Page 146 of 165 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 4118
    Speaking of ash, sounds like most of the basin + truckee fire departments have spent their entire labor day weekend driving around responding to reports of illegal campfires/bonfires and open flame charcoal grills. At times it's been literally one after another.

Makes me wonder why they're sending the polite folks in the big red truck to police ordinance violations instead of the county sherriff with a citation booklet to actually get the message across.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2122.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	339185Views from Hoover wilderness Saturday morning, then Sunday after the Creek fire blew up. Not the same location but you get the idea. It was pretty spooky being out there. Dusk by 3:30 Saturday, and Sunday 11 AM sun felt like 7 AM. Didn’t realize how badly the smoke had gotten into my clothes (and hair) until I got back to the apartment. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2125.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	339183

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Speaking of ash, sounds like most of the basin + truckee fire departments have spent their entire labor day weekend driving around responding to reports of illegal campfires/bonfires and open flame charcoal grills. At times it's been literally one after another.

Makes me wonder why they're sending the polite folks in the big red truck to police ordinance violations instead of the county sherriff with a citation booklet to actually get the message across.
    Hopefully what they do is show up and hose everybuddy down. That should get the point across.

They can do the same for stupid gender reveal parties.

I spent yesterday telling the lost people who were trying to go through my dead end street to get around the slow traffic on north lake blvd that they need to slow the F down and stay off my street (and lawn, for that matter). People who don't live here (and plenty who do) are idiots. We need to be very direct with people. Angora was a warning, and it feels like we are still just barely dodging the bullet each summer.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 09-07-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Here’s a few pics from one of the many fires smoking out Tahoe & Reno. Slink Fire earlier this week.
    I Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0D155903-3A66-4DF9-95D0-D279A02EFB36.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	339199
    It didn’t look like much as we drove by Topaz.

Name:	B5993309-D04E-437C-9526-2073923D27FD.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	339200
    Then it all turned to shit. Tree’s torching off.

Name:	D8E8ECFB-2104-40B0-8F39-303C05C78B79.jpg 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	339201
    Extreme fire behavior all night. Fires aren’t slowing down after dark this summer..

Name:	C2C490D5-45FF-435A-B260-F1C4FCB17603.jpg 
Size:	397.3 KB 
ID:	339202
    Couldn’t do much without air support and a lot more resources.

Name:	67088C48-4C9B-49BB-8E32-86A22893EB19.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	570.3 KB 
ID:	339203
    Filling up one last time,

Name:	71714C60-4533-4403-A0B3-034BF8E27CD9.jpg 
Size:	644.1 KB 
ID:	339204
    then got chased out by a wall of fire.

Name:	FEB0109C-DDD0-4520-A27F-C96D3892EE8B.jpg 
Size:	332.7 KB 
ID:	339205
    View from Walker Burger the next evening.

Currently in NorCal where a big wind event is predicted for the next 48 hrs. Red flag warnings have been posted for most of the Northern half of the state. Things could get a lot worse. Pray for snow!

Name:	385B7A7B-99D5-43CF-A5EE-951D61261FF6.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	339214
    Get ready.

^^^^^ Gender reveal ?

at least in colorado its followed up by a decent snowstorm
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	385B7A7B-99D5-43CF-A5EE-951D61261FF6.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	339214
    Get ready.
    Those are what--NWS office forecast areas?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Those are what--NWS office forecast areas?
    I believe those are Red Flag warnings for wildfire conditions. Big Diablo/Santa Ana event coming our way.

PSA - USFS CLOSED all of the following forests to recreation given the fire danger and no available firefighting resources.

VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020—Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.

Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
    Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
    Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
    FKNA... details - https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/ne...d=FSEPRD799162

ESS, thanks for your work!

fack...here's some stoke from today, fellow mag...

Name:	IMG_20200907_094847~2.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	339223

Name:	IMG_20200907_094922.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	339224

Name:	IMG_20200907_115048.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	339225

Name:	00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200907080216381_COVER.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	339226
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I believe those are Red Flag warnings for wildfire conditions. Big Diablo/Santa Ana event coming our way.
    I was talking about the lines that don't correspond to any state or county boundaries. I was thinking they are the boundaries of the forecast areas--we get our forecast out of the Reno office.

Are we just gonna ignore that bear standing in the tree in meter mans photo? That’s a pretty sweet photo

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Currently in NorCal where a big wind event is predicted for the next 48 hrs. Red flag warnings have been posted for most of the Northern half of the state. Things could get a lot worse. Pray for snow!
    I don’t know you, but for your sake I’m glad you’re not getting sent down to the Creek Fire. That fire sounds angry as hell right now. Although NorCal sounds like it could just as well blow up tonight... Hopefully this cold front brings some precip, but I know that’s doubtful

Quote Originally Posted by HJ5 View Post
    Are we just gonna ignore that bear standing in the tree in meter mans photo? That’s a pretty sweet photo

Yeah I was gonna comment on that. Great pic

VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020—Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.

Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
    Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
    Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
    3) Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California. This includes the Eldorado National Forest. **THIS INCLUDES THE ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST.
    When I first read this I also missed this one very important part (above) that includes all campgrounds and day uses areas in california. So that means thousands of campers at Fallen Leaf lake and Nv Beach here on the south shore evicted. Also sugar pine point. Not sure about camp rich since thats an FS lease. Important to note, I have heard NV beach is also closing, and that is in Nevada (duh)

Also how does it affect areas like Blue Lakes which are run by the water companies but operate on FS land?

and that bear pic is RAD
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

A reminder that all open flames, including from propane devices are banned during red flag warnings.

Chain saw working today a couple of doors down. Hope they stay home tomorrow.

I'm pretty stoked right now that I already renewed my Sugar Bowl pass. I love their approach to the upcoming season...

------

Sugar Bowl has decided to pause sales of all 2020/21 season passes in order to provide the safest possible ski and snowboard experience for guests and staff this winter.

As we all work together to slow the spread of COVID-19, we recognize the importance of physical distancing and avoiding crowded environments. Although an uncrowded experience has been part of the Sugar Bowl brand ethos for decades, in this pandemic climate we must be especially careful not to overwhelm the resort by selling too many season passes and lift tickets.

We had already decided to limit daily lift ticket sales this winter and to require advance, online purchases so we know who is coming and when.

For season passes, the situation is more complex. There are essentially two options: 1) limit the number of passes sold, and/or 2) require daily passholder reservations with a limit on how many passholders can visit the resort each day.

Recently, neighboring resorts announced their plan to implement the passholder reservation option. In contrast, at Sugar Bowl – a smaller, independent and nimble company – we believe a limit on pass sales is a better approach for our customers, while still allowing us to stay within our safe, comfortable capacity every day and to maintain adequate social distancing between guests and staff at our pinch points near lifts and lodges. That said, even with a cap in sales, we cannot entirely rule out the possibility of also implementing a passholder reservation system. Pausing sales now, however, gives us the potential opportunity to avoid that scenario for you.

We are working with Placer County officials to gain approval on our winter operating plan, which will undoubtedly include daily capacity limitations. These daily limits will affect how and when you might use the Friends and Family tickets that come with your season pass. It will be necessary to purchase these tickets in advance and they will be subject to the same daily capacity limits as traditional lift tickets. We’re still working through the details of a reservation system for these single day tickets and will pass along more information as once the procedure is finalized.

We recognize that this news may be disappointing to those who intended to purchase a pass but have not yet had the means to do so. We did not make this decision lightly and the financial consequences to our business are significant. However, we cannot lose sight of our guiding philosophy, which is to provide memorable outdoor experiences while embracing our shared responsibility to slow the spread of COVID-19. There is a chance that, after further analysis and discussions with county officials, we may allow pass sales to resume later this fall or winter. But we will only do so if we’re confident that we can still protect the health and safety of our guests, staff and communities.

Our pause in pass sales does nothing to slow our preparations for the upcoming ski and snowboard season. September is here. The days are shortening, the nights are cooling and soon the mountains will receive their first blanket of snow. We look forward to that day.

They hinted they might cut off pass sales after a certain date--I can't remember the wording or where I saw it, but I decided to go ahead and buy before it was too late. Certainly a more honest approach than selling as many passes as you can and then not letting people ski. OTOH, the Vail approach does let more people ski at least some.

Mt. Rose followed suit today.

Name:	18CEAFCC-822D-46F3-BABA-86FED070409B.jpg 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	339357
    Looking due West from the fire I’m on.

The wind has died down considerably although certainly not calm.

A new fire's blazing up out by Loon Lake. If there's a bright side, a lot of that area burned in 2014's King Fire, and there's a lot of granite between there and Tahoe, but still disconcerting...

Also hearing reports of yet another fire north/west of Truckee...

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Mt. Rose followed suit today.

Where did you see that?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Where did you see that?

LIMITED QUANTITIES ON ALL SEASON PASSES

To maintain a safe environment for both our guests and staff, Mt. Rose will govern daily mountain capacities this season by limiting the sales of each pass type. In addition, daily lift ticket sales will be capped.

Thinking about upgrading?

We advise doing so immediately. Once certain season pass types sell out, upgrades to those passes will no longer be available.

Simply scan the QR code on your Season Pass
    Can’t use the code? Click renew button, enter the card ID (under QR code) and be sure to enter the number exactly as it appears on your pass. Number is case sensitive, please include the hyphens.

Pass Perk: $50 Tyke Passes now available online
    Ages 5 & under, available for current season passholders only

We want to instill full confidence in your pass purchase with Rose Pass SafeGuard. When you buy a season pass, you’ll have until Dec. 15, 2020 to get a full refund. Full Details

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Also hearing reports of yet another fire north/west of Truckee...
    Any more info? I'm seeing the North Complex near Quincy, nothing else in that direction on the maps yet? There was a nixle message today saying that the smoke in Truckee was from the North Complex but that fire is a couple of weeks old, still active. Looks like at one point it was very close to Quincy.