Thread: Hearing Aids

Hearing Aids

I visit and elderly woman who is in a home from time to time.

Her hearing is so bad that we can barely carry a conversation. She is bright and alert but not hearing I believe is driving her crazy.

I have a couple pair of Shooting headsets. They amplify sounds really well while also blocking out loud sounds like Gun fire.

If I just crank up a pair of those and put them on her head.

Do you think she would be able to hear clearly ? The way I hear water trickle and the wind in trees That I cannot hear without them?

Crazy Idea?

https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor...0aAi3lEALw_wcB
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

WHAAAT???????
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Typically those types of headsets give a flat gain boost across all frequencies. So it would most likely be over amplifying some and under amplifying others.

They also do not have any noise reduction capabilities. Most likely she would hear a significant amount of background noise that would make her not want to wear them on a consistent basis.

If her hearing has been like this for a significant period of time it is likely she has some phonemic regression. Basically if you don’t use it you lose it. Not necessarily loose hearing but the ability to process sounds into speech. It takes consistent use of a hearing device over time to restore what has been lost. Even with a properly fit hearing aid there Will never be perfect hearing. Nerve cells in the inner ear (cochlea) have been damaged and it is a compromised system than can never fully be restored.

Quality hearing aids can be very expensive. Like $1300-2600 each. (At least that’s what I sell them for others are significantly higher). With the higher priced models having more capabilities in removing background noise and possible added automatic features.

I’m an audiologist and do this everyday. If it’s something you are really interested in helping her with I might be able to scrounge up an older model hearing aid that I could send your way. I would really need a hearing test to be able to program the hearing aids correctly and possibly an ear mold depending upon the hearing loss. I don’t have a large selection of older models because on the side a do a non profit that I fit hospice patients with hearing aids at no charge so they can hear a bit better at the end of life. But I bet I could put something together. Let me know.

And yes about going crazy. New studies show that untreated hearing loss contributes significantly to early onset dementia.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Typically those types of headsets give a flat gain boost across all frequencies. So it would most likely be over amplifying some and under amplifying others.

They also do not have any noise reduction capabilities. Most likely she would hear a significant amount of background noise that would make her not want to wear them on a consistent basis.

If her hearing has been like this for a significant period of time it is likely she has some phonemic regression. Basically if you don’t use it you lose it. Not necessarily loose hearing but the ability to process sounds into speech. It takes consistent use of a hearing device over time to restore what has been lost. Even with a properly fit hearing aid there Will never be perfect hearing. Nerve cells in the inner ear (cochlea) have been damaged and it is a compromised system than can never fully be restored.

Quality hearing aids can be very expensive. Like $1300-2600 each. (At least that’s what I sell them for others are significantly higher). With the higher priced models having more capabilities in removing background noise and possible added automatic features.

I’m an audiologist and do this everyday. If it’s something you are really interested in helping her with I might be able to scrounge up an older model hearing aid that I could send your way. I would really need a hearing test to be able to program the hearing aids correctly and possibly an ear mold depending upon the hearing loss. I don’t have a large selection of older models because on the side a do a non profit that I fit hospice patients with hearing aids at no charge so they can hear a bit better at the end of life. But I bet I could put something together. Let me know.

And yes about going crazy. New studies show that untreated hearing loss contributes significantly to early onset dementia.
    She has a corded headset for her TV, and apparently can listen to the TV. But other than that. Shes sorta reading lips even when I'm semi yelling at her. I just don't have the coin to get her squared away, So I realized how enhanced some sounds were when I wear the Shooting headsets. Thought Why not give it a try.

It's hard to see someone with mobility issues also lose their ability to communicate. Like being alone in a crowd of people. "I know that feeling"

I know that 3 years ago when she was my next door neighbor, she could understand everything I said and could hold a complex conversation with me.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I guess I forgot to say I could send these at no cost. I’m sure you could find somebody that’s offering a free hearing test somewhere. She may have to listen to their sales pitch after but I would be glad to provide some type of hearing aid. Might be something older but better then nothing
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    I guess I forgot to say I could send these at no cost. I’m sure you could find somebody that’s offering a free hearing test somewhere. She may have to listen to their sales pitch after but I would be glad to provide some type of hearing aid. Might be something older but better then nothing
    I am going to see what I can do to take you up on this.
    I think it would bring a bit of joy to someone who is coming to the end of life.
    I think worth my time.

She is an orthopedic recovery unit. But she will not be leaving there.

I wonder if they have done a hearing test. ??
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I just had like 10 days of not being able to hear out of my left ear (infection, surfing...whatever). It was totally disorienting and socially super difficult.
    After that experience, I can definitely see how significant hearing loss could contribute to any number of psychosocial problems.

I was there today. They are going to schedule a hearing test for her.
    Popeyes Chicken won the day.
    I guess it's not a big deal they will just have the doctor write a prescription for it so long as there is an intention to do something with the information.

For those in the area, this is Lynn we are talking about. The lady who worked the Lotto Building on the CA/NV State line @ The Gold Ranch.. She never retired She ended up in the care facility when her Hip finally gave out to the point she could not move.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Take UT up on that offer. That is very kind and generous. I’ve had better luck getting my dad sorted by going to the UC hearing dept and the tests were covered by Medicare and his supplement. Hearing aids are woefully inept technology still unfortunately. Kudos to UT, not many audiologists are that altruistic

It’s nice to see good people doing good things....