Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1779
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I am REALLY liking what I'm seeing from the new Kia EV6 GT, however I have one big beef. Not with the car, but rather with the marketing. Why TF are they calling it a "crossover" when it it clearly a great looking EV hot hatch?! An EV hot hatch is awesome! That's what I want! But the fake CUV labelling is out of control. But then again, the marketing departments clearly know what sells, so I'll give 'em that. Still annoyed though. Whatever... I still want one. Haha.

Tested: The 2023 Kia EV6 GT Scrambles Brand Perceptions
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
    Oooff, starts at $62k? There are soany other used cars o would buy for that kind of money
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Anyone actually driven either the Ioniq 5 or the EV6?

I was a phone call away from purchasing one of the two, when the dealer tried to invoke a bidding war.

Curious how they handle snow with a decent snowflake tire.
    I've owned a Kia EV6 for just shy of a year - bought it the end of February, 2022.

Absolutely love the car! I live in WY and put Michelin X-Ices on it and it is amazing. I was worried about super deep snow so have been cautious about that, but every test so far the car has handled with ease. It is a great snow/ice car.

I way prefer driving it on snowy roads to my 2020 Ram Rebel with snow rated all-terrains.

This car makes me never want to drive an ICE vehicle again. Ram will be gone before summer, and I'm not looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I've owned a Kia EV6 for just shy of a year - bought it the end of February, 2022.

Absolutely love the car! I live in WY and put Michelin X-Ices on it and it is amazing. I was worried about super deep snow so have been cautious about that, but every test so far the car has handled with ease. It is a great snow/ice car.

I way prefer driving it on snowy roads to my 2020 Ram Rebel with snow rated all-terrains.

This car makes me never want to drive an ICE vehicle again. Ram will be gone before summer, and I'm not looking back.
    Thanks for posting that.

I opted for an Audi wagon that I’ve really been enjoying, but my wife’s in a Forester that we’ll probably trade out of for an EV in a few years.

I see an ICE in my family for the foreseeable future, mostly for road trips, but we’ll see. The bigger problem at this point is upgrading to a house with a garage that comfortably houses two vehicles plus tools and toys.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Thanks for posting that.

I opted for an Audi wagon that I’ve really been enjoying, but my wife’s in a Forester that we’ll probably trade out of for an EV in a few years.

I see an ICE in my family for the foreseeable future, mostly for road trips, but we’ll see. The bigger problem at this point is upgrading to a house with a garage that comfortably houses two vehicles plus tools and toys.
    About a month after we bought the car, my wife, our two teenagers, and I, drove from central Wyoming to LA and back. 3,000+ miles. The car was awesome and didn't negatively impact our trip, except for one late night stop to charge in the parking lot of a closed Walmart. We played frisbee for 15 minutes.

Here in WY there are still only limited high speed chargers so that is a limiting factor, but we have found we can go anywhere we want to go. Because of limited charging infrastructure you have to plan more than you do in an ICE, but it's very doable and is getting better all the time.

We only have a one car garage and the EV lives in there. The Ram is too big to fit anyway. I love plugging in at night and using home electricity to heat the car up before we leave in the morning. Saves range and makes the car toasty warm from the start of the drive.

I mean, you’re comparing a low center of gravity AWD sedan to pick-up truck for snow. Did you remember to keep a cord of wood in back?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

WMD have you considered just charging outside if your garage is not big enough for two EVs? We have the charger on the outside of our house and charge in the driveway no problem

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I mean, you’re comparing a low center of gravity AWD sedan to pick-up truck for snow. Did you remember to keep a cord of wood in back?
    Yes, the vehicles are very different but if one is looking for their next snow vehicle, the comparison is important. That said, the Ram truck is great in snow and ice and the back end doesn't slide around or lose traction. The EV6 is just better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    WMD have you considered just charging outside if your garage is not big enough for two EVs? We have the charger on the outside of our house and charge in the driveway no problem
    Yes, this is the plan for adding a second EV- keep it outside and add a second charger outside.

Dromond, do you live somewhere cold? Any issues with keeping the EV outside in really cold weather, or does plugging in and preheating take care of everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Seems like what we need is a replaceable battery system where you can swap out like a power tool...
    Tesla as talking about that at one point a few years back. Roll up, drop your battery, slap in a new one and be on your way. Seems like that idea went away.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Tesla as talking about that at one point a few years back. Roll up, drop your battery, slap in a new one and be on your way. Seems like that idea went away.
    Heh:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1368AC2-8531-4B33-A76C-AA9C4A8D1E3D.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	446115

https://gotmusked.com/content/tesla-battery-swap-fraud/

Figures. It would be cool though.

It’s working in China, at least with one BEV brand. I’m no Musk fanboi but as NA market got used to the idea of home or workplace charging, the swap thing became less important.

https://insideevs.com/news/622519/ni...hina-2022/amp/

Nissan, and others, are working on solid state batteries and expect to have them in cars in 5 years.

"Nissan expects that the solid-state battery technology it's busily developing will be ready for mass production in 2028. Development work is ongoing, but the Japanese company believes it's well positioned to launch pilot production in 2025 and gradually improve the technology."

"We think we have something quite special and are in a group leading the technology. We want to get the cost down [compared to lithium-ion batteries] by 50%, to double the energy density, and to offer three times the charging speed."

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2023/02...-ev-batteries/

That’s the magic bullet that completely kills ice in all use cases. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Whatever happened to that Australian company that was supposed to quadruple energy density and have coin batteries to market soon (I think 2023?)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    It’s working in China, at least with one BEV brand. I’m no Musk fanboi but as NA market got used to the idea of home or workplace charging, the swap thing became less important.

https://insideevs.com/news/622519/ni...hina-2022/amp/
    >1/3 of them on the 60k swap day were expressway station swaps, long trips is still a main range complaint. Unless you are fine being a loser waiting in a supercharger line.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    They show an ambulance version on the page. I don’t want no stinking embulance. Let them run fuel. Lives are at stake. No ev fire trucks please also.
    Garbage trucks on the other hand...Seattle has at least one EV garbage truck. Was taking a lunch walk at work one day and it was garbage day. I'm walking by the truck and all of a sudden I'm like something is off. It was dead quiet except for backup beeps. Even the compactor was quiet and didn't need any increase in idle rpm because obviously there's no rpm. Talked to the guys running it and they were stoked because they didn't need hearing protection and could hold a conversation on the job now.

Yes, this is the plan for adding a second EV- keep it outside and add a second charger outside.

Dromond, do you live somewhere cold? Any issues with keeping the EV outside in really cold weather, or does plugging in and preheating take care of everything?
    I’m in Seattle where it is generally temperate. I think that outside charging in snow and ice is generally fine and we’ve had no problems charging when it was cold. We’ve mostly parked our EV the few times it has snowed in the city just because it’s a small car (Fiat 500e) without snow tires and we have another more winter ready car, so no reason to chance it. I’d love to have a slightly bigger and possibly AWD EV at some point for whatever winter driving is within range.

Seattle never gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    That’s the magic bullet that completely kills ice in all use cases. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    There’s no downside to saying “I’ll believe it when I see it”, which is why I also fall back on this platitude regularly

But the confidence level has shifted within the industry and it’s starting to feel more like a When not If evolution of current Lithium ion.

In my old R&D job I semi-regularly had to predict likelihood of commercialization of a promising technology. We all understood that ‘predictions’ in the 5-10 yr range were somewhat meaningless, which meant allocating $20 mm on that wasn’t something likely to affect your performance review 5 yrs later. But if you were being asked ‘hey there are reasons XYZ why we’d like to announce commercialization in 3 yrs before we commit the $250 mm for the next big step’, shit would get real & everyone would focus on looking at every assumption in that prediction. Solid State BEV seems to be in that 3 yr window. But I’m not in the industry, so…

I’ll believe it when I see it.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/06/...v-battery.html

"From the “duh” department, California is already becoming more healthy because of electric car penetration, which has resulted in cleaner air in areas where electric cars are more prevalent, according to a new study."

Who woulda guessed? SLC peeps pay attention.
    https://electrek.co/2023/02/10/surpr...nia-healthier/

"From the “duh” department, California is already becoming more healthy because of electric car penetration, which has resulted in cleaner air in areas where electric cars are more prevalent, according to a new study."

Who woulda guessed? SLC peeps pay attention.
    https://electrek.co/2023/02/10/surpr...nia-healthier/
    Fremont Fred, the Tesla pimp, posting a study about how much CA air quality improved that ignores all the other things CA did that improved air quality.

Electric car thread

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Fremont Fred, the Tesla pimp, posting a study about how much CA air quality improved that ignores all the other things CA did that improved air quality.
    Huh?

From the article:
    "The study was published last week by the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. It tracked real-world pollution levels, electric car penetration, and emergency room visits across California between 2013 and 2019.
    Completely unsurprisingly, the study found that clean air vehicles actually resulted in clean air, with the benefits being stronger in areas where there were more of them. Amazing. Who knew.
    Each increase of 20 cars per 1,000 people (which is roughly equivalent to 2% of cars – since CA has 840 cars per 1,000 people) was associated with a .41ppb (parts per billion) drop in nitrogen dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere. California law sets average NOx standards at 30ppb, so a drop of .41 is a pretty big chunk, especially when compared to just 2% of EV penetration."

BTW, I'm no Tesla fanboy. I will laugh if Tesla ever goes bankrupt. But EV's in general, yeah I'm a fan.
    Last edited by WMD; 02-12-2023 at 11:09 PM.

Huh?

From the article:
    "The study was published last week by the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. It tracked real-world pollution levels, electric car penetration, and emergency room visits across California between 2013 and 2019.
    Completely unsurprisingly, the study found that clean air vehicles actually resulted in clean air, with the benefits being stronger in areas where there were more of them. Amazing. Who knew.
    Each increase of 20 cars per 1,000 people (which is roughly equivalent to 2% of cars – since CA has 840 cars per 1,000 people) was associated with a .41ppb (parts per billion) drop in nitrogen dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere. California law sets average NOx standards at 30ppb, so a drop of .41 is a pretty big chunk, especially when compared to just 2% of EV penetration."

BTW, I'm Tesla fanboy. I will laugh if Tesla ever goes bankrupt. But EV's in general, yeah I'm a fan.
    The study was zip code level analysis of NOX concentrations, age adjusted ED visit rates, adjusted for educational attainment. As someone who used to live in CA, and dealt with chemicals associated with asthma, lots of other regulations happened. It’s why people bitch about CA.

fremontfred aka Fred lambert the electrek pimp, got $$$ in referral codes and access

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    This ad was pretty funny but it is also pretty shitty of RAM. They are trying to keep Ford and others from getting first mover advantage and becoming known as EV leaders, because RAM is are behind. They don't have anything to sell so they are trying to make people wait to buy EVs until they do. They clearly don't give a shit about the environment / climate or anything but themselves.