Page 37 of 165 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    +1 to the SF back country skiers facebook group, its very active and I have had good luck finding partners to go with

Chair 4 groomers were so good today. Perfect snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    There is also a Facebook page for San Francisco Backcountry interested peeps to meet up
    Hello, and thank you for calling the information hotline for the San Francisco Jacks, where you too may see the thing itself

SuPu

woo hoo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Good line, good spring snow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8390.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	309634
    Bad bad skins

Name:	IMG_8404.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	309635
    G3 glue........ not a fan

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Good line, good spring snow

Name:	IMG_8390.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	309634
    Bad bad skins

Name:	IMG_8404.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	309635

Wow that’s terrible. How old are the skins?

I have had issues with G3 skins for the past couple of years. My wife's went all sticky like this in less than 1 year and a re-glue with G3 iron-on lasted less than that. Two tubes of gold label arrived a couple days ago. That said, I have another pair that took 6 years to go south like this and they're getting fresh Gold Label, too. YMMV

I've found that G3 skins are great but the glue doesn't age well if you don't store them properly in the off season or maybe even for too long of a stretch during the winter. I left one pair of mine over the summer rolled straight up (which I often do during transitions in the spring time) instead of folded glue on glue and it basically killed them, whereas my others that were stored glue on glue (or better yet, on skin savers) were perfectly fine. Lesson learned.

Crusty AF at KW.
    Just enough dust over in rabbitruns for a bit of slash and turn
    But hardly worth getting off the groomers for.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Hello, and thank you for calling the information hotline for the San Francisco Jacks, where you too may see the thing itself
    TITS or GTFO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    I was wondering what happened to the legendary SuPu - I guess he's living by the mantra: "I’m not just the president of SF Jacks, I’m also a client!” Congrats!

http://www.sfjacks.com/pages/main.html
    sproing!

skins were stored glue on glue. not sure how old as i got skins in a package deal when i bought skis last year and were fine till they sat around all summer. and of course, now all the local shops are out of bd gold medal glue and apparently are on backorder as bd are out of it as well........ sigh

Hey Gimpy, after a tour with Sue last week, I took a look at her skis and was appalled by the glue left on them, something pretty wrong with the glue g3 uses, never had that problem with BD skins.

Echo ice is in, I crossed upper a week 1/2 ago, lower is good to go now

Name:	DSC03750_crop.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	309804

I found the Gold Label at Skimo dot com - BD was out.

I've got a full tube I can give you as reparations.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I never had great luck with BD gold label but I have had pretty good luck with reconditioning the skins with the "parchment paper" method. So you lay out skins nice and flat and take parchment paper and lay over the old glue. Smooth it out by rubbing it on. Then take a hot iron and iron the paper, a few passes enough where there is glue coming up thru the paper a little. iron flat any lumps. Now take the skins with paper attached and put in the freezer overnite. then remove paper and try them. A good chance to get another season out of them.
    Last edited by Quadzilla; 01-09-2020 at 12:55 PM.

use brown paper bags instead, may need multiple strips to soak up and strip old glue/dirt, skip the freezer, and reapply a nice new coat when cool.

Stay with the same brand of glue, if not possible, clean a bit more thoroughly

Do not use your wife's good iron.

Or just buy quality skins, pay a little more for Pomoca and call it a day
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I never had great luck with BD gold label but I have had pretty good luck with reconditioning the skins with the "parchment paper" method. So you lay out skins nice and flat and take parchment paper and lay over the old glue. Smooth it out by rubbing it on. Then take a hot iron and iron the paper, a few passes enough where there is glue coming up thru the paper a little. iron flat any lumps. Now take the skins with paper attached and put in the freezer overnite. then remove paper and try them. A good chance to get another season out of them.
    Parchment paper - as in the stuff sold for baking?

I have some old skins I want to try this on.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

thanx court if i cant find some online ill hit u up. they are just for my spring setup anyway so hoping it stays put for a bit.
    i took a heat gun and a metal scraper and removed every bit of the g3 glue and now have some naked g3 skins waiting for new gold medal glue. was much faster and cleaner then the parchment/paper bag removal process.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Forgot how fun just a couple inches of fluff can be on top of a nicely groomed run, almost a backcountry corn feeling, anyway westbowl at Sierra-at-Tahoe was pretty dam fun, low angle trees were starting to be funish by the time I left.

Crowds sucked though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GS race for my son on Saturday at Northstar...even with winds I assume should be a 'go.'

Otherwise find my camo pants on KT or Headwall on Sunday. Free hugs and we can facetime SuPu.

thanx court if i cant find some online ill hit u up. they are just for my spring setup anyway so hoping it stays put for a bit.
    i took a heat gun and a metal scraper and removed every bit of the g3 glue and now have some naked g3 skins waiting for new gold medal glue. was much faster and cleaner then the parchment/paper bag removal process.
    Lemme know.
    You folks are discussing different things
    The parchment paper thing isn't for removal, it's to make the old glue work again. But I don't know which glue it works for and it's probably not all the brands. It also is probably important which side down you place the paper. The paper bag method is for removal. That's my understanding anyway.

edit- and today was way way way way way WAY better than expected
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    GS race for my son on Saturday at Northstar...even with winds I assume should be a 'go.'

Otherwise find my camo pants on KT or Headwall on Sunday. Free hugs and we can facetime SuPu.
    Is your son in U12? I'll be there with my kid (U10) on Sunday basking in the glory of youth ski racing, the worst of all spectator sports.

That feeling when your SO's season ends as yours is just beginning... last weekend when kirkwood was an ice ball

Name:	tfw.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	866.0 KB 
ID:	309967

Ski fast and safe everyone