Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This. ICE vehicles still have their place, but EVs are massively better at the daily driving that most people do the other 355 days of the year that they're not doing road tripping vacations loaded down with stuff.
    This is why I love the idea of PHEVs with 30+ miles of all electric range, as mentioned above by several others. Vast majority of our driving in wife's car is under 10 miles a day. Once a week, it might be 20-30 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Why you little scuzzbag!

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    This is why I love the idea of PHEVs with 30+ miles of all electric range, as mentioned above by several others. Vast majority of our driving in wife's car is under 10 miles a day. Once a week, it might be 20-30 miles.
    The thing I dislike about PHEVs is that you don't get the no maintenance benefits of a full EV. In some ways it's the best of both worlds, but in other ways it's the worst of both.

We're in the opposite boat where my wife has a very long commute 3 days a week (150mi/RT) and that commute could get even a little longer. At $5/gal for gas even driving our more efficient car it's a full on butt raping at the pump a few times a week. I just want a better selection of AWD EVs with reasonably long ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The thing I dislike about PHEVs is that you don't get the no maintenance benefits of a full EV. In some ways it's the best of both worlds, but in other ways it's the worst of both.
    Yeah agree. I think the best ‘hybrid’ approach is a BEV for urban (and in my case, most skiing trailheads) and a diesel truck or van for road tripping.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I know BMW sort of tried and failed with a similar concept but an electric car with something like a 15 hp microturbine with maybe a 5 gallon fuel tank would be badass.

Most of the time you don't bother with the gas boost at all, but on a long trip change modes and you have 500 miles all weather range with a full charge. (300 battery plus 200 gas boost). A Tesla like trip computer that would use the turbine when most appropriate and efficient...like running the turbine flat out on hills or to boost the battery occasionally on a flat road.

Yeah you have to charge and fuel but most people are spent after 500 miles and need a few minutes anyway.

Great reading here lately. I loved the Rivian off road video.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

We will see how this all shakes out.

Tesla is apparently planning to open their stations to non-Tesla vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2022/07/07/tesla...a-evs-us-year/

I'm not sure how all of this is going to work, but for me this would be great for Mammoth. In fact, this could push me to purchase a Rivian/Lucid, ironically enough.

There is not yet an EA charger in Mammoth Lakes, so when I play around with ABRP for a max pack R1T I always want to end up in Mammoth lakes with a 25% charge. This then requires a long charge in Bishop on the way home, or possibly two charges.

With the Tesla, as I have posted in this thread in the past, I can buy groceries at Grocery Outlet, get coffee at the Looney Bean, or do other little errands while I charge on our Mammoth Trips. This means that I can arrive in Mammoth lakes with a 10% charge, and know that I will still be able to charge there while doing errands and eventually leave on Sunday afternoon with probably at least a 50% charge, possibly more. This freedom is what allows me to arrive in Mammoth Lakes at around 10%, which means less charging on the way up. I've gotten it to where It is usually a 15 minute charge and a 10 minute charge if I leave Newport with 90%.

With the Rivian I always looked at this as a potential problem. Since I couldn't charge in Mammoth I wanted to arrive with at least a 25% charge, which means more charging on the way up, which is a nuisance if I'm driving up in the morning as it cuts into my ski day. But if I can get a charge in Mammoth Lakes then I can arrive with a 10% charge with no problems, the way I can with a Tesla.

So the ironic upshot is that Tesla opening charging stations could actually facilitate the purchase of non-Tesla EVs.

My guess is that it will still make money for them. With lots of EVs coming out Tesla can probably make lots of money off of their charging network by allowing non-Tesla vehicles. My guess is that they will charge some sort of premium, which is completely understandable.

Let's hope this is the first step in the adoption of a more uniform charging protocol.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

So the obvious upshot is that Tesla opening charging stations could actually facilitate the purchase of non-Tesla EVs, which is why Tesla waited until there was a government program that would compensate Tesla big-time for significantly improving EV infrastructure
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    FIFY.

However it comes about, if this goes through it is a good thing. This is actually the role government is supposed to play, although it does not always work out that way.

You can actually charge a Tesla at an EA location if you have the adapter. I have never done that myself.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Over the 4th of July WE there were lots of Tesla's waiting to charge at the local Fred Meyer here in Bend. Not sure how many charging stations. Maybe 10 total. People just waiting to get their chance to plug in. Tesla just put in a maintenance facility on the North end of town. Getting that charging station network built out seems to be a bottleneck?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Over the 4th of July WE there were lots of Tesla's waiting to charge at the local Fred Meyer here in Bend. Not sure how many charging stations. Maybe 10 total. People just waiting to get their chance to plug in. Tesla just put in a maintenance facility on the North end of town. Getting that charging station network built out seems to be a bottleneck?
    It really depends where you go.

There is a charging station in Irvine that is often packed. Part of the reason is that there are several office buildings nearby, as well as an LA FItness, a Mother's Market, a Starbucks and several restaurants. It is also relatively slow, 72 kwh as opposed to the 150 kwh and 250 kwh high speed ones.

Lots of other charging stations in the area are not quite as bad. There is one in Fountain Valley that is usually somewhat crowded, but rarely full. The Irvine one I mentioned is tough simply because of the location. Lots of people use that shopping center and it makes sense to get a charge while you are there.

Most of the charging stations on the way to Mammoth are not crowded. Obviously these are small towns, most of the people using them are travelers and not locals. The one in Inyokern is rarely crowded

Lots of stations are moderately full in socal. It really depends on where you go.

Tesla does need more stations. So does EA. In some places the problem is bigger than in other places.

I think you are going to see more and more chargers in apartment communities.

Just curious, is that station usually crowded to your knowledge? The weekend of the 4th is bound to be a tough one. I'm just wondering if this is a chronic issue or if it was particularly bad because of the 4th.

Has anybody heard, read, or researched the concept of the future being e cars for peeps and cng for long haul trucks as a stair step towards long haul movement of goods becoming fully electric?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Has anybody heard, read, or researched the concept of the future being e cars for peeps and cng for long haul trucks as a stair step towards long haul movement of goods becoming fully electric?
    I’ve heard of a few different options for long haul: CNG, fuel cells, synthetic fuels produced from green electricity (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...21.707867/full)

I’m thinking synthetic fuel is most likely, and could also be used for aviation. (But that’s based on no research at all.)

I have not. . but I did have a farmer near me own a cng powered pickup truck for about a dozen years.. Lots of use and he kept it until it rusted too much.. Good for most use but not much torque or pulling power if he needed it to pull some wagons full of grain.. His next truck was ice.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

https://www.transportdive.com/news/T...drogen/610283/

I remain unconvinced that lithium ion can make a dent in any trucking other than short haul. But OTOH, solid state batteries with twice the energy density appear to be in the 3-4 yr range now….

I believe some big oil is getting into the cow poop juice conversion to cng for diesel trucks.

Bought one today. Ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 the day I accepted an engineering job and gave notice at the E Bike shop in January. Got a call on Monday telling me it might show up this week but more likely next week. I got a call today telling me it was just being unloaded, I could pick it up tomorrow. I told him today was better because I was going for a 270km drive and it would be better in a new car instead of a Tacoma. Dealer called back telling me I could be prepped by 4 today but might not have a full charge. I picked it up with 77% charge and thought, fuck it, let's see what happens. I started driving pretty mellow thinking I should conserve juice to make my destination but once on the twist road outta Kelowna I couldn't contain my heavy foot. By my guesstimate and info on the dash I figured I'd make it, I arrived with a full 20km to spare.

First impressions. Smoked some dude in a vw gti off the lights in vernon, that was fun. On bumpy, choppy twisty 90kph highway at 130kph it was a little out of it's league but not so bad that I was scaring my wife (at least 20kph faster than I typically drive my Tacoma through sections). My dog doesn't like it because when I pinned it to pass he kept falling over. Passing is great, no screaming motor just, pow, and you're stuck to the seat.

I went over 2 passes and got 285km out of 69% charge (8% left on arrival) while driving it like I was being chased, I think it'll do. It should have enough range to make Vernon to Vancouver on a charge. My biggest gripe is that the speedo is off to the left behind my left hand, not dead center where it belongs. Lots of high tech shit and info on the 2 dash screens, kind of a pain in the ass, I'm old and like dials and buttons, less shit to go wrong.

So after 285km I give it a big shit eating grin.

It's lucid blue pearl.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220715_202441.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	421604
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Congrats! Awesome trip report.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Hyundai over the last 5 years has really stepped up in the design and feature department. I think they have surpassed Toyota at this point.

Electric car thread

If we were to replace the wife’s Elantra wagon, that’s where I’d lean. Far fewer recall notices than the Chevy or Toyotas as well. X2 kudos for the report.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 07-16-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Bought one today. Ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 the day I accepted an engineering job and gave notice at the E Bike shop in January. Got a call on Monday telling me it might show up this week but more likely next week. I got a call today telling me it was just being unloaded, I could pick it up tomorrow. I told him today was better because I was going for a 270km drive and it would be better in a new car instead of a Tacoma. Dealer called back telling me I could be prepped by 4 today but might not have a full charge. I picked it up with 77% charge and thought, fuck it, let's see what happens. I started driving pretty mellow thinking I should conserve juice to make my destination but once on the twist road outta Kelowna I couldn't contain my heavy foot. By my guesstimate and info on the dash I figured I'd make it, I arrived with a full 20km to spare.

First impressions. Smoked some dude in a vw gti off the lights in vernon, that was fun. On bumpy, choppy twisty 90kph highway at 130kph it was a little out of it's league but not so bad that I was scaring my wife (at least 20kph faster than I typically drive my Tacoma through sections). My dog doesn't like it because when I pinned it to pass he kept falling over. Passing is great, no screaming motor just, pow, and you're stuck to the seat.

I went over 2 passes and got 285km out of 69% charge (8% left on arrival) while driving it like I was being chased, I think it'll do. It should have enough range to make Vernon to Vancouver on a charge. My biggest gripe is that the speedo is off to the left behind my left hand, not dead center where it belongs. Lots of high tech shit and info on the 2 dash screens, kind of a pain in the ass, I'm old and like dials and buttons, less shit to go wrong.

So after 285km I give it a big shit eating grin.

It's lucid blue pearl.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220715_202441.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	421604
    Hell yeah!!

I got it's sister car, the Kia EV6 in February and LOVE it!

Putting aside the other reasons why auto journalists like the Hyundai/Kia BEVs, I appreciate the fact they use design language that says ‘futuristic but low key’ rather than ‘because this is a BEV we will make it ugly in wacky ways’.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Putting aside the other reasons why auto journalists like the Hyundai/Kia BEVs, I appreciate the fact they use design language that says ‘futuristic but low key’ rather than ‘because this is a BEV we will make it ugly in wacky ways’.
    Name:  Image1658071149.780417.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  87.9 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Hell yeah!!

I got it's sister car, the Kia EV6 in February and LOVE it!
    Do either of you have the AWD or RWD versions? Curious to hear snow driving and winter range experiences.

Mine is RWD, it weighs about the same as my Tacoma so it should be pretty solid in the snow with some good rubber. It has snow mode, I think it limits the torque. Turn off traction control and it could be fun, I'll know in a few months. Just put my first full charge in it and it said 470km range driving as it has been driven, my wife would probably get over 500km.