Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Latest Ripley or Tallboy....Anyone Ridden?

I'll try not to turn this into a "what bike do I want?" thread.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new mid travel trail frame and have to narrowed down to the latest Tallboy or Ripley. A local shop has a Ripley that I'm demoing this weekend but Tallboy demos may not arrive before the season ends. I'm leaning towards the Tallboy based on reviews and fun factor but the Ripley appears to be a better climber based on the angles and lighter weight.

I basically want a stout, mid travel bike for long rides, lots of up but won't get thrown around by techy trails. Hoping for input for anyone who has had some saddle time on either.

Why not a Pivot Trail 429?

I much prefer a DW Link vs VPP. I prefer how it provides more traction on the up and doesn't stiffen up with hard braking on the down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Why not a Pivot Trail 429?
    Wasn't on my radar but the local shop has a few in stock. Probably worth a look. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I much prefer a DW Link vs VPP. I prefer how it provides more traction on the up and doesn't stiffen up with hard braking on the down.
    I had a DW link Iron Horse quite a while ago and loved the way it pedaled; I'm really curious to see how the DW has evolved. I also really dig the VPP for most applications (I've been on a Hightower since '16), especially the way it feels through the middle and end its travel, but definitely agree on the stiffening during breaking. Small bump sensitivity could be better too.

Too many good bike out there. #firstworldproblems.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I also really dig the VPP for most applications (I've been on a Hightower since '16), especially the way it feels through the middle and end its travel, but definitely agree on the stiffening during breaking. Small bump sensitivity could be better too.

Too many good bike out there. #firstworldproblems.
    I think you'll find that the newer vpp bikes feel a bit different than the older designs like the original Hightower.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think you'll find that the newer vpp bikes feel a bit different than the older designs like the original Hightower.
    Yeah, we have a local demo coming up shortly. I want to try out the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, we have a local demo coming up shortly. I want to try out the new design.
    The lack of Tallboy and Hightower demos around here is frustrating. I at least want to try some version of the new VPP before plunking down 3 large for a frame.

x2 that VPP has got better, but I still like dw-link better.

I demo'ed the Ripley v4, it is an awesome bike. When you say "won't get thrown around by techy trails" it should be ok, I did max out travel but never felt held back. I would likely put a pike on the front. Only times I have maxed out the #ripmo is when I make a major mistake...so I typically don't push it that hard. With the way I would build the Ripley, it wasn't going to be much lighter(~1.5-2 lbs) than my ripmo, so figured I didn't ride enough to justify 2nd bike so similar.

Should be great for long rides. The geo does put a little more weight on your wrists while on flat trail I have noticed.

Can’t go wrong w a Ripley. Definitely a more versatile bike than the tallboy

The lack of Tallboy and Hightower demos around here is frustrating. I at least want to try some version of the new VPP before plunking down 3 large for a frame.
    Yeah, I'm with you. I probably wouldn't know about the one coming up if it wasn't for running into a shop guy...and its 40 minutes away at Bearbrook in October.

Also this is happening but is most likely full now.

Try Alpine Bike Works at K.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

West Coat SC demo tour had zero tallboys two weeks ago.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    The geo does put a little more weight on your wrists while on flat trail I have noticed.
    This is very true with the Ripley. On mine, I actually had to move the saddle back and get a longer stem to make it comfortable.

Can't go wrong with the Ripley for most applications. I find it a little under-gunned on the most technical stuff, but it's also a playful bike so you can always pick your way through the lines instead of plow through. It's a freakin' rocket going up hill, that's for sure.

What do you mean by under gunned for tech? Not enough suspension? Or geo wise? Both?

Possibly both? To me, it just doesn't feel like a "do it all" bike. But that's not a bad thing. My rationale in thinking: this summer, I rode the GG Trail Pistola for a month, and thought it was a great bike. It climbed fairly well, and was super plush on the descents (and it would get better with a 140mm fork up front). I would be more than happy to have it as a one-bike quiver.

