Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Your ski town math is off. 10 people @ 450....easy peasy.
    I was thinking 6. Still ain’t cheap. But no way I’d pay that much for a place I might sleep in only on weekends.

So snow retiree trustafarian bum consultant type.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    What city would charge for parking at the ski hill lots?

Last I remember, it cost $$ to park for castle peak, too, cuz it’s a snow park. Not a lot of $$ but not free.

Bummer about the northstar parking thing. We’ve enjoyed the free ice skating there in the past.
    I moved here in '94. Got my first snopark pass in about '98. They were $25 then. They're $25 now. I wish they cost more so there could be more of them and better taken care of. Mount Hood has 20. There are 6 on the way from Bend to Bachelor on Cascade Lakes Highway and quite a few more after (btw, your CA snopark is good at Oregon parks too). Tallac for sure needs one. The whole Flagpole to Angora area needs one. The Jakes to Rubicon area needs one. And that's just for skiers. The Hospital Hill on Spooner summit should be one. That could be a gold mine instead of a litterbox.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I got a buddy hired as a bartender that might be interested.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Yeah I realize that it’s an optimistic idea because everyone would have to work together for a common goal and that’s not easy. I just trust the city more than Alterra and Vail to lead the effort since the city doesn’t report to shareholders. If Vail pledged that 100% of the revenues from the parking fees would go toward reducing traffic I would not object to it. Heck it would be even better if Vail and Alterra both started charging for parking and worked together with each other and the city to use 100% of the revenue to improve traffic. I am not holding my breath...
    First, almost all resorts are in the county, not any city. Second, it would be a violation of their lease agreements. Third, the more realistic approach - which was discussed a week or two ago in a different thread - is to start charging for every car that comes into the basin / area. That would be easier and far more impactful. I like that idea... that would be some serious revenue to go towards reliable mass transit systems, etc.

Just need a tunnel on the pass. Solves avy control issues and you could put a EZ Pass scanner in there and not worry about snow or storms.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    First, almost all resorts are in the county, not any city. Second, it would be a violation of their lease agreements. Third, the more realistic approach - which was discussed a week or two ago in a different thread - is to start charging for every car that comes into the basin / area. That would be easier and far more impactful. I like that idea... that would be some serious revenue to go towards reliable mass transit systems, etc.
    Good point about charging every car coming into the basin. Did not see the other thread. Either way, I agree that this is a Vail money grab particularly because it was announced after people bought their passes. Particularly disappointed, but not surprised, that both Vail and Alterra are doing so little to address the traffic issues.

I would make it TOT funded so you don't have locals complaining "I already paid a lot to get in here" or having to administer a resident pass system. Just tell the visitors that part of their lodging price goes to fund the numerous shuttles and busses that make it so easy to leave your car at the rental or just come up on the train.

Now if only we could actuality generate policy from here. The wootest, but improving the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Went up 88 this afternoon. Smoke from USFS controlled burn fucked the air from Silver Lake to Hope Valley
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Smoke in the low areas from prescribe fires is likely to be the new normal.

I posted that info about fees to enter the basin. My guess is that it’ll be basin specific and not apply outside the basin. If I remember right, we’ll know more in a few months.

Btw, is northstar partial on (federal) lease land or all private property?

Low areas ...

Sliver Lake to Hope Valley

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Speaking of the USFS fucking up the backyard - https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=47342

Snowmobiles on chickadee ridge, relay ridge, and apparently the snowplay area off of mt rose hwy. where literally hundreds of people each weekend day enjoy human powered backcountry recreation. That few acres is probably the most racially diverse usage in the whole basin. Brrrap brrrap those peasants

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No change for the meadows sled hill. That proposed opening is for the incline lake area. Aside from the sledding hill or the meadows proper, I don't think you could have chosen a worse place to let sleds run rampant. It's like opening the flats on the start of the approach to tamarack or the area between the parking and where the climb starts on powderhouse into OSV areas.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Went up 88 this afternoon. Smoke from USFS controlled burn fucked the air from Silver Lake to Hope Valley
    Ah. Wondered what the smoke was from. It was mondo thick around 5pm.
    Me'n Vets snagged Oct turns on the backside of the Nipple and it was brisk and Bluebird the whole time we were there. Then driving back to 88 we hit a wall of smoke trapped in the valley.

My initial thought was "damn, we almost made it through the summer and fall without a serious fire in Tahoe."

Glad to know it was a controlled burn. But it sure didn't help the air quality.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

From Angora Ridge yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0066.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	946.1 KB 
ID:	296673

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    No change for the meadows sled hill. That proposed opening is for the incline lake area.
    I agree that opening the flats around Incline Lake is probably a foul idea, but pretty minor in the scheme of things. They will track out the area quickly, but it won't really affect the popular skiing, which is past the lake in the closed area anyway. Scanning the "proposed open but currently closed" areas on the map yields no other concerns IMO. They are planning to restrict OSV use to odd days only in some areas which are currently open, so that's a plus.

