Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I saw 3 disabled Teslas yesterday that had blowouts from hitting potholes just sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Ya gotta have a spare...
    Three in a single day? Are they using low profile, paper tires? Spare or not I barely ever see multiple people changing tires/waiting for AAA with flat tires in a single day, much less three in a day of the same brand.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I get it.

How often do you actually need to change a tire on the side of the road? Every 3-7 years maybe?

What percentage of adults actually know how to change a tire? ~60%

What percentage of Tesla/Merc/BMW drivers would rather wait for a service than change a spare themselves? ~90%

I’d still rather have a spare though…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I agree. On a vehicle that I'm going to take into the middle of nowhere, I want a spare. For a town runabout, I'll take the space if that's the tradeoff. I've had one flat tire in 20+ years of driving and that's after I sideswiped a curb under some slush. I changed that tire in some miserable conditions and if I had AAA at the time, calling them and waiting would have been much preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    I was glad to see Sugarbush has 24 chargers across the two bases.
    Yeah good luck getting them to work. The ones at north do seem to work better. South is hit or miss. Only 1/4 of the EV level 2 chargers have been working this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Three in a single day? Are they using low profile, paper tires? Spare or not I barely ever see multiple people changing tires/waiting for AAA with flat tires in a single day, much less three in a day of the same brand.
    There were a total of 7 cars disabled within a quarter mile of this pothole. They all had 45s or lower so yes, rubber bands.

I saw 3 disabled Teslas yesterday that had blowouts from hitting potholes just sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow. Ya gotta have a spare...
    There were a total of 7 cars disabled within a quarter mile of this pothole. They all had 45s or lower so yes, rubber bands.
    Wow, that is a monster. I lived most of my life in the NE and even then don't think I saw anything like that. Though it is one reason why I prefer more sidewall regardless of vehicle.

That's the third time in about 2 weeks I passed one like that. There are also potholes that are 4-8 feet long along the lane divider markings, twisting and deep enough that if a car (or motorcycle) catches them when they're changing lanes things can go sideways (literally) in a big hurry. I was at the shop today doing some work on my truck and there was a Honda with a radically twisted right front control arm and bent tie rods from getting one on the local interstate. Dumbass drove it in and the tire wore through, blew out and rolled off the wheel so he finished the last mile on the bare wheel dragging kinda sideways

After months of deliberation by political bodies and the auto industry, the European Union's 27 member nations have agreed on laws that would end the sale of new combustion-engined cars by 2035

Amendment 121, or as it's better known, the "Ferrari Amendment," will relax the requirements for low-volume brands that produce under 10,000 vehicles annually.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Nobody messes with Enzo's engines.

Off-roading a Rivian on the type of Sierra trails I take my diesel 4x4 van on. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I see again and again a lack of unawareness about how significantly the range or ‘mpg’ drops for a BEV in this type of driving. He collected data on about a dozen trips, and found the net efficiency or effective range drops by about 75%. Even if you splurge on a nominal 300 mile battery, 75 miles net range ain’t particularly useful and his truck had near zero payload.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Off-roading a Rivian on the type of Sierra trails I take my diesel 4x4 van on. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I see again and again a lack of unawareness about how significantly the range or ‘mpg’ drops for a BEV in this type of driving. He collected data on about a dozen trips, and found the net efficiency or effective range drops by about 75%. Even if you splurge on a nominal 300 mile battery, 75 miles net range ain’t particularly useful and his truck had near zero payload.
    Wow.. Great info thanks
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Hmmph, yeah 75 or even 100 doesn't really cut it. Even with the 10 gallon tank in my old Willys I could do better and I could carry an extra 10 if necessary. What happens when it's 38° rather than 68°? I guess you could take an extra battery pack in the bed

I fully agree that range while off-roading, etc. needs to improve... but how often are you all actually driving 75 - 100mi exclusively off-road?
    I drive off-road quite a bit but it's rarely more than ~20mi at a time, with the majority of my miles being on paved highways getting to/from there. My gas mileage definitely tanks when in 4WD off-road but I've never bothered to calculate it.

Still, my rough guess is that I need around 400mi nominal range to replace my truck with an EV.

I saw a Kia EV6 a few days ago. Nice looking car.
    https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I saw a Kia EV6 a few days ago. Nice looking car.
    https://www.kia.com/us/en/ev6
    Marty Byrde drives one.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I fully agree that range while off-roading, etc. needs to improve... but how often are you all actually driving 75 - 100mi exclusively off-road?
    I drive off-road quite a bit but it's rarely more than ~20mi at a time, with the majority of my miles being on paved highways getting to/from there. My gas mileage definitely tanks when in 4WD off-road but I've never bothered to calculate it.

Still, my rough guess is that I need around 400mi nominal range to replace my truck with an EV.
    For the type of non-crawling dirt road action he did in a Rivian, and my own experiences, I would expect around 12-13 mpg in my diesel van so maybe 35-40% loss compared to the 21 I get on paved surfaces overall. Typical guys in a Jeep forum report 10-11 mpg (gasser) in this type of driving, which is similar to my % loss.

