Page 159 of 165 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 4118
    that’s not how weather forecasting works though
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I kind of like it not being an exact science. You have to embrace the "you don't know until you go" mentality. Some of my best days ever were surprises where we were supposed to get snow flurries with no accumulation and it ends up being several inches of blower... and no one is around because of the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I kind of like it not being an exact science. You have to embrace the "you don't know until you go" mentality. Some of my best days ever were surprises where we were supposed to get snow flurries with no accumulation and it ends up being several inches of blower... and no one is around because of the forecast.
    If you want to get the best days you have to be willing to show up for some stinkers.

Meanwhile--Squaw Valley firing up the snow guns. (Even though it's still summer out there.)
    https://www.sacbee.com/entertainment...246512370.html

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I much preferred the days before BA. IMHO he has fucked ip a good thing. You used to actually have to know how to forecast a little bit yourself to hit the best days and often they were sleepers. Now almost every single powder day and even the almost powder days are packed to the gills with tech folks on soul7s. Fuck all the internet forecasting. That goes for a surfline as well. Won’t give any of those sites a cent of my money as they only made the crowding worse.

One of my favorite days with my wife was an April weekend. Forecast was calling for 8”, but kept dropping each day of the week until Friday morning was calling for maybe an inch overnight and cold temps. Being spring. I one showed up for the 14” that fell with no wind over night. We were still getting fresh tracks off of 10 at 1pm. There must have been 50 people on the hill. Although, I’ll accept that BA might have made the same call. But this was well before his style of forecasting showed up on the Internet.

I hit a sleeper powder day at Alpine--about a foot of fresh light. I hiked out High T, looked around, and realized there was one set of patrol tracks and not a single living soul in sight. A little spooky almost. And decisions, decisions. Where do you go when you have an entire untracked cirque to ski?

I trust the NWS and won't use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I trust the NWS and won't use anything else.
    ditto. and BA works for Squaw.

NWS works for you

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    NWS works for you
    As long as no one with a sharpie messes with the snow forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I like it. I have always appreciated limbs and those who go out on them. It's nice to have BA (but inside a week, he's not much different from NWS). What would really impress me is somebuddy who would lay their money down two weeks out and then we see what happens, instead of a noncommittal forecast that keeps getting updated as we get closer. If you can make your final prediction the day of, you're usually pretty accurate.

Not sure it's really going out on a limb, but (in)AccuWeather forecasts 90 days ahead, on a calendar, so you can look right now and see what the weather will be like on Xmas or New Years.
    And yes, I know it's almost completely worthless, but from an entertainment standpoint, I enjoy looking every now & then.
    Next month looks like $$!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The weather has shifted for sure. Much cooler and foggier on the coast compared to the last two months.

With my arm in a sling until Thanksgiving, I’m good with a hot, dry fall.

I’ve been skiing the Sierra for about 20 years now. During periods while I’m in I hired reserve we tend to get very little snow. Once I recover, it tends to dump. The drought years were from when my son was a new born to until age 5, when he became more fun to ski with. Right before he was born I was consulting, had flexibility and was the best season I can remember. What can I say, I’ve got some decent karma. So based on these facts, slow start to the season, but should be decent by mid January. So there you have it folks. You are welcome. Keep those bike chains clean for the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The weather has shifted for sure. Much cooler and foggier on the coast compared to the last two months.
    That's summer weather on the CA coast. Bad sign. Instead of winter on the way, summer is returning.

Mammoth seems to have the wackiest (or typical) autumn weather at the moment. Inversion with very heavy smoke yesterday, dispersal winds today, snow by Saturday night/sunday.

$$??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A71484F-667C-40B4-B939-2ABB7214A398.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	344246
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Not sure it's really going out on a limb, but (in)AccuWeather forecasts 90 days ahead, on a calendar, so you can look right now and see what the weather will be like on Xmas or New Years.
    And yes, I know it's almost completely worthless, but from an entertainment standpoint, I enjoy looking every now & then.
    Next month looks like $$!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I like it. I have always appreciated limbs and those who go out on them. It's nice to have BA (but inside a week, he's not much different from NWS). What would really impress me is somebuddy
    BA is a lot of fun to read, he did throw out an above-average snowfall prediction a few weeks ago. He didn’t necessarily put a whole lot of stake in it, but it’s fun just reading what he’s thinking. And for what it’s worth, it seems like his pre-season predictions are actually pretty spot on.

Meanwhile, the weather app on my iPhone is currently showing a low of 3 on Sunday in South Lake, 12 in Carson. And I’m still waiting on heat to be fixed in my place. Oh it’ll be a good weekend

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's summer weather on the CA coast. Bad sign. Instead of winter on the way, summer is returning.
    Not really any more. Climate change and shit. It has been hot since August. Maybe July had some foggy weather, but a lot less than normal. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers had a bomber year. My Brussels sprouts otoh are dudes. Too much sun and heat.

This fog is semi summer like but not getting the strong NW afternoon flow. More of a NE cooling air. Not a hot Santa Ana style either.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    BA is a lot of fun to read, he did throw out an above-average snowfall prediction a few weeks ago. He didn’t necessarily put a whole lot of stake in it, but it’s fun just reading what he’s thinking. And for what it’s worth, it seems like his pre-season predictions are actually pretty spot on.

Meanwhile, the weather app on my iPhone is currently showing a low of 3 on Sunday in South Lake, 12 in Carson. And I’m still waiting on heat to be fixed in my place. Oh it’ll be a good weekend

Don’t worry. It will warm right back up after that heat gets fixed.

Forecast above looks spot on based on my shouldermeter.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post

There's a bold bet!

I'm shorting BA and the west coast this winter. Maybe he's seeing some major pattern change but I've seen the fall pattern pretty much become the Dec-Feb pattern for a couple years now. And my cat is shedding like crazy. That means it's gonna be a dry one.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 10-21-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Didn’t I already explain it is going to turn on after MLK? Like my broken ankle year, March is going to be bomber.

Do I need chains to go over the pass?

I like reading BA but I also read the NWS forecast discussion to put me to sleep. Waiting on ski ream plan of attack at Squaw for the kiddos and then relay to our schools to see if its even ok. Its a shitshow with kids and schools obviously...SF Public Health only allows the kids to go to school and play ONE additional (outdoor) sport. Which is fine until spring soccer/little league season so hopefully it gets less restrictive as long as protocols are still in place. Waiting for parents to spontaneously combust at any moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Powcruzer View Post
    $$??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A71484F-667C-40B4-B939-2ABB7214A398.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	600.9 KB 
ID:	344246
    No one is throwing Sheckter undern the bus, guy seems to hit it right most years.

I'm *hoping* for some snow-gun action this weekend. A wrod by Halloween would lighten the mood a bit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201021-114332_Google.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	344304

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I saw on a local newspaper that Squaw / Alpine started the snow-making guns a week ago. Sunday is very cold, it's likely they will use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    I saw on a local newspaper that Squaw / Alpine started the snow-making guns a week ago. Sunday is very cold, it's likely they will use them.
    No. Just fired em up for test. Big news apparently

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

just got back from schweitzer where i skied 1.5" on grass and rocks. my original plan was to head toward washington pass which had a bunch of snow but then the forecast changed to rain at 11k. I checked around and an on the ball forecaster from the spokane office noticed dew points dropping in the onkanagon valley and thought there was a good chance of snow instead of rain at bonners ferry which is near (and lower than) schweitzer.
    Contrast that with this afternoon's forecast out of the reno office. There is no discussion of, nor even mention of the word precipitation or any of it's brethren in the entirety of the forecast. And whoever it is doesn't sign it anymore. weak. X

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	344336

Sometimes it feels like
    Somebody’s watching me (elk on the ridge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4960.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	344337
    Last edited by powdork; 10-21-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.