Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 387
  1. #351
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In rain shadow of the Sierra CC,NV
    Posts
    3,104
    Mammy opens tomorrow. Wrod under Broadway chair. Looks a fair bit steeper than Rose's offering...
    SV/AM scheduled for 11/15 opening
    NS scheduled for 11/22. Seems kinda late for them. The one thing they do well, imho, is early season wrod

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

    ...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

  2. #352
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    5,799
    Had a glorious $15 Spring day--erm, sorry, Fall day at Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe this morning with G2A and Flexon Phil and J2B.

    We were figuratively able to ski right onto the lift as the lines were virtually non-existent. The park was suprisingly empty all morning, too (G2A surmised that everybody was paying to hike the park at Boreal...).

    Conditions were brisk and crisp at 9am, getting a wee bit warmer as the morning eeked by. Snow was firm in the shade, yet edgeable, and got a teensy bit softer in the sun.

    Banged out a Double-Tufnel +1, so price per run = just-a-hair-over-65¢

    In regards to Mammoth, I talked to a reliable local the other evening who told me "It's not worth the drive time and gas money" to head down this weekend from Tahoe. They said it is basically gonna be Broadway adorned with park features and augmented by temps in the upper 60s that have been turning the snow into spring-like mank throughout the day.

    For those willing to hike for turns, Basin Peak Ski & Ride Recreation Area is holding nicely. Hit it up on Wednesday of this week and the snow was firm, yet edgeable. No lift lines. No tickets. No crowds. Gate is still open, so you can drive up to the bottom of Castle Pass and shave off an hour of approach time.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valley of the heart's delight
    Posts
    628
    Anybody have experience with the free lift tickets from the bay area ski festivals? https://www.sfskifest.com/ski-board-...-lift-tickets/. Homewood / Bear Valley/ China Peak to save you a click (and midweek only).

    Getting back into skiing after many years in the gimp forum. Likely won't ski enough to justify a pass. Wondering these tickets are tied to an individual or I can hoard a bunch. Anyone know?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,293
    Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Mammy opens tomorrow. Wrod under Broadway chair. Looks a fair bit steeper than Rose's offering...
    SV/AM scheduled for 11/15 opening
    NS scheduled for 11/22. Seems kinda late for them. The one thing they do well, imho, is early season wrod

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I don't think it's so much that they do it before others, just they usually have a better offering when they do open
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  5. #355
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    680
    Predictions: SquAlpine opening 11/15 Hoping for both High Traverse and Silverado this weekend! Thoughts?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    ...couldn't let the Tahoe thread fall off page 1. I hate it when that happens.

  6. #356
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Predictions: SquAlpine opening 11/15 Hoping for both High Traverse and Silverado this weekend! Thoughts?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    ...couldn't let the Tahoe thread fall off page 1. I hate it when that happens.
    Lol. But for real, I remember when Alpine would have Summit open on Thanksgiving with off piste being an option. Of course, Alpine passes were $1k back then and they didn’t work at Squaw. The good old days...

  7. #357
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,103
    Tahoe stoke.


  8. #358
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Lol. But for real, I remember when Alpine would have Summit open on Thanksgiving with off piste being an option. Of course, Alpine passes were $1k back then and they didn’t work at Squaw. The good old days...
    Do a snow dance and maybe that could happen!

  9. #359
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Do a snow dance and maybe that could happen!
    That is the great thing about Tahoe. One big cold storm can change everything. Time for my snow dance.

  10. #360
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,956
    I've been skiing North Tahoe for 40+ years and at least going back that far decent skiing at Thanksgiving--meaning something other than man made WROD --has always been uncommon. Even decent skiing at Xmas has never been reliable. It does depend somewhat on your tolerance for rocks--mine has always been low. One does tend to remember the years when it was good at Thanksgiving and forget all the years when it wasn't. Isn't that always the case--you remember the great days and forget the rest (other than injuries I suppose). If it's the other way around--you remember only the bad days, you should take up another sport or start taking antidepressants.

  11. #361
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    807

    The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

    November snowfalls stolen from BA. I will let you decide what “qualifies” as a good November. For me it is over 20 inches which at least opens up the groomers on most of the mountains and some bony off piste.


    https://files.opensnow.com/Tahoe/201...ber/111105.jpg

  12. #362
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,293
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tahoe stoke.

    Thanks I saw that on her IG last night but then got lost looking at Rampage stuff when I went to look. Awesome story.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  13. #363
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    11
    Also note from BA that the mean snowfall in november is much higher than the median snowfall, it seems that most years get 10ish inches of snow, and then one in 5 years, we get 40+ inches.

  14. #364
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,596
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've been skiing North Tahoe for 40+ years and at least going back that far decent skiing at Thanksgiving--meaning something other than man made WROD --has always been uncommon. Even decent skiing at Xmas has never been reliable. It does depend somewhat on your tolerance for rocks--mine has always been low. One does tend to remember the years when it was good at Thanksgiving and forget all the years when it wasn't. Isn't that always the case--you remember the great days and forget the rest (other than injuries I suppose). If it's the other way around--you remember only the bad days, you should take up another sport or start taking antidepressants.
    Very true

    Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

  15. #365
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by soyboy80 View Post
    Also note from BA that the mean snowfall in november is much higher than the median snowfall, it seems that most years get 10ish inches of snow, and then one in 5 years, we get 40+ inches.
    That’s not what I see. It looks like over half the years get over 20” of snow in November. 20” is under 2 feet and considering seasons in Tahoe can go over 500” a year does not seem that much.

  16. #366
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reno, eNVy
    Posts
    392
    NOAA forecast looks encouraging (if you love Mtn Biking or Climbing)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 8.00.36 AM.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	302162

    In my experience, we usually get a couple scratchy BC days in November -but its unusual for things to get good until mid December or Christmas. However, having basically no precip. for both October and November would be pretty unusual. And it might be devastating for wildfires.

  17. #367
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,564
    Fuckin drought year already. I put everything I had into these as a backup.


  18. #368
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tahoe stoke.

    Got to meet Michelle this spring, she is such a ripping skier, watched her destroy Hall of the Gods in style

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02834_crop.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	302165

  19. #369
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,103
    I've seen her skiing around Squaw and she just has such fluid, graceful turns that you don't realize how fast she's going.

    I'm not going to be upset about the weather until it's December 15th. We'll get something by then. I mean, I may hop on a flight to Colorado in the meantime, though.

  20. #370
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,956
    Quote Originally Posted by soyboy80 View Post
    Also note from BA that the mean snowfall in november is much higher than the median snowfall, it seems that most years get 10ish inches of snow, and then one in 5 years, we get 40+ inches.
    The other thing about November is how long it lasts when it does snow. Ground may or may not be frozen, no base, still can get pretty warm (really warm this year of course).
    I drove by SB the other day--2 little isolated patches of man made on Jerome. I guess they started making snow when it was colder and had to give up.

  21. #371
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    P-tex, CA
    Posts
    8,201
    Splat - that powder device says 4+, you're not old enough to use it...

  22. #372
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The other thing about November is how long it lasts when it does snow. Ground may or may not be frozen, no base, still can get pretty warm (really warm this year of course).
    I drove by SB the other day--2 little isolated patches of man made on Jerome. I guess they started making snow when it was colder and had to give up.
    This. 10 inches can be gone in 48 hours. A total of 20" over a month may mean only (barely) skiable conditions for 3 days, or to put it more bluntly - 4-6 hours, out of the entire month.

  23. #373
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    807
    I don’t really buy this idea that snow melts fast in November. Short days and low sun angles help preserve the snow even with climate change increasing the temps (at least on north facing slopes). I do believe that with climate change the snow levels are rising even in December and there is less snow in lower elevations.

  24. #374
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tahoe stoke.

    Thanks, J! I've been waiting for this video to drop for months - I was out there the day they were filming in that first zone in the video. It was one of the greatest days I've had - bluebird, freshies, stable but not turning to cream cheese. Quintessential tahoe. Somehow the redbull crew's videos ended up better than our gopro from that day...

    Got to share the skinner w Michelle for a few laps and it's awesome to meet someone who shreds and is genuinely stoked to ski that zone. crew were super nice dudes too - great memories

  25. #375
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I don’t really buy this idea that snow melts fast in November. Short days and low sun angles help preserve the snow even with climate change increasing the temps (at least on north facing slopes). I do believe that with climate change the snow levels are rising even in December and there is less snow in lower elevations.

    Well ..... compared to August, yes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •