Page 112 of 165 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Thinking about Shasta from brewer creek for solstice. Anybuddy got current conditions info?
    Just skied it yesterday, stashed my shoes at 8600’ and started skinning on continuous snow from there. We were at least a day early for optimal conditions. The snow is smooth and in great shape for this time of year, only the last few hundred feet were a little bumpy. Have fun. Lots of people at the trailhead for a suboptimal forecast on a weekday, seems popular this year.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    I have a bad feeling that this summer is going to be exceptionally crowded in the basin. The past few days have already felt like a weekend in July.
    I've never encountered so many people on the trails. The other day I went walking through the DP train tunnels and there was a group of like 40-50 people. Mostly kids but a good number of adults... no masks anywhere. Technically they were outside, I guess, but damn that's a pretty big group for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    I have a bad feeling that this summer is going to be exceptionally crowded in the basin. The past few days have already felt like a weekend in July.
    Please keep reporting. Was thinking of heading up and biking for a few days this summer. Based out of KW. But don’t really want to bother heading into the basin if shit is crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Please keep reporting. Was thinking of heading up and biking for a few days this summer. Based out of KW. But don’t really want to bother heading into the basin if shit is crowded.
    You can still find nice quiet trails so long as you avoid the obvious ones like TRT. Mid week isn't that bad, relatively speaking, unless you're looking to hangout lake-side.

Lived in Squaw for 10 years, and Glenshire for 5 before that. I have never seen so many people in the area as the last two weeks. It's going to get a lot worse. Every house on my street is jammed with cars, where normally that happens on 4th of July, etc. it's crazy how many people have fled the bay.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbrother49 View Post
    Lived in Squaw for 10 years, and Glenshire for 5 before that. I have never seen so many people in the area as the last two weeks. It's going to get a lot worse. Every house on my street is jammed with cars, where normally that happens on 4th of July, etc. it's crazy how many people have fled the bay.
    Rode Martis last night, never seen so many people at Castle Peak parking...
    On a sadder note, one of the frequent attendees of my Wednesday night rides went down in the meadow up above Bear Market. Tried to resuscitate for 35 mins before Cal Fire arrived... he didn't make it. Must have been some sort of cardiac event as he just keeled over. Live every day like it's your last my friends.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Condolences about your friend, scmartin69.

I’m not sure about placer and el dorado counties, but Nevada county has some pretty clear metrics about when they will take steps backwards from the re-opening:

Starts on page 7: https://www.mynevadacounty.com/Docum...da-County-Plan

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    On a sadder note, one of the frequent attendees of my Wednesday night rides went down in the meadow up above Bear Market. Tried to resuscitate for 35 mins before Cal Fire arrived... he didn't make it. Must have been some sort of cardiac event as he just keeled over. Live every day like it's your last my friends.

Is this the group Ken Goodman rides with?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Condolences about your friend, scmartin69.

I’m not sure about placer and el dorado counties, but Nevada county has some pretty clear metrics about when they will take steps backwards from the re-opening:

We've already seen a significant uptick in new cases after a month without any. And yet we're going to stage 3 with STR's and lodging reopening. It will take a massive spike to get the county to backtrack. I see little likelihood of the hospital being overwhelmed--second homeowners and tourists will retreat to home if they get sick, locals will be transferred to Reno and elsewhere.
    Allowing indoor gatherings of any kind--around here that's bars and restaurants and private parties--should be the last thing to reopen. Especially private gatherings, since there's no economic benefit, but good luck trying to enforce.

I hate crowds as much as the next person; I'd love to have the whole place to myself, but just a friendly reminder to everyone that if it's crowded where you are you're just as much a part of the problem as anyone else. The mountains, the lakes, all the public lands belong to everyone, not just "locals".

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We've already seen a significant uptick in new cases after a month without any. And yet we're going to stage 3 with STR's and lodging reopening. It will take a massive spike to get the county to backtrack. I see little likelihood of the hospital being overwhelmed--second homeowners and tourists will retreat to home if they get sick, locals will be transferred to Reno and elsewhere.
    Allowing indoor gatherings of any kind--around here that's bars and restaurants and private parties--should be the last thing to reopen. Especially private gatherings, since there's no economic benefit, but good luck trying to enforce.

I hate crowds as much as the next person; I'd love to have the whole place to myself, but just a friendly reminder to everyone that if it's crowded where you are you're just as much a part of the problem as anyone else. The mountains, the lakes, all the public lands belong to everyone, not just "locals".
    Old goat, have you tried reaching out to the county and sharing reasonable ideas about how to more effectively keep infections down but the economy moving? Educated voices of reason are important for them to hear.

The private parties that resulted in the most recent uptick occurred against the County order. That’ll be difficult to enforce.

Enforcement has been poor in the county of things that previously should have (and reasonably could have) been enforced upon. That will be a problem moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

No, don't know Ken... We're spread from Reno to Truckee and beyond.

Damn SC, that's horrific. So sorry to hear it. You never know when it's your day that's for sure.
    sproing!

Old goat, have you tried reaching out to the county and sharing reasonable ideas about how to more effectively keep infections down but the economy moving? Educated voices of reason are important for them to hear.

The private parties that resulted in the most recent uptick occurred against the County order. That’ll be difficult to enforce.

Enforcement has been poor in the county of things that previously should have (and reasonably could have) been enforced upon. That will be a problem moving forward.
    I have not. The County has excellent public health officers and I think their recommendations and rules make good sense. The problem is enforcement, especially of private gatherings. It is up to people to comply voluntarily because there is no way to enforce county edicts otherwise. I haven't been going to restaurants but I think most are trying to comply with the rules, but it's hard to ask restaurants and bar management to act as policemen. At this point I think the future of the pandemic is in the hands of the public. The experts and authorities have told us what to do; now we have to do it.

Update: "Californians must wear masks in all indoor public spaces under a mandate announced Thursday by Gov. Gavin Newsom designed to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The new rules require face coverings when people are riding in taxis and rideshare cars, taking public transit, standing in line to enter a building or walking through common areas like hallways, stairways, elevators and parking garages.

It also requires masks for people working in a building visited by the public even if no other people are present and at all locations where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution.

Masks are also required outdoors in spaces where people can’t maintain six feet of distance from one another."
    Last edited by old goat; 06-18-2020 at 01:39 PM.

In western county, the few restaurants that I’ve recently been to (for pick-up) are not complying with the rules, neither patrons nor staff. Some retail establishments have staff (and managers) that are not following their own printed rules.

It seems like one of the county metrics for rolling back reopening is related to hospital capacity, which sounds like may be smoke-and-mirrors with larger hospital systems available nearby by in Reno (east of crest) and valley (west of crest).

One of the private campgrounds (in Washington) has been open the entire time. They could have been operating in a manner that would be “safe,” idk, but it still wasn’t allowed, and other private campgrounds were following the rules and loosing a substantial portion of their annual income because they were following the rules. I asked the county health dept about the Washington campground and was told that this was a matter for the sheriff to handle.

I believe the recorded uptick in the county is residence and not second homeowners or travelers. Hospital data, which is not readily available, will be different.

Heard about this last night from my GF's daughter who was talking to one of your group back at NS.
    My condolences on your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

No, they were riding elsewhere last night.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The only restaurants I've been to so far are Pianeta and Truckee Tavern & Grill and both have done a great job of being in compliance. Maybe even a little overkill, in a good way. Pianeta has bar seating (with like 1/4 as many stools as normal) and put plexiglass up along the bar, which I thought was great.

And then my pick-up experiences (Fully Belly Deli, for example) have been pretty much on top of it, from what I've seen.

I honestly think private gatherings will prove to be the real problem here more so than public spaces. Although there was a shocking lack of masks last time I went to Save Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You can still find nice quiet trails so long as you avoid the obvious ones like TRT. Mid week isn't that bad, relatively speaking, unless you're looking to hangout lake-side.
    The key is just getting out early and avoiding the known backups (like driving up the west shore in the afternoon).

I've never gotten the impression that Placer County really, truly cares about the Tahoe communities and since they wanted to sue the governor about the stay at home order, I highly doubt they'll walk back reopening unless things get really bad.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

There's an interesting FreshAir podcast - Assessing Covid 19 Risk as the US Opens - where en epidemiologist basically states that the primary mode of transmission is airborne.... I'm sure I'm over simplifying it but basically I'll be avoiding any enclosed spaces with people I don't know for the foreseeable future. Outdoors, as long as somebody is not actively sneezing/coughing on you as you pass them or you trail them on a walk/hike/run/bike - seems like it would be mostly okay... At least that's how I rationalize not wearing a mask when I ride.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

In western county, the few restaurants that I’ve recently been to (for pick-up) are not complying with the rules, neither patrons nor staff. Some retail establishments have staff (and managers) that are not following their own printed rules.

It seems like one of the county metrics for rolling back reopening is related to hospital capacity, which sounds like may be smoke-and-mirrors with larger hospital systems available nearby by in Reno (east of crest) and valley (west of crest).

One of the private campgrounds (in Washington) has been open the entire time. They could have been operating in a manner that would be “safe,” idk, but it still wasn’t allowed, and other private campgrounds were following the rules and loosing a substantial portion of their annual income because they were following the rules. I asked the county health dept about the Washington campground and was told that this was a matter for the sheriff to handle.

I believe the recorded uptick in the county is residence and not second homeowners or travelers. Hospital data, which is not readily available, will be different.
    I went to a dine in restaurant for the first time since the shut downs started--Donner Lake Kitchen. The line up is outside with spacing marks, hostess seating (used to be seat yourself). staff wearing masks, tables sanitized for each customer. Widely spaced outside tables. There were inside tables, I didn't look. I was planning to leave if no outside table. After the people at the next table left the server brought me their umbrella. The nicest folks in the Truckee Tahoe area.

The campground thing shows the problem. A private campground poses minimal risk. Also beaches, traveling, backcountry skiing, park trails. I think people would be more inclined to follow the rules if the rules made sense from the beginning and would be less fatigued, I get it that we're figuring this stuff out, but we have epidemiologists who could have given more or better guidance to authorities on what the priorities should have been.

If you plan mainly to ride in the Kirkwood area, really you will probably be lucky to even see other riders. If you ride early in the basin you can usually avoid people for the most part

I’ve been bouldering much of the week at places I normally go with the dogs to avoid others. They’ve been crowded each time.
    This place wasn’t though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2426.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	332030

Name:	IMG_2451.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	332031

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thanks jorion!

I’m seeing way too many cars for midday in mid June. People have gone remote and they’re not going back. There’s still a weekend surge but the everyday base level of busy has gone up.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I’ve been bouldering much of the week at places I normally go with the dogs to avoid others. They’ve been crowded each time.
    This place wasn’t though

Name:	IMG_2426.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	332030

Name:	IMG_2451.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	332031

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's high. Looks hard to buy the pad if you fall.

it's kind of weird. the pic should be rotated a bit clockwise which would also make it look further away from the pads to the right. i was above them though it wasn't steep and i'd have to jump out a fair bit. the rock is good and well featured too. the egg shaped boulder poking out above the dogs is fun too. there's a lot in the vicinity although it just became bug season.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Thanks jorion!

I’m seeing way too many cars for midday in mid June. People have gone remote and they’re not going back. There’s still a weekend surge but the everyday base level of busy has gone up.
    we just need to kill all wifi in the basin. problem solved.