Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    That's what I keep thinking. We put a new top end in it 3 years ago, the tranny's strong, it hardly has any rust. The suspension's fucked, the front axle is toast and it has electrical issues that keep popping up but it seems like it should be fixable. Trying to get the wife on board with spending more money on it has become a challenge, I was funding repairs on the downlow since the kid has no money but now she knows it's undriveable and she's on her horse about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I just discovered another thing that makes the I-6 my favorite engine...plug changes. I spent almost a whole day this w/e changing plugs on a goddamn V-8 and V-6. There's always something in the way that needs to be removed on those.
    I had a v6 where you had to remove the whole manifold, among other things, just to change plugs. Those plugs didn’t get changed.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's what I keep thinking
    What year is it? I'm guessing it's one of the last year models, since it's only got 200k. They (like mine) had the Chrysler electronics in 'em, also known as the absolute worst wiring/sensors/controls this side of 1900.

The drivetrain is AMC though, and it's fucking bulletproof. The tranny and rear end should be good ~600,000, and since you already replaced the top half of the (presumably) straight 6, you've already done more than you need to in order to get it over 300,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

It's an '01, I was trying to buy the latest-model one on purpose when I bought it. I bought it thinking I would have it the rest of my life and it's kinda killing me that this rig is just sitting there undriveable. The kid feels bad about it but he has no money. The wife hates it and wants it gone. I'd take it back and get it fixed in a heartbeat but the wife thing makes that problematic.

I like it and have spent good money getting it fixed up. It now needs like only maybe a grand to get it rolling again, which makes me not want to give up. The whole thing is way more dramatic than it needs to be. Honestly my life would be slightly better if it was just over. Want a free XJ? It could happen. You'd need to send a tow truck.
    Last edited by iceman; 10-01-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Short pier

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I had a v6 where you had to remove the whole manifold, among other things, just to change plugs. Those plugs didn’t get changed.
    The 2 rear plugs on the 4.7 in my Durango are a huge hassle to get to. I have no idea how long it's been since they were changed. The thing runs smooth enough though so, ehh, whatever. It has 203k on it now and other than some ChryCo gremlins, a few rust through holes and a worn out front end it just keeps chugging away so I'll drive it like that until it doesn't chug anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Want a free XJ?
    I'm betting you live way too far from me to make this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

My 07 pilot just passed 250k. Going strong, but some rattling.

I read about a guy delivers for a medical company putting 1mm miles on a Toyota pickup. Guy drove 10k a month.

I like Jay

watch out for snakes

I lived in Hermosa Beach during the 90's when Jay was doing regular shows at the Comedy and Magic club and I'd always see him cruising by, always in a different cool car or motorcycle. A thumbs up was always good for a smile and wave.

if you your work is driving then you clock the big numbers, I now remember a guy who drove the bankers dispatch every day from PG to Valemont, a 600 km round trip with no stop lights just carrying some manila envelopes

Thats 160,000 kms a year in pretty short time buddy had an 03 VW TDi with 650,000 kms on the clock, he did it for a short time, ended up involved with one of the women he met on the route and quit, Ironicaly in his next gig he drove a zamboni

My buddy the traveling copier salesman used to say how many is not important,

the cost per copy / the cost per kilometer is what is important
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-02-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Cost per mile for my BRZ at 123k is about 14 cents per mile including having a new clutch installed. If a bunch of stuff that was replaced under warranty had to be paid for the car wouldn't still be in my driveway.

my 1990 ( 1st year of the 4 door ) 4-runer was great between 200,000 and 300,000 kms at which point it started averaging 1100 $ a month for fuel & repairs

Running the figures on a cocktail napkin monthly costs would be cheaper on a new VW TDi than a 10 yr old high milage SUV

So I would trade the high repair/ high fuel costs/ low car payments for the high car payment/low fuel cost/no repairs and on paper actualy save a little money by driving a new car and that is how it happened

In hindsite I would have saved a lot of money if I sold that 4-runner at < 300,000 km, I noticed there are always used $-runers for sale with 275000 kms on the clock

IME/ IMO there is a right time to sell off a vehical, that might be just before you gotta dump a bunch of cash on it , when the milage gets high, when it needs both sets of tires, a timing belt, a major tuneup, the perfect storm of multiple costs is also a good time to take your residual worth out of a vehical

You can drive a car till it drops for sure but that could be a crap shoot, turning over vehicals is just another strategy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

99 4Runner - 304k miles. same engine, replaced tranny at 250k.

01 Bavarian Motoren Wanker seX-5 - 226k miles. original everything

Both of these are getting driven into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    99 4Runner - 304k miles. same engine, replaced tranny at 250k.

01 Bavarian Motoren Wanker seX-5 - 226k miles. original everything

Both of these are getting driven into the ground.
    I’m amused that you came all the way here from 2007 to let us know how many miles you’d run up on your vehicles.
    focus.

I have a 1985 Ram Crew Cab with a Cummins First Gen conversion. It has 261,163 on a clock that has been broken for 8 years (hitting the trip reset button while moving breaks old, plastic, mechanical gears) so I estimate that it easily has 300,000 plus.

The crew cab was my grandfather’s and the donor has been mine since I bought it in 2001 with 160kish. I put the two together about 9 years ago when our second baby was on the way and the regular cab was too small.

I have a new Cummins now for towing and longer trips, but I still drive my First Gen everyday to work.

That's a gorgeous truck.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    That's a gorgeous truck.
    Right. Pretty cool history too. I wish my Grandpa had held on to some of his old trucks he drove throughout the years.

I know of a mid-'90's Dodge truck with a Cummins with over 850,000 miles on it. Roofer who put the roof on our house in '99 came back to do some work last spring driving the same truck, I was amazed. 20 years later, driving the same truck. Just short of 850K at the time, which was 6 months ago. Turns out he has another body for it sitting in a barn somewhere waiting for when he needs it, which I would have said was about 5 years ago but he doesn't agree.

I think the current record is 1.7 million held by a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Second Gen 24v.

Thanks for the compliments!

My dad had a 2006 basic honda civic that got just over 350,000miles (he drove a lot for work). Minimal repairs and maintenance. I think the most expensive part was when the AC compressor went. Anyways, he sold it in 2017 and still got like $2500ish for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    My dad had a 2006 basic honda civic that got just over 350,000miles (he drove a lot for work). Minimal repairs and maintenance. I think the most expensive part was when the AC compressor went. Anyways, he sold it in 2017 and still got like $2500ish for it.
    My father in law managed to sell his 1988 Mazda B2200 pickup two years ago with 340-360k on it for like $2,000. I was blown away. Interior and exterior were fair with no major issues and it did run well, but I was amazed that he got that much.

My Dad drove a ton and was the absolute worst ever on maintenance, I doubt those cars ever had an oil change, he'd get some oil put in if a light came on is about it. And he was driving like 1,000 miles a week.

I remember he had an Impala, probably like '76 or so, he got it up over 250K and was all proud of it. One day shortly after that he turned it on as I was walking past behind it and there was a horrendous bang and a bigass jet of flame came out the exhaust that I remember being like 20 feet long. Probably it was less but that thing was a big damn jet of flame. And that was it for that Impala, it never ran again. All in all he probably won financially though. Cheap car, zero maintenance, drove it right into the ground and walked away.