Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    FWIW the cold gives me far less range anxiety in our model 3 than driving anywhere with significant elevation gain. Computer doesn't appear to factor that in at all so unless it's a drive you are familiar with it becomes a crap shoot - I've cut it uncomfortably close to not making it over a summit with theoretically ample range at outset to get to the supercharger on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    FWIW the cold gives me far less range anxiety in our model 3 than driving anywhere with significant elevation gain. Computer doesn't appear to factor that in at all so unless it's a drive you are familiar with it becomes a crap shoot - I've cut it uncomfortably close to not making it over a summit with theoretically ample range at outset to get to the supercharger on the side.
    That's interesting, and important to know.

With the Mammoth drive, you gain 3,000 feet of elevation after Bishop going up the Sherwin Grade. After that you only have 20-30 minutes to Mammoth. Your experience tells me to perhaps do a slightly larger charge in Lone Pine than I otherwise would have. While the drive to Mammoth is long, one of the nice things about it is that there really is not high altitude or winter driving until you get to the last 20 minutes of the drive, and even then it is usually not too bad. If the Sherwin Grade was 100 miles south that would make travel on storm days much worse. Occasionally it snows down in the Owens Valley, but that is very rare and the temps in Bishop tend to be pretty mild.

I would think what you are describing would be a pretty solid issue in Tahoe. The trip on the 80 has a much greater percentage of mountain driving compared to the trip on the 395 to Mammoth.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

So I have two months with a Tesla 3. It is the all-wheel drive long range model. Here are a few thoughts:

It drives a bit like a golf cart. It slows down very quickly once you take your foot off the accelerator, which is something to get used to. It's not a big deal, it has a slightly different feel. It absolutely flies when you hit the accelerator. It is not even the performance model but it does 0-60 in 4.4. The performance model is supposedly 3.2, which is far more than I need. We also have a Maserati Ghibli, the poor man's Maserati, and I would say the Tesla feels faster.

With the seats folded down it is pretty easy to fit quite a bit of stuff. I can fit multiple pairs of 185 Armada JJs or 186 4frnt EHPs in there. You could easily fit 193 size 115 waist fat skis. I can fit a 7'6" fun board without too much trouble, no roof rack needed. Obviously a 6'4" fishy type board fits without a problem. You could fit multiple boards in the 6'6" and under range pretty easily. All of these are with the back seats folded down. It does a 2/3 fold down thing too. It's an easy car to travel with two people and lots of toys, if you wanted to fit a family of four and a bunch of skis and boot bags that would be tough. My first Mammoth trip of the winter, when I drop most of our stuff off at the ski lease, will be a bit tight, but it should not be a problem. I don't the room as all THAT much less than my old Ford Escape. The frunk is small, but it does add a bit of storage space. Our other trips usually just have a small bag of clothes and our boot bags, so no big deal. This season might take a bit of planning, but we don't need to bring EVERYTHING up to the ski lease the first trip, things like the DVD collection and some of the extra clothes we keep up there can wait. Overall I would say the space in the car is much better than I thought it would be, I don't see it as being an issue. It is not quite as convenient as an SUV in terms of space, but it definitely gets the job done. Weekends when we don't go to Mammoth and hit Baldy or Summit/Bear won't be a problem, there is plenty of room for two pairs of skis and two boot bags. We could probably fit a third person and their skis is we were strategic. For a family of four skiing every weekend and lugging stuff back and forth this would not be ideal, but for a couple with no human children it works just fine.

The rear camera is really great for parallel parking in Newport or Huntington on crowded weekends. It has a camera, and it also gives you the exact distance between your front bumper and the car in front of you, and the same for the back. This makes parallel parking in tight spots MUCH easier. I absolutely love this feature. For someone who surfs on weekend mornings in a crowded beach town regularly the parallel parking ease is awesome. It does give me pause about getting a Cybertruck or Rivian, as even with a camera the added size would make it a nuisance. The model 3 is not all that long, which I'm finding I really like. It has proven to be a very convenient car for me this summer.

I have done lots of research on A Better Route planner in regards to charging on the way to Mammoth. We usually leave around 4 am, so we should not have an issue finding charging space. It will take an extra 20 minutes or so over driving in an ICE, which is not a big deal. I might end up leaving 15 minutes earlier in the morning to compensate, but it's not THAT big of a deal. One nice thing about the 3 is that the 320 mile range is generated the a 75 Kw battery, meaning slightly more than 4 miles per Kw. This is nice because it adds mileage more quickly while charging. A car with a higher range but a larger battery pack will go farther, but take longer to recharge. We never leave for Mammoth after around 230 on Friday afternoon, it is just not worth it, but I can see there being some issues with finding a charging spot in Lone Pine, Mojave or Inyokern on those trips. That is not a huge deal, if it adds 40 minutes to the drive on Friday and don't really care, we can combine it with a meal. Getting to Mammoth at 930 is really no different from getting there are 845 for afternoon to evening trips.

We are getting a charger put in within the next couple of months. We will need it before the winter. We have solar panels, and we budgeted 10k miles when we got our panels put in, so we want to be able to access that. I have been slow to get that done because I'm not driving much right now. Getting the charger put in should cost 1k, but it will be nice to access the energy we are generating. I see it as a minor expense. Overall this car would be cheaper to fuel than an ICE, even if we didn't have solar.

I have been charging at the public chargers so far. I typically use the one on Michelson in Irvine, which is a slower supercharger, 72 kw. You don't charge quite as quickly when there are other cars around, sometimes you get a 50 kw stream which would be around 200 miles charged in an hour. The charging definitely slows down as the battery gets full, so it definitely makes more sense to charge from 10 to 80 percent. The chargers tend to be in areas with shopping, so you can get some errands done. When I surf down in San Clemente I tend to use the 150kw supercharger down there. I ate lunch, but I looked at the display for a few minutes to get a feel for the charging rate. I was getting a rate of 96 kw, which would add about 399 miles over the course of an hour. In 40 minutes I added about 240 miles of range. It will be nice to be able to charge at home. Obviously it is not as convenient as an ICE in regards to fueling. We have all gotten used to just getting gas when we want. When you have to charge it requires a bit of planning. But it is definitely worth it. Honestly charging has not ever really been an issue, I have just had lunch or gotten groceries while the car charges. It is not a big deal, luckily there are lots of chargers in California, it just takes a bit of planning. I'm sure there will be a few times it will be a nuisance, but overall it is manageable if one has a few brain cells. It has not been a hassle yet. Orange County could use a few more chargers, but there are a number that are close to me. There are a bunch more that are listed as coming soon. I'm really glad I live in California. It goes without saying that you want to use a 150 kw charger if possible.

The display is cool. It shows you cars in your blind spot. I put most of my music on a flash drive which I keep in the car. It makes it very convenient to play music without really taking your eyes off the road, much better than with an MP3 player or phone. The touch selection on the screen is super easy.

Supposedly you can set it up so that it will read you texts to you, and you can voice narrate texts back. I am not a big texter, I don't look at my phone while I drive and my opinion on texting is I will get to it when it is fucking convenient for me. I am not at your beck and call. I don't have conversations via text message.

I will add more when I get to take it to Mammoth. So far the only car I have like this much was the Pathfinder I got in the summer of 94 that I drove across the country. I think it blows the doors off of our Maserati, and not just for the convenience factor, the Maserati is not meant for skiing and surfing. I now see why Teslas are so popular.

We did take it to the Hard Rock in San Diego a few weeks ago. That is only a two hour trip. The hotel was able to charge it overnight, which was really nice.

I can't stress enough that the acceleration is awesome. It absolutely takes off when you floor it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

So the Maserati won't do 185, but the Tesla will? You are Rock Star.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    We are getting a charger put in within the next couple of months. We will need it before the winter. We have solar panels, and we budgeted 10k miles when we got our panels put in, so we want to be able to access that. I have been slow to get that done because I'm not driving much right now. Getting the charger put in should cost 1k, but it will be nice to access the energy we are generating. I see it as a minor expense. Overall this car would be cheaper to fuel than an ICE, even if we didn't have solar.
    I don't get that. Do you net meter back to PGE? Is your household electrical use that much less than the need of your EV? Without battery packs you still charge from the grid.

