Page 150 of 165 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 4118
    Getting rain across the sierra. only light here in South Lake but it looks like the creek fire is getting a decent shot.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Holy crap, it's not terrible outside!

Taken while riding the morning commute this morning...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Rumor that El Dorado National Forest will open tomorrow at 8:00 am. I would assume that would mean the same for LTBMU, but who knows.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

I think we’re overdue for a bit of pot stirring...

The ongoing blanket closure of all FS land across the entire state is excessive and bordering on ridiculous. There are much more measured approaches they could have taken, including heavy restrictions on high hazard activities, closures of select areas or even select forests, etc.

Plenty of activities not associated with forest recreation start fires. Why don’t we close all the roads in California so that we don’t risk someone dragging trailer chains or flicking a butt out the window.

It seems an unfortunate precedent was set in March that we can just close everything and tell everyone to stay home as the first instinct solution to a tricky problem.

I know that fire resources are stretched thin, and that the East wind event that coincided with the start of the closure was particularly dangerous. But that wind event was in the past, yet the closures remain current.

Just one man’s opinion, but I’m entitled to be right.

Argue:

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

LTBMU just announced day use only allowed within the basin. perfect

I agree with what you said except they did end it as soon as the threat ended. Starting with Humbodt Toiyabe on Tuesday, now El Dorado and LTBMU. They were also looking at how completely stupid we are, since this immediately followed the gender reveal fire (I know the park wasn't forest service) and the fork fire, which was pretty obviously campers or 4wd'ers (after the campgrounds had closed elsewhere). It also happened while the fires were just getting started in Oregon and Washington, placing even more pressure on resources.
    Now if they would just LET IT BURN where possible

Right, how many mountain bikers start fires?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I got a warning on my windshield threatening a fine up to $5000 and up to 6 months in jail for standing waist deep in a river swinging a stick over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    I got a warning on my windshield threatening a fine up to $5000 and up to 6 months in jail for standing waist deep in a river swinging a stick over my head.
    A closure is a closure they were very clear about that. Fisherman have been known to cook fish. Were you parked on a specifically FS road? Cars cause fires all the time. If they let you in then they have to let in the mountain bikers (who also think they never start fires), and also the hikers (who never start fires). It was a blanket order because picking and choosing wasn't an option at the time. Now it is, and they are reopening to those folks

It was the first day of the closure, parked in the gravel lot on the road leading down to the stampede power plant. Was actually thinking that this particular activity wouldn’t have violated the closure, as I sorta thought using a privately owned road (regularly used to get to the river) used to access a river, which I’d hoped would fall into a grey area due to rivers being public under the state constitution. I’ve heeded the closure since then.

I absolutely understand the need to be consistent. I was trying to be tongue in cheek.

I was also having a tough day of fishing so there was zero risk of me starting a fire cooking fish.

I’m happy to see forests reopening, including the Tahoe on my side of the lake. But I stand by my original points.

Is this going to be the norm every fire season?

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Don't recall how this finally unfolded, but they can for sure get official blame:

https://sfist.com/2016/08/30/rock_cr...in_bike_pedal/

Don't get me wrong I hate the precedent. It's scary as hell. Just saying noone should have been surprised to get at least a warning, and should be happy to only have gotten one. I live adjacent to FS land so I said fuck it and just left. Not that it was a hard thing I also went to clear skies and snow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4062.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	340708

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	340709

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	789.7 KB 
ID:	340710

Name:	IMG_4226.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	340711

Also, region 5 first closed the so cal national forests. They later closed all in the state and the ltbmu.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Don't recall how this finally unfolded, but they can for sure get official blame:

https://sfist.com/2016/08/30/rock_cr...in_bike_pedal/
    They lost me at SierraS

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bakersf...alifornia-fire

Close the roads!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Roads have always been causes of fires. That was definitely part of the reason for their closure.

The Grizzly Creek Fire in Colorado, was started by a blown truck tire along I70.

Apparently they know this by the multiple ignition points.

I just drove across Nv, Ut, Wy, Co, Ut and Nv again and right now there are temporary road signs all over the west warning that flat tires cause fires. I haven't figured out what we are supposed to do with the information though. Try really hard not to get a flat? It's not just tires though. Pulling over into tall grass for any reason. Any car fire. And obviously accidents. We got super lucky last year's truck accident on 50 didn't burn down half the houses in the Elks Club Road area.

They closed Mormon emigrant trail (paved highway but FS owned) so road closures did happen a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I just drove across Nv, Ut, Wy, Co, Ut and Nv again and right now there are temporary road signs all over the west warning that flat tires cause fires. I haven't figured out what we are supposed to do with the information though.
    CHECK THE SPARE!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think the forest closures were warranted. I think someone already mentioned, but Jesus after someone started that fire in SoCal it was totally expected/reasonable for region 5 to go ahead and shut down all public access. There would’ve been nobody to respond to any new starts and we’ve seen how quickly some of these fires have blown up. And comparisons to roads is not fair. The closures are about reducing risk, not totally eliminating them.

Although I will say, after the cool temps and some rain we got today I was going to be pretty disappointed if the Forests were still closed for the weekend. Hopefully it doesn’t turn into too bad of a shit show

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    LTBMU just announced day use only allowed within the basin. perfect

They were also looking at how completely stupid we are, since this immediately followed the gender reveal fire (I know the park wasn't forest service) and the fork fire, which was pretty obviously campers or 4wd'ers (after the campgrounds had closed elsewhere). It also happened while the fires were just getting started in Oregon and Washington, placing even more pressure on resources.
    Now if they would just LET IT BURN where possible
    Agree. Also the idea wasn't just that people using the forest would start fires, but that if a fire started for any reason scarce resources would have to be used to find and evacuate those people--resources that could have been used to fight the fire. Look at what happened with the Creek Fire.
    Tahoe National Forest opens on Saturday. No camping except in designated campgrounds, in the Wilderness, or within 500 feet of the PCT. Through Oct 18. No stoves of any kind through Sept 21.

somebody made the argument that covid was precedent for a "just shut it all down" model of policy but,
    just our luck that we get to enjoy TWO unprecedented disasters simultaneously. This wasn't-- still isn't a normal fire season. (...fuk)

we still doing bootfitting recs?

While the closures seem a little extreme, people have just been such fucking idiots this summer it's hard to say it wasn't the right call. The number of little blazes that had to get put out in the area from camp fires is incredibly shocking. Just when I think people can't get any dumber...

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    somebody made the argument that covid was precedent for a "just shut it all down" model of policy but,
    just our luck that we get to enjoy TWO unprecedented disasters simultaneously. This wasn't-- still isn't a normal fire season. (...fuk)

we still doing bootfitting recs?
    Just two? You forget about the locusts, RBG passing away, record hurricane seasone, give me a minute and I'll come up with more.

^ people getting murdered by hornets