The point is not how often you do 75 miles of ‘pure’ 4WD. It’s the fact that the cool spots we drive to typically have a remote hiway approach as well. ‘In our heads’ most of us are estimating what BEV range we need based on our ICE experiences. Doesn’t work that way though.

In other news: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...c-ev-chargers/

If I remember correctly, NC ripped out all their free chargers along hiways a decade ago to satisfy the nascent Q-tards that infest that state. So now there’s a commie (in right wing clothing) bill to force businesses that attract customers by offering a free charge point to remove those unless they also offer free gasoline.

If I remember correctly, NC ripped out all their free chargers along hiways a decade ago to satisfy the nascent Q-tards that infest that state. So now there’s a commie (in right wing clothing) bill to force businesses that attract customers by offering a free charge point to remove those unless they also offer free gasoline.
    Choose your state wisely, I guess

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/20...ity-residents/

Seems consistent with a small-government/pro-business/limited regulation political philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Seems consistent with a small-government/pro-business/limited regulation political philosophy.
    Same philosophy that gets them to pass laws banning municipality owned fiber networks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    This off road performance thing is the same logic that gets people to buy trucks to commute to work in. An edge case for most people that doesn’t effect the vast, vast majority of drivers.

IMO - Rivian is aimed at the huge population of people that buy the best selling vehicle, the F150, and then largely use it to drive around on pavement and haul their picnic around.
    The most off-roading a Rivian owner will do is crossing through a strip of road base when the CrossFit gym’s parking lot is getting repaved.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My wife's Maserati is getting picked up today from it's annual service. This is the second service since we got it in 2020. The one last year cost 1000, this one cost 1400.

The only thing I have had to do on the Tesla I got two years ago is fill the wiper fluid and rotate the tires.

The Maserati cost roughly 20k more than the Tesla.

The Tesla is much faster and more fun to drive. I don't even really like driving the Maserati all that much anymore. Granted, it is a Ghibli, which is very low end for Maserati, but the Tesla is an AWD long-range model 3, which is about the lowest performance Tesla out there.

The Tesla is a model 3, and I don't love the hatchback look. The Maserati definitely looks nicer, so it does have that going for it, although without the hatchback it would be close.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    My wife's Maserati is getting picked up today from it's annual service. This is the second service since we got it in 2020. The one last year cost 1000, this one cost 1400.

The only thing I have had to do on the Tesla I got two years ago is fill the wiper fluid and rotate the tires.

The Maserati cost roughly 20k more than the Tesla.

The Tesla is much faster and more fun to drive. I don't even really like driving the Maserati all that much anymore. Granted, it is a Ghibli, which is very low end for Maserati, but the Tesla is an AWD long-range model 3, which is about the lowest performance Tesla out there.

The Tesla is a model 3, and I don't love the hatchback look. The Maserati definitely looks nicer, so it does have that going for it, although without the hatchback it would be close.
    *gasps and throws hand to forehead”

$1400 to service your $80,000 exotic car?!? The horror.

(that’s just jealous sarcasm in case you were getting all wound up )

I've got to ask: what led her to buy a Maserati in the first place? Seems like a giant money sink.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    *gasps and throws hand to forehead”

$1400 to service your $80,000 exotic car?!? The horror.

(that’s just jealous sarcasm in case you were getting all wound up )

Yeah, it is actually pretty reasonable for that car.

But the point I was making is that the Maserati essentially costs 100 a month (2400 for the two services over two years) for service, and that is assuming nothing is wrong. If something is wrong, well that will be even pricier. With the Tesla the maintenance has been zero. This is another big point in the favor of electric cars, the maintenance is WAY less.

To drive the point home even further, my wife has only put around 7k total miles on the Maserati. Commute is only about 4 miles, and not done everyday. We have put about 24k miles on the Tesla over the last two years. If we had put that many miles on the Maserati I would assume something would need to be replaced and those costs would be even higher.

One would also assume that a car which costs 20k more and has much higher maintenance fees would also be much more fun to drive, but that is really not the case.

I'm just trying to add more data to the predictor variable of maintenance cost in regards to the outcome, which I guess is 'are electric cars great or do they suck' in a logit regression context. This is, of course, not at all complete in terms of outcomes. It is more likely that if we are using a categorical outcome that there should be multiple categories, not just 'great' or 'suck' but a few others. Either that or you have the outcome be a continuous random variable which certainly allows greater flexibility.

But the overall point is that we have two cars, which I look at as fun to drive and desirable, it that makes sense. I used to love driving the Maserati when I was driving a Ford Escape. The BEV vehicle costs 20k less, is faster, is AWD, is more fun to drive, and costs significantly less in terms of maintenance. I guess that is what I'm trying to drive home here.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Give it another decade and most people will wonder why the hell we all thought driving gas vehicles was so awesome.

I feel that way today.