The commercial for the Hummer EV is marketing at its phinest. Led Zeppelin cover...interesting.

The truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    So I have two months with a Tesla 3. It is the all-wheel drive long range model. Here are a few thoughts:

It drives a bit like a golf cart. It slows down very quickly once you take your foot off the accelerator, which is something to get used to. It's not a big deal, it has a slightly different feel. It absolutely flies when you hit the accelerator. It is not even the performance model but it does 0-60 in 4.4. The performance model is supposedly 3.2, which is far more than I need. We also have a Maserati Ghibli, the poor man's Maserati, and I would say the Tesla feels faster.

With the seats folded down it is pretty easy to fit quite a bit of stuff. I can fit multiple pairs of 185 Armada JJs or 186 4frnt EHPs in there. You could easily fit 193 size 115 waist fat skis. I can fit a 7'6" fun board without too much trouble, no roof rack needed. Obviously a 6'4" fishy type board fits without a problem. You could fit multiple boards in the 6'6" and under range pretty easily. All of these are with the back seats folded down. It does a 2/3 fold down thing too. It's an easy car to travel with two people and lots of toys, if you wanted to fit a family of four and a bunch of skis and boot bags that would be tough. My first Mammoth trip of the winter, when I drop most of our stuff off at the ski lease, will be a bit tight, but it should not be a problem. I don't the room as all THAT much less than my old Ford Escape. The frunk is small, but it does add a bit of storage space. Our other trips usually just have a small bag of clothes and our boot bags, so no big deal. This season might take a bit of planning, but we don't need to bring EVERYTHING up to the ski lease the first trip, things like the DVD collection and some of the extra clothes we keep up there can wait. Overall I would say the space in the car is much better than I thought it would be, I don't see it as being an issue. It is not quite as convenient as an SUV in terms of space, but it definitely gets the job done. Weekends when we don't go to Mammoth and hit Baldy or Summit/Bear won't be a problem, there is plenty of room for two pairs of skis and two boot bags. We could probably fit a third person and their skis is we were strategic. For a family of four skiing every weekend and lugging stuff back and forth this would not be ideal, but for a couple with no human children it works just fine.

The rear camera is really great for parallel parking in Newport or Huntington on crowded weekends. It has a camera, and it also gives you the exact distance between your front bumper and the car in front of you, and the same for the back. This makes parallel parking in tight spots MUCH easier. I absolutely love this feature. For someone who surfs on weekend mornings in a crowded beach town regularly the parallel parking ease is awesome. It does give me pause about getting a Cybertruck or Rivian, as even with a camera the added size would make it a nuisance. The model 3 is not all that long, which I'm finding I really like. It has proven to be a very convenient car for me this summer.

I have done lots of research on A Better Route planner in regards to charging on the way to Mammoth. We usually leave around 4 am, so we should not have an issue finding charging space. It will take an extra 20 minutes or so over driving in an ICE, which is not a big deal. I might end up leaving 15 minutes earlier in the morning to compensate, but it's not THAT big of a deal. One nice thing about the 3 is that the 320 mile range is generated the a 75 Kw battery, meaning slightly more than 4 miles per Kw. This is nice because it adds mileage more quickly while charging. A car with a higher range but a larger battery pack will go farther, but take longer to recharge. We never leave for Mammoth after around 230 on Friday afternoon, it is just not worth it, but I can see there being some issues with finding a charging spot in Lone Pine, Mojave or Inyokern on those trips. That is not a huge deal, if it adds 40 minutes to the drive on Friday and don't really care, we can combine it with a meal. Getting to Mammoth at 930 is really no different from getting there are 845 for afternoon to evening trips.

