Page 19 of 165 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    It's that time of year
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    There's some real weather gambling when the snow is scarce and resorts have to make enough to ski because as large commercial customers there's an electrical cost calculation in how much snow you need to make and the probability of a storm resolving all of it.
    This is from 20 years ago but, as I recall, the resorts are billed on their electricity based on their peak load, the highest number they hit annually, because the utility uses that number to set next years rates for the whole year. This is because the utility guarantees that much power will be available next year and, if they exceed it cause they need it, they pay through the nose for anything beyond that number. I've actually heard utility guys beaming with joy at how much money those snow guns generate.
    Seems like they need solar powered snow guns. Obviously if they have to make snow the sun is shining.

Mt Rose announced that they're opening Kit Carson tomorrow - Northwest chair to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    In other news word on the slopes is that Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe is now chargingm$90 for a ticket. This is for the same beginner terrain that they have been charging $20 for.
    I am no economist, but that's like a 450% price hike without any significantly new terrain added...
    It's the Northwest opening that caused that price bump. If they were charging that price today, it meant that they were likely planning a soft opening today. Don't know if that happened.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    There's some real weather gambling when the snow is scarce and resorts have to make enough to ski because as large commercial customers there's an electrical cost calculation in how much snow you need to make and the probability of a storm resolving all of it.
    This is from 20 years ago but, as I recall, the resorts are billed on their electricity based on their peak load, the highest number they hit annually, because the utility uses that number to set next years rates for the whole year. This is because the utility guarantees that much power will be available next year and, if they exceed it cause they need it, they pay through the nose for anything beyond that number. I've actually heard utility guys beaming with joy at how much money those snow guns generate.
    I thought most of those air compressors ran on diesel? And that the air compressors are only brought in for a few months of the year.

This storm looks like a total dud. Too warm and limited moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I thought most of those air compressors ran on diesel? And that the air compressors are only brought in for a few months of the year.

This storm looks like a total dud. Too warm and limited moisture.
    Pumps and/or compressors are normally electric. They sometimes have a diesel generator to provide electricity, ie kirkwood when there was no grid power, or AZ snowbowl who rent an huge generator for peak snowmaking season to be able to power both lifts and snowmaking at the same time when they don’t get enough from the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Models are in agreement...maybe another storm over the weekend?????

Let's get this started!

Who will be the first person to post that POW this year?

(we all know you're hitting rocks and making one glorious slutty turn )
    Hello darkness my old friend

Yeah, remember: nobody wants to hear how you skied on rocks, grass and twigs ....... even if there was 3" of cold smoke on top of them.

Moar serious: seems like the wind with super light and no base will complicate things.

Squaw was advertising "Fresh Hard Pack Turns" on Saturday, hadn't heard that term before haha.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Yeah, remember: nobody wants to hear how you skied on rocks, grass and twigs ....... even if there was 3" of cold smoke on top of them.

Moar serious: seems like the wind with super light and no base will complicate things.
    seems like we'll be ok at least as far as east winds with the second warmer storm following up

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    SF to Tahoe on a Friday night is a 5+ hour trek, and returning home Sunday is the same. Or they can go to SFO and fly to anywhere in northwestern NA and be at another resort in that timeframe. The epic pass and a hudge population base plays a role here.
    You're not wrong on the first point.

Not sure about the second. Where are you flying to? It's not like Mt Baker International Airport has a tram straight to the base.

2 hours to get to SFO and park and get on the plane and push back.
    2 hour flight.
    You're already at 4 by the time you touch down. Add another hour (if you're REALLY lucky) to collect your bags and rental car. So you've blown your 5 hours.

Where are you driving your rental car? YVR->Whistler? SEA->Baker/Summit/Crystal? Tack on another 1-2h.

I guess Redmond isn't all that far from Bachelor, if you can find a nonstop evening flight (yeah right, probably going through PDX).

Maybe Sun Valley's better? I dunno.

