Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Medical Cannabis is far from a reality..

I've gone down the Endo Cannabinoid rabbit hole for the last few years learning about my son's (and My) neuro developmental abnormalities specifically involving dopamine regulation and medication.

It's been really interesting. Ultimately what you discover is cannabis has over 500 organic compounds that interact with our endo cannabinoid system, but the specificity of what these active compounds trigger, and how they interact with the system is FAR from being understood, let alone isolated and used as real medicine.

In addition, the ratios of all of these compounds vary widely plant-to-plant, flower to flower, and through-out the growing process of the plant. This variance is significant enough to drastically alter how the ECS will react to a dose, or what the correct dosage might be. Until very recently, it has been virtually impossible to ensure a consistent medical product for any use other than general symptoms.

Dr. Meiri's lab at Technion in Isreal is the worlds most advanced lab for Cannabis production and study. He has some remarkable findings, experiences and insights into the realities and the potential of this miraculous plant.

For me personally it's been a bit of a bummer. The potential to treat neurological disorders that affect the Endo Cannabinoid system are profound. As parents we are looking at stimulant treatment as a last resort. As an Adult, myself and many others with Dopamine deficient systems have naturally gravitated towards self medication with Cannabis, and THC is a key (mimic) for the Dopamine receptor in the brain, and what few studies there are have shown 0 toxicity. However, due to the Federal prohibition and scheduling of Cannabis, research has been basically impossible for nearly a century. What is the oldest know medicinal plant on Earth was taken away from the medical and research community so John D Rockefeller could run ethanol and hemp paper out of the market, and they used racial fear and the media empire of WR Hearst to do it. 'Merica.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ioJbVyNg08&t=656s

reduce to schedule 2 and trials can begin en masse and we will find out exactly what can be used as medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    reduce to schedule 2 and trials can begin en masse and we will find out exactly what can be used as medicine.
    Forget "reducing" it - de-schedule the shit completely.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    However, due to the Federal prohibition and scheduling of Cannabis, research has been basically impossible for nearly a century. What is the oldest know medicinal plant on Earth was taken away from the medical and research community so John D Rockefeller could run ethanol and hemp paper out of the market, and they used racial fear and the media empire of WR Hearst to do it. 'Merica.
    You want in-depth discussion on that then read Martin Lee's Smoke Signals - https://www.simonandschuster.com/boo.../9781439127933

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Forget "reducing" it - de-schedule the shit completely.
    agreed.
    I suspect that if trials are carried out we will find out that a lot of the purported benefits are placebo effect but some will be real. The big if is trials--given the size of the recreational market and the fact that pharma won't be able to charge $10K per hit there seems to be little financial incentive for the cannabis industry to fund medical trials and the money has to come from somewhere.

Meanwhile, it does seem to work to get people high. And it helps me with sleep and anxiety.

Meanwhile, it does seem to work to get people high. And it helps me with sleep and anxiety.
    I can 2nd that.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I've gone down the Endo Cannabinoid rabbit hole for the last few years learning about my son's (and My) neuro developmental abnormalities specifically involving dopamine regulation and medication.

It's been really interesting. Ultimately what you discover is cannabis has over 500 organic compounds that interact with our endo cannabinoid system, but the specificity of what these active compounds trigger, and how they interact with the system is FAR from being understood, let alone isolated and used as real medicine.

In addition, the ratios of all of these compounds vary widely plant-to-plant, flower to flower, and through-out the growing process of the plant. This variance is significant enough to drastically alter how the ECS will react to a dose, or what the correct dosage might be. Until very recently, it has been virtually impossible to ensure a consistent medical product for any use other than general symptoms.

Dr. Meiri's lab at Technion in Isreal is the worlds most advanced lab for Cannabis production and study. He has some remarkable findings, experiences and insights into the realities and the potential of this miraculous plant.

For me personally it's been a bit of a bummer. The potential to treat neurological disorders that affect the Endo Cannabinoid system are profound. As parents we are looking at stimulant treatment as a last resort. As an Adult, myself and many others with Dopamine deficient systems have naturally gravitated towards self medication with Cannabis, and THC is a key (mimic) for the Dopamine receptor in the brain, and what few studies there are have shown 0 toxicity. However, due to the Federal prohibition and scheduling of Cannabis, research has been basically impossible for nearly a century. What is the oldest know medicinal plant on Earth was taken away from the medical and research community so John D Rockefeller could run ethanol and hemp paper out of the market, and they used racial fear and the media empire of WR Hearst to do it. 'Merica.
    Good luck & hope you can get things dialed in for your kid.

Your personal dopamine deficiency is on clear display here. It is well known that most online assholes behave the way they do because they get a dopamine rush from the responses to their behavior. So it makes total sense that you are a douchebag on TGR. You're basically acting like an asshat here because people replying to your asshole-ish posts help push your dopamine levels closer to 'normal'.

wish I had some now a week out from hip replacement and have stopped taking the percs. Getting by on Motrin.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Good luck & hope you can get things dialed in for your kid.

Your personal dopamine deficiency is on clear display here. It is well known that most online assholes behave the way they do because they get a dopamine rush from the responses to their behavior. So it makes total sense that you are a douchebag on TGR. You're basically acting like an asshat here because people replying to your asshole-ish posts help push your dopamine levels closer to 'normal'.
    Hold it. I lose track: Is DaveTV the douchebag or DaveVT? Or Both? I need maggot guidance.

Yeah, really, is it worth all the fatalities and destroyed lives? Oh, wait...

Nowhere near as safe as the billions of oxy pills that our corrupt society allowed to be distributed to millions and millions of people, right? Where was the research there?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Hold it. I lose track: Is DaveTV the douchebag or DaveVT? Or Both? I need maggot guidance.
    I think conventional wisdom says both.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    wish I had some now a week out from hip replacement and have stopped taking the percs. Getting by on Motrin.
    Jersey has medical, you could qualify, but your planning isn't exactly awesome.

Also, look into ibuprofen and your procedure, they didn't want me taking it when I fractured my shit as it supposedly interferes with bone healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think conventional wisdom says both.
    that's a big 10-4 ghost rider

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    DaveTV seems OK to me, other than the one time he kinda wigged out when I half revealed him as the person behind a once popular TGR alias account.

DaveVT is generally considered to be an all around cunt.

If it's not determined to be a patentable, EXPENSIVE TEMPORARY remedy big pharm will lobby to keep it off the market. I suspect half of the objective of these clinical trials is to attempt to find and document harmful side effects so they can get it banned again. We all know there aren't any worse than tobacco or alcohol, but those things can't really cut in to their hard drug sales the way pot can..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    DaveTV seems OK to me, other than the one time he kinda wigged out when I half revealed him as the person behind a once popular TGR alias account.

DaveVT is generally considered to be an all around cunt.
    By the ECRC Circle Jerk mostly. I'm just honest, and yes, I recognize some truth in what you say, but I don't think you have it quite right. People don't get dopamine releases for arguing. Adrenaline, sure, and that can become a substitute for Dopamine as it is also a neuro-transmitter that affects the Eno-cannabinoid system. I think the contrary nature folks with these dopamine issues can be know for are a result of NOT getting large dopamine releases for thinks like conformity, and social acceptance young people. We are genetically wired the give way less fucks about what people think about us and if we fit in neatly to their expectations. A real problem in grade 3. Not so much as an adult, but you'll never be that extroverted salesman douche bag type with lot's of casual friends either....another plus. The interesting reality is that the genetics exist because they are/were an evolutionary advantage....maybe before the age of political correctness over honest and concise interaction.

I suggest reading "Why We Sleep" if you are using Cannabis for a sleep aid. It does affect your sleep patterns in a negative way. Not as much as not sleeping obviously. It's a really good read regardless.

My kids doing well at home. We recently had a professional suggest some PTSD Symptomes as a result of what our local public school put him through from k-3, and many teachers don't really believe the science and are unwilling to accept the reality of brain development. Isolation, punishments, taking away his play time....if you can believe it, he's diagnosed with hyper activity as well as attention issues. In the right environment he's a little beast. He learns super fast, we typically do school for about 2 hours a day and play the rest, or he just does what he wants. He'll have work to do socially, but he's way more healthy as a human not having to deal with the public school system here in town.

Intense exercise triggers Dopamine, Adrenaline, and other kinds of "Feel Goods" in the brain. Once the brain is flooded with these, the affects last for a couple to several hours. Sports, and exercise addicts and risk takers all are likely to have abnormalities in their wiring, are not getting the triggers they need from their daily lives in the modern world, and are seeking stimulation. So far we have mapped 7 genes of an expected 25-30 that control the development of this system in our bodies and brains. For right now my kids pill is back flips and skinned laps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VideoCapture_20190802-083501.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	465.8 KB 
ID:	293691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190516_110555.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	293689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181116_111120.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	848.0 KB 
ID:	293690  
    Last edited by DaveVt; 09-11-2019 at 12:20 PM.

I suspect Big Pharma will dump, and likely is already, insane quantities of money into RnD, as will the public through research at Universities around the country. Currently all work is done at Ol' Miss and you have to be a deputized federal marshal to handle the "Drug".

CBD and it's interaction with the receptors for serotonin has potential for anti psychotic treatment. A lot of those drugs are coming off patent soon and a new wave of safer drugs derived from cannabinoids could replace them. It will be very difficult if not impossible for someone to home grow true medicine. You can use cannabis flower or concentrate medicinally, but there will be significant variance in the chemical make-up and affects of those products as I understand from the short TedTalk in the link. Isolating and identifying then reproducing synthetically, from my understanding, is the process that makes the jump from medicinal use of a plant, and medicine. This part of drug production is about where I have gotten so anyone with some insights on this would be welcome.

Cannabis kills some cancers within the therapeutic window. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7GOAdSX6qg

File this under D for Duh.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Dave, there are more than two threads on weed and these questions and points you bring up have all been discussed.

At the end of the day it's a plant. Everything within the grow cycle from seed to flower will have an effect on the end result which will obviously vary just like growing an apple or a tomato. And as stated, more research and studies need to be done. It's a largely unknown science at this point...kinda like the earth being flat. Still some unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Dave, there are more than two threads on weed and these questions and points you bring up have all been discussed.

At the end of the day it's a plant. Everything within the grow cycle from seed to flower will have an effect on the end result which will obviously vary just like growing an apple or a tomato. And as stated, more research and studies need to be done. It's a largely unknown science at this point...kinda like the earth being flat. Still some unknowns.
    Didn't see the threads, sorry. Just sharing what I found to be fairly widely ignored realities of the concept of medical cannabis via a couple short lectures from the world's leading expert. Feel free to disregard, i thought there was some provocative stuff in there.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Also, look into ibuprofen and your procedure, they didn't want me taking it when I fractured my shit as it supposedly interferes with bone healing.
    Thanks for the heads up Iceman. I will check into this. And there was no planning involved as due to an accident.

You're telling me....sheesh I live in an island of any kind of cannabis plant prohibition.

FFS, this state has wasted more time and taxpayer dollars over a damned plant anyone could grow in their backyard and will go after even dirt weed or hemp being hauled through the state because our legislators believe that if they allow hemp to be transported then it's just the "nose of the camel under the tent" for full legalization.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

I was told that when I broke my back. My kid, who's a surgery resident has done some research on this and tells me the evidence that it hurts bone healing is thin. I figured better to be safe, but I was on oxycodone for weeks, tapering off, and Tylenol.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    You're telling me....sheesh I live in an island of any kind of cannabis plant prohibition.

FFS, this state has wasted more time and taxpayer dollars over a damned plant anyone could grow in their backyard and will go after even dirt weed or hemp being hauled through the state because our legislators believe that if they allow hemp to be transported then it's just the "nose of the camel under the tent" for full legalization.
    Guys I knew in college harvested a bunch of hemp from the side of the road and couldn't figure out why they didn't get busted, or get high, or get anyone to buy it.