Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    I have a compressor and tire plug kits in all our vehicles (in addn to spare tire). Mtn bikers have a healthy appreciation for the snowball effect LOL.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Nobody driving a tesla knows how to change a tire.
    Eh, I own own and can change a flat. All you ding-dongs will have electric cars without spares soon enough anyways. My bigger worry is changing a 33" on my 9000 pound van in the middle of nowhere on an uneven muddy road, I'm not (overly) concerned about my Tesla.

Teslas have roadside assistance that covers flat tires up to 50 miles so those three Teslas were probably waiting for that - that is one way Tesla justifies no need for a spare. Why try to fix it when someone else will for free? I doubt the Sienna owners have that option, but I hope they have AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Our Sienna AWD came with run flats and no spare. Run flat options are too limiting, so replacements and snows have not been run flats. I’d prefer to have a spare, but I’ve willingly moved to carrying plugs and an inflator w/sealant.
    Well… This is TGR, you should treat your sienna with that 3” lift, 30s, and basket rack with a spare & a high lift Jack

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    FFS the disappearance of a spare tire began years ago…BMW etc. AAA says 30% of cars sold today have no spare. https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/artic...ing-spare-tire

There are biting criticisms of Teslas. This ain’t one of them.
    I've never owned a vehicle without a spare. Did not know it was a thing. That article mentions weight savings for fuel economy. Maybe fat Americans should just lose some weight too. I find it hard to believe a spare translates to that much savings, especially a doughnut. Probably averaging 2 mph slower would be more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I've never owned a vehicle without a spare. Did not know it was a thing. That article mentions weight savings for fuel economy. Maybe fat Americans should just lose some weight too. I find it hard to believe a spare translates to that much savings, especially a doughnut. Probably averaging 2 mph slower would be more beneficial.
    They are probably talking about the EPA requirements, which they have to hit, so that might get them over the line.

Saving $ in a low margin industry sounds more probable.

every 3-7 years sounds like a low estimate, but that’s gonna vary in where you drive and what tires - some of the past fuel efficient tires were extra flimsy and prone to flats.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Well… This is TGR, you should treat your sienna with that 3” lift, 30s, and basket rack with a spare & a high lift Jack

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I know. I see one driving around town regularly, and last time I had mine at the shop it was parked next to the lifted one when I picked it up. I assume they were trying to make me feel inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I know. I see one driving around town regularly, and last time I had mine at the shop it was parked next to the lifted one when I picked it up. I assume they were trying to make me feel inadequate.
    I used to do that with my lifted Outback. It got me bitch slapped really hard one time at an Alpine Valley Dead show. After a few tailgate beers I asked the guy if he thought his Outback might be sagging a bit. Well there was a girl sitting on the back at the time and her sister overheard me and thought I was saying his sister was fat. So she tapped me on the shoulder and clocked the shit out of me.

I had no idea why. My wife came over and chewed the shit out of her and she justified I deserved it because nobody calls her sister fat. She was but I hadn't noticed and didn't care. Wife pointed to our car and pointed out the lift and that I'm a dipshit car nerd and her face changed colors like mine had after the viscous slap.

I suppose I deserved it for being such an obstinate dipshit gearhead that I never thought my attempt at Subaru conversation would be interpreted that way. It ruined my afternoon for a couple hours.

Lesson learned. Nobody cares that my Outback has a lift. Though my stepson drives it now and he digs it.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Eh, I own own and can change a flat. All you ding-dongs will have electric cars without spares soon enough anyways. My bigger worry is changing a 33" on my 9000 pound van in the middle of nowhere on an uneven muddy road, I'm not (overly) concerned about my Tesla.

Teslas have roadside assistance that covers flat tires up to 50 miles so those three Teslas were probably waiting for that - that is one way Tesla justifies no need for a spare. Why try to fix it when someone else will for free? I doubt the Sienna owners have that option, but I hope they have AAA.
    To be fair, there were other cars with blown tires and bent wheels too. I don't think I'd want a car without a spare, I end up in places remote enough that it could be a real problem.

I can't remember the last time I got a flat on a car. Probably a work truck out in the boonies.

Last flat I had was after parking in the airport long term, returned to find a wood screw driven into the side wall i.e. not a normal flat.
    Pretty Sure I didn't ding my parking neighbor's side when first parked, but after 3 weeks and lots of milage and alcohol I wouldn't swear to it.
    Had to drive on the flat for 2 weeks, because un-repairable and no spare, before replacing it. Invested in an electric pump after 3 days.

Oh, and not an EV.

Millennials and tech moguls don’t need no stinking spare tires

Just saw a Rivian truck for the first time. Parked just a few blocks from my house.

And some people are probably better off having a car that doesn't have a spare. How many times have you seen people casually driving along at about 70 mph with a doughnut spare on? You know some of them are thinking "the car came with five tires: might as well use 'em all before buying a new one!"

I've actually seen cars with more than one spare mounted driving on the freeway; avoid them like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Just saw a Rivian truck for the first time. Parked just a few blocks from my house.

And some people are probably better off having a car that doesn't have a spare. How many times have you seen people casually driving along at about 70 mph with a doughnut spare on? You know some of them are thinking "the car came with five tires: might as well use 'em all before buying a new one!"
    Last time we had a flat in the family was when my wife ran over a truck’s chain tensioner that had fallen off (as an aside, how the fuck do they end up littering the road every single storm?). I just brought one of our ‘summer’ wheels/tires to swap it out. Having a spare wouldn’t have made a difference, I was heading out myself regardless.

I had a flat last summer from a screw.

Tore a sidewalk “wheeling” with our minivan one summer. That was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    To be fair, there were other cars with blown tires and bent wheels too. I don't think I'd want a car without a spare, I end up in places remote enough that it could be a real problem.
    Sounds like you were driving the Long Island Expressway in Suffolk County. I was on it Easter Sunday and passed at least a half dozen cars pulled over on the shoulder over a 15 mile stretch… all with flat tires. Road is horrible. Of course, some blame has to go to the idiots driving sports cars with low profile tires at 80+ mph.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

It would really be nice to see some reviews on Rivian charging for long trips when the get the max battery pack rolled out.

When my model 3 does not have tremendous range, I think 320 although with battery degradation it is probably down to a bit above 300, the fact that it can achieve that with a small battery pack (75kwh) makes it easy to add range on the road. As I've said here before it really only adds 15-20 minutes to the trip to Mammoth if I'm smart about things. Electrify America still does not have a charger in Mammoth Lakes, which would prove to be a nuisance as you would have to either have a charger in your garage, and we have not had a ski lease with a garage since 2009, or charge a bit more so that you have more battery in Mammoth just in case, then have a very long charge in Bishop on the way back that can't be avoided. Tesla has a charger right by the Grocery Outlet, and as we usually drive up on Friday morning I can get a few charging sessions in getting groceries and then coffee in the morning. This means I can usually leave Mammoth with around 50% battery, and given that the drive home is downhill I only need 2 10-15 minute sessions, and I can combine them with food, and I can get home with probably a 20-30% charge.

Last weekend I was able to make a few charging stops and left Mammoth with 75%, which is much higher than usual. A 5 minute stop in Lone Pine got me to Palmdale with around 15%, then 15 minutes there and I made it home to Newport with 30% if I recall.

While an R1S max pack will have a greater charge, I think 420 miles. But it takes a 180kwh battery pack to generate that range. If EA had a charger in Mammoth Lakes it might make it better than my car, without a charger there it would make things tough.

This makes the Fisker Ocean intriguing. If they CAN generate 350 miles of range with only 95 kwh, I don't know that the pack size has been confirmed, that would seem a good compromise. I don't need a large SUV, I really don't tend to like them. Having said all of that Fisker has not delivered any cars yet, so they are certainly behind Rivian and way behind Tesla.

If Tesla were to come out with an AWD model 3 with a bigger pack, like 125 kwh generating 450 miles of range, that would be nuts. I don't know how the math would work on that, obviously a heavier battery pack would reduce the miles/kwh equation even if range is increased, but I do love that the Model 3 can generate basically 4+ miles per kwh. The ability to charge fast has been huge for me.

There are several EA chargers on the way to Mammoth. They really need to get one in Mammoth Lakes.

I don't mind the looks of the R1T, I'm just concerned about the bed being big enough to carry the skis and surfboards I want. I would think that instead of a gear tunnel they would do better extending the bed to under the seats, the way the Sliverado is going to do. If they are going for the adventure sports market I would think they would consider that.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    If Tesla were to come out with an AWD model 3 with a bigger pack, like 125 kwh generating 450 miles of range, that would be nuts.
    Or any other manufacturer.
    Basically in America we need 500 mile range and more chargers, it’s pretty simple.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Basically in America we need 500 mile range and more chargers, it’s pretty simple.
    More chargers and faster chargers.

In California there really are a fair number of chargers. I do wish EA and Tesla would get on the same page, as has been said before in this thread. I do believe it is in their best interests to do so.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Quick google tells me median range of gas vehicles is 410 miles. EV is about 235.

Average commute is 16 miles and you can charge it in your driveway which cuts out an entire side trip.

Conversion to at least one EV vehicle per household seems like a no brainer but I’m one of those people who rents a uhaul periodically so I can drive a 40 mpg+ vehicle instead of a truck.

I put something like 33,000 on my Bolt in the just over two years that I owned it and I used the DC fast charger.... exactly zero times. Charged it at locations other than my house maybe a dozen times, and only a few of those were actually necessary (I'll take free charging anytime I can get it). I get that everyone's situation is different and I do think having one ICE around is still helpful... but yeah, most people need a lot less range than they think they need and underestimate just how damn convenient it is to daily an EV.

(As a side note since garages were mentioned above, obviously parking situations and ease of charger installation vary but not having a garage certainly doesn't preclude overnight charging. My Bolt was always charged outdoors, in all weather)

Fast chargers along driving routes are important of course but I'd really like to see Level 2 chargers be more ubiquitous in places where cars are typically parked for long periods of time. Ski areas should have rows of those fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Fast chargers along driving routes are important of course but I'd really like to see Level 2 chargers be more ubiquitous in places where cars are typically parked for long periods of time. Ski areas should have rows of those fuckers.
    QFT
    Ski areas should have rows of those fuckers.

If you have two cars there is no reason one of them shouldn't be an EV. For around town they are way more convenient than an ICE. I live in the middle of fucking nowhere and my EV is awesome. Once more towns have DC fast chargers the EV will be awesome for everything.

I think 350-400 mile range and fast charging will be more than sufficient for most people. Even less range is fine but winter and high speeds both hurt range so 300+ is necessary for lots of ski travel. Fat charging will make all the difference once there are more DC fast chargers everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

And some people are probably better off having a car that doesn't have a spare. How many times have you seen people casually driving along at about 70 mph with a doughnut spare on?
    I was surprised to see this S6 (2019?) has a spare. Wonder if some clown has pushed the doughnut to 155?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1651597465.690447.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	415200

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    QFT
    Ski areas should have rows of those fuckers.
    I was glad to see Sugarbush has 24 chargers across the two bases.