Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1781
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I don’t actually think that’s an idea that should be seriously pursued, but if it would eliminate the use of coal miners as sympathetic figures to prevent coal power from being curtailed, $40B isn’t that much in the long run.

My guess is that it’s the owners not the miners that are the major hurdle…
    Bingo. It's the owners. Many coal miners are the writing on the wall and want to transition to something new as long as it pays well. But the owners are all in on keeping coal alive.

We should pay something to help retrain coal miners and to help them get good jobs. Wouldn't cost $40b either.

Lol. Now what’s the auto market going to do without the economic juggernaut of Wyoming? There’s almost 600,000 there!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anybody else been following the price drops in Teslas?! Both used AND new. The math is (almost) starting to make sense again! Seems that perhaps with a recent decrease in demand (for numerous reasons), production might've finally caught up. Doesn't seem to really be a wait any more when you use the builder on their website. Multiple factors at play here, but all I gotta say is it's about damn time. If they keep trending downward like this, I might have to put it back in my pile of cars to consider for my next one. When they crack the $20K mark for a 3 year old Model 3 or S, that's when I'd pull the trigger. I'm finally seeing used 3's ~28K. Top models down a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    Many coal miners see the writing on the wall
    Well, that and being a coal miner probably fucking blows.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Well, that and being a coal miner probably fucking blows.
    People are mad most of the shitty West Virginia coal jobs are gone and been replaced by far more efficient rednecks operating heavy equipment above ground in NE Wyoming, which is more efficient at making coal for power.

Coking coal has different sources.

Is the electric Hyundai Kona available in the states? Got my sights set on one of those here in scandiland and wondering if folks here have any input

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Is the electric Hyundai Kona available in the states? Got my sights set on one of those here in scandiland and wondering if folks here have any input
    It is available. I know a doc who has one for his commute and he seems to love the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Konas are a lot more availabe than Ioniq 5s are. A friend has one, loves it. I test drove one, thought about it overnight and it sold. Got an Ioniq 5 instead.

Good to hear, reports from Norwegian forums seem positive as well. I'd rather just get a cheap Ioniq from like 2018, but the lack of opportunity to put skis or bikes on the outside is kind of a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Anybody else been following the price drops in Teslas?! Both used AND new. The math is (almost) starting to make sense again! Seems that perhaps with a recent decrease in demand (for numerous reasons), production might've finally caught up. Doesn't seem to really be a wait any more when you use the builder on their website. Multiple factors at play here, but all I gotta say is it's about damn time. If they keep trending downward like this, I might have to put it back in my pile of cars to consider for my next one. When they crack the $20K mark for a 3 year old Model 3 or S, that's when I'd pull the trigger. I'm finally seeing used 3's ~28K. Top models down a LOT.
    Yeah, that 20% discount by Musk blew up the used market and it's only going to keep going down from here. Read on another forum about a '21 Model Y LR for $34k and that's just the start. Neighbor of mine took delivery of a Y just before Xmas (ordered it back in the fall) and took a bit hit in a matter of weeks. Planning to get two new (to me) cars (one EV) in the next couple years and looking forward to buyers having the upper hand again.

Electric car thread

We have a Lucid somewhere nearby that I see fairly frequently. Owner must be Russian cuz it’s gaudy AF in two-tone red/gold. Might be a decent looking car without that awful paint job (wrap?)? Can’t really be sure…

The latest Doug Demuro market report had some interesting tidbits, notably that the primary Tesla buyer (young professionals, tech employees and real estate professionals like mortgage brokers and agents) have been massively affected by the recent runup in rates and/or layoffs in the case of the tech industry, and as a result the market for Teslas is tanking.

My anecdotal evidence lines up with that, with my Tesla owning friends being primarily real estate people or WFH tech types. Both are getting killed in the current economy and are looking to offload. Meanwhile my neighbor who runs an industrial supply co wants a Hyundai EV.

People want to say its Musk's politics but that shit doesn't matter compared to the financial aspects. That said, a model 3 performance is currently like 47k post tax credit. That doesn't seem terrible for the level of performance you get, and like 10-15k cheaper than a comparable 3 series for example.
    Live Free or Die

nothing like devaluing your own product

if you produce a product and or provide a service you never lower your price under no circumstances
    the goods you produce and the services you provide should only go up in quality and the price should reflect that quality
    oh wait never mind I'm an idiot this is america
    elon couldn't even pass an intro to business class or economics 101

A friend is selling their Model 3 and going to a BMW i4. The car has been in the shop half a dozen times in the 18mos he’s owned it. All the standard Tesla issues you hear about - leaky trunk, power steering weirdness, charging issues. He hasn’t had the best experience with the local shop either. Repairs take longer than quoted… A few times there hasn’t been a loaner available….

I thought all the Tesla reliability issues were an online vocal minority, but now I know of a few second hand experiences. I don’t think I’d buy one (new or used).

I’ll be waiting a few years to go EV; hopefully an Acura ZDX or Lexus RZ is in my future.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    A friend is selling their Model 3 and going to a BMW i4. The car has been in the shop half a dozen times in the 18mos he’s owned it. All the standard Tesla issues you hear about - leaky trunk, power steering weirdness, charging issues. He hasn’t had the best experience with the local shop either. Repairs take longer than quoted… A few times there hasn’t been a loaner available….

I thought all the Tesla reliability issues were an online vocal minority, but now I know of a few second hand experiences. I don’t think I’d buy one (new or used).
    Knowing this is PRECISELY why I think it'd be foolish to pay (often many) thousands over what it should be for a used model. Now if prices tank, THEN it might be worth the hassle. Just as it used to be the case with other generally unreliable "high end" vehicles. I'll deal with some nonsense if the sales prices reflects those inevitabilities. Toss in a CPO warranty and now we're talking.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The latest Doug Demuro market report had some interesting tidbits, notably that the primary Tesla buyer (young professionals, tech employees and real estate professionals like mortgage brokers and agents) have been massively affected by the recent runup in rates and/or layoffs in the case of the tech industry, and as a result the market for Teslas is tanking.

My anecdotal evidence lines up with that, with my Tesla owning friends being primarily real estate people or WFH tech types. Both are getting killed in the current economy and are looking to offload. Meanwhile my neighbor who runs an industrial supply co wants a Hyundai EV.

People want to say it’s Musk's politics but that shit doesn't matter compared to the financial aspects. That said, a model 3 performance is currently like 47k post tax credit. That doesn't seem terrible for the level of performance you get, and like 10-15k cheaper than a comparable 3 series for example.
    2019? survey had Tesla buyers skewing late middle age and male. Demographic probably changed younger with 3/Y but if your marketing spend is influencers and your CEOs lifestyle you might miss out on a bunch of other customers

Probably. DeMuro runs a car auction website (carsandbids.com) so is pretty in tune with market demographics so I trust his judgement, but it could be what he is seeing in his market (that being people who buy cars on internet auction sites).
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

I’ll be waiting a few years to go EV; hopefully an Acura ZDX or Lexus RZ is in my future.

All my small Tesla repairs that were covered by warranty, like a rear cam cable issue, was done by mobile repair, promptly, in my driveway. But when I got in a fender-bender the parts took forever to order because Tesla needed all available parts to build vehicles and there are very few collision shops for Teslas in this valley of a million+ people, so they are fully booked months out. If it was a major accident I would have been out of a car for months is my guess. Not good. Luckily I could drive mine fine while waiting for parts. While I get not wanting a tesla due to shit craftsmanship, I don't see how other companies are going to magically be repair-free with their first versions of an E car. It's all a gamble.

The Ioniq 5 and Kia equivalent are reviewed well and toward the top of efficiency lists.

Next gen BMW EVs look promising. BMW is putting effort into supply chain transparency/traceability and their next gen motors do not use permanent magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    and their next gen motors do not use permanent magnets.
    Which are already in the i4.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    All my small Tesla repairs that were covered by warranty, like a rear cam cable issue, was done by mobile repair, promptly, in my driveway. But when I got in a fender-bender the parts took forever to order because Tesla needed all available parts to build vehicles and there are very few collision shops for Teslas in this valley of a million+ people, so they are fully booked months out. If it was a major accident I would have been out of a car for months is my guess. Not good. Luckily I could drive mine fine while waiting for parts. While I get not wanting a tesla due to shit craftsmanship, I don't see how other companies are going to magically be repair-free with their first versions of an E car. It's all a gamble.
    They won’t be repair free but since they’ll be coming from companies with bigger backing infrastructure, supply chains and expertise. I expect them to be better supported

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    It’s all about volume. Tesla still hasn’t sold that many cars. They don’t have dealers and they don’t have spare parts.

And yet. At one time it was worth every car company combined.

EV is coming. But I want it to be from a major manufacturer that can back up their product with service and parts.

It's a paradigm shift. EVs are mostly software. That's a large part of how Tesla is so successful despite not being great at actual manufacturing, and why legacy companies with almost a century of experience have (at times) faltered.

idk about that summary. every company has software, not many make cars. Tesla is great at marketing, and their software bugs are in the news regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    idk about that summary. every company has software, not many make cars. Tesla is great at marketing, and their software bugs are in the news regularly.
    Have you seen how shitty most car software is? The bar is pretty low.
    Tesla is very overvalued no but that's mostly on people wanting a new Steve Jobs