Page 39 of 165 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    If Vail was ever serious about Kirkwood that would be a high speed quad by now. probably with a bubble.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

We were chatting just about that today. Would have been a lot of fun to lap that lift.

Ended the day with a ski pre releasing and me landing back on my right shoulder. Might have sublexed. Now both shoulder are fucked up. Yippee.

Having my son's birthday party and one of the other dad's brought this: TGR beer!!!
    Well done Gents!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200111_173256.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	727.0 KB 
ID:	310220

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Shirley and Granite at Squaw were awesome this morning if you knew where the wind blown areas were.
    And again today! Was pleasantly surprised by the leeward shady gully wind deposits.

It’s nice when the snow pack is still thin enough that there are plenty of gullies to fill in with a little breeze and some snow to move. I like winter.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    And again today! Was pleasantly surprised by the leeward shady gully wind deposits.
    It was definitely much better today than I expected. Headwall opening was nice but plenty of stash hunting all over the mountain.

Name:	IMG_1632.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	310392

Skier666 was far braver than me with the mixed conditions...

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	310393
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    If Vail was ever serious about Kirkwood that would be a high speed quad by now. probably with a bubble.
    My wife and I skied most of one morning with Bill Killebrew at Heavenly over the Christmas break. Man, that guy has some interesting stories and is a pretty decent skier! Unfortunately he firmly believes that Vail will not invest anything more into either Heavenly or Kirkwood beyond the minimum to keep it going. We talked about lift maintenance, grooming, and snowmaking and it was clear he was a little sad with the state of the resort. He said it's like when you sell your house to someone else and they never paint it or clean the carpet.

I think the only thing Vail is serious about is raising pass prices every year. I imagine most of their Tahoe investment dollars go to N* with recent improvements like the new parking lot fee enhancements for example.

Chair 4 grooming at Kirkwood is the best I've seen. Also, the road to sentinel is nice and smooth and an easy skate for boarders. I give Vail some credit for these small things that make the experience better

Hmmmm, may need to play hooky from work Friday... Forecast is looking vera naiizse.

Lovely, bluebird, chilly windy morning at AM, lapping blown in powder with no lines. Riding the lift I started thinking about how lucky I am that I get to do this, almost brought a tear to my eye (or maybe that was the wind). I'm getting sentimental in my old age.

Hell yeah, OG! That's the spirit!!

Found some marginal snow and an old best friend down on the West Shore on Saturday. We found soft snow and goofed off. Stoked. \m/

Also found a wind slab that broke on third tap (CTE), but with minimal propagation/energy. Hard crust, underlain by near surface facets. Careful with this next cycle. Not so stoked.

Sunday, found boot-top untracked at the top of Estelle, and plenty of stashes. Yew! STOKED

After that, my daughter barfed in the Alpine cafeteria - not stoked. Sorry kiddo and onlookers.

Name:	IMG_20200111_131137.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	310517
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200113-143943.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	568.4 KB 
ID:	310518  
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Hell yeah, OG!
    After that, my daughter barfed in the Alpine cafeteria - not stoked. Sorry kiddo and onlookers.
    Not the first, won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Lovely, bluebird, chilly windy morning at AM, lapping blown in powder with no lines. Riding the lift I started thinking about how lucky I am that I get to do this, almost brought a tear to my eye (or maybe that was the wind). I'm getting sentimental in my old age.
    I couldn't believe how good Alpine was today after waking up to only a dusting. Not many people, either... I'm wondering if I rode a chair with you (I had orange pants, grey jacket, Moment Wildcat 108's with the moon-scape top sheets)?

Took a bunch of video but too lazy to go through it now, so here's one Summit lap trimmed down...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7R17K4Fcq8/

The storm (and wind) has really started to move in over the past hour or so.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Found some marginal snow and an old best friend down on the West Shore on Saturday. We found soft snow and goofed off. Stoked. \m/

Also found a wind slab that broke on third tap (CTE), but with minimal propagation/energy. Hard crust, underlain by near surface facets. Careful with this next cycle. Not so stoked.

Sunday, found boot-top untracked at the top of Estelle, and plenty of stashes. Yew! STOKED

Were you two kooks skiing on dynafits yesterday?

Lots of good windbuff at squaw today - if you kept an eye out for glaciers in between

West Shore?? that's South Shore get off my lawn dammit!!

West Shore?? that's South Shore get off my lawn dammit!!
    Uh oh, we're going to revive the skiing vs. mountain-biking tahoe / west shore geographical debate I got hammered on in this thread a few years back. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Chair 4 grooming at Kirkwood is the best I've seen. Also, the road to sentinel is nice and smooth and an easy skate for boarders. I give Vail some credit for these small things that make the experience better
    Vail is starting to come around. Pre Vail used to have more groomed terrain, which seems odd.

Vail did groom Montes and Janek this past weekend, which, given the firm conditions, I approve of. Gives more space for the majority of skiers to be when it is that firm out.
    Last edited by Ottime; 01-13-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Careful with this next cycle. Not so stoked.
    I’d concur based on what I skied today, doubt the line I skied today would be safe with another foot or more on top which seems to be a possibility this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    My wife and I skied most of one morning with Bill Killebrew at Heavenly over the Christmas break. Man, that guy has some interesting stories and is a pretty decent skier! Unfortunately he firmly believes that Vail will not invest anything more into either Heavenly or Kirkwood beyond the minimum to keep it going. We talked about lift maintenance, grooming, and snowmaking and it was clear he was a little sad with the state of the resort. He said it's like when you sell your house to someone else and they never paint it or clean the carpet.
    Kinda how I feel about Vail over the last few years. They definitely are not running the resorts horribly and they absolutely could be far worse but I do get the sense that their Tahoe resorts are the ugly step children of their portfolio.

FYI

there are still spaces available in SAC’s free Motorized Level 1 avalanche class in South Lake Tahoe Feb 21-23.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hard to expand with a limited labor pool. You’d have to raise wages in a questionable long term industry. Lake Tahoe is a tough place to grow with cost and regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm calling what I skied today Topaz Buffet.
    Lots of different flavors, none of it particularly good.
    Lets hope the bc improves over the next few days. It needs it.

some incredible wind buff in certain zones at Alpine today.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    I’d concur based on what I skied today, doubt the line I skied today would be safe with another foot or more on top which seems to be a possibility this week.
    It does appear to be getting the bulk of the snow right now too.