Knee high ski boots...anybody use them? How did/do they feel?

What's the word on the old school knee high ski boots? How did/do they feel?

Presently workin' on a custom ski boot liner tongue project and intentionally cut the pieces of foam and plastic too long so I could slowly pare it down in height to find a sweet spot. However, doing some initial fit and flex testing, the higher tongues simply feel better than the stock, lower tongue in the other boot. Hesitant to cut 'em now.

Then, damn; in this article, there's a pic posted of a Kastinger "Porsche" boot with an external forward flex modulating hydraulic cylinder...Dream boot! Must do more Mods!

https://retro-skiing.com/2017/04/knee-high-ski-boots/

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 1795
Size:  230.5 KB
    Master of mediocrity.

They were junk. A friend had the secret weapons. Basically just a really high liner.
    I actually skied a four buckle Kastinger up until 77, when the whole industry tried to force rear entry on us.
    I skied Hanson’s for about a year and then went back to Lange X1000.

IIRC you had a lot of jean pants fabric to deal with around the boot top compared to boots of more modest height.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Not all were junk. The Polaris was designed from the ground up as being a lever boot most of the others like the Dolomite Secret Weapon were rushed to the market with just a high cuff addition on their regular boot. The Kastinger/Porsche never made it to production, I do happen to have a one in my collection. I skied in Polaris's from 81-85 befire switching to Flexons. I do still have some Polaris's still will take them out about once a year to ski, the plastic is dead and has very little rebound but that has more to do with age than it does design.
    Last edited by Flexon Phil; 09-20-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Booster needs to bring back a Jet Stix product.. but have the plastic braces front and back.. Think this is Dave Peterson's photo

Fake ad would make a great April Fools post.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

fuck yeah, jet stick yer langes......loved the fuckin' 70s man!

+1 on the Booster fore/aft Jet Stix (2.0?)

I"m sticken with the (almost) knee high tongue thingie for now, FTW.

The way the liner's cut, it hinges above the ankle bone so forward flexing drives the heel into pocket. Should produce good feelz for gravel skiing pitches B 4 the snow flies. Time will tell...

Name:  P1110642.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  203.7 KB

Name:  P1110650.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  P1110649.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  134.0 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 09-17-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Not all were junk. The Polaris was designed from the ground up as being a lever boot msot of the others like the Dolomite Secret Weapon were rushed to the market with just a high cuff addition on their regular boot. The Kastinger/Porsche never made it to production, i do happen to have a one in my collection. I skied in Polaris's from 81-85 befire switching to Flexons. I do still have some Polaris's still will take them out about once a year to ski, the plastic is dead and has very little rebound but that has more to do with age than it does design.
    Did you make turns in the Kastinger/Porsche boots? How did they feel flexwise compared to boots of the day and today? Do you think with today's tech, a flex modulating front shock has any merit in modern boots?
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Did you make turns in the Kastinger/Porsche boots? How did they feel flexwise compared to boots of the day and today? Do you think with today's tech, a flex modulating front shock has any merit in modern boots?
    I did make turns in them. They actually ski quite well, As far as the shock, it served a purpose back then but with better materials now, there are more options. The boot is not about the shock, but the lever design.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    fuck yeah, jet stick yer langes......loved the fuckin' 70s man!
    wut he sed