Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2660
  1. #2126
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,805
    Based on numbers alone, I feel safer in Santa Cruz right now. Our numbers are growing much slower than Tahoe Forest, Placer county or El Dorado county. Now someone from Santa Clara County might feel different.

    The five different families I've spoken with in the past week who have been considering fleeing to their mountain homes are not looking for safety. They want to get out and recreate. People are cramped inside small apartments and homes around the BA. There are few large green spaces. So they are not looking to get up there because of safety. They have cabin fever. I convinced at least four of the families not to travel. The dad from the fifth family does not understand why I don't want to lend him my beacon, shovel and probe.

    I know of two families who have already been up there. One spent the last two weeks at their family home in Christmas Valley. The other went up for 4 days to clear out their lease - even though the landlord told them not to worry about it, as he has no plans to rent it out come spring. They decided it was best to get their gear now, and have a few days for the kids to play in the snow.

    Ya'll will need much bigger numbers to scare away folks based on that alone. There are rationalizers and deniers down here as well.

    LSL - it is the stoke in this thread, and on instagram that are tempting people to flee to the hills. Cunted threads are better than more people driving all over the place to have fun.

  2. #2127
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    11,686
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    What part are you disputing based on an app on your phone? There's clearly plenty of people around Tahoe that don't belong right now. It ain't hard to tell who's local and who's not.
    Of course there are people from the bay in Tahoe, but the idea that they're the ones out skiing while the locals are just staying at home is complete nonsense.

  3. #2128
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That false sense of security actually increases the risk, as people let their guard down--don't wear masks, wash their hands, or stay away from other people.
    2 weeks ago my wife and I went to the South Lake DMV. She was wearing a mask and the DMV people freaked out, stepping back and asking her if she was sick. She took the mask off.

    Initially there was a big difference in preventative mask wearing acceptance than there is now. I know that the Bay Area wasn't that way at all 2 weeks ago based on family members that live there. This might have something to do with the spike. Now that it is a national recommendation attitudes will probably change.

    On a skiing-related note I'm happy that I can still XC ski with the dog from my house in Meyers. That 4' that fell in mid March really lasted, and with more on the way this could actually end up being one of the later dates that neighborhood skiing ends for the year. Yes, I'm that guy in the Meyers photo

  4. #2129
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tahoe
    Posts
    2,947
    that meme is fucking awesome
    up here in the land of doc antles the parking lots are pretty much just occupied by locals after being full the last couple weeks. it appears most of the second home owners have split town and anyone with a conscience has stopped renting their airbnb. my gf has one in the county that she shut down weeks ago even though april 12th is the actual date that airbnb put out there for slt.

    what site you on these days bg? thinking bout dipping my toes back into that world with all the free time ive got. theres only so much degenerate action i can bet on russian and ukranian table tennis.....hah!!!

    on the bright side........i havnt road raged in weeks. i am well aware we need tourists for our mtn economy to function, but god damn has it been nice only having locals on the road that know how to drive and know where theyre going

  5. #2130
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,805
    This is what I'v been trying to get at. You can exercise near home. This guy bagged a peak and skied while not going very far from his apartment. It juts takes a little creativity.


  6. #2131
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    central sierra
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    This is what I'v been trying to get at. You can exercise near home. This guy bagged a peak and skied while not going very far from his apartment. It juts takes a little creativity.

    Wow, that is fantastic, incredibly well done.

  7. #2132
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    This is what I'v been trying to get at. You can exercise near home. This guy bagged a peak and skied while not going very far from his apartment. It juts takes a little creativity.

    That guy is awesome. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall watching him film that

  8. #2133
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,229

    The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

    Thanks for posting that OT. Super well done

    I wonder if he called SAR for help or was he able to self rescue? Hopefully he learned his lesson and no PPE was wasted on him
    Last edited by mcski; 04-04-2020 at 03:48 PM.

  9. #2134
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Of course there are people from the bay in Tahoe, but the idea that they're the ones out skiing while the locals are just staying at home is complete nonsense.
    No denying that. Last couple storm cycles I would ballpark it at 50/50. People literally skinning up and asking where the skin track goes, and getting offended when all I'll tell them is "up". Actually kinda ready for the trails to melt out, but I think that will tempt even more people to head up here, especially when it gets hot down there. Hopefully this shit is over by then, but not counting on it.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  10. #2135
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,656
    Latest snow surveys https://www.sierrasun.com/news/despi...below-average/
    72% near mt rose, 66% at Sierra at Tahoe

  11. #2136
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Latest snow surveys https://www.sierrasun.com/news/despi...below-average/
    72% near mt rose, 66% at Sierra at Tahoe
    The March event really brought us out of the dregs snowpack-wise, though the improvement in ski conditions exceeded the water resource improvements (in my biased view). I have some cool plots to visualize this, but can't seem to get the image uploader to work. More importantly, I added six locations to the TahoeKing plot but can't upload that either.

    Since video links seem to still work, and in case you are bored, I gave about 16 minutes of rambling December-March weather and climate updates for the National Integrated Drought Information System (drought.gov) California and Nevada Drought Early Warning System. Snow is discussed, but I should have given more shout outs to NorNev mountains

    Intro about DEWS starts at about 2:30 and gets into the presentation at 5:30 in.


  12. #2137
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    The March event really brought us out of the dregs snowpack-wise, though the improvement in ski conditions exceeded the water resource improvements (in my biased view). I have some cool plots to visualize this, but can't seem to get the image uploader to work. More importantly, I added six locations to the TahoeKing plot but can't upload that either.

    Since video links seem to still work, and in case you are bored, I gave about 16 minutes of rambling December-March weather and climate updates for the National Integrated Drought Information System (drought.gov) California and Nevada Drought Early Warning System. Snow is discussed, but I should have given more shout outs to NorNev mountains

    Intro about DEWS starts at about 2:30 and gets into the presentation at 5:30 in.

    Whoa, sweet. Will def be checking this out tomorrow/tonight, thanks for the insider info!! I’ve downloaded data from the mt rose snotel and will probs look at the snotel sites in Oregon too, FAT snowpack there right now. Ik the graphs are all available online anyways, but just fun to play with the data.

    Cool to see another weather/climate/snow nerd!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  13. #2138
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,687
    As of today uphill traffic at Kirkwood has been suspended



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #2139
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    19
    “And I am ready and eager to do my part so far as I am able in helping to solve problems which must be solved....This is the duty of every citizen....”

    Theodore Roosevelt, June 18, 1910, upon landing at Battery Park, NYC, after his return from his Africa expedition.


    No particular stoke to add here. Just a perspective. On March 19, I had an incredible day on Rubicon of sun and cold thigh deep. Day 34 of my Jubilee Ski Year. After that I shut it down. I had debated whether hitting the back-country was a reasonable means of reconciling social distancing with social interdependence. A discussion with a life long friend and ski partner changed my outlook. The buddy, a leader in neonatology who deals with ethical issues daily, told me it is simply a matter of numbers that even our slightly deranged high school typing teacher could understand. As he was directing the placement of tents in the parking lot of his east coast hospital to prepare for the surge that has since arrived, he asked me to think as I clicked into my bindings about the internist, nurse or fireman risking their lives to place a breathing tube in a virus patient.


    In other words, he was saying don’t be a selfish prick.


    Hoping to ask you mags for change for a nickle at the Brewer’s Creek trail head this year. If were still inside because of the federalist enemies of science, then next year.


    Teddy Roosevelt conserved vast swaths of natural resources for the American people. To this day you and I enjoy his dedication to preserve the wild when we break track and let the woes of civilization, as it is, melt away. He summoned the public to demand action. To borrow from S.S. McClure, a magazine editor that championed Roosevelt, as we cast about for a remedy, “[t]here is no one left, none but all of us.” Stay at home.

  15. #2140
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    873
    https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?ima...5ae4259c188345

    This is what happens when Americans don’t take social distancing seriously like the scientists suggested. Remember this graph when you are thinking of doing something against the recommendations.

  16. #2141
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    107
    Scary thing is some mountains may still be doing AC work during/after this storm and poachers can put those folks in huge peril.

    Stay the fuck away from closed resorts.

  17. #2142
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    195
    Sierra closed at 50. HV will undoubtedly be next. Let's concentrate Covid19 to emerald bay. Seriously what is the is the USFS thinking. Skiers are gonna ski. 5k fine or not.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  18. #2143
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?ima...5ae4259c188345

    This is what happens when Americans don’t take social distancing seriously like the scientists suggested. Remember this graph when you are thinking of doing something against the recommendations.
    Thought about it. Still doing whatever I want in regards to outdoors. I'm not putting myself under house arrest because some corrupt fuckwads at CDC/WHO are making up shit on the fly based on bullshit PCR tests. Especially when this is obviously an orchestrated implosing of the world economy. I'm not the least bit worried about a "virus". People that wear masks and gloves that aren't sick are already infected with a worse kind of virus. Anyone with the least bit of critical thinking can see everyone around them is acting absolutely insane. The CDC/WHO are bought and paid for by big pharma. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.

    FFS this morning I saw a bunch of fat people wearing masks and gloves lined up outside Doughboy Donuts. I almost yelled out my window at them to just take the masks off and get it over with.

  19. #2144
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,470
    Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Thought about it. Still doing whatever I want in regards to outdoors. I'm not putting myself under house arrest because some corrupt fuckwads at CDC/WHO are making up shit on the fly based on bullshit PCR tests. Especially when this is obviously an orchestrated implosing of the world economy. I'm not the least bit worried about a "virus". People that wear masks and gloves that aren't sick are already infected with a worse kind of virus. Anyone with the least bit of critical thinking can see everyone around them is acting absolutely insane. The CDC/WHO are bought and paid for by big pharma. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH.

    FFS this morning I saw a bunch of fat people wearing masks and gloves lined up outside Doughboy Donuts. I almost yelled out my window at them to just take the masks off and get it over with.
    You're in the medical field?

  20. #2145
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    7,675
    Some random idiot on the internetz wrote:

    obviously an orchestrated implosing [sic] of the world economy
    Just stop.

  21. #2146
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cruzing
    Posts
    9,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Sierra closed at 50. HV will undoubtedly be next. Let's concentrate Covid19 to emerald bay. Seriously what is the is the USFS thinking. Skiers are gonna ski. 5k fine or not.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Not sure what you are worried about. The "virus" is hoax. You can't get sick from it. It is an implosing economy thing. All made up by fuckwads.

    Or you could follow the stay near home recommendations issued by the state and just stay near home.

    Usually I prefer to listen to random idiots on the internet tho.


    .... Is there really a 5K fine for touring? Or did you just make that up? Down here Shelter in Place violations are like $60 fines.

  22. #2147
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Sierra closed at 50. HV will undoubtedly be next. Let's concentrate Covid19 to emerald bay. Seriously what is the is the USFS thinking. Skiers are gonna ski. 5k fine or not.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    If that fine is even true, USFS is just covering their ass. Think about all the legal troubles federal agencies have had because they haven’t properly “warned” the public about risks of recreating outside. They’re just protecting taxpayers interests (covering their ass) so they don’t risk getting sued by some self-righteous prick for allowing public access during the pandemic. Feds almost always lose cases like that and have to put out millions of dollars in legal fees, etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  23. #2148
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,229

    The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

    Has the broken leg guy been roasted here yet? This is how easy you can go from being a questionable cunt to a confirmed cunt that is unnecessarily using up medical supplies.

    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...AwNKIRgpiBufX8

  24. #2149
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Has the broken leg guy been roasted here yet? This is how easy you can go from being a questionable cunt to a confirmed cunt that is unnecessarily using up medical supplies.

    https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...AwNKIRgpiBufX8
    Props at least for the self rescue, good assignment while sitting at home, practice making a sled
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 04-05-2020 at 10:35 AM.

  25. #2150
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    873

    The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

    Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    If that fine is even true, USFS is just covering their ass. Think about all the legal troubles federal agencies have had because they haven’t properly “warned” the public about risks of recreating outside. They’re just protecting taxpayers interests (covering their ass) so they don’t risk getting sued by some self-righteous prick for allowing public access during the pandemic. Feds almost always lose cases like that and have to put out millions of dollars in legal fees, etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Or maybe they saw our curve and want to discourage irresponsible people driving to the most popular trailheads. Beaches are closed too, so it’s not just the Forest Service.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •