Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Electric car thread

This is overdue. Bikes have their own thread for a while now. And need to seperate the musk shitshow thread from all the mfgs coming out with battery cars now.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...agship-s-class
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've got Tesla fever, I want one bad - but I don't want to lay out that much cash, even for a used one. I'm not that crazy about other EVs on the market since they do not have the same range, autopilot capabilities, charging infrastructure, or safety accolades. In other words, it's cool to be electric, but Teslas are way cooler because of all the other futuristic shit they have. E-tron, Taycan, Leaf, etc don't hold a candle to Teslas - except that they have a much better dealer network and mechanics/parts/bodyshop availability.
    Rivian looks super cool, but that's vaporware until they've been on the road a few years. Until then they are concept cars and more likely to end up like Fiskers on the scrap heap of what coulda been.
    I'm stoked that Ford is (reportedly) close to releasing an all electric F-150. More F-150s are sold annually than almost any car, so this could make a nice wedge in the market. I work next to a huge Intel facility full of "knowledge workers" wityh soft hands and no mud on their boots, but the lot is packed with big pick ups and SUVs - convert enough of those drivers to electric without taking away their big trucks and that's good news for the climate and noise pollution.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Just here to post in this soon to be epically contentious thread.

Samesies brah
    Decisions Decisions

Baker does it best....

Name:  1FC22DF4-1229-41FE-A6E4-D397407A2895.jpeg
Views: 4751
Size:  213.5 KB

steep, surely this is all just a lefty conspiracy to get us all in clean cars that will destroy the economy and turn us into communists? Right? The V8 thread for real americans is nearby.
    sigless.

Still can't wrap my head around the idea of a British electric car. Similar for VW, those often have weird electrical issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Still can't wrap my head around the idea of a British electric car. Similar for VW, those often have weird electrical issues too.
    That is pretty funny. Triumph motorcycles are notorious for that nightmare also.

heh, imagine a british electric car wtih lucas electronics.... Would work better as a paperweight. That said, my v8 thread is just for kicks, the future is clearly electric. So much better from many angles, launching torque, maintenance, drivetrain simplicity, etc...

Tesla racing channel. Dude smokes everything in sight.
    sigless.

Just bought a Leaf to go with our XC70. I don't love it but I dislike it less than I expected. I do love how little it should cost to run. $17.5k after rebates and incentives. Wife can charge for free at work.

Supposedly there are a number of all-electric SUV's coming on the market in the next few years. I'm looking at something around 2021 or so.

I work from home, so no commute. My wife has a very short commute. We go to Mammoth 2, sometimes three times a month. Most of the mileage on my car in a given year is from those Mammoth trips, so I do need something that will charge in a reasonable amount of time. Tesla has charging stations in several places on the way up to Mammoth, the real question is how much time it will add to the trip. We are often able to leave for our weekend trips on Friday morning, I am used to leaving at 4 am, but it would suck to have to leave early in order to get the same amount of time on the hill. If we can't get out in the morning, but can get out around 130 in the afternoon on Friday that is fine, a charging stop does not cut into my ski time at that point and I don't mind a stop if I am outside of the LA basin, above the traffic. If we can't get out by 2 on Friday we usually leave at 4 am on Saturday, once again I don't like the idea of having to get up earlier on Saturday, or lose some ski time. We are planning to take our house solar soon, so just about all of my local miles will be from solar energy at home, but I do hope things improve to the point where I can make things work for the Mammoth trips.

In case anyone is interested, here is a map of the Tesla charging stations.

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&sea...charger&zoom=9

Here is some info on Tesla supercharging stations and other electric cars:

https://thedriven.io/2019/04/03/can-...a-ev-chargers/

I do hope the industry starts to settle on some things soon. It would be really nice to be able to get one of the new SUVs coming out and use a Tesla supercharging station. I would think that it would be in Tesla's best interests to get others on board with using their superchargers, they already have a ton of them, it might be a good stream of revenue as electric cars become bigger and bigger.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    heh, imagine a british electric car wtih lucas electronics.... Would work better as a paperweight.
    Exactly.

A buddy cracked up his Tesla. Six months to get body parts.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    heh, imagine a british electric car wtih lucas electronics.... Would work better as a paperweight.
    That was funny.

I could see myself in an e-car if it has long range and can be fast charged without having to go out of my way to find a fast charger. I have days where I do 4-600 miles with 3-5 stops so if any of those stops of an hour or more can be charging stops it starts to make more sense even if they're not fast chargers.

the real question is how much time it will add to the trip
    Answer: A metric kilowatt shit ton. My 2 friends that have Teslas in the Bay Area do not take them to Tahoe. Typically another car is in all the stations they want to use, so...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

battery life when in sub-zero temps and you want to heat you vehicle’s interior....?

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Answer: A metric kilowatt shit ton. My 2 friends that have Teslas in the Bay Area do not take them to Tahoe. Typically another car is in all the stations they want to use, so...
    That is what scares me.

Here is an article on road tripping with a Tesla:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/.../#1366f4e87a7f
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    That is what scares me.

I read another one about a guy who wanted to prove you could drive cross country in a Tesla. Woah, what a pain in the ass. He only could do it because he had nothing but time. A few times he drove way out of his way and basically hung out or slept in the car till he could get a charge, then went to a hotel.
    I drive 230 miles over 2 mountain passes in the winter a lot. So for me the tech is almost there, but...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    That is what scares me.

Great article

"19,044 viewsAug 20, 2019, 05:00am
    How Technology Is Helping To Write Media And Entertainment’s New Script"
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Looked into a Leaf, but got better deal on a TDI. If I lived in town owning an ebike and e car would be high on my list.

Keep the truck/awd wagon for skiing. Would do all charging at home.

I intrigued by the planned electric VW bus. I.D. Buzz. Ugly as sin, but I like that. However, it is a VW, so it's something I would only want to drive under warranty unless I had enough money not to care. The specs are pretty cool.

my sisters father in law has a Tesla, he had to wait in no where's ville texas while it recharged on a trip from Houston to Austin and back with my sister and her son waiting with him, Austin is less than 200 miles from Houston.

yep, electric cars are great.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Planning is not his strong suit eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Planning is not his strong suit eh?
    he's still got to charge again in that kind of trip and load capacity on a Tesla means everyone waits as opposed to gas vehicles, unless you want to see another Tesla blow up; you could try increasing the load rate then.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !