Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    263

    Thumbs down Solo trip planning

    So i'm pretty lame and don't have any friends who ski but I want to plan a trip somewhere out west.. Yeah Yeah use the search jong... Where the fuck should I go? It would be a short trip (leave Fri/Sat home Sun/Mon/Tues) I'd like to get 2 days in. Probably rent a car to get around/sleep in as i have a dirtbag budget.. SO what will get the best bang for my buck going solo? CO UT Tahoe? Thinking about going late Jan/early Feb. So am I dumb for trying to go solo?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    907
    Posts
    10,130
    Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes The wøndërful telephøne system And mäni interesting furry animals Including the majestik møøse

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    307
    Cheap ass room in SLC, beater rental car, drive to snow.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,750
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Cheap ass room in SLC, beater rental car, drive to snow.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    A friend spent a week in SLC solo skiing, stayed at an airbnb that was just a room in someone's house, for like$25/night. Cheaper than any hotel and sounded nicer than a hostel.

    I vote SLC also for a cheap getaway trip. Ikon or Epic pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    345
    Besides the obvious added cost factor (not being able to split costs on rooms and gas) I freaking love travelling alone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    8,242
    Don't underestimate the cost savings from staying at a place where you can shove breakfast meats in your pocket for lunch.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,815
    3 words: B B I

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,115
    ^^thats what’s up
    Make ski friends and have a blast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    14,821
    If solo why plan? Wait for a storm cycle and go.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,811
    Not tahoe unless you go last minute. Too many rain events and droughts in recent years. Rockies for sure.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    14,623
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Cheap ass room in SLC, beater rental car, drive to snow.

    You don't even have to drive to snow in SLC - you can take a city bus.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,499
    Renting a 4x4 big enough to sleep in is going to be expensive and uncomfortable.

    Look for places you can taxi/Uber from the airport to your accommodation and bus from your accommodation to the hill.

    SLT fits that bill. Mammoth does too...

    Tahoe and CO, not so much.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    3,860
    SLC, ftmfw

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Wa wa..tatic
    Posts
    3,143
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    3 words: B B I
    yeah man seems like a perfect opportunity to hit one of the multiple BBIs and make some friends

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    263
    I was thinking SLC .. Found a pretty cheap flight and booked for jan 25. No pass anywhere so daily tickets are gonna hurt but what can ya do.. So now the question is Alta/snowbird or Park City?
    And a dumb question......B B I? Bring Bitches Inside? Blast Benny's Intestines? Bang Blurred Indiscriminately? (no really wtf is that??)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    15,750
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    I was thinking SLC .. Found a pretty cheap flight and booked for jan 25. No pass anywhere so daily tickets are gonna hurt but what can ya do.. So now the question is Alta/snowbird or Park City?
    And a dumb question......B B I? Bring Bitches Inside? Blast Benny's Intestines? Bang Blurred Indiscriminately? (no really wtf is that??)
    Buy an ikon pass now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    I was thinking SLC .. Found a pretty cheap flight and booked for jan 25. No pass anywhere so daily tickets are gonna hurt but what can ya do.. So now the question is Alta/snowbird or Park City?
    And a dumb question......B B I? Bring Bitches Inside? Blast Benny's Intestines? Bang Blurred Indiscriminately? (no really wtf is that??)
    Little and Big cotton wood canyon both have transport to them
    There is a train from the airport
    https://www.rideuta.com/

    cheaper tickets:
    https://shop.skicity.com/?_ga=2.1401...267.1568728823

    Also usually doesnt populate until October but a lot of the cheaper limited service hotels in the south valley have deals that include super pass above ( or at least used to)
    https://www.skicity.com/ski-deals/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,268
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Don't underestimate the cost savings from staying at a place where you can shove breakfast meats in your pocket for lunch.
    Indeed. The "free breakfast" at the motel also means free PB&J for lunch.

    On a side note, it's gotta warm your heart that he posted this thread in the padded room.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,801
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    <snip> So now the question is Alta/snowbird or Park City?
    Are you new to this whole skiing thing?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,757
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    I was thinking SLC .. Found a pretty cheap flight and booked for jan 25. No pass anywhere so daily tickets are gonna hurt but what can ya do.. So now the question is Alta/snowbird or Park City?
    I hear Ogden is nice

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    566
    If you can afford it, don't book anything now. Wait until you're a week out and then book based on the weather forecast. Skiing okay terrain in great conditions is way more fun than skiing great terrain in crap conditions.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    And a dumb question......B B I? Bring Bitches Inside? Blast Benny's Intestines? Bang Blurred Indiscriminately? (no really wtf is that??)
    start here
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-Invitational

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    8,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Indeed. The "free breakfast" at the motel also means free PB&J for lunch.
    Ask Bunny, but I think he prefers pocketed meats.

    On a side note, it's gotta warm your heart that he posted this thread in the padded room.
    Oh ya.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ask Bunny, but I think he prefers pocketed meats.



    Oh ya.

    Pro tip.

    Cut a hole in your front pants pocket to always have pocket meat.



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Little and Big cotton wood canyon both have transport to them
    There is a train from the airport
    https://www.rideuta.com/

    cheaper tickets:
    https://shop.skicity.com/?_ga=2.1401...267.1568728823

    Also usually doesnt populate until October but a lot of the cheaper limited service hotels in the south valley have deals that include super pass above ( or at least used to)
    https://www.skicity.com/ski-deals/
    Thanks for this! This probably the cheapest lift tickets I will find!

    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    If solo why plan? Wait for a storm cycle and go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    If you can afford it, don't book anything now. Wait until you're a week out and then book based on the weather forecast. Skiing okay terrain in great conditions is way more fun than skiing great terrain in crap conditions.
    I wish I could but Vacation days are first come first serve so I have to request it off now.. It will probably rain while I'm there.. Or it will DUMP the night before I arrive and they will close the roads!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •