Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    No way Trump wants to get into a fight that sends US gas prices up maybe 50% in an election year.

To IAS’s point; do we really need drone drops of items we can live without in an hour at the risk of opening ourselves up to mischievous acts?
    The insta-grat era. Why are humans so dopey?

Defeating COTS UAVs is easy unless they are synchronized with an EW effort. Somewhat difficult to detect, but once detected easy to defeat.
    The issue here is the Saudis didn’t plan for an aerial attack on their oil facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Is that my weed coming from the ups-amazon drone, or sweet death coming from the google-DEA assassination drone?

I should put that sentence on a business card for when people are like “awww, you guys aren’t having any kids?”
    I'll go in on an order of those with you. Can we add "Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, selfish breeder," on the back?

What kind of drones are we talking about? It it was, in fact, Iran then we might be talking about some pretty sophisticated stuff with stealth capabilities. Remember, Iran has had one of these for several years now and no doubt has reverse engineered/acquired a lot of the technology we built in to it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...Q-170_incident
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No way Trump wants to get into a fight that sends US gas prices up maybe 50% in an election year.
    I wish you were right, but that guy could hit the button falling out of bed.

It’s got to be a huge business developing drone weapons and defenses. Everyone is going to need jamming devices.

I wish I took my RC-10 racing to the next level. I’d be rich.

Is that my weed coming from the ups-amazon drone, or sweet death coming from the google-DEA assassination drone?

I should put that sentence on a business card for when people are like “awww, you guys aren’t having any kids?”
    What have you done in the wilds of the UP that makes you think you could be an assassination target? And does Amazon even deliver up there? And if they do don't they use canoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I wish you were right, but that guy could hit the button falling out of bed.
    For all of the man's faults, and they are beyond numerous, he has proven himself to be quite the non warmonger , thank God. All talk, no hat.

Careful Benny. He has a very easily bruised ego. If he reads your comment, that might be enough to get him to go to war.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    What kind of drones are we talking about? It it was, in fact, Iran then we might be talking about some pretty sophisticated stuff with stealth capabilities. Remember, Iran has had one of these for several years now and no doubt has reverse engineered/acquired a lot of the technology we built in to it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...Q-170_incident
    I dunno, remeber stuxnet? I still think that "captured" drone was a total trojan horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    My favorite tweet from last week

"I mustache you to resign, John"
    lulz

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I dunno, remeber stuxnet? I still think that "captured" drone was a total trojan horse.
    Stuxnet was discovered 2010 been there since 2005. Drone captured 2011. It flew so there was some working technology available for them to copy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What have you done in the wilds of the UP that makes you think you could be an assassination target?
    I subvert the dominant paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    And does Amazon even deliver up there? And if they do don't they use canoes?
    Here in the wilds, UPS has little brown 4x4 F350s with utility beds and Amazon is dryfucking local businesses to death.

Stuxnet was discovered 2010 been there since 2005. Drone captured 2011. It flew so there was some working technology available for them to copy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
    Not how stuxnet was introduced, it was another way to introduce malicious worms and such into Iran and other player's systems. A trojan horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    For all of the man's faults, and they are beyond numerous, he has proven himself to be quite the non warmonger , thank God. All talk, no hat.
    Ego can go from 0-100km in under 3 seconds.

^^^^. This is ‘Mercia. No one knows what the fuck you are taking about. Best to say “0-61 mph”

Don’t even get started with centigrade. Even though it makes way more sense, you likely just get black stares when you tell someone it is 10 degrees on a mild day.

I subvert the dominant paradigm.

Here in the wilds, UPS has little brown 4x4 F350s with utility beds and Amazon is dryfucking local businesses to death.
    Pretty sure Amazon is dry fucking the whole world. All that one or two day shipping is fucking up the environment in crazy ways. Not to mention the return shipping when the 8 pair of ski boots you order don’t fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Ego can go from 0-100km in under 3 seconds.
    Well, it would certainly be the end of him, so that's good. His yahoo base hates the neverending wars, too.

Dont be silly.

Iran is clever enough to do the moves through the Yemen (Houthi) proxies and not directly implicate themselves. Even after Boltons removal, it is not like the current government likes Iran...
    Smaller drones (of flying wing style) in the 10-20kg weight range can carry 2-3kg HE payload for 30-60km. Launch them from the desert and one is 50km away from the launch site when the drones hit the target. Ad to that utter and total incompetence of saudi military/law enforcement, the culprits can chill out sipping Shai Adeni somewhere in Hodeida.

What baffles me is that even if saudis spend up to 50-60B (!) annually on defence, they still fail to protect their key infrastructure from simple drone attacks...it is not like there are not any UAV countermeasures available...

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Not how stuxnet was introduced, it was another way to introduce malicious worms and such into Iran and other player's systems. A trojan horse.
    There a gazillian other effective delivery methods available that don't provide them with at least some of the stealth and aerdonymic technology they got from that. If, the virus that took down their nuke sites last year came from that, I'd call it a break even being what else they got of value..

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Pretty sure Amazon is dry fucking the whole world. All that one or two day shipping is fucking up the environment in crazy ways. Not to mention the return shipping when the 8 pair of ski boots you order don’t fit.
    Had my heater die Friday. The part I needed for phase one wasn't available anywhere locally. However, Amazon Prime delivered one to my door this morning, SUNDAY. So ya, I was able to take care of a big portion of the job. Rest of the parts are coming Wednesday, but today's work had to happen first. That kind of service is tough to beat. FWIW, odds are it was a mom and pop appliance place that drove the part over to the Amazon fulfillment center late last night. No way the local hub has dozens of gas log fireplace blowers on hand.
    Still not sold on drone delivery yet though. Gonna be a whole lot of busted shit dropped on peoples' porches before they get that ironed out.

Trump administration declassifies photos of Saudi oil industry targeted by attack showing strikes on 17 different places.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    What baffles me is that even if saudis spend up to 50-60B (!) annually on defence, they still fail to protect their key infrastructure from simple drone attacks...it is not like there are not any UAV countermeasures available...
    USA spends $600M per year on defense and yet a small group of Saudis took out the Pentagon and two large buildings in NYC...
    Like SB sez upthread, Asymmetric warfare is tough to contain
    I'm waiting for the Houthis to send in a bunch of RC cars packed with C4...

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Suicide drones just like the bombers.

Hard to defend against, you have to shoot them until the whole thing blows up or crashes.

A similar event could take out large sections of the US power grid. Heck you dont even need drones, mylar balloons will do it.
    Plus there is the added benefit for Allah not having to reward 72 virgins to the next guy that blows himself up. Celibate robots FTW.

This thread is a very good reminder to people about the possibility of remote control planes. It increases the possibilities for asymmetrical ware fare, and gives additional ammunition to insurgents everywhere. The amount of news coverage this is getting only promotes the idea of drone warfare.

One benefit that cannot be understated is the fact that a drone is far cheaper and easier to produce/operate than a rocket. After decades upon decades of rocket research, more powers are going to turn to the idea of flying a bomb on remotely. I mean, go to any hobby store, and you'll find all sorts of RC hardware out there for cars/boats/planes/etc. With enough practice, even small-scale belligerents can arm themselves with flying bombs.

Drone swarms are another subject to consider, but will likely be limited to larger and more complex militaries. It's one thing to remotely operate drones, but coding a swarm to operate is an entirely different challenge. Unless you plan to have a warehouse full of operators flying them, like a call center.