I have Ripleys in my demo fleet, and so I built one up pretty pimp (XX1, I-9 wheels, etc) and have been riding it fairly regularly. It climbs like a rocket, and is super efficient for climbing and longer days in the saddle. But it just doesn't have the same plush feeling as the GG on techy descents, despite very similar geo. I wouldn't want the Ripley as a one-bike quiver, I'd always want to have a bigger bike available for the rowdy/technical days, as the Ripley isn't as much fun in that kind of stuff.

Right on Smmokan. Your insight is always very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Can’t go wrong w a Ripley. Definitely a more versatile bike than the tallboy
    Care to add more input?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Both bikes are compelling for their own reasons. The Ripley definitely being the noticeably faster and more technical climber of the two due to its lighter weight, steeper SA, suspension kinematics, slightly shorter FC. It would be cool if the Ripley could accept an angleset likes its cousin Ripmo which most in the know are doing (however I don't think it does). Haven't ridden the Tallboy but have ridden the Hightower and it goes down nice...and the TB should be fairly similar as geo is so close, however they are both heavier and while the new Hightower is a comfortable climber, I wouldn't call it as quick of a climber as its predecessor.

Do you have the terrain to justify the Yeti SB130? I've really enjoyed demoing that a couple days, a fast climber that can handle anything you throw at it down, such a fun ride.

I’ve ridden both now and the lighter weight of the ripmo would make me go that way unless your an enduro guy.

do some of you guys commenting realize that a brand new Tallboy just came out .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    do some of you guys commenting realize that a brand new Tallboy just came out .....
    Ripley4 vs. Tallboy4...everyone seems to be on the same page!
    Last edited by robnow; 09-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Latest Ripley or Tallboy....Anyone Ridden?

The new Ripley is the V4.

Yes, V4 of both bikes is what I’m after.

Thanks for all the Ripley input, especially from Smmokan. Definitely more info to chew on . I had to put off demoing it until next weekend but I’m even more anxious to put it through the paces.

I’m still leaning towards the Tallboy unless the Ripley really blows me away. Based on reviews it’s nearly as a efficient as the Ripley but it has that “throw it around and jump it” geo.

BTW anyone want a large Hightower frame really cheap??

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    This is very true with the Ripley. On mine, I actually had to move the saddle back and get a longer stem to make it comfortable.
    That's interesting. Mine came with a 60 stem and I'm going to try shorter.

Can't go wrong with the Ripley for most applications. I find it a little under-gunned on the most technical stuff, but it's also a playful bike so you can always pick your way through the lines instead of plow through. It's a freakin' rocket going up hill, that's for sure.
    echo that for sure.

Possibly both? To me, it just doesn't feel like a "do it all" bike. But that's not a bad thing. My rationale in thinking: this summer, I rode the GG Trail Pistola for a month, and thought it was a great bike. It climbed fairly well, and was super plush on the descents (and it would get better with a 140mm fork up front). I would be more than happy to have it as a one-bike quiver.
    I think the Ripley would be better with a 140 fork as well.

I have Ripleys in my demo fleet, and so I built one up pretty pimp (XX1, I-9 wheels, etc) and have been riding it fairly regularly. It climbs like a rocket, and is super efficient for climbing and longer days in the saddle. But it just doesn't have the same plush feeling as the GG on techy descents, despite very similar geo. I wouldn't want the Ripley as a one-bike quiver, I'd always want to have a bigger bike available for the rowdy/technical days, as the Ripley isn't as much fun in that kind of stuff.
    Yeah, I think it comes down to what type of rider / terrain. It's not the bike for someone looking to "send it". It's more of a pump, pop, and flow bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    That's interesting. Mine came with a 60 stem and I'm going to try shorter.

Yeah, I think it comes down to what type of rider / terrain. It's not the bike for someone looking to "send it". It's more of a pump, pop, and flow bike.
    I actually started with a 40mm stem (which is what I run on the Ripmo), and I switched it to a 50mm. I should have mentioned that originally.