Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1779
    Sounds like low gear boxes for EVs are being patented by Rivian

https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian...r-off-road-evs

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Sounds like low gear boxes for EVs are being patented by Rivian

https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivian...r-off-road-evs
    835 ponies. Sweet baby Jesus. Who cares if it's 7000 lbs. That's crazy.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I think some of you guys need to go actually drive an EV.

Electric motors don't have gears, they never will. "Coasting" in an EV doesn't feel like coasting in an ICE car. There is always some resistance from the motor. ICE cars "take off" going downhill if you don't force them into low gears because the transmission will want to upshift to lower engine RPM and you'll lose the resistance from the engine. An electric motor can't do that because it doesn't have higher gears to go into. You push on the pedal and go faster, you lift off the pedal and you slow down due to resistance from the motor (even when you're not in regen mode).

Seriously just put the car in regen mode and modulate the engine braking by modulating the throttle. It's not as complicated as you're all making it out to be.

You could very well be right adrenalated, however it's sort of mute for me as I need something to haul the camper with. Thanks for weighing in though. A friend has a Rivian so I'll ask to take it for a rip.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

The Wyoming Nature Conservancy has a Rivian (donated by Rivian). The ranch managers love it. They say they've tried to get it stuck - and can't. It also crawls up and down steeps better than anything they've driven. Definitely go try one for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I think some of you guys need to go actually drive an EV.

Electric motors don't have gears, they never will. "Coasting" in an EV doesn't feel like coasting in an ICE car. There is always some resistance from the motor. ICE cars "take off" going downhill if you don't force them into low gears because the transmission will want to upshift to lower engine RPM and you'll lose the resistance from the engine. An electric motor can't do that because it doesn't have higher gears to go into. You push on the pedal and go faster, you lift off the pedal and you slow down due to resistance from the motor (even when you're not in regen mode).

Seriously just put the car in regen mode and modulate the engine braking by modulating the throttle. It's not as complicated as you're all making it out to be.
    I don't know what you're driving bug my Ioniq 5 coasts forever if I lift my foot off the go pedal and have no regen on. Negligable motor resistance.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Yeah, there's definitely differences in implementation. The Porsche/ VWs coast. Some BMWs have the option.

The logic is that it's impossible to recuperate 100% of the energy expended, so when gravity will propel the vehicle at a constant speed, let it. Same goes for momentum and a slow decay.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I don't know what you're driving bug my Ioniq 5 coasts forever if I lift my foot off the go pedal and have no regen on. Negligable motor resistance.
    Incorrect. While most EVs don't, the taycan has a 2 speed gearbox and they'll likely be common for overdrive type scenarios as while EVs have great torque at zero rpm, they have shitty power up high.

No. Not incorrect. I know this from experience in my own car. A permanent magnet synchronous motor will spin free if not loaded. The only resistance is the bearings.
    You are what you eat.

I'm curious - if you're coasting down a hill can it hold a speed using regen? Is hill descent control a thing with EVs? To me it makes total sense to hold a speed if I lift off the throttle.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

When driving down a hill you have options. No regen, no brakes, go like hell. Regen set to the best level to control speed (mine has 0-3 + I pedal). I have paddles to control regen if I choose to. Or I pedal, one pedal driving. If I let off the go pedal completely my car will stop. Driving I pedal is my go to, I rarely touch my brake pedal.

The most efficient way to drive is go slow, accelerate slow and never brake, just coast to a stop. Realistically that is impossible, with no regen its the equivalent of throwing your ICE in neutral and expecting to slow down before you smash something, run a light.... I drive I pedal almost always except on long decents.
    My car has a power indicator that tells if I'm expending or regenerating power. Regeneration is good only in that it captures kinetic energy as it slows you. There are losses in the transfer from motion to battery in your generator (motor) and inverter so you don't get all your energy back but it's better than all going to heat as with an ICE car.
    You are what you eat.

No. Not incorrect. I know this from experience in my own car. A permanent magnet synchronous motor will spin free if not loaded. The only resistance is the bearings.
    I quoted the wrong post. I was talking about gears. You're correct in that how much resistance there is when you let off the pedal can be 0-100

Regen is a good idea and might work great but it sucks when the car in front of you never has brake lights come on so you have no idea what it's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Regen is a good idea and might work great but it sucks when the car in front of you never has brake lights come on so you have no idea what it's doing.
    Isn’t that the same as if someone is not braking but downshifted?

You obviously don't spend much time in urban stop and go traffic.

Perhaps this may shed some light on the subject:
    https://www.greencarfuture.com/elect...n-brake-lights

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

^ Yup, on a lot of models very low speeds don't trigger the lights and once the vehicle is stopped like when making a left turn there are no brake lights unless the driver puts a foot on the brake pedal so your brain thinks the car is moving (albeit slowly) until it's almost too late to stop.

When driving down a hill you have options. No regen, no brakes, go like hell. Regen set to the best level to control speed (mine has 0-3 + I pedal). I have paddles to control regen if I choose to. Or I pedal, one pedal driving. If I let off the go pedal completely my car will stop. Driving I pedal is my go to, I rarely touch my brake pedal.

The most efficient way to drive is go slow, accelerate slow and never brake, just coast to a stop. Realistically that is impossible, with no regen its the equivalent of throwing your ICE in neutral and expecting to slow down before you smash something, run a light.... I drive I pedal almost always except on long decents.
    My car has a power indicator that tells if I'm expending or regenerating power. Regeneration is good only in that it captures kinetic energy as it slows you. There are losses in the transfer from motion to battery in your generator (motor) and inverter so you don't get all your energy back but it's better than all going to heat as with an ICE car.
    Sounds like Hyundai gives you a lot of control. I'd expect regen to be most useful in mountain country with long descents.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I only have experience with battery motorcycles, and the operating modes can be changed, similar to cars for snow, mud, sand, etc. I don't know if all modes change the regen, but the Canyon mode on motorcycles certainly does. The engine braking in that mode is aggressively strong. It was actually bitchin'! No braking needed. So smooth.

The brake lights do come on in my car when the deceleration is at or above the rate that you'd get from friction brakes. Doesn't matter which pedal your foot is on (or off both), nor which mode you're in (one pedal driving or conventional). Same goes for when the car is standing still.

It was one of the first things I took a good look at because we have the bad driving trifecta in my town: aggressive, clueless, impaired

First, teh lulz: https://driving.ca/auto-news/crashes...0934a99b5/amp/

Secondly, a question re: range when cold. It’s not clear from people’s post if they are saying the displayed range doesn’t take into account the current ambient temperature. If you’re driving on the hiway at a relatively constant speed, and have the seat heaters on low and the cabin warming on, then something like a 30% reduction in best-case range will occur. Will the displayed range reflect that reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    First, teh lulz: https://driving.ca/auto-news/crashes...0934a99b5/amp/

Secondly, a question re: range when cold. It’s not clear from people’s post if they are saying the displayed range doesn’t take into account the current ambient temperature. If you’re driving on the hiway at a relatively constant speed, and have the seat heaters on low and the cabin warming on, then something like a 30% reduction in best-case range will occur. Will the displayed range reflect that reduction?
    Probably depends on the car but on my Bolt, yes.

Using my car's nav to a set destination, it will show a fairly accurate arrival state of charge estimate. (Obviously) it's using known speed limits, current miles per kW consumption, (and probably) historical consumption, ambient temps, predicted battery temp, and trends (elevation changes + wind)

But just driving around, the displayed range on my car is such a bad guess that it's useless.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I don't know about others but hyundai brakd lights come on if you use more than level 1 regen or it's braking equivalent using I pedal.
    You are what you eat.