Page 133 of 165 FirstFirst ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 4118
    Rode the bike park at Northstar yesterday. They did COVID/distancing pretty well. It gave me hope for ski season so thought I should share.

The lines may be big, and there may not be any indoor seating, but I am hopeful that the lifts will spin this winter.

We also did a bike race up at Mt. Shasta Ski Park this summer, and they were able to run that event with similar fixes - roped-off/closed base area, masks in all common areas and lifelines but not when riding, and other physical distancing measures.

Shasta also made me appreciate Northstar lol. If you ever though Northstar was soft and loose, go try Shasta! Ha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200719_133550.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	336799

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200719_092145.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	336800

bonus stoke
    Name:  VID_20200718_143853_LS_exported_669_1595113618027.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  262.2 KB

Damn powdork heal up - that is messed up!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

If someone at Northstar was a single, would they load two of them on opposite sides of a chair or how did that work?

At Telluride, if you're single riding the gondola or chairlift, you ride alone.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Shasta also made me appreciate Northstar lol. If you ever though Northstar was soft and loose, go try Shasta! Ha.
    Shasta dust is next-level. The only other place I've been that comes close is Pomerelle, ID.

Email from Sugar Bowl. Nothing earth shaking. RFID gates are an improvement Covid or no Covid--SB pass scanners are annoying. That and automatic ticket machines probably more about cutting down labor costs long term, especially since labor getting harder and harder to find.

RFID scanners are great because then instead of trying to get everyone’s pass swiped they can focus on filling chairs efficiently... although we may not be filling chairs any more! ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The sign said ride only with people you live with, but it was not enforced. Chairs were single if you wanted. Some folks rode solo, others joined up others but gave each other space (say, 3 on a 6-person chair).

It was weird, and extremely slow...but better than being totally closed!
    sproing!

Big rain at Donner Lake this afternoon. Boy does it smell great. Rain stopped just in time for us to have another couple for dinner and leave us with a lime green sunset, which I've never seen before.

Did Northstar last week. It actually made me a bit depressed for ski season, as I have never waited in a line there before, though I suppose part of that could be because they are only running one lift (apparently due to forestry operations). I was a single and each time rode up with one other on opposite sides of the chair. The outer gate for the lift on each side had "single" written on it, so it seems like that was the move, but maybe they changed that up in last few days.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Because I hate waiting in line so much, lately I've found myself touring on weekends more frequently and going to the resort(s) on weekdays. I'm guessing that's going to be the plan for a lot of us next season. We're going to see some astonishing line pictures the first good powder day that falls on a Saturday... especially with attempts to maintain spacing throughout. Still, better than nothing.

The lines seemed fairly hyooodge
    Name:  IMG_3598.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  255.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

What an absolute shitshow. Just get an ebike and be done with that stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

ewwwwwww..............hard pass

so thats what northstar looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

That's a 20 minute line FYI. Yeah, no lines are better, but wasn't too bad if you were expecting it.

Also, Northstar bike park could have stayed closed all summer..., and then everyone's favorite zone would REALLY have been overrun.

Tons of rain west of 89 yesterday, but almost none at top of Painted Rock/UBC. Trails are riding so damn good this year, pretty awesome to have so much monsoonal flow.
    sproing!

For those of you that were talking about clogging up the roundabouts this looks like an excellent time to do it: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...nd-lake-tahoe/

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    For those of you that were talking about clogging up the roundabouts this looks like an excellent time to do it: https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...nd-lake-tahoe/
    That's hilarious. In the midst of the pandemic and BLM, protesting the tourists reeks of privilege and entitlement. (Or are those the same thing?) As usual the comments are the best part. Apparently the problem is immigration. Yeah, our beaches and trails are crammed with poor, non-English-speaking people arriving in BMW's and Audis. In fact the people in question are doing the shitty essential jobs around here and risking their lives doing it.

why do you hate America so much?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Looking forward to seeing “DON’T TRASH OUR HOME” signs left on the ground after the protest.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    why do you hate America so much?
    I'll love America when pigs fly.

best news out of that article is that echo summit will be closed for 2 weeks.

some of the biggest things that needs doing are increased garbage pickup, expanding the keep tahoe clean program and hiring garbage cops to hand out citations....... but who pays for that??? ive said it before but ill say it again.......but we need toll booths on all the california entries to the basin atop echo, luther, brockway and either donner or the 89 offramp from I80. just like driving to sf...... you only pay to enter the basin, not to leave it and full time locals get a free or discounted pass

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Looking forward to seeing “DON’T TRASH OUR HOME” signs left on the ground after the protest.
    the amount of Starbucks litter I saw left behind at a Bernie Sanders event a couple of years ago was stunning

license plate readers

One data point.

I drove thru south shore on Sunday at 11 am-12 pm. I was surprised to see that the crowds really were not that bad. Much more crowded on the Nevada side of the line with lots of folks milling about with about 80% mask compliance I would estimate. Entering CA the crowds kinda diminished and it looked like a lot the hotels/motels were empty. I certainly have seen it way more crowded during a typical summer Sunday. Lots of traffic coming up hill as I headed down to Placerville and very sucky traffic.

Now Highway 28 from the ponderosa to spooner lake was absolutely packed. Any place you could quasi-legally park a car along the road was filled and the sand harbor beach was packed solid. I have never seen that area quite that crowded. The proposed trail from sand harbor to spooner will be cool but I cannot imagine it will reduce the crowds and the general cluster even with the new parking areas. It is going to just draw more people over to that area and without organized bus shuttle services, fixed stops and improved access trails to the lake and infrastructure like garbage collection, and sanitary facilities that section of the east shore is liable to be loved to death. It might be a project with a lot of unintended consequences and cascading impacts. Has any environmental analysis been completed for it?

Info on the SR-28 project, including the EA: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=52969

Rather than a toll booth it would be a lot easier to just bump up the hotel/STR occupancy tax during high season (which may be all the time now). Maybe a special tax on boat rentals and White Claw as well for the summer crowds.