Page 161 of 165 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4118

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

And 8 hours later, just go look I don’t wanna deal with the forums inability to deal with screenshots. There’s more snow

https://skirose.com/the-mountain-web-cams/

They’ll be making it in great conditions for the next 60 hours
    Wizard by Wednesday? Or Tuesday?

Time for a new thread. But we saw what happened with 2020 so maybe someone else should give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I vote no new thread until snow naturally falls from the sky.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    fire weather is much more reliant on fuel moisture and RH than air temperature

cold, dry wind is certainly not as bad as hot dry wind but it’s bad
    With the power out in a lot of the wildfire hazard zones, my biggest concern are outdoor “warming fires” (it’ll be below freezing with the windchill in the foothills), idiots that think they should start their pile/debris burns because it’s cold and the autumn, fires from generators and shitty wiring systems, and sparks up and out of chimneys.

If lifts spin and people are skiing...its time for a new thread.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

^yup

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    just got back from schweitzer where i skied 1.5" on grass and rocks. my original plan was to head toward washington pass which had a bunch of snow but then the forecast changed to rain at 11k. I checked around and an on the ball forecaster from the spokane office noticed dew points dropping in the onkanagon valley and thought there was a good chance of snow instead of rain at bonners ferry which is near (and lower than) schweitzer.
    Contrast that with this afternoon's forecast out of the reno office. There is no discussion of, nor even mention of the word precipitation or any of it's brethren in the entirety of the forecast. And whoever it is doesn't sign it anymore. weak. X

Attachment 344336

Sometimes it feels like
    Somebody’s watching me (elk on the ridge)
    Attachment 344337
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho - where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From rose
    It's been a cold weekend at 8260'! This season, we'll be opening once we're able to offer top-to-bottom skiing in an effort to maximize guest distancing. With these low temps and the help of our Snowmaking crew, we're one step closer to winter!

If that just means Lakeview it could still be by the weekend although they don't seem to be on upper kit carson bowl yet.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    From rose

If that just means Lakeview it could still be by the weekend although they don't seem to be on upper kit carson bowl yet.
    I was told it won't be until they can get NW open, so unlikely to happen anytime soon, especially with forecast highs at 9K in the 50s later this week & overnight lows hovering around freezing but not even getting into the 20s.

Gonna be a long mt biking fall, sure would be nice if we could get just a little rain.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    random question, what does the avg shop in tahoe charge to cut skins? I've only done it a few times and trying to decide if it's worth having someone with more experience do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    random question, what does the avg shop in tahoe charge to cut skins? I've only done it a few times and trying to decide if it's worth having someone with more experience do it.
    I seem to remember seeing like $25 on a wall somewhere. Really easy to do yourself with the special doohickey... PM if you don't have one and I'll loan/give you one of mine.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

skins are pretty damn easy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Buy one of these and save some $ and time. Makes it a 5 minute job.

https://skimo.co/g3-trim-tool

Edit to add: just make sure you have the plush going the right direction when you trim.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Buy one of these and save some $ and time. Makes it a 5 minute job.

https://skimo.co/g3-trim-tool

Edit to add: just make sure you have the plush going the right direction when you trim.
    The aforementioned doohickey...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just buy a skin cutting tool, pomoca is my preferred one but the g3 one works just as well. Shops usually have them sitting around by the dozens, they might even hook you up with a gently used one if you ask.

Also, if its the BD Glidelite Skins make sure they're on there nice and tight as they like to fold up sometimes.

Cut a man's skins and he'll have one pair.
    Teach a man to cut his own skins, and he will buy you beer.

Give me a shout if you come to north lake. It's super freaking easy and I'll show you how. (with or without beer).

Do you know how to wax your skis or pay somebuddy to do that too? It's not as simple a cost vs difficulty decision (some shops will do a killer tune for $30, especially on newish skis), but there are also tons of tutorials out there on the web and basic gear is available for the cost of one tune.

If you want me to show you how to turn on your avy beacon, that's gonna cost ya. That being said, as a soon to be new owner of an inreach-enabled GPS, maybe we can do mutual back scratching

Edit to add: I have trimmed skins with a non-serrated paring knife. The G3 tool is just a fancied-up version of the BD tool, which is just a letter opener. The only thing the G3 tool does is let you trim without having to move the skin when trimming to get the proper reveal. But they are all just different sierras.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Piece-W...MAAOSwxcJd5EAI
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Pro tip: de-burr your skis first.

You can cut skins in about 2 minutes using the basic G3 tool. It's pretty much idiot proof. I'd be offended if a shop actually charged for that.

If your cutting skin(s), remember, the tip is the most sensitive part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    We could do a garage cut...pretty mellow. Located in south lake

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I was told it won't be until they can get NW open, so unlikely to happen anytime soon, especially with forecast highs at 9K in the 50s later this week & overnight lows hovering around freezing but not even getting into the 20s.

Gonna be a long mt biking fall, sure would be nice if we could get just a little rain.
    Remind me, but did the website not say a few back the resort would open until sufficient, top to bottom ride/ ski experience was possible? WTF does that mean anyway, this year is already so..? at any resort.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Do you know how to wax your skis or pay somebuddy to do that too?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by Westmeister View Post
    Remind me, but did the website not say a few back the resort would open until sufficient, top to bottom ride/ ski experience was possible? WTF does that mean anyway, this year is already so..? at any resort.
    It means that they don’t plan on opening like they have the past few years. It would be irresponsible to open the carpet or little wizard lift without being able to properly space people out. First few days of WROD is always a shit show with tons of people so it sounds like they’ll be waiting until they have top to bottom/enough space to keep people distanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blart View Post
    It means that they don’t plan on opening like they have the past few years. It would be irresponsible to open the carpet or little wizard lift without being able to properly space people out. First few days of WROD is always a shit show with tons of people so it sounds like they’ll be waiting until they have top to bottom/enough space to keep people distanced.
    the only problem with this is that the longer they wait, the more the fervor of the shit show increases, unless somehow they cooperate with other resorts like squaw/n*/heavenly/boreal to open at the same time.

damn that inversion set in quick. guns are off.

Dam I was gonna ride up roundabout this morning so I could stick my head in front of a gun for my first faceshot of the season