Page 35 of 72 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Ahh, makes sense. Me being the ignorant dreamer had assumed that chargers already read the battery state somehow and send whatever the right amount of juice needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ahh, makes sense. Me being the ignorant dreamer had assumed that chargers already read the battery state somehow and send whatever the right amount of juice needed.
    Yeah, I'm an idiot with this stuff also. My kid the electrical engineer dumbs stuff down when he talks to me. So now I watch youtube vids on electrical engineering and I'm more confused than ever.

Just with his job it sounds like charging has a lot of issues. Probably because of battery tech changing idk.

ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I want the Charger.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I'll fill in some details later, but in the end of July I drove my model 3 long range AWD from socal to Michigan. I drove back a couple of weeks later.

If anyone is wondering if it would be a nuisance to drive from socal to, say, Chicago, it is honestly really not bad at all. In fact, I could not believe how easy it was.

The drive was for a family trip, and I wanted to bring the dog and new I could budget some extra time. My wife flew, so it was just me doing the driving.

The route was up the 15, then jump on the 70 in Utah, connect with with the 76(I think) and then the 80. In Dubuque Iowa I headed north into Wisconsin, and then Michigan.

I really can't stress how easy the drive was, compared to my expectations. I was budgeting 450 to 500 miles a day. The chargers were nicely spaced, it was very easy to simply plan the route and follow the instructions. I found that the algorithms did a great job of predicting what charge I would end up with.

Effectively I would drive for 3 hours, then take a break to walk the dog, get a bite to eat, and relax. The typical stops were around 20 minutes. There were times when I could have done things more efficiently, but I just wanted to relax a bit at the stop.

I did lots of planning on A Better Route Planner beforehand, but honestly the 10 hours I spent could have been condensed into 2. I was much more worried than I needed to be.

The trip would really have sucked if the car wasn't fun to drive. I like road trips, but taking one in a car that sucks to drive is awful.

I'll fill in some details later. Stopped in lots of cool spots and lots of interesting ones. Colorado and Utah are great, until you go through Denver. Nebraska and Iowa were boring as all hell, no offense to anyone who lives in those places. I grew up in Poughkeepsie NY, so nowhere spectacular. Dubuque Iowa actually seemed pretty cool after Nebraska and Iowa.

I would avoid the Mexican place I stopped at in Grand Island Nebraska. It was pretty much the only thing open when I got there and I figured they couldn't screw up Mexican food too badly. I miscalculated. I fed the steak (allegedly) that was in the tacos to my dog. I consumed the tortillas, beans and rice because I was so hungry. Baked beans don't seem overly complex, yet apparently the cooks there had difficulty.

Lots of Super 8 motels are pet friendly, but it makes sense to call ahead to see if they have rooms available.

I can't stress enough that this drive was far easier than I expected. You would start to lose time if you had multiple drivers and were doing marathon drives. With one person the breaks were nice.

A rough estimate is that driving the Tesla added maybe 30 minutes to an hour to a 9 hour day, compared to driving an ICE. The 70 and 80 have plenty of charging stations. I really didn't mind the stops as I was the only one driving.

I'll add more info later, but if any of you are thinking about doing a summer road trip in Utah or Colorado and you will be on the 70, don't sweat it. This was far easier than I ever imagined it would be. Most of people I talk to can't believe I did the trip, they just can't see how it would be possible. But the charging infrastructure has really gotten great. A drive from Chicago to Denver would not be tough at all.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I mean, that’s cool and all, but I drove from Winthrop, WA to Jackson Hole with my BMW and stopped once. 2 6.5 hour segments.
    I really want an ecar, but JHC.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I mean, that’s cool and all, but I drove from Winthrop, WA to Jackson Hole with my BMW and stopped once. 2 6.5 hour segments.
    I wouldn't really call those trips all that comparable, to be honest. One trip is about 750 miles, the other is around 2250. I wouldn't have a problem pulling one 13 hour day like that, but I wouldn't want to do 3 as the only driver.

I did the drive in 4.5 days, basically 4 8-10 hour days and a 5-6 hour day. If I had wanted to do 3 13 hour days, then the Tesla would have slowed me down.

Like I said, with this kind of a drive I actually liked stopping. And the stopping every 3 hours part was really a decision. I could have charged more and stopped fewer times. Since I was the only one driving I liked the added rest. A one day drive is one thing, but after several days it does wear on you.

But the point is that it can be done, and without all that much of a loss of convenience. I should add that I didn't charge at any of the motels I stayed at. If I had done that it would have reduced the time a bit, and there were some options that had chargers, but I didn't feel the need to do so.

If you want to pull a 13 hour day, then the Tesla does slow you down a bit. But when you are doing essentially four 9 hour days in a row it is nice to take a break. I probably would estimate that the Tesla cost me around 45 minutes a day, and that might be an exaggeration, if I had really wanted it to be less it could have. Most of the chargers on the 70 and the 80 are in areas where there is at least a Subway, or somewhere to get some food. If you time it with that you really don't lose all that much.

If your goal is to simply travel 2200 miles as quickly as possible, then it will slow you down a bit, but not all that much. I have no interest in doing that kind of trip in 3 days. It is simply too much driving for one person, or at least for me. One day is a bit different.

My guess is that such a drive in a Tesla like mine would take an extra hour and a half. That type of drive actually shows the limitations of an electric car MORE than a 4 day trip, at least in my opinion. With a 4 day trip, you drive around 9 hours and spend an hour at stops, resting. If you want to do 3 days at 13 hours a day....That is where the EV limitations really come into play.

The Tesla is really not a limitation with Mammoth trips for me, or at least not a significant one. It probably adds 15-20 minutes to a slightly less than 6 hour trip. I can handle that. The one thing I don't like is that we usually drive up every other Friday morning around 5 am, meaning that it does cut into our ski day a bit. If we left in the early afternoon, we never leave after 4 pm on a Friday because the traffic is nuts, than the charging time wouldn't bother me at all.

Thanks for bringing up that trip though, it has me intrigued. That type of distance, and that type of time, really show the limitations of the EV accurately. If you plan it well the 340 mile trip from Orange County to Mammoth is not all that bad, and with planning you can drive to the midwest if you don't mind doing 500 mile days. But a 750 mile trip in one day is really exactly where the bad spot is. You could probably break that into two days, drive in the afternoon/evening, spend the night at a hotel where you could charge and then leave the next morning, getting to Jackson around 11 am or maybe noon. But if you want to do a one day marathon, that is tough.

I'm going to play around with a better route planner for that specific trip when I have some time.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Solid and intriguing TR, LDD.

Having just done an XC summer trip in a non EV, I was constantly on the lookout for EVs and charging stations on the trip as they are omnipresent where i live.
    I was shocked to see little to none, but I guess the they are there if you are looking for them, which is great to hear.

In a model 3 extended range you’d be talking about making 2, maybe 3 stops. Is that really a deal breaker for a trip you do how often? Your bladder will thank you too.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Having just done an XC summer trip in a non EV, I was constantly on the lookout for EVs and charging stations on the trip as they are omnipresent where i live.
    I was shocked to see little to none, but I guess the they are there if you are looking for them, which is great to hear
    I used to think there were only 2 in my town: in front of Fred Meyer and in front of Whole Foods (both right off the freeway). Then when I started thinking about buying an EV, I downloaded an app and discovered there are actually over a dozen public chargers, and a few Tesla (private) as well. They just aren't as obvious.

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    In a model 3 extended range you’d be talking about making 2, maybe 3 stops. Is that really a deal breaker for a trip you do how often? Your bladder will thank you too.
    Not in winter.
    Over 5 or whatever mountain passes.

I drive a shit ton. This weekend I drove to NE Oregon. Why would I stop if I don’t have to. I’m old and I still don’t have to pee until I have to get gas.
    Simply put, the infrastructure isn’t there yet.

I’m just impressed someone can legitimately sit in a car seat for 6.5 hours straight without a pee break.

We have really progressed the EV bar from “I can’t get one because I’m not sure I can drive to work and back without a charge” to “I can’t sit in it for 6+ hours straight, no thanks”.

Not in winter.

I drive a shit ton. This weekend I drove to NE Oregon. Why would I stop if I don’t have to. I’m old and I still don’t have to pee until I have to get gas.
    This is an fine example of the influence of oil propaganda and ignorance of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    This is an fine example of the influence of oil propaganda and ignorance of reality.
    No it’s not. You’re making a very strange assumption. I really don’t give a shit about you’re weird take. I bought a Prius instead when I wanted to buy a Tesla, because my 3 friends with them cannot drive them from Winthrop to Seattle (225 miles). Summer or winter. Fuck that. I followed a Tesla forum for a while and many Chicagoans reported 50% less range in winter. Maybe you don’t know this, but Chicago is flat.
    My friend lives near Chicago, and does not take his model X to his house in Wisconsin ~200 miles in winter because it won’t make it. There is one charger in Wenatchee which is 100 miles from Winthrop, I would have to stop there and kill a half hour (if that fucking thing is available), every trip which I do constantly. I work part time at a store and not one Tesla owner I have talked to has driven from Seattle to Winthrop without stopping for a minimum of 30 minutes. And they’re driving with a shit ton of charging anxiety. If they go Route 20 there are 2 chargers in Newhalem which is about half way, the only chargers over that whole drive.
    This isn’t some weird propaganda. And I am very sure of the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Solid and intriguing TR, LDD.

I was shocked to see little to none, but I guess the they are there if you are looking for them, which is great to hear.
    Honestly, I don't think I would have noticed many of the charging stations, if I didn't know where to look. In many cases they were at big gas stations, which would often have a convenience store or a Subway or something like that, but they were tucked away. They would have been easy not to notice if you didn't know where to look. In some cases I would get off the interstate and really have to search a bit.

In a couple of cases they were at rest areas. There is one in Utah that is at a museum....I think maybe Green Valley? I actually texted myself starting and ending charges, locations and times. I just need to put it together. Another one I stopped at in Utah was at a Marriott, or some other similar hotel. They tend to be a bit tucked away, in some cases I had to search a bit. I could see people not noticing them in many cases. In other cases I could see someone pulling in to get gas, and not noticing the Tesla chargers 30 yards away. In some spots they blend in.

But I was really stunned at how easy it was to cruise through Nebraska, eastern Colorado and Iowa. I thought those places might be limited, but it was pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, if you are going to do a trip A Better Route Planner and the map of chargers are very important resources, I just couldn't believe how easy it was.

I don't recall ever having any serious range anxiety. I think the lowest charge I ended with was something like 8%, but nothing was ever all that sketchy.

I should add that it was hot, so I was running the AC quite a bit. I might have run it a bit less if it was just me, but I wanted my dog to be comfortable. I'm sure I would have gotten slightly better range if the drive was not in the summer.

Not in winter.

The five mountain passes in the winter would certainly be an issue. The route to Mammoth is rarely all that cold until you get about 20 miles from Mammoth. Even then it is not that bad. You get limited range because you are climbing. The drive back is actually remarkably easy. I think I've left Mammoth with a 50% charge and only needed a 20 minute stop.

Just looking at the map of superchargers, there don't seem to be many in NE Oregon. Washington has a ton, and it seems like west Oregon has a good number, but NE Oregon seems limited. It is entirely possible that the infrastructure is not there where you are driving. It is where I live and drive and it certainly is on the 15, 70 and 80.

You could get from Winthrop WA to Portland pretty easily according to ABRP, at least at this time of year. I don't know about how it would be in the winter. Basically it would take 25 minutes of charging, which is really just adding a 15 minute stop to a trip that would normally have a 10 minute stop to fill up, piss and maybe grab a drink.

How cold is it where you are? Chicago is quite a bit colder than Seattle, but I don't know your area so I don't know how it would compare.

If you are doing a ton of long trips and you really want to minimize the stops, then an electric car might not be for you yet. When I'm on the Rivian forums I'm always telling people that I DO need the max battery pack because of the Mammoth trips I take. But I think many people are simply not aware of just how far EVs have come. If someone lives in Denver they really don't have to worry much about skiing on the I70 if they plan things well.

Just curious about where you are going in NE Oregon? Sorry if I'm being nosy, but just looking at the map that area seems not to have many chargers. Southeast Washington and NE Oregon seem to not have many around.

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    but just looking at the map that area seems not to have many chargers. Southeast Washington and NE Oregon seem to not have many around.
    This.

I live in Winthrop, WA. It’s fucking cold. It’s the largest cross country ski network in North America. It’s 2 mountain passes in winter to Seattle.

As I said before, infrastructure isn’t there. FYI, I drove from Winthrop to Owhyee, OR. this weekend. Actually, Owhyee dam, which is 24 miles from Owhyee.

I don’t like the oil industry.

Continuing to watch this, and waiting to see somebody tell me there’s an EV that can make a 230 mile round trip on snow covered roads when it’s 0 degrees outside.
    focus.

Joined the club by getting an Ioniq 5 last week. Super fun to drive. I make an almost weekly trip from Ogden to just south of Jackson, WY and the only reason I was able to get the vehicle was the new addition of the Electrify America charger in Evanston. The property I goto has no winter access via car so I'm not sure how this works in the Winter and will probably have to drive my F150 with the snowmachine in the back - Unless I can find a local willing to let me park at their place and charge while also leaving my snowmachine behind - which is asking for trouble when you post something like that in Wyoming lol.

One thing that needs to happen is more DC fast charging in rural places. Wyoming is a desert for non tesla charging pretty much anywhere. It has a grand total of 2 DC fast chargers (>50kw) that are CCS. Luckily the current administration is plowing money into this because I don't really think it's economically viable for rural areas to install these at the moment. I'm sure in time they will come, but for now it's going to be a bit dicey. I literally have no plan B between Kemmerer (11kw tesla destination charger) and Bondurant. There are always RV parks in La Barge, Big Piney and Marbleton and I should probably approach them about getting on plug share and setting up a model to attract EV drivers but I doubt it'd drive much business.

and god dam do I want that canoo.

Roadside rescue charging is going to be a big business soon, if its not already.

https://www.setec-power.com/emergenc...arging-system/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...obile-charger/

Electrics may not be to the point where they work for everyone but I think a whole lot of people that conclude that they are in this camp would be surprised to learn how mistaken they are and just how well they work day in and day out. For me the inconvenience of a few rare trips is easily outweighed by how awesome my 3 is 95% of the time. Driving an ICE for most people is analogous to putting up with commuting every day in a Ford F250 just in case they need to go to Home Depot sometime to pick up a sheet of plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    Electrics may not be to the point where they work for everyone but I think a whole lot of people that conclude that they are in this camp would be surprised to learn how mistaken they are and just how well they work day in and day out. For me the inconvenience of a few rare trips is easily outweighed by how awesome my 3 is 95% of the time. Driving an ICE for most people is analogous to putting up with commuting every day in a Ford F250 just in case they need to go to Home Depot sometime to pick up a sheet of plywood.
    yeah. A lot of the facebook commenters and culture warriors can't quite square up with the fact that you can own an EV but also own an ICE truck for hauling shit where you drive that truck the 5% of the time you need it. They also fucking love the idea that we use coal to produce power ignoring the fact that it's more efficient to have one fossil fuel plant providing the energy to move thousands of vehicles vs thousands of less efficient engines moving thousands of vehicles.

they also think all dc fast chargers are powered by diesel engines cleverly hidden out of frame lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Continuing to watch this, and waiting to see somebody tell me there’s an EV that can make a 230 mile round trip on snow covered roads when it’s 0 degrees outside.
    FWIW - I drive an EV school bus at 8000' in 0 deg weather and the range is typically 2/3-3/4 of normal. I can understand plugboots hesitancy, but a blanket 50% reduction in range is not inherently true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    As I've posted before in this thread I lost about 15% of my range in the winter (compared to what I got in the summer) in my Bolt, running snow tires. Whether or not there was snow on the road didn't noticeably affect range, just the cold weather and tires. Not anywhere near 50% reduction. Now I'm also going to assume that on a 230mi trip you're also going to be traveling freeway speeds which is also going to reduce your range from the EPA rated estimate. For me that was about a 10% reduction. So you want maybe 25% more rated range than your actual 230mi trip, so anything rated at around 300mi nominal range should do it.

Quite a few options currently available that hit that. Not too many budget options though - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    This. I don't own an EV anymore because I don't drive most days anymore but when I was... the EV was just soooo much better for daily driving than any other vehicle I've owned, and I've owned a bunch. They're not going to meet every single need of every single person but the vast, vast majority of people want to go short to moderate distances from point A to point B with minimal fuss and EVs are so good for that.

NE Oregon, long dirt roads in N NV, these are examples of what we use our diesel 4x4 van (530+ mile range) for. But I fully support govt infrastructure investment to get decent charging in these remote areas. I’ve seen over the years small rural towns lose their single gas station (often just two pumps outside the single small grocery store) which means, ironically, range anxiety unless you know a local rancher with a diesel storage tank.

Yet all these remote areas have electricity. I’ve posted it before but I only recently realized that for a daily driver, a resident in these remote areas would find a BEV to be the most convenient option if they had a decent home charger.