Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1764
    Solid state looks pretty far away for the masses: https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota...0-cars-in-2030
    Want taller, better heel risers for your Marker Alpinists? Check this out

28.5 TransAlp Pro boots for sale.

Ouch.

Given the conservative nature of Toyota, their roadmap is interesting:

Name:  picture2-1-656200c1742fd.png
Views: 652
Size:  83.2 KB

Electric car thread

^^^related to thatÖ
    I read this whole thread last night because I couldnít sleep, and frankly the electric car thing is taking longer than I thought. I know, I know infrastructure blah blah blah, nonetheless itís not where I thought it was gonna be in almost 2024.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Wow game changer from Mercedes, didn’t see that coming: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0Pc1...hhZWM5NmIwOQ==

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Wow game changer from Mercedes, didnít see that coming: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0Pc1...hhZWM5NmIwOQ==
    'Bout goddam time.

Lmao!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Was that Tina Fey??
    If not, shoulda been.

Looked like Julia-Louise Dreyfus

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    This

Batteries not included, lol

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    It is JLD. It was an SNL skit from several years ago.

Yeah, that's who I should a said.

Honda discussing their new concept car:

Technical details are scant for now, but Honda says vehicles will use high-density batteries designed to minimize long-term degradation. Specifically, the company is aiming to minimize battery capacity degradation to less than 10% after 10 years of use. At the same time, charging should be quick, with Honda claiming 15 to 80% fast charging on late-2020s production models that'll be 10 to 15 minutes quicker than it typically takes today.

Apparently, Toyota just requested a new patent related to water cooled Hydro combustion engines: https://www.topspeed.com/toyota-wate...ustion-engine/

Iím digging the idea of a Kia EV9. Maybe MY 2025 once theyíre NACS compatible. Of course, I havenít seen one in person yet so a lot can change.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

They look sharp in person, there are a few driving around Seattle already.

Lol
    watch out for snakes

If anyone is in the market, you should be able to get a pretty good deal.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/11/busin...ing/index.html

After driving the model y in snowy conditions a handful of times now I have had no issues with the one pedal driving. It provides a smooth and mellow amount of pressure that never causes the car to slide. The nice part about it is that you can feather the amount of regen by just lightly starting to let the gas pedal up and this will gently start to slow the car down.

I think that if it was really slick and icy I might still prefer to turn it down or completely off.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Iíd think regen braking would always be better than mechanical braking in slick conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My engineering curiosity lead me to learn more about these fires a couple of yrs ago; a YouTube comment from TR’s link summarizes things from a firefighter perspective:

@alexkitner5