Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    i drove one of these in college

i used to joke that 4 of the cylinders were to run the A/C, which was pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    You don’t have 400 torques buddddd
    It has 738 lb-ft.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i drove one of these in college

i used to joke that 4 of the cylinders were to run the A/C, which was pretty awesome
    My neighbor had that when we were in High School. What a fuckin tank that thing was. We road tripped that thing all over the place wallowing down the road at like 70mph most of the time.

I like listening to the motor in my 06 Durango, now that the resonator fell off it makes all the right big V8 noises. I'm going to replace the muffler with something like a Thrush when it finishes rusting through which won't be too much longer, probably one more winter. The one thing I wish AMC had done when they were designing it is they should have used 1 timing chain not 3 It's a touch over 200k now so time do them and the cost to do new chains is half of what it's worth. By the time they're done with the other things that are going to be bad (by default) it would be what the thing is worth. Chances are it just gets driven into the ground which sux but it's probably the best way to deal with all of the gremlins anyway.

Wife's Ride-

525 Hp. 13 in town, 18-19 highway.
    Total beast, like driving your family room couch.

My toy-

AMC 304 8-9 mpg- everywhere.

Nice CJ5?....
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

'79 CJ7 w/ '93 YJ cage- kinda a mutt.

How long have you had that thing? Quite a while I know.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    How long have you had that thing? Quite a while I know.
    2004- I have only put 12,000 miles on it. It is the only vehicle I own that is going up in value every year.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Wife's Ride-

Whoa, that a Yeti?

Sick!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Whoa, that a Yeti?

Sick!!

It is actually a cooler and a casting platform.
    I'm firmly with SFB on this one. This thing is from about 2008, when Jose Wejebe was still alive and advertising them on Spanish Fly, way before the frat bros made them so cool.

I don't see a Costa or Salt Life sticker anywhere on that rig.

Are we sure you even fish?

I still call it The Jake.

Wife's Ride-

My toy-

AMC 304 8-9 mpg- everywhere.
    What'd you do to the Infiniti / Nissan to get that output? That's not stock for that motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Name:  7-3l-power-stroke.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  86.7 KB

Manufacturer Navistar International
    Also called Ford PowerStroke diesel
    Production 1994-2003
    Layout
    Configuration 90° V8
    Displacement 444 cu in (7.3 L)
    Cylinder bore 4.11 in (104.4 mm)
    Piston stroke 4.18 in (106.2 mm)
    Block material Cast iron
    Head material Cast iron
    Valvetrain OHV, 2 valves per cylinder
    Compression ratio 17.5:1
    Fuel system Direct injection and HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injection)
    Fuel type DieselCooling system Water-cooledPower output 175–275 hp (130–205 kW)Torque output 425–525 lb⋅ft (576–712 N⋅m)
    Dry weight 920 lb (417 kg)

The 7.3L Powerstroke established Ford Motor Company as the frontrunner in North American diesel truck market. Introduced in mid-1993 for the 1994 model year F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550, it had 210 horsepower, compared with Chevrolet/GMC’s 180 horsepower and Dodge/Ram’s 175 horsepower for the same year. It was produced for a decade, with power upgrades peaking at 275 horsepower. This put Ford at the front of the pack in terms of power until the Duramax LBZ surpassed the 7.3’s successor, the 6.0 Powerstroke. The 7.3L was built by International Navistar, closely based off their T444E industrial/commercial engine, a true medium duty commercial truck engine. The turbodiesel gained a legendary reputation as a reliable workhorse, and saw major popularity in the commercial and fleet industries. This fed demand that led to the production of over 2 million examples in both the International and Ford incarnations, found in school busses, dump trucks, tow trucks, bucket trucks, box trucks, ambulances, and many others. Over 2 million examples are still on the road. In the end, it was emissions that caused the 7.3L to be edged out by the 6.0L Powerstroke, but problems with the new engine caused widespread buyer’s remorse, loss of brand loyalty, and nostalgia for the much-loved original.

The 7.3L Powerstroke had a B50 life of 350,000 miles, or only 50% had major mechanical issues before 350,000 miles. For many owners the engine has proved to be a million mile motor. Interestingly, it is the largest displacement diesel ever sold in the North American three quarter- and one-ton light duty truck market. One of the major reasons for the 7.3L’s reliability was its low power relative to its size, similar to industrial engines. This reduced peak pressures under load, leading to less internal stresses and critical failures. The mean effective pressure, or average pressure over the course of the powerstroke, is 288 to 355 PSI. This is compared to 334 PSI for a less powerful 6.5 GM Diesel and 335 to 423 PSI for a Cummins 5.9L of the same years. Also, the 7.3L made peak power at a low speed: 2700 to 2800 RPMs, compared to 3200 to 3600 RPMs for the GM Diesel but on par with the Cummins engines. The lower pressures and rotational speed minimized stresses on the engine’s structure and wear on moving parts. Compared to early International Navistar engines produced for Ford, this was the first direct injected engine. International’s first engines for Ford were the 6.9L IDI and then the 7.3L IDI, both were indirect injected (the 7.3L IDI is not related to the 7.3L Powerstroke other than its displacement and V8 design). In these engines, fuel is injected into pre-combustion chambers before entering the main combustion space. This increased turbulence and promoted more thorough atomization, or fine mixing with the air. These engines needed a high compression ratio to aid with this process (21.5:1), but resulted in noisy running operation. With the improvements in fuel injection, direct injection into the combustion space was used and allowed a lower compression ratio (17.5:1). With a lower compression ratio, operation was quieter and had more power. All 7.3L Powerstrokes had a turbocharger, and by the mid-1999 model year intercoolers were fitted. These aspects in addition to its electronic fuel system made it a powerhouse for its day, though by today’s standards it is underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    What'd you do to the Infiniti / Nissan to get that output? That's not stock for that motor.
    Typo- Nice catch-425 hp I think. I would love to chip it, if they even make one for Infiniti, but I think she might kill me.
    My buddy has a 2011 Range Rover that is something like 510 hp. Took a short ride through an office park in that thing to get some groceries. I was having Paul Walker thoughts as my life flashed before my eyes. Too much juice for a ride that large and high.

V8 and bigger Engine car thread

My first car, at age 18 in 1976, was a 1966 Ford Mustang. 289 V-8 with a 3-speed on the floor. Bought it for $200 from a sailor who had orders to the USS Ranger. I drove it for a few months then got orders to Iran so I sold it for the same $200. Had vinyl seats which a previous owner had painted with latex house paint, using a brush. Also had air-shocks so you could jack the rear end way up in the air. Total POS.
    Name:  IMG_1863.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  19.0 KB

My second car was in 1979 when I got back from Iran. This thing was badass, a 1971 Mustang BOSS 351. I think that is the only year they made it. Only real problem were the mechanical lifters that needed to be adjusted every 15K. 351 Cleveland with a 4-speed on the floor. What a great time to be a young man. I don't remember what I paid, I do remember that I got a loan from the bank and my payments were $25 per month. This photo was the same green color as mine, looked exactly the same as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsName:  IMG_1865.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  80.2 KB
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^ awesome. college bud in mid-80s had a '67 convert 6 cylinder. Candy apple red black top and a skull & roses on the rear bumper. many, many great memories from that thing.
    "Can't you see..."

My buddy has a 2011 Range Rover that is something like 510 hp. Took a short ride through an office park in that thing to get some groceries. I was having Paul Walker thoughts as my life flashed before my eyes. Too much juice for a ride that large and high.
    Did you guys make it back from the grocery store? Or did the RR break down? RR to get you there. Land Cruiser if you want to get back.
    sigless.

Harry, check out the stang in this video yo. And a 928. And a Lotus esprit V8.

sigless.

That video is hilarious. Same year Mustang, but that is a Mach 1, and a different shade of green.

If I win the lottery the first thing I will do is find another Boss 351. So many good memories. Sold it because it got 4 mpg.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Harry, check out the stang in this video yo. And a 928. And a Lotus esprit V8.

That special was so great. Made me like the 928 even more.
    I still call it The Jake.

Not exactly a car but big @ 14,000 pounds and lots cylinders @ 10.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rv Triple E 010.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	293699

I had a '77 Plymouth Fury Wagon for a first car in HS. 318. Total beast. And a deathtrap. The steering was shot. You literally drove it like a boat by aiming for a point in the distance. I wrecked it. I managed to bend the frame, which was a task. My momentum carried me over the 10 foot embankment, through the tree several feet off the ground, and I carried the tree out into the field with me. A bunch of fenceposts came up through the floor. The farmer wasn't too happy his cows got out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Well not that anyone asked, but imo with a big-ass hemi this is about the ultimate from the period.

Attachment 293618
    I want the fukking Cuda!

Quote Originally Posted by apex dave View Post
    Not exactly a car but big @ 14,000 pounds and lots cylinders @ 10.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rv Triple E 010.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	293699
    I'll be havin a hoot of a time rallyin down some twisty two lane road in the mountains, when, right as the last passing area ends, I run into a line of cars, going slow, stuck behind something like this. ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! Fucking RVs!!!!!!!!!
    sigless.

Been watching a lot of Barn Find Hunter. I find myself dreaming about finding and restoring something old and American.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.