I have been charging at the public chargers so far. I typically use the one on Michelson in Irvine, which is a slower supercharger, 72 kw. You don't charge quite as quickly when there are other cars around, sometimes you get a 50 kw stream which would be around 200 miles charged in an hour. The charging definitely slows down as the battery gets full, so it definitely makes more sense to charge from 10 to 80 percent. The chargers tend to be in areas with shopping, so you can get some errands done. When I surf down in San Clemente I tend to use the 150kw supercharger down there. I ate lunch, but I looked at the display for a few minutes to get a feel for the charging rate. I was getting a rate of 96 kw, which would add about 399 miles over the course of an hour. In 40 minutes I added about 240 miles of range. It will be nice to be able to charge at home. Obviously it is not as convenient as an ICE in regards to fueling. We have all gotten used to just getting gas when we want. When you have to charge it requires a bit of planning. But it is definitely worth it. Honestly charging has not ever really been an issue, I have just had lunch or gotten groceries while the car charges. It is not a big deal, luckily there are lots of chargers in California, it just takes a bit of planning. I'm sure there will be a few times it will be a nuisance, but overall it is manageable if one has a few brain cells. It has not been a hassle yet. Orange County could use a few more chargers, but there are a number that are close to me. There are a bunch more that are listed as coming soon. I'm really glad I live in California. It goes without saying that you want to use a 150 kw charger if possible.

The display is cool. It shows you cars in your blind spot. I put most of my music on a flash drive which I keep in the car. It makes it very convenient to play music without really taking your eyes off the road, much better than with an MP3 player or phone. The touch selection on the screen is super easy.

Supposedly you can set it up so that it will read you texts to you, and you can voice narrate texts back. I am not a big texter, I don't look at my phone while I drive and my opinion on texting is I will get to it when it is fucking convenient for me. I am not at your beck and call. I don't have conversations via text message.

I will add more when I get to take it to Mammoth. So far the only car I have like this much was the Pathfinder I got in the summer of 94 that I drove across the country. I think it blows the doors off of our Maserati, and not just for the convenience factor, the Maserati is not meant for skiing and surfing. I now see why Teslas are so popular.

We did take it to the Hard Rock in San Diego a few weeks ago. That is only a two hour trip. The hotel was able to charge it overnight, which was really nice.

I can't stress enough that the acceleration is awesome. It absolutely takes off when you floor it.
    I am really surprised you don't own a home charger. I've owned my EV for two years and have never, ever used a public charger. Recently I got a 220 adapter so i can charge at work which is even more sweet: all work electricity is a tax write off.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The commercial for the Hummer EV is marketing at its phinest. Led Zeppelin cover...interesting.

The truck?
    $80k base, coming out, (maybe), in a year?

Sure. And it’s beyond ginormous.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Satchel for the hitch is on orderClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201023-025325_Instagram.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	344533

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

50,000 Chevy Bolt EVs Recalled; Owners Told Not to Park in Garages, Near Houses

More than 50,000 2017 through 2019 Bolt EVs have battery packs that could catch fire even while the vehicle is off and parked.
    D’oh.

The ID.4 AWD might be one of the more affordable/functional AWD EVs to be coming out soon. I’m curious to see what else is in the pipeline. We’ve got two gas cars with pretty low miles on them but very likely I’ll swap one for an EV in the next few years. I do a lot 50 - 130 mile day trips which would add up to a lot less gallons burned over the years.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...en-id-4-review

How much extra range are people burning with winter tires, roof boxes and winter driving? If a car has 230 mile range, would I be just scraping by to do a 132 mile drive in the winter that is highway/mountain driving with 3 people, gear and an aero box? Snowy roads and wind eat up range as well I am sure. As the battery wears night that trip become more of a stretch?

I’m pretty sure that’d be no problem. What kinda elevation gain on the drive? If you’re just taking 3 pairs of skis, consider a lightweight (ie waterproof but not bulky) ski bag and make use of that pass-thru the VW rear seat has. I’ve done that in many rental cars in yurp over the years, also solves the salt spray issues.

Just a matter of time before we go electric AWD for one vehicle. My main concern is that in big storm cycles, the entire Tahoe region becomes a clusterfuck of shitty unprepared drivers blocking the hiways, so the 15 min drive home turns into a 2.5 hr adventure featuring extensive stops. I don’t idle the car the whole time but turn it on occasionally to keep the interior warmish and defogged. It’s these unanticipated situations that I’m not sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’m pretty sure that’d be no problem. What kinda elevation gain on the drive?
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...d-chicago-area

This is a forum I casually follow which is winter driving with Teslas in Chicago, and a lot of these folks report less than 50% range in the winter. Oh, by the way, Chicago is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...d-chicago-area

This is a forum I casually follow which is winter driving with Teslas in Chicago, and a lot of these folks report less than 50% range in the winter. Oh, by the way, Chicago is flat.
    Said this before, but we were talking to the dealer in Vail about test driving one. Started asking questions about cold weather performance and he clammed right up.

And Vail is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    And Vail is flat.
    Good one...

4-5k elevation gain depending. I have a longer drive as well that’s 192 miles which sounds not possible in winter. I’ve definitely have incidents where I’ve been stuck in traffic or behind a downed tree for hours at night in the winter which does make me nervous to think about in an EV.

However, there are a lot of mitigating factors. More and more destinations here have chargers - including ski areas - which if you can/could reserve would solve this problem. Also, almost any long day-trip drive I do has a charging station halfway between destination and home, so while inconvenient to stop it’s a viable backup plan if you blow through more range than expected. I also expect to keep a gas AWD car as well so for stormy weather, heavily loaded with many passengers or longer road trips that would be the go-to.

This guy has some range tests using roof box, bike racks, etc

http://kootenayevfamily.ca/tesla-mod...and-bike-rack/

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I don't get that. Do you net meter back to PGE? Is your household electrical use that much less than the need of your EV? Without battery packs you still charge from the grid.
    Yes. We actually got our solar system put in with enough panels for 10k miles of charging. At this point we have more solar power than we need. It is also very convenient to have a charger at home for obvious reasons. I have been lagging on getting it done. But we got more panels than we would have needed, and that was specifically because we anticipated getting an electric car.

So I did my first Mammoth trip in the model 3. Here are some takeaways:

As I have previously stated, we have a 2020 model 3, long range, AWD.

The distance from our house in Newport Beach to our ski lease is about 350 miles if we take 5/14/395, or 340 if we take 55/91/15/395 and hit the 395 earlier. I prefer the first route because there are fewer two lane stretches where people make sketchy passes.

I started with a 90% charge. I left Saturday morning at around 5 am. On a normal trip I would probably have started earlier, but it was just groomers at Mammoth so I was not all that pumped to get their early. It was really just a trip to open the ski lease up.

The first stop was in Mojave. I charged for around 15 minutes and left with a charge of about 55%. I did not write down the charge I started with. There were only two other cars there, not surprising considering it was 715 am on a Saturday, so I was getting a pretty good charge rate, around 136 kwh which translated to 562 miles per hour. Obviously it slowed down as the battery charge got higher.

The next stop was in Lone Pine. I think I had around 10% remaining, but once again I forgot to write down the charge I arrived with. I charged for around 18 minutes and left with a charge of 64%. There were only two other cars there.

I arrived in Mammoth with right around 20% in charge. I dropped my stuff off and skied for the afternoon, then went down to get a burrito at Roberto's and charge. I never saw many people at the Mammoth Lakes charger, but I would expect that on a Sunday afternoon it might be packed, so definitely a plan accordingly situation.

The next morning I got coffee and a danish at Looney Bean while I charged again. As a result of multiple charges I was able to leave Mammoth after skiing Sunday with 87% battery capacity. I was able to make it all the way to Mojave, although I didn't write down exactly what charge I arrived in Mojave with. I charged for around a half an hour and got some snacks at Stater Bros, the charger is located there. It was more crowded Sunday than it had been early on Saturday morning, so I was definitely getting a slower charge. I can imagine that Sunday evenings might get crowded there, or in Lone Pine. I was still able to easily find a spot. They have the type of chargers you can pull into at Mojave, Mammoth and Lone Pine. I charged to around 67% and I arrived home in Newport with about 20%, I think.

Overall it was very doable. I think most of the time I won't leave Mammoth Lakes with quite that high of a charge, meaning I will have to charge in Lone Pine and combine that with getting a meal. I was driving 75-80 most of the time, so not pushing it too much with the speed. I think the trip up took 6 hours and 15 minutes from my door in Newport to arriving at the ski lease. I would say that traveling under ideal charging conditions, i.e. leaving in the morning and having no crowds at the chargers, it takes about 20 minutes longer to make the drive in my model 3 than in my old Ford Escape. This is a bit of a nuisance, but it is not a deal breaker. It does require planning, something you don't really need to do with an ICE vehicle, but it has evolved to the point where it is not too much of a problem with some planning.

