should be socializing and people need to be outside, NOT indoors.

He's only a 20 year professor of epidemiology and biostatistics.
    BG I feel you. We have to find a balance between letting the virus run unchecked, and simply cutting off all our liberties for years to maintain a slow rate of transmission. How long is everyone willing to live in a quarantined and isolated state, before we all say, "Fuck it, I'm going outside. I'll just take my chances and hope that I survive."

At some point having grandma die + a month worth of respiratory pain is worth it. That fucking sucks, but you guys know its true. 10 years of social isolation, for instance, is NOT better for your life and definitely not better for society overall.

Not social isolating is like ripping off the bandaid all in one go. You lose more skin, but then its said and done. Unless we somehow get a vaccine in the near future, taking no action to prevent the virus spread -is clearly the fastest way for the whole world to recover. Yeah way more people would die, and that fucking sucks. Nobody (except psychopaths) wants people to die. But we'd all be back to normal quality of life sooner, and (hopefully) not have to worry about getting COVID anymore.

Supposedly we are seeing huge spikes in domestic abuse rates right now. Its not right for that to happen, but I can understand why. Its a natural side-effect of having people stuck at home together, getting on each others nerves.

So to build on your point:
    How much increase in domestic abuse (likely affecting the lives of healthy people of all ages), will we tolerate to keep coronavirus deaths low? We know coronavirus deaths are more common in the elderly, or those with pre-existing conditions. How long would their life have been without covid, and what would that quality of life have been? How many serious injuries, deaths, long-term mental impacts, etc are we seeing from an uptick in domestic abuse -just to avoid the deaths we are mitigating? And is it worth it? Thats a really tough call to make.

And thats not even touching on the countless other issues that constant sheltering at home and distancing have. Depression, anxiety, loss of jobs, businesses going under, suicide(?), general anger, etc. I know there are a bazillion more negative impacts to this.

We all want to prevent deaths, but death is an important part of life that we will all eventually succumb to. We need to make sure that we are behaving rationally to prevent death (an inevitable thing), and not unnecessarily harming the part of life that involves living.

There has been so much hysteria regarding the pandemic (not unwarranted), and people are extremely quick to label others as insensitive, selfish, heartless, irresponsible, conspiracy theorist, ect ect. I just think that whats important is a true discussion and analysis of the facts/figures, free from emotion. Unfortunately, a conversation free from emotion is extremely hard to accomplish when discussing mass deaths around the world.

Once more, with feeling

Name:  IMG_0293.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  117.4 KB

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    BG I feel you. We have to find a balance between letting the virus run unchecked, and simply cutting off all our liberties for years to maintain a slow rate of transmission. How long is everyone willing to live in a quarantined and isolated state, before we all say, "Fuck it, I'm going outside. I'll just take my chances and hope that I survive."

At some point having grandma die + a month worth of respiratory pain is worth it. That fucking sucks, but you guys know its true. 10 years of social isolation, for instance, is NOT better for your life and definitely not better for society overall.

Not social isolating is like ripping off the bandaid all in one go. You lose more skin, but then its said and done. Unless we somehow get a vaccine in the near future, taking no action to prevent the virus spread -is clearly the fastest way for the whole world to recover. Yeah way more people would die, and that fucking sucks. Nobody (except psychopaths) wants people to die. But we'd all be back to normal quality of life sooner, and (hopefully) not have to worry about getting COVID anymore.

Supposedly we are seeing huge spikes in domestic abuse rates right now. Its not right for that to happen, but I can understand why. Its a natural side-effect of having people stuck at home together, getting on each others nerves.

So to build on your point:
    How much increase in domestic abuse (likely affecting the lives of healthy people of all ages), will we tolerate to keep coronavirus deaths low? We know coronavirus deaths are more common in the elderly, or those with pre-existing conditions. How long would their life have been without covid, and what would that quality of life have been? How many serious injuries, deaths, long-term mental impacts, etc are we seeing from an uptick in domestic abuse -just to avoid the deaths we are mitigating? And is it worth it? Thats a really tough call to make.

And thats not even touching on the countless other issues that constant sheltering at home and distancing have. Depression, anxiety, loss of jobs, businesses going under, suicide(?), general anger, etc. I know there are a bazillion more negative impacts to this.

We all want to prevent deaths, but death is an important part of life that we will all eventually succumb to. We need to make sure that we are behaving rationally to prevent death (an inevitable thing), and not unnecessarily harming the part of life that involves living.

There has been so much hysteria regarding the pandemic (not unwarranted), and people are extremely quick to label others as insensitive, selfish, heartless, irresponsible, conspiracy theorist, ect ect. I just think that whats important is a true discussion and analysis of the facts/figures, free from emotion. Unfortunately, a conversation free from emotion is extremely hard to accomplish when discussing mass deaths around the world.
    I think that this is very thoughtful analysis. The reality is that there is no perfect solution to the Coronavirus. That would have been for China to kill the disease before it infected Wuhan. At this point, IMO the best thing to do is to listen to the experts and not to second guess them. Use common sense but follow their guidance. Yes, the economy will suffer, depression, anxiety and domestic violence will increase but it is still better than the alternative.

In sad news, Boris Johnson is in the ICU. He is 55 and as far I know was in pretty good health. I know that he is getting some of the best medical care in the world as Britain’s health care system is one of the best in the world. If you don’t want someone close to you to die or you don’t want more people to die, you can help by following the guidelines.
    Last edited by hercule33; 04-06-2020 at 04:54 PM.

If you're going to discuss the collateral damage of sheltering in place, you also have to consider the same for all of the people that would lose loved ones if we let this thing spread in mass. A death in the family carries many of the same consequences (depression, etc.).

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If you're going to discuss the collateral damage of sheltering in place, you also have to consider the same for all of the people that would lose loved ones if we let this thing spread in mass. A death in the family carries many of the same consequences (depression, etc.).
    Very true. It is a misconception that when scientists run simulations on pandemics they only take human life into account. The economy, mental health, crime, second/third order effects and many other things are taken into account.

As we watch the death toll rise over the next few weeks we need to remember that it wouldn’t be this bad if we took the advice of experts seriously and followed their guidelines.

i wish we had a karma virus

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    i wish we had a karma virus
    I'm working on a vaccine

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	324396
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Got some rollerballs on way down but cream cheesy meh pow turns from 7400 down to road. USFS patrolling road but a wave sent him on his way before he stopped for a bit at intersection. He looped back up HV to pass out fines/educate I'm guessing. No stoke footage bc I'm solo other than doggo today and not heartless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for not posting pics
    Last edited by powdork; 04-06-2020 at 07:58 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.