One very positive change stood out, though: expansion of the Spring Creek (Tallac) parking from 8 to 20 formalized spots would be very welcome.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    ...I wouldn’t mind paying for parking if the money went to improving the shit show that Truckee has become during the winter.
    Just how bad is the winter traffic & parking situation for Squaw/Alpine?

(I'm clueless nowadays, because I moved away from Tahoe 3.5 years ago, but will live there again this winter, skiing Squaw/Alpine.)

I was assuming that traffic/parking will not be an issue at all on NON-powder days mid-week---but just how bad is it on weekends and mid-week pow days?

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

The descents are preserved. The approach is gonna take a gas mask and probably a orange safety vest, but also sled trailers will take up parking (which is actually good for skiers). It's just a flat, open area so it will become beginner central and there will be buzzing beetles swarming around it all day long. I see a lot of conflicts being created for a pretty small additional area that has a nice snowshoe/xc trail along the northern edge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I agree that opening the flats around Incline Lake is probably a foul idea, but pretty minor in the scheme of things. They will track out the area quickly, but it won't really affect the popular skiing, which is past the lake in the closed area anyway. Scanning the "proposed open but currently closed" areas on the map yields no other concerns IMO. They are planning to restrict OSV use to odd days only in some areas which are currently open, so that's a plus.

One very positive change stood out, though: expansion of the Spring Creek (Tallac) parking from 8 to 20 formalized spots would be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Scanning the "proposed open but currently closed" areas on the map yields no other concerns IMO. They are planning to restrict OSV use to odd days only in some areas which are currently open, so that's a plus.
    Having lived in the neighborhood adjacent to South Lake Tahoe High School, it would be a shame to see Gardner Mt. overran with brap braps. I can't count how many hundreds of chill evenings I had in that little patch of woods. just by walking out my door. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Just how bad is the winter traffic & parking situation for Squaw/Alpine?

I was assuming that traffic/parking will not be an issue at all on NON-powder days mid-week---but just how bad is it on weekends and mid-week pow days?

Definitely deteriorated with the Ikon pass. Weekends and holidays, the Alpine upper lots fill by 9, and auxiliary lots at Deer Park and White Wolf by 930-945. Parking is not as much of an issue as is traffic on 89. Things really back up at Squaw Valley. If you're not past the Squaw turnoff by 8am on a weekend, you're going to be sitting in a couple of miles of back up. On the busiest powder days, expect that traffic can get backed up all of the way to the mouse hole and beyond.

Midweek at Alpine, it is now "normal" to see the upper lots at least half full every day. On a midweek pow day, expect that upper lots will fill. There is a lot of variability as to how mid-week crowds pan out, depending on whats projected to open at Alpine versus what is projected to open at Squaw.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Btw, is northstar partial on (federal) lease land or all private property?
    Partially on public land if I remember right from what a buddy who's patrolled there for years said. But I could be misremembering him talking about general environmental impact permits vs public land permits.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I agree Lepistoir, opening the incline lake area and the chickadee ridge is going to lead to a lot of conflicts and make a bad situation even worse. You really think they will stay in the flats around the old reservoir and plus you are going to hear them all day buzzing around from just about any place in watershed. Low, warm snow years are always going to concentrate everyone in that area, leading to a massive cluster fuck. The future does not look bright.

Just another nail in the Tahoe coffin for me, grew up in Incline, 47 year on- and off- resident, and still own property. Sad to say been thinking about selling and looking for a new spot. Ski resort consolidation, traffic from the bay area and in the basin, huge growth in Reno and Carson, Truckee area development, rising snow levels, social media dumb fucks, HOAs and fucking airbnb all suck. Now taking away any nearby small areas of quiet winter recreation, I need to get over the emotional hurdles, take the $$$ and run. My last winter likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Just another nail in the Tahoe coffin for me, grew up in Incline, 47 year on- and off- resident, and still own property. Sad to say been thinking about selling and looking for a new spot. Ski resort consolidation, traffic from the bay area and in the basin, huge growth in Reno and Carson, Truckee area development, rising snow levels, social media dumb fucks, HOAs and fucking airbnb all suck. Now taking away any nearby small areas of quiet winter recreation, I need to get over the emotional hurdles, take the $$$ and run. My last winter likely.
    I am starting to feel this way too. Been skiing Tahoe for 20 years and have seen steady decline over the last 10. When the drive from Truckee to Squaw, Alpine or Northstar can be north of one hour and half there is something wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are still days when everything comes together and Tahoe is one of the best places to ski on earth but those days are fewer and far in between and things seem to be moving in the wrong direction.

Not to interrupt the bitching about non-skiing topics with another one but thinking of trying my luck at sand harbor midweek for a little SUP. How dumb is this?

Last edited by lepistoir; 10-08-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Check the wind forecast

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    The descents are preserved. The approach is gonna take a gas mask and probably a orange safety vest, but also sled trailers will take up parking (which is actually good for skiers). It's just a flat, open area so it will become beginner central and there will be buzzing beetles swarming around it all day long. I see a lot of conflicts being created for a pretty small additional area that has a nice snowshoe/xc trail along the northern edge as well.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.