Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Run the figures, sometimes it's cheaper to get rid of a car than keep running it

When I got the 2001 golf TDi minimum down payment, it was so cheap on fuel between skiing/ paddling/ the job I just drove it more,
    96000 km in one year at which point it was gona need tires/ TB/ major service roughly 1500 $ and it would have half a million km by the time it was paid off

OR I could trade it in on a 2002 TDi , interest rates had gone down so it was only 10 $ a month more,
    I'm thinking maybe I will get the red one this time (faster eh) but all they got is the same color, as I am signing the salesman asks "oh I should ask did you want to test drive ?"

Any difference I ask, no it's the exact same car well then I just did a 96000km test drive

and the new car was exactly the same ... It didn't even seem like I got a new car
    Sales tax a big hit. It would have paid For the maintenance.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    My '91 Subaru Loyale has a meager 272k, but she's got a lot of life in her still.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Miles and vehicles are weird. There's good miles and bad ones. I have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Sales tax a big hit. It would have paid For the maintenance.
    On a trade in you already paid tax so you don't pay on that portion
    , so 10 bucks a month x 60 months is only 600 dollars

What is/was the highest mileage vehicle that still in active use?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    I've a feeling that a lot of these are in the west? In the roadsalt belt u usually have to ditch a vehicle because the corrosion has done eaten it up.
    My ‘02 Camry had over 230k miles on it when I sold it. All of them in the Midwest. I still see it around town. I hated that car, but the fucking thing wouldn’t die or ever really need anything but gas, tires, and the odd oil change.

It has some rusty panels, worse now, but when I sold it you couldn’t really tell from more than 20ft away.

Point being, some cars seem to do much better with that than others, all else being equal, and there are plenty of high miled cars around here. It COULD be that this forum has a disproportionate number of members who hail from the west.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 09-21-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    ...I still see it around town...
    Funny how that works. In a small town like Jackson, it’s not uncommon to see a champion performer Cougar go three or four owners deep.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Nice. Doesn’t work like that in Cali

Plus the 12 months you paid on the first car.

What is/was the highest mileage vehicle that still in active use?

I bought my first car in 1987 from my dad’s friend. 1970 Toyota Corona 4 door. A buddy of mine bought it from me in 1989. He’s still driving it with over 500 thousand miles on the clock. It’s the only car he will ever own.

I sold a 2000 Subaru Outback with 315 thousand miles on it last year.

My current 2007 F150 is at 288 thousand miles.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I bought an Infiniti I30 with like 160,000 on the odo and sold it for almost what I paid for it ~5 years later with close to a quarter million miles on it. Bomb-proof Nissan VQ engine would probably still be ticking if the body didnt rot out all around it

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Here's the Yaris at 888,888 (km's)

Attachment 294191
    Still in the lead right?

552,000 miles. At 60 mph avg that's 9,200 hours in a fucking Yaris. You win?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes!! Oh Wait.

(I did put on roughly 200,000 km's on this company car. It was black and weathered enough that the paint had faded to an asphalt colour. Just looked like shit. It was weird - you feel completely invisible in a car like that. Girls aren't looking at you, cops aren't looking at you, if you do that awkward thing where two vehicles approach a stop sign at the same time, the'll automatically take the lead. I called it the ghost car.)

I drove my 93 Grand Cherokee into Pick N Pull at 400K. They were stunned.
    One trans, original engine running straight Lucas Oil.

He probably never hit 60 delivering pizzas.

Between the speed reduction and prank calls giving bad addresses you could prolly round up to about 16 full months.

I'm not above delivering pizzas but those km's were picking up and delivering lab samples. Very wide network. Loong drives. Was pretty aight actually. The car I had before that one was an Echo so those were good times lol.

Just crossed this arbitrary milestone in my 1999 XJ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03180.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	295698
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I had an XJ that I gave to the kid a few years ago and he's driven that fucker into the ground just shy of 200k, I've been debating whether to reclaim it and try to rescue it or just say fukkit and let it go.

The LS400 https://carbuzz.com/news/the-million...00-miles-to-go

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I bought an Infiniti I30 with like 160,000 on the odo and sold it for almost what I paid for it ~5 years later with close to a quarter million miles on it. Bomb-proof Nissan VQ engine would probably still be ticking if the body didnt rot out all around it
    I had a 97. Great car.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I had a 97. Great car.
    To this day, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Still have regrets that I sold it instead of just keeping it for a beater extra car...
    Name:  I30.jpeg
Views: 390
Size:  11.5 KB

Conversely, on the Lexus note, have another customer with an 04 LS430 with only 36k on it. I fucking love that car and would gladly put hundreds of thousands of miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

reclaim it
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Conversely, on the Lexus note, have another customer with an 04 LS430 with only 36k on it. I fucking love that car and would gladly put hundreds of thousands of miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My 2003 GS300 has 44k miles on it. 2JZ-GE inline 6. Ill never sell it.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I just discovered another thing that makes the I-6 my favorite engine...plug changes. I spent almost a whole day this w/e changing plugs on a goddamn V-8 and V-6. There's always something in the way that needs to be removed on those.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang