Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    50-55 = milking the charge??

Biden’s tax credit for Union made only, is BS.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    50-55 = milking the charge??
    That was the joke going around in our car.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Clearly. You might write to nearby car dealerships or even manufacturers. They'll take an interest in this. Those fuckers deserve to be exposed.
    id guess the nearby dealerships are the why

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I looked into adding a level 2 charger at home in anticipation that at least one of our next round of cars would be electric. My town and county have made it nearly impossible to do for under about $10k. Between the permits, mods to the house and driveway, equipment and having to use one of three approved electricians $10k might even be too low. WTF!
    It isn't for a charger, it is for welding. Just like, it isn't a wedding, it is just a big party.
    How you word things tends to matter. Find a good electrician and find out the tricks.

^^ Working on alternatives like that now
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Well, I guess get yourself a 220V high amp rated extension cord and tell the county they can suck your scrote.
    Yup. Kinda like what I've done to skirt some of the other stupid regs here over the last 25 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I've been charging my car off one of these for two years.
    Really? That's good to hear. Is there a significant power loss due to cord length? If I did something like this I'd need about 40-50 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Clearly. You might write to nearby car dealerships or even manufacturers. They'll take an interest in this. Those fuckers deserve to be exposed.
    With only 5 dealerships in the whole county you'd figure they already know. My guess as they're in on it somehow. The Ford dealer is pretty hip to the alternative power thing, they are energy independent due to the solar field on the roof and hillside in the back. When they announced that 2 years ago the country imposed a $1k/mo fee on them (and any other business achieving that milestone in the future) to replace the tax revenue they lose from no more huge electric bills.

Really? That's good to hear. Is there a significant power loss due to cord length? If I did something like this I'd need about 40-50 feet.
    Yer gonna need a bigger boat. Just go to an RV place or a marina that deals with large yachts and tell them what's up. They will know what gauge you will need. You want to avoid voltage drop. There is a formula somewhere. It is gonna be a really thick heavy cord for best results.

If you wanna get really tricky, look into flexible 4/0 like my carnie customers use. It is a straight single leg. You would need 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground, so 4 separate cables of 40-50 ft each.. They hook this up with single pole connectors that are color coded. Best to make up your ground first. This is how they feed all the carnival rides from generator trucks far away from the customers. You may be able to get away with 2/0- the 4/0 is 400 amp rated. There is also a 150 amp version of this- not sure what wire size it takes. Obviously, running the tilt-a-whirl takes a lot more clean juice than charging a car does, but you get the idea.

If the county shows up, you can just tell them the single pole receptacle bank in your garage is for generator back feed. Make sure your good electrician that you find makes that story believable. You may have to have him install a manual switch. This would come in handy later if you actually needed to use the car as a gen set.

Come to think of it, that may be the trick- tell the county you are hooking up an electric generator. It just happens to be your car.

For a state that bans fracking, and talks the talk all the time, they sure do contradict themselves quite a bit. You would think they would be incentivizing electric vehicles, not trying to profit off the trend.

50A circuit. 50ft 8 gauge RV extension cord off Amazon (cost about $200 when I bought it). Charger is a 32A unit.
    I don't know how much voltage loss there is, but not enough to significantly impact the charging effectiveness.

Edit: according to this calculator, voltage drop is around 1-2V
    https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Biden’s tax credit for Union made only, is BS.
    I’m trying to figure this out. from what I can tell there were additional adjustments made to the proposed spending bill yesterday. Tesla’s will be eligible for the 8k tax credit but not the $4500 union incentive.

Wifey just got a new job that really
    makes a EV make sense for us. She’ll be commuting between multiple locations everyday(50-150mi) and the better ability (provide by a smart car) to multitask while doing so would be key. Because of where we live, something with a little more clearance and awd is a must. I’ve already got 220 in the garage, so setting up a charger should be easy.

Any suggestions other than a model Y to fill this nitch?

I haven't followed the newest incentives but worth driving a ID4/Q4 etron and MachE in that bracket. I haven't driven the ford but the VW was decently nice and quite a bit cheaper than the tesla. I liked the model3 but am confused by how much worse the y drives. All that said we cheaped out and bought a used leaf that covered 99% of our second car needs.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I’m trying to figure this out. from what I can tell there were additional adjustments made to the proposed spending bill yesterday. Tesla’s will be eligible for the 8k tax credit but not the $4500 union incentive.

Wifey just got a new job that really
    makes a EV make sense for us. She’ll be commuting between multiple locations everyday(50-150mi) and the better ability (provide by a smart car) to multitask while doing so would be key. Because of where we live, something with a little more clearance and awd is a must. I’ve already got 220 in the garage, so setting up a charger should be easy.

Any suggestions other than a model Y to fill this nitch?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Yer gonna need a bigger boat. Just go to an RV place or a marina that deals with large yachts and tell them what's up. They will know what gauge you will need. You want to avoid voltage drop. There is a formula somewhere. It is gonna be a really thick heavy cord for best results.

If you wanna get really tricky, look into flexible 4/0 like my carnie customers use. It is a straight single leg. You would need 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground, so 4 separate cables of 40-50 ft each.. They hook this up with single pole connectors that are color coded. Best to make up your ground first. This is how they feed all the carnival rides from generator trucks far away from the customers. You may be able to get away with 2/0- the 4/0 is 400 amp rated. There is also a 150 amp version of this- not sure what wire size it takes. Obviously, running the tilt-a-whirl takes a lot more clean juice than charging a car does, but you get the idea.

If the county shows up, you can just tell them the single pole receptacle bank in your garage is for generator back feed. Make sure your good electrician that you find makes that story believable. You may have to have him install a manual switch. This would come in handy later if you actually needed to use the car as a gen set.

Come to think of it, that may be the trick- tell the county you are hooking up an electric generator. It just happens to be your car.

For a state that bans fracking, and talks the talk all the time, they sure do contradict themselves quite a bit. You would think they would be incentivizing electric vehicles, not trying to profit off the trend.
    Good stuff. It was the onerous rules to use a generator that got me thinking about looking into the car charger. My neighbor put in a Generac 2 or 3 years ago and a $2500 generator ended up costing just under $12k before they finally approved it. 4" thick pad 15' from the house, propane tank on a pad 10' from that. New smart breaker panel in the house and all done by an approved electrician. This guy was a Verizon/NYNEX/ATT lineman for 30 years, he could do that without a problem but no... The states perceived progressive nature isn't really all that and in this they're powerless against the towns and counties.

Good stuff. It was the onerous rules to use a generator that got me thinking about looking into the car charger. My neighbor put in a Generac 2 or 3 years ago and a $2500 generator ended up costing just under $12k before they finally approved it. 4" thick pad 15' from the house, propane tank on a pad 10' from that. New smart breaker panel in the house and all done by an approved electrician. This guy was a Verizon/NYNEX/ATT lineman for 30 years, he could do that without a problem but no... The states perceived progressive nature isn't really all that and in this they're powerless against the towns and counties.
    people get upset because these rules make them spend money, but think about it this way:
    "code required" is the worst quality you are legally allowed to build
    read that again: the WORST most minimal quality you are legally allowed to build
    that is for the homeowner's & the community's safety

then consider how happy a lineman is when he knows that some rogue genset isn't backfeeding 24kV to a downed line in a power outage;
    or the neighbors can sleep safely knowing that some shitty install is not going to explode some day & burn the town down.

sorry your friend had to pay a professional, but at least acknowledge that the jurisdiction doesn't capriciously make shit up just to piss off the populace

it does suck that this stuff is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    people get upset because these rules make them spend money, but think about it this way:
    "code required" is the worst quality you are legally allowed to build
    read that again: the WORST most minimal quality you are legally allowed to build
    that is for the homeowner's & the community's safety

then consider how happy a lineman is when he knows that some rogue genset isn't backfeeding 24kV to a downed line in a power outage;
    or the neighbors can sleep safely knowing that some shitty install is not going to explode some day & burn the town down.

sorry your friend had to pay a professional, but at least acknowledge that the jurisdiction doesn't capriciously make shit up just to piss off the populace

it does suck that this stuff is expensive
    You think anyone here is going to admit that "the car has to be at least 50 feet from the house or in a fireproof room when it's charging" isn't absolute paranoid overkill bullshit? C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    You think anyone here is going to admit that "the car has to be at least 50 feet from the house or in a fireproof room when it's charging" isn't absolute paranoid overkill bullshit? C'mon.
    This. These "regulations' are letting a few people overcharge for unnecessary services, and preventing other qualified people from getting work. It's a racket. It's taking advantage of the fact that electric cars are a status symbol for some rich people who can afford to waste a little extra money. It's not about keeping people safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Yup. Some building codes exist for legitimate safety reasons. This is not one of them.

Additionally, it will serve to deter people from EV ownership when we should be doing the exact opposite.

Electrical work with a permit and done by a licensed electrician? Fine. The 50ft away rule? Bullshit.

Let me guess. This mystery municipality also has a climate action plan that banks on electrifying some not insignificant amount of the private fossil fuel fleet in their community.

Doesn’t NEC cover most of this anyways?

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    If that’s the whole story here, 50 feet does sound stupid for sure

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I liked the model3 but am confused by how much worse the y drives.
    I’m kind of confused by this.
    I thought they were based on the same platform, and it just has extra height, and lifters under the seats. I watched a lot of YouTube videos about how they are made, (a taller 3), and actually a lot of the vids said it was better because of all the improvements they made on some of the wiring problems etc. they had with the 3.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I think it is mostly tuning. The Y was set to drive like a generic low feedback crossover, the 3 like a BMW 3. FWIW car and driver has the same opinion I do and it is a bummer because everything else about the Y is compelling, except maybe the roofline.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m kind of confused by this.
    I thought they were based on the same platform, and it just has extra height, and lifters under the seats. I watched a lot of YouTube videos about how they are made, (a taller 3), and actually a lot of the vids said it was better because of all the improvements they made on some of the wiring problems etc. they had with the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I think it is mostly tuning. The Y was set to drive like a generic low feedback crossover, the 3 like a BMW 3. FWIW car and driver has the same opinion I do and it is a bummer because everything else about the Y is compelling, except maybe the roofline.
    Well, dang.
    What made it interesting to me is one in-depth review took it apart and showed all the improvements they made to fix the screwup‘s in the 3. Maybe when I’m ready to buy, they’ll have implemented those changes in the 3 as well.
    Of course then there will be an Ionic8, and long-range all-wheel-drive ID4, etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I looked into adding a level 2 charger at home in anticipation that at least one of our next round of cars would be electric. My town and county have made it nearly impossible to do for under about $10k. Between the permits, mods to the house and driveway, equipment and having to use one of three approved electricians $10k might even be too low. WTF!
    That’s wild. Mine was ~$1000 installed, including running line from the breaker.

Hahaha. I don't have a garage so it has to be in the driveway which is mostly open to the street so it would be seen. Part of their new regs is the car has to be at least 50 feet from the house or in a fireproof room when it's charging. I think the Chevy Bolt thing brought the stoopidz to the surface when one melted to the ground at a local dealer last year. Apparently none of the local FDs are equipped to handle an e-car fire.
    A modern garage has a fire rating…. There basically saying you need fire taped 5/8 gyp and a rated door to the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Then work in the town to change it. Towns and counties can only setup sweetheart deals or do bullshit if citizens don't notice or care. Make a stink, push to get it change. Or just whine on the internet and watch nothing change.

Just say “I want a 240v 30a plug in my garage”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA