Page 96 of 165 FirstFirst ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Luxury condos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where is that taken?

No. Loveland in CO, for one.

Looks like pretty mellow terrain but that's good. Not a ton of beginner options at Rose.
    Rose seriously suffers from a lack lower intermediate terrain. This expansion, while not interesting to me on a skiing level will serve to get the gapers off of the traverses to the good shit. Also, makes it easier to drop Sky Tavern for an EOD beer run...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    More 5k shutdowns on the south shore
    They will all just go to the E shore. The number of cars parked all along 28 today was roughly what I'd expect on a nice Spring day without a global pandemic. The beaches must have been packed. There was a lot of traffic, too. Overall it seems like people are definitely ignoring the requests to stay at home issued by all NV counties.

Virginia City was as dead as in January. (I rode my road bike from home around an extended version of the Lemond loop.)
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    Article about Mt Rose expansion: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...cross-highway/

Doubt they get started on it anytime soon but will that be the first resort in the USA to have a lift/ski bridge across a highway?
    There used to be a lift going across the road. They finally took in down in......2003ish I want to say?

Not like it's a highway but that groomer across the road to the lakes basin in mammoth is still there.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

A long time ago in new hampshire . . . https://www.newenglandskihistory.com...mtwhittier.php

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

These fokes are completely fed up with people starting out at 1pm and leaving deep tracks in the slope that freeze hard for the next morning’s corn run. I told them not to come to California cuz we have a no-NIMBY policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These homeowners were out there earlier than 7:30am. Blocking a public road that leads to public lands. A couple of 60 year old men concerned about the 'Rona, yet they were sitting next to each other about 3 feet apart and most likely dealing with strangers all day turning them around from accessing taxpayer funded lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Lakeside Inn fold?

I imagine a lot of those small hotels in SLT will have a hard time staying afloat.

What does that mean for the future? New ownership or less inventory?

That video is horrifying.
    For the intermediate future less inventory. i can't imagine anyone reopening it without at least a major refurbishment.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Rose seriously suffers from a lack lower intermediate terrain. This expansion, while not interesting to me on a skiing level will serve to get the gapers off of the traverses to the good shit. Also, makes it easier to drop Sky Tavern for an EOD beer run...
    Can I just throw in a (probably) unpopular opinion. Done properly, Mt Rose expansions could be really good. I'm foreseeing a bigger parking situation, some more lifts across the road -down the east side and maybe up towards the west on Tamarack, single ride lift tickets for BC access, a nice Tahoe-style village at 8,500 feet, gondolas from Galena and Davis Creek Park, etc.

Not even joking about all this. I would love to be able to park in Galena and then actually have a big/good resort to ski -with some legitimate backcountry access. An alps styled resort. Mt Rose is already the best resort in NV, why not have our best resort also be a good resort by *any* standards?

And the BC off Tamarack and the Galena Peaks pretty much gets tracked out like a resort anyway

With the growing population in Reno, it makes a ton of sense for Mt. Rose to expand. And you're right, Tamarack pretty much gets gang banged on the regular anyway.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

You guys know that as Mt. Rose keeps expanding, the probability that it joins the IKON Pass grows greatly. Or it could be bought up by Vail.

Also, it will be interesting to see how much Reno and other smaller cities grow due to Covid-19, which has a shown huge downside of having megacities.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    You guys know that as Mt. Rose keeps expanding, the probability that it joins the IKON Pass grows greatly. Or it could be bought up by Vail.
    As someone who usually gets IKON...that would be sweet! Its not like the weekend lines at Rose could get much longer anyway. Now how about that Gondola?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    With the growing population in Reno, it makes a ton of sense for Mt. Rose to expand. And you're right, Tamarack pretty much gets gang banged on the regular anyway.
    Thats what I'm saying! Rose has a mega population base and not very much terrain. It's obviously getting over utilized, and growth in Reno isn't about to end anytime soon. Lots of people are moving because they recognize it as a "mountain town" now.

I stopped skiing Tamarack because I don't like hiking 45 minutes to hit moguls. Might as well just ride a lift for that

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post

Also, it will be interesting to see how much Reno and other smaller cities grow due to Covid-19, which has a shown huge downside of having megacities.
    Reno has already been one of the fastest growing cities in the country over the past several years. I doubt Mt. Rose would feel they need to join Epic / IKON when they have a healthy population base right next door.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Reno has already been one of the fastest growing cities in the country over the past several years. I doubt Mt. Rose would feel they need to join Epic / IKON when they have a healthy population base right next door.
    You could say the same for Alta/Snowbird and they could not resist joining IKON. If Rose joins IKON watch all the folks from Reno and the Bay Area flock to Rose on days when it’s raining at the base of other North Bay resorts. Better build the biggest resort in Tahoe.

To be honest, another mega-large ski resort in the Tahoe area sounds super disheartening to me. When is enough commercialization enough? Yeah, tamarack gets super tracked out in a second, but I still enjoy being able to go out there when conditions are meh and not having anyone around me. Also, the farther a mount rose expansion goes in that direction the closer their getting to wilderness. I know the notion of any part of rose area being true wilderness is kind of moot, but I think it’s still best to avoid any further encroachment near wilderness

Rant/ Also, I can’t for the life of me fathom why Reno is blowing up. I guess it’s close to Tahoe but the town itself is honestly underwhelming for what people pay to live here. People paying $500,000 for a 1300 sq ft house and one bathroom. That’s just a disgusting level of wealth that I can’t even imagine. A friend grew up (in other part of country) in a house like that w/ five other people out of necessity/poorness; it’s mind-boggling that someone with the means would willingly choose a one bathroom house for that price. Houses go for the same price in a place like Fort Collins, CO and it’s honestly a way better place to live. Been in Reno for about a year now, can never see myself wanting to live here long-term

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Maybe it’s just Californication? I mean I guess Reno is sweet if you’re coming from the Bay Area and you were already making the drive to Tahoe every weekend. Other than that, don’t see the appeal at all. /end rant

Edit: I know it’s obviously much more expensive to live in Bay Area, Santa Cruz and the like, but the value of living there seemed to correspond with the cost IMO

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Rant/ Also, I can’t for the life of me fathom why Reno is blowing up. I guess it’s close to Tahoe but the town itself is honestly underwhelming for what people pay to live here. People paying $500,000 for a 1300 sq ft house and one bathroom. That’s just a disgusting level of wealth that I can’t even imagine. A friend grew up (in other part of country) in a house like that w/ five other people out of necessity/poorness; it’s mind-boggling that someone with the means would willingly choose a one bathroom house for that price. Houses go for the same price in a place like Fort Collins, CO and it’s honestly a way better place to live. Been in Reno for about a year now, can never see myself wanting to live here long-term

$500k for 1300 Sq ft is far from typical for Reno.

Where did you live before Reno?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    $500k for 1300 Sq ft is far from typical for Reno.

Where did you live before Reno?
    I know that’s on the high end, in old southwest area. But still, I haven’t seen anything here of quality for less than $350,000. And a state that was more affordable than Nevada, but slightly higher prop taxes. Either way, cost of living in Nevada is higher than avg for the rest of the country

I apologize for being pages behind....but this was a well-written satire, right? Emcee?

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Following prolonged deliberation, El Dorado and Placer county health officials, mayors and community leaders created a joint statement with a simple message: "if you don't live here, please go away." When pressed for further clarification, they re-iterated that this directive specifically applies to homeowners who claim a primary residence outside of the county area, stating that part-time homeowners should "fuck right off and get out of here".

Listeners questioned how second homeowners who are abiding by the letter and spirit of the shelter in place rules are creating more risk in the community. "They're coming here from the Bay Area and bringing the China virus with them," county officials explained, "There was no China virus before they were here, and now they're here and now we have it. We just don't trust them or have the infrastructure here to care for them."

Second homeowners who have been living here for the winter questioned why their circumstances are different from the seasonal workers and J-1s visiting temporarily from New Hampshire and Argentina. "Well the seasonal workers are different, they have worse jobs than ours, so we're not intimidated by them and frankly, we need somebody left in the community to look down on" a county spokesman entered into the public record.

They continued, "Look, we really love our second homeowners, but it's just not the time for you to be up here. You need to go back to where you came from. And keep paying your property taxes, and please continue to support Tahoe small businesses - just from afar." When pressed on the logistics of this, county officials replied "please just leave a pile of cash in an envelope on your doorstep when you depart. We will ensure the money is split equitably between Alpenglow, the Keep Tahoe Blue Foundation, and the Placer County motor vehicle pool budget. And please continue to purchase homes to support our property values, just don't plan to come live in them, or rent them. Just please look at photos of your new home on Zillow from your Bay Area couch."

Asked about the limited resources in the Tahoe area as they prepare for a surge, a Placer County health officer replied, "we are very fortunate to be close to the Bay Area and their world-class health infrastructure - we are currently receiving surplus medical devices from their stockpile and have contingencies to send patients down the hill to open beds should the need arise."

Exasperated listeners made a final press on the fairness of the issue, and mechanisms for enforcement. County spokespeople replied unanimously, "The Bay visitors have been nothing but trouble, especially the second homeowners just trying to live safely with their families. All Tahoe locals have been perfectly abiding by the shelter in place rules, staying in their homes and only leaving for a walk around the block and picking up prescriptions for their elderly neighbors. These second homeowners and their small children have been congregating at trailheads, posting photos of sick air on Instagram, throwing bonfire parties behind the Raley's and engaging in generally unsafe behavior. Look, we full-time residents have always had a love-hate relationship with the part-time residents, and this health crisis is giving us the opportunity to really lean into the 'hate' side of things."

County officials did acknowledged that this directive could only be taken as a suggestion, and preventing somebody from abiding by shelter in place rules at their own physical residence is legally and constitutionally unenforceable.

Hahaha... Lived in Midtown (and still own property as a slumlord) I agree it's overpriced and worst thing for this forum not close enough to the mountains. SE Reno is cheaper and closer to the hills but living out there sucks. SW is much nicer and closer but waaay more expensive--choose your poison--I am boots on at Rose in 15 mins if the gapers and minivans don't get in my way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

yes, thanks splat, 100% satire -- tried to drop an F bomb early to make that clear.

The best part about satire is you never have to apologize! (?)

All the businesses moving to reno are just doing the same thing patagonia did years ago: selling to the upright citizens brigade in california while secretly taking advantage of freedom eagle state tax rates. Duh. It's the next salt lake city. And then follows the perceived demand for housing and all the other inflated bullshit that goes with unbridled development.

Personally I can't wait until the entire basin is connected by chairlifts because that means some rick fucks at vail will make more money, while salivating real estate agents here explain to you why it's a good idea. We can probably hook up with one wasatch and mammoth at some point.

#progress
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I am gathering funding to upgrade the Rim Trail to a Monorail to connect all the resorts.
    Everyone loves monorails, right?

Cue simpsons clip....

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I am gathering funding to upgrade the Rim Trail to a Monorail to connect all the resorts.
    Everyone loves monorails, right?

Cue simpsons clip....
    The monorail idea is not new, probably happen before 89 to Tahoe City gets widened. Or just blame the dude in jorts with the way too small bike