If you live on the BART line, you could be in Park City within 5 hours. I have friends in the city that could do that. It is significantly more expensive to fly a family of four to SLT than drive them to Tahoe, but could be a lot less hassle for experienced flyers, who rent high end demos that are in their hotel room when they arrive. I can see the appeal for some. I met a wealthy family from Atherton on a lift at Telluride a decade ago. They only ski at T-ride, so some do it.

I think the Epic really appeals to Chicago and other city dwellers along the eastern seaboard. Have a few mountains regionally, but really you want to get on a plane to ski. Now you can choose from 10 or more resorts, and chase the good season.

We have a KW Only pass still, as we have friends in the valley and an inexpensive place to stay. And the mountain rocks. We don't have a Tahoe Pass as we don't want to encourage Vail more, and ultimately don't support their short season style. I did pay for a discounted Heave ticket last season to show my KW friends around, as I was basically living on their couch that week. They had never been there before.

We picked up IKON skiing last spring, and have it for this year. We are planning to get down to Mammoth a bit this winter, as our schedule allows, and hit up Alpine mid winter. Maybe even Squaw. Or at least hit Squaw in late winter/early spring, before the lifts begin shutting down. If we had the time and money (and my son had a little more endurance for a 5 day ski vacation), we'd for sure book a week at some other IKON resort, just to play somewhere else for a change.

Kind of looking forward to hitting my usual spring resorts with more wintery conditions.

Op runs of the GFS make the Tahoe FOMO hit real hard right now...

^Except we're supposed to have closer to 20:1 for the first portion. The second half sounds scary on top of the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I scheduled some snowblower maintenance for the last two weeks of this month. I live close to 7,600'. If that's not an invitation to Ullr, I don't know what is. You're maybe welcome.
    Status report?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ^Except we're supposed to have closer to 20:1 for the first portion. The second half sounds scary on top of the first half.
    This is my thought. Gonna still be a bit sharky for a while.

Wow.
    It has begun and the visitors ain't even here yet.
    It took me 2 hours to get home from work, which is only 12 miles from my house.
    This was at 2:30 pm today in the Truckee area:
    267 was backed up to Old Brockway (the airport).
    Old Brockway was backed up to the roundabout (50/50 Brewery).
    Donner Pass Road was gridlocked from downtown to the Shell/Donner Lake overpass.
    80 was backed up with lottsa semis on the side putting on chains (it was backed up at least to the 267 exit).
    I passed several semis downtown that were parked in the middle of the road and putting on chains.
    Cars were piled up or off the road on Bullhorn (the "secret" front way to get up to Tahoe Donner).
    There were 6 cars crashed on Schussing (the "back" way into Tahoe Donner); 2 cars had crashed into one another head on, the other 4 had slid off the road and were either in ditches or smashed into trees.
    And these are all, presumably, locals, who "should" know how to drive in snow (of which there was only about an inch to 2 inches on the ground.
    I'm giving a solid endorsement to Blizzaks, for what it's worth...
    Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday are gonna be interesting for sure...
    Last edited by dookey67; 11-26-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

but the visitors most certainly are here. hotel occupancy started rising Sunday and there has been 4 days of every weather outlet on the west saying to get here by mid afternoon today.

Aha...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191126-181917_NVRoads.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	303858

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

It's looking legit.
    We have snow settling on the ground down here in CC. Not sticking on roads yet tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Report I got from the shovel crew was "heavy", sounds good from a base building perspective. 4-6" by midnight here at Truckee Creek.

Do what’s the mornin tally people??? I’m outta town

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Galena Forest report from 5900' on Mt Rose highway is about 6-7", looking outside. Heading out to clear snow shortly. Not much more depth than what had built up by around 10 last night, but it may have just compressed itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Looking at the snotels at 7am on the south side, echo is showing 16 inches, rumors on the street say S@T is opening Saturday.

Carson pass is showing 10” and Heavenly 12”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk