Page 33 of 72 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Why a Model 3 instead of a Hyundai Ioniq 5?
    Local dealer doesn't bring them in. The dealer in the next town south charges a $5000 "market adjustment"

Um. Actually. I'm all for EV. The link is for my local CBS affiliate news page. So this is a semi-local story. No click bait here. It happened in the southern part of the state. I live in the opposite corner of this [very small] state. The story is interesting. I shouldn't have to explain why. Volunteer firefighters all over have to deal with something new with the rise of EVs. It's also funny to bag on [insert car manufacturer here]. Notice how I didn't say "Fuckin EV"? Instead, I called out Chevy. And recently didn't we cover in this thread something about some authority saying that one shouldn't charge in the garage because of fire? None of that makes me against EVs. I'd love one. I'm waiting 2-3 years solely because of where I'm at with my current set of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Um. Actually. I'm all for EV. The link is for my local CBS affiliate news page. So this is a semi-local story. No click bait here. It happened in the southern part of the state. I live in the opposite corner of this [very small] state. The story is interesting. I shouldn't have to explain why. Volunteer firefighters all over have to deal with something new with the rise of EVs. It's also funny to bag on [insert car manufacturer here]. Notice how I didn't say "Fuckin EV"? Instead, I called out Chevy. And recently didn't we cover in this thread something about some authority saying that one shouldn't charge in the garage because of fire? None of that makes me against EVs. I'd love one. I'm waiting 2-3 years solely because of where I'm at with my current set of cars.
    We're both not picking up what the other is putting down, never mind.

Ted, get a model 3. it's a bit of a gamble but not as much of a gamble as it was 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Model 3 owners: talk me out of/into buying one.

I'm looking at weekly 100+ mile freeway trips for the next several years. No snow. No need to move anything other than people. Will do the occasional city to city road trip. Don't care about the electric cost vs gas math. The plan is get solar in the not too distant future. I just don't want to be listening to the drone of an IC engine and/or driving a truck.

What I really want to know is do you actually like the thing? I've ridden in 3s and Ss for short trips, and they're quiet and comfortable enough. Does that change two hours into a trip? Or two years into ownership?
    TWIS (The Woman I’m Seeing) has had a Model 3 for around 8 months now. The customer service lives up to the legends, it bites. But I’m here to say the thing is a blast to drive. Really really fun. It’s well suited to 100+ mile trips. For what you outlined it would work really well, and be lotsa fun to boot. She’s taken it on trips from NM deep into CO. Got >9000 miles on it.

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a car that I have to use a touchscreen to turn on the damn wipers.
    Piping in to say something along these lines.

Have had a 3 for around 3 yrs now, its fast, its quiet, AWD is great in snow, it was easily the best option for a reasonable price back when we got it, its fairly comfortable, the EV range thing is really not an issue unless you do 1000+ mile road trips regularly, but its not even close to a luxury vehicle.

Theres a few things I could complain about, the visibility out the back is very bad for instance, we’ve had the windows freeze shut so you cant open the doors, the front camber was poor and resulted in premature tire wear, but the one thing that drives me nuts more than anything else are the wiper controls, or lack of physical controls. I have found it downright dangerous at times. I’d much rather have wiper controls on a stalk and drive mode on the touchscreen.

Would I buy another - dunno I’d probably be looking for a Kia or Hyundai if I could find one for anywhere near MSRP.

The wiper setup sucks, luckily it rains so much in Bellingham Ted just has to turn the wipers on and he should be fine for a few months.

the constant reconnection of my phone to play music is the worst IMO. No CarPlay sucks. And the auto- park feature when you are rolling slowly unbuckled drives me nuts. And it’s hard to put in neutral for car washes, and impossible to do so if you unbuckled beforehand to reach the payment kiosk. That was embarrassing, took me a bit to figure out why it was auto-parking over and over without me touching the accelerator or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    It used to be that way because there was no competitors - you just hoped for the best. And shit links are shit links, I'm not defending tesla just saying don't post tweets from doctor parakeet bonger as fact. I would LOVE it more people bought EVs, I don't care if it's a tesla or not.
    M
    my neighbors now have 4 or 5 in their extended family, people love them. The question is will you? the “it’s great except for XYZ” is just damn weird. It’s like Saab fandom or mid90s Apple, with a build quality not much better than an early 90s accord

True it’s a bit hard to understand and seems weird, but me coming from a 20 year car to a Tesla is a total trip so I’m like Encino Man just wowed by it all.

And having a ridiculous amount of torque at any speed is the tits.

Elon Musk. There, I talked you out of it!!

I was asking my Hyundai dealer about pricing, if they sell above msrp they get a fine. Too many and they could potentially lose thier franchise.

I had to drive a gas pot recently. Its a 2.4l pontiac vibe with decent power but it felt like such a slug, waiting for the power ramp up.

I can see needing tires sooner than an ice car though, it's hard not to accelerate like you're racing.

I'm guessing that's Hyundai Canada's decision.

For whatever reason, it's common (for a lot of brands) in the county directly south from me. And Hyundai USA doesn't seem to care.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I5msrp.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	425191

Name:	SkagBullshit.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	425192

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I was asking my Hyundai dealer about pricing, if they sell above msrp they get a fine. Too many and they could potentially lose thier franchise.

I had to drive a gas pot recently. Its a 2.4l pontiac vibe with decent power but it felt like such a slug, waiting for the power ramp up.

I can see needing tires sooner than an ice car though, it's hard not to accelerate like you're racing.
    Very curious to hear how your Hyundai does over the winter. I’m in the BC interior and figured these RWD EVs wouldn’t be viable for me

Does everyone who owns an EV have 240v already installed, or is anyone using a normal outlet?

Liberals War on Pickup Trucks. Good Thing or Bad Thing?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

@SB, Do you have a point?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Does everyone who owns an EV have 240v already installed, or is anyone using a normal outlet?
    My neighbor with the model 3 uses a normal 14g extension cord from his house (about 30 feet) basically as a trickle charge when he's not driving (he's been WFH for a while now). When he has to go in (Seattle) he stops at a charging station.

We 110v charged our leaf for a while and it adds about 3-4 miles of range per hour or 20-24h for a full 70mile charge. This works if you charge every night and don’t go on long trips just around town. We now have a 240v outlet that charges to full in 3 hours or about 20-25mi per hour of charging.
    For the leaf around town it didn’t really matter but if you want a longer range car you probably want a faster charger.

You’re gonna want a 240v hookup. TWIS got some kind of splitter off Amazon and I stuck it in the outlet for her dryer, which is conveniently located in her garage.

Using a normal outlet is kind of useless for any significant charge, as described above.

Curious, what’s the battery life cost with 240V or rapid charging versus trickle charging with 120V? FIL has a Mitsubishi PHEV and fits the description of short trips around town, and only charges using an existing 15A outlet in his garage. He seems to think his battery life savings will be significant. Of course with the hybrid, he is not constrained by battery charging availability.

I've charged on both in my garage. The regular 110 volt charger is enough if the car sits at home and you drive sparingly. When I had a highway commute and the car sat in a commercial garage while I worked, I had to use the Level 2 to get topped back up overnight.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I'm guessing that's Hyundai Canada's decision.

For whatever reason, it's common (for a lot of brands) in the county directly south from me. And Hyundai USA doesn't seem to care.

Name:	I5msrp.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	425191

Name:	SkagBullshit.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	425192
    Yeah. there is a couple AWD models 70 miles from me and they are $5k over MSRP. No thanks.

As others have noted, 120V charging is pretty worthless. I had a 100mi RT commute when I bought my EV so had to charge on 240V. Unfortunately my parking spot was 30-40ft from my house, so I installed a short 50A 240V circuit to a box on the exterior, then bought a big ass 6ga RV extension cord and ran that out to my charger. Was only planning to be at that house for another couple years so didn't want to spend the coin to bury cable for a permanent installation. IT worked well enough.

New house has the panel in the garage so it'll be pretty easy to just add a circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Curious, what’s the battery life cost with 240V or rapid charging versus trickle charging with 120V? FIL has a Mitsubishi PHEV and fits the description of short trips around town, and only charges using an existing 15A outlet in his garage. He seems to think his battery life savings will be significant. Of course with the hybrid, he is not constrained by battery charging availability.
    My understanding is that 240V charging has no significant effect on battery life vs 120V. DC fast charging regularly does have a measurable impact, but still fairly minimal overall.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yeah. there is a couple AWD models 70 miles from me and they are $5k over MSRP. No thanks.
    I'm having trouble understanding why. Is it that the dealer doesn't want to sell/maintain them because they're heavily invested in ICE cars, or Brandon bullshit, or are they selling anyway so straight up gouging? WA is a blue state, and my town is bluer than most, but the next county is purple for sure. I can't imagine they sell many electric cars.

I did see one drive by a few minutes ago (while sitting on a brewery patio). Pretty good looking car. No pic of the Ionic, but here are two of our drinking companions

Name:	beerdogz.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	562.8 KB 
ID:	425257

Well that settles it; DOG gives e-vehicles two paws up.