Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Has anybody been on the Hunt Trail Wides?

I'm guessing that if I'm able to pick up a new wheelset, $400+/- is probably my limit. Any other recommendations?

Seth
    Don't buy a new wheelset that costs $400. It won't last. The rim will be shit, the freehub will fail, and the bearings will be notchy after your first muddy ride. Either buy something used, or save up.

Has anybody been on the Hunt Trail Wides?

I'm guessing that if I'm able to pick up a new wheelset, $400+/- is probably my limit. Any other recommendations?

Seth
    I've got a new set of Stan's Arch MK3 that I'd let go for right around that price. They have one ride on them (take-offs from new bike).

Backcountry/CC has Mercury, Race Face and Mavic boost wheelsets with big discounts for ~300. No experience with any (though the RF ones probably use the same buttertanium as other RF/Easton rims), but I'm sure you can find reviews easily and you'd have some piece of mind buying through backcountry.

I've been keeping my eyes on PB for used wheelsets over the past few days when this conversation started. Generally, I'm looking at the following:

~29mm IW
    32 spokes on rear for sure, preferred on front (I'm about 190#)
    Preferred brass nipples
    DT Swiss 350 hubs, don't know much about Hope
    DT Swiss XM (481, I think) or Spank Oozy (345?)

I've also seen Ibis wheelsets - some with DT internals and some without, Mercury wheelsets, and recently ran across the Hunts. Reviews, from what I've read, sound good, but Toast's concerns may be right - might be a better value buying used, but there is also no warranty and no idea how the last person treated them.

If there are other specific items to search for on PB or elsewhere, let me know. Thanks for the input.

Seth

It you are that specific you will never be satisfied unless you custom order.

I've got some hand built custom disc brake wheels that are still going at 12 years.

I've been keeping my eyes on PB for used wheelsets over the past few days when this conversation started. Generally, I'm looking at the following:

~29mm IW
    32 spokes on rear for sure, preferred on front (I'm about 190#)
    Preferred brass nipples
    DT Swiss 350 hubs, don't know much about Hope
    DT Swiss XM (481, I think) or Spank Oozy (345?)

I've also seen Ibis wheelsets - some with DT internals and some without, Mercury wheelsets, and recently ran across the Hunts. Reviews, from what I've read, sound good, but Toast's concerns may be right - might be a better value buying used, but there is also no warranty and no idea how the last person treated them.

If there are other specific items to search for on PB or elsewhere, let me know. Thanks for the input.

Seth
    The hub should be your top priority. Our trails aren't that rough, so I think rim strength and spoke count are slightly less important. But I'm pretty sure you can generate some torque, so a good freehub will be worth the money. DT Swiss, Hope, I9, King, Shimano, White Industries would be first choices. Sram and Raceface would be fine if you get their higher end stuff. Avoid Stan's, Roval, Novatec, and pretty much anything that's a house brand (which are most likely re-branded Novatecs).

I disagree with your avoids but that is my opinion. Stan's wheels are cheap and easily repairable with inexpensive parts that can be ordered by nearly anyone.

Can't say that for a brand like Shimano who have parts I've seen have plenty of issues on as well.

Custom wheels can be worth it but I've watched plenty of Chris King hubs go obsolete because they can't be adjusted to new standards. With cheap wheels you can easily roll into a new standard if you are paying attention and buy/sell for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I disagree with your avoids but that is my opinion. Stan's wheels are cheap and easily repairable with inexpensive parts that can be ordered by nearly anyone.

Can't say that for a brand like Shimano who have parts I've seen have plenty of issues on as well.

Custom wheels can be worth it but I've watched plenty of Chris King hubs go obsolete because they can't be adjusted to new standards. With cheap wheels you can easily roll into a new standard if you are paying attention and buy/sell for cheap.
    All fair points. But I know multiple people who have exploded their Stan's freehubs after less than a season of use. A warranty replacement takes a month, and then they exploded again. Issues with Stan's hubs are pretty well documented on the interwebz. The parts might be easily replaceable, but that doesn't do you any good when it's the teeth on the hub shell side that's detonated.

I weigh 155 lbs, and those sort of things aren't a problem for me. But pretty much every bigger / stronger guy I know that's ridden any of the "avoid" brands I mentioned has had freehub issues.

Agreed. Rather than name brands specifically I normally tell hard core or heavy riders don't buy cheap or lightweight focused brand parts as you will be disappointed when they break.

So if they ask who makes parts to be more heavy duty I steer them to those brands.

Thanks for the dialogue, guys. I'm not trying to make a case for Hunt, but they seem to check a good number of those boxes with the exception of the novatec hubs.

I have zero experience with Novatec, but in my mind, they have a reputation of being heavy. Do they also have the reputation of being unreliable? Those trail wides are about 1800g, use 6069 rim material, have 32h hubs for the rear. The weak spot in the system appears to be the hubs if they are, indeed, bad. This is where my education stops and I'm leaning on the collective for input.

I can find DT Swiss 350 hubs w/ XM481 rims for a similar price, but they are 28h rims. Maybe this (as Toast points out) is not as big of a deal as I'm making it.

Seth

28 hole are fine with the right spokes.

Bontrager always had 28 hole wheels and I've got a few of those still kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    28 hole are fine with the right spokes.
    Flesh that out for me - when searching, if I run across a 28h rim, what should I be looking for to ensure that they don't have spokes that are going to fold under me.

For the record, I'm riding mostly XC/Trail, so again, other than my size, this may be a non-issue when it really comes down to it.

Brands like Sapim and Dtswiss have websites that actually list tensile strength of their spokes. Dive in.

There are also good reports on spoke lacing and their various differences. William's Cycling has one.

I ran 28h DT Swiss Comp spokes & brass nipples on Light Bicycle carbon rims for 3 years, riding NorCal trails and never broke a spoke. I also weigh 10-15 lbs more than you. The wheels didn't even need truing for a good 2 years.

Ive had that experience with my lb wheels on hope pro 4 hubs(32 hole). Straight as the day they went on the bike. Hopes roll so fast too. I thought i could easily get away with 28 spokes, and while there is more 28 hole options out there now, i just find it easier to find 32 hole rims and it gives me the flexibility to build the hubs up for pretty much any application. Not all shops are going to have an abundance of 28h stock, if any

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I've been wondering whether you can more easily get by with a set of 28h rims if they are carbon vs aluminum rims? How much does the overall wheel stiffness come from the rim?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I know you said your budget was 400ish but I have these Roval Traverse Carbons I would sell you for $750 since its local.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The hub should be your top priority. Our trails aren't that rough, so I think rim strength and spoke count are slightly less important. But I'm pretty sure you can generate some torque, so a good freehub will be worth the money. DT Swiss, Hope, I9, King, Shimano, White Industries would be first choices. Sram and Raceface would be fine if you get their higher end stuff. Avoid Stan's, Roval, Novatec, and pretty much anything that's a house brand (which are most likely re-branded Novatecs).
    I agree for the most part other than nicer Rovals all use DT internals, some even use DT hubs.

I've been wondering whether you can more easily get by with a set of 28h rims if they are carbon vs aluminum rims? How much does the overall wheel stiffness come from the rim?

Most 32 hole Carbon wheels are way to stiff in my experience, 28 makes sense here. I always do 32 hole on alloy though.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

28h on most carbon rims is fine. For some carbon rims, I'd argue it's better. A lot of carbon rims are super stiff and kinda ride like shit. Reducing the spoke count makes them ride ever so slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I know you said your budget was 400ish but I have these Roval Traverse Carbons I would sell you for $750 since its local.

I agree for the most part other than nicer Rovals all use DT internals, some even use DT hubs.
    Yeah. I guess just to clarify, I'd only avoid those brands if they have in house hubs in the wheels. Nice rovals have dt hubs. Nice stan's wheels have i9s, etc. Those are all fine, at least as far as the hub is concerned.

Hey Seth, These are posted locally here in Colorado, I can help purchase and ship to you if you're interested?

DT Swiss XM481/421 29" wheelset, boost, mint - incl. spare rim $450
    EDIT, They just posted on craigslsit, here the link:

Craigslist ad
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 09-20-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks DH,

I noticed those on PB last night or this morning and they are on my watch list. I'll reach out to the seller and let you know if I need a local to help. Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Seth

Any feedback on the i9 backcountry wheels? Found a great local deal, but there are few reviews online. Wider than I have been looking for (at 36mm IW) and they have aluminum spokes which some say is really brittle.

Anybody have any real world experience or friends that are running these?

Seth

YMMV, but I think 36 is too wide for 2.3 tires. I think 2.5 minimum and probably more like 2.6 plus on a 36mm id rim.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    YMMV, but I think 36 is too wide for 2.3 tires. I think 2.5 minimum and probably more like 2.6 plus on a 36mm id rim.
    This. 36mm is basically a rim for 27.5+.

Otherwise, I've had good luck with i9 wheels. No issues with the aluminum spokes.

From Stan’s but applies to all rim and tire combos. (36 is too wide for 2.3 as mentioned)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda