Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New wheelset/fork or boostinate?

So everything changed in the past 24 hours and it looks like I'm going to end up with Hank's old hightower frame to pair with my build kit.

I have a pair of Enve XCs that are laced to DT Swiss 350s. I have really loved the wheels, but as I build up this frame, it seems that they should have something wider than 18mm interior width for bigger tires.

The sticker on the rims states that they can run up to 2.5" tires (and I've been running DHF 2.5s up front). Is there much of a performance difference between these rims and a wider set?

If not, it would seem to make sense to just boostinate the rear and run the same wheelset.

Thoughts?

Any good deals on boost wheels these days? Anything to keep an eye out for? It is going to be hard to move away from carbon, but I'm on a budget.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Sorry Dave, that's what I meant when I wrote "boostinate."

Maybe I'm really asking whether there is much performance difference between my 18mm interior width rims and something wider - say 30mm.

If you're on a budget, and you didn't get pinch flats/burps with big tires on those rims, and didn't mind the roundness/sidewall flex, I'd say that's your answer.

You can always buy new wheels in the future.

Well, I think there is a pretty big difference between rims of different inner width. I think the key thing is to match the rim ID to the tire you use. You want less of a lightbulb shape to the tire, and more of a straight sidewall. If you have an 18 like you have with a 2.5 like you have, you have the lightbulb shape, and you need to use a higher pressure to not get the sidewall to fold over.
    When I switch from narrow to wide, (or matched), I notice it immediately. If it worth new rims? Maybe. What I did was put the old narrow rims on my single speed with 2.1’s (for smooth/fast/lightweight), and the wides on my FS with 2.4’s. I want wider rims on the SS speed, though, and will switch when I have spare cash.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I'm with plugboots. I'd take any decent 30mm wide aluminum rim over an 18mm wide enve, any day of the week.

I find 19 mm inner rims to be perfect...for running 32C tires on my commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I find 19 mm inner rims to be perfect...for running 32C tires on my commuter
    Just think about how fast your commute would be with a set of Enves! :-)

I don't think the difference is worth a new wheelset and fork on a budget build.

Boostinate the rear and find a decent, wider, non-boost front wheel for cheap.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Just think about how fast your commute would be with a set of Enves! :-)
    Enves and DT350s would be one pimpin' commuter wheelset. However, unless you're practically giving them away I'm gonna have to pass.

ETA: My commuter frame is also 100 mm QR/135 mm QR, that probably presents some problems.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-16-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Enves and DT350s would be one pimpin' commuter wheelset. However, unless you're practically giving them away I'm gonna have to pass.
    He's gonna have to practically give them away... since there has to be close to *zero* market for used 19mm mtb wheels.

New wheelset/fork or boostinate?

142mm 19mm enve wheel is a dope gravel/cx wheel. There might be some value in that. Can you convert your front hub to 12mm?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yes, it would appear that you can. Jenson has it here.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    142mm 19mm enve wheel is a dope gravel/cx wheel. There might be some value in that. Can you convert your front hub to 12mm?
    Yes, except they have 6 bolt rotors pattern. You can't get a good 6 bolt 140mm rotor.

140;would suggest its a bad rotor, unless its on a road bike

I have a pair of 27.5 light bicycle carbon wheels im selling. 31mm inner with hope hubs and adapters so they can be 142x100 or boost 148x110. Really good shape. Overbuilt for what i used them for. They were strictly xc/alpine bc wheels with more tire and liner than they needed. Straight as and never heard them touch a rock. Used them almost 2 yrs on one of 2 bikes. Havent thought of a price as i was thinking of a way to keep them. 6 bolt for rotors, possible to come with 200 or 203 rotors and or michelin enduro tires

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes, except they have 6 bolt rotors pattern. You can't get a good 6 bolt 140mm rotor.
    160 is legit for gravel, maybe a bit much for cx

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    160 is legit for gravel, maybe a bit much for cx

Exactly my point.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Wide internal rims are just as much of a gamechanger as tubeless and dropper posts in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    He's gonna have to practically give them away... since there has to be close to *zero* market for used 19mm mtb wheels.
    I think you underestimate the number of weight weenie carbon fanboiz out there who still run skinny tires. It's not like they're 26" rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Forgive my CX ignorance, but can you not use 160 rotors on a CX bike? Would someone really see a killer deal on an Enve/DT350 wheelset and say, "Looks nice, but I'd have to run 160 rotors, I'll pass" ? That seems nuts.

That Hightower needs fatter rims. My road bike has 18 ID. Get a second cheap bike for smooth fast trails and put those expensive 18's with Stan's lightweight tires on it. (I mean eventually.)

The only good use for an Enve XC rim is cyclocross or gravel. No fucking way on a mtn bike

Thanks for the input all. I have them for sale and we'll see if they are valuable to someone else. With a little luck they will sell and I'll find a good wider replacement.

If not, I'll ride them until I can afford to replace them.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Thanks for the input all. I have them for sale and we'll see if they are valuable to someone else. With a little luck they will sell and I'll find a good wider replacement.

If not, I'll ride them until I can afford to replace them.

Seth
    JHC, that's logical.

Very logical. If you're going to run them for a while, strongly consider downsizing your tires. 2.3 at least, but even some of those are big on 19mm. If you've tried smaller tires and prefer the big ones, ignore me, but balloon tires rolling around under me is one of my least favorite feelings.

Has anybody been on the Hunt Trail Wides?

I'm guessing that if I'm able to pick up a new wheelset, $400+/- is probably my limit. Any other recommendations?

Seth