I could see the difficulty being a Friday afternoon trip where one leaves around 3 pm. That has always been my limit, if we can't leave before 3 on Friday we leave at 4 am on Saturday morning. I could see the chargers in Mojave and Lone Pine getting absolutely slammed with people driving up on Friday afternoon and evening. If you leave early enough, i.e. you aren't going to arrive in Mammoth around 2 am, this is not too much of a problem, just an added inconvenience, but it still might end up being frustrating. I believe they have a charger in Palmdale now, which will help a bit, but it would really be nice to see a few more charging stations. It would be great if EA and Tesla could get on the same page. EA has a bunch of stations on the way up, so if you combined those stations with the Tesla chargers you would be in good shape.

One interesting factor is the regenerative braking. You gain charge as you go down the Sherwin Grade, which is funny. I think I entered Bishop having 84% of my battery life having left Mammoth Lakes with the battery at 87%. That's 40 miles of driving on only 3% battery.

EDIT: I should add that I had a bunch of stuff in the car, several pairs of skis, clothes, DVDs...stuff we keep at the ski lease all year. I don't know if the weight made a difference in terms of the amount of charge used. Both the Better Route Planner app and the Tesla navigation pretty much nailed how much charge I would have at each stop and how long I would have to charge for.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 12-02-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So the Maserati won't do 185, but the Tesla will? You are Rock Star.

That's because we have the poor man's Maserati, the Ghibli, while I'm quite certain Joe Walsh has the full-on rockstar Maserati. I would think his is much faster than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I am really surprised you don't own a home charger. I've owned my EV for two years and have never, ever used a public charger. Recently I got a 220 adapter so i can charge at work which is even more sweet: all work electricity is a tax write off.
    Yeah, I've been lagging on it. I just need to get it done. I have been thinking about it since we got the car, a few months ago, I have just been lazy. Being remote is part of the problem, charging at public stations has not been THAT much of a nuisance, so I have not been motivated enough to get off my ass and do it. I have looked at a couple of different contractors that can do it, I just have not bothered yet.

Just curious, but how much mileage can you add charging overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    That's interesting, because I have found that the computer does quite well dealing with elevation gain, so far anyway.

We went to Snow Summit from Newport Beach on Thanksgiving just to ski some groomers and head home. I left Newport with an 87% charge, this is in a long range/awd model 3, and got to the parking lot at Summit with around 38%, which was exactly what was predicted. Before I left it said that round trip I should arrive home with 19%. I actually arrived home with exactly that. I started the descent down the 330, leaving the Big Bear Lake area to go back into the socal basin, with 34% and ended up with 38% at the bottom of the hill. The regenerative braking is really cool. This was our second Summit trip of the year, we had done a day the weekend before, and I found the nav worked absolutely perfectly both times.

The drive to Mammoth also has a big elevation gain and I found the nav nailed that one, particularly what I would have going into Mammoth Lakes at the top of the Sherwin Grade. From Bishop to the top of the Sherwin grade is roughly a 2500 elevation gain, I think. I have been pleasantly surprised by how well the nav has handled trips with elevation gain. I hope that continues, the fact that you have had issues with it does concern me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    How much extra range are people burning with winter tires, roof boxes and winter driving? If a car has 230 mile range, would I be just scraping by to do a 132 mile drive in the winter that is highway/mountain driving with 3 people, gear and an aero box? Snowy roads and wind eat up range as well I am sure. As the battery wears night that trip become more of a stretch?
    I missed this earlier. I can't speak to the roof box, but I'd say the range on my Bolt drops about 25% in the winter. The cold weather is the biggest factor, snow tires less of a factor. As for mountain driving, going uphill rapes battery, going downhill regens so heavily that I think it's a net wash. But going uphill and watching your predicted range just crater is scary.

I'm still using gas cars as my primary ski vehicles (the Bolt is my city car/commuter) but in a few years when we're ready to upgrade my wife's Forester, I'm expecting there to be enough AWD options with long enough range to make going electric realistic on that car too, which will leave us with the pickup truck/camper as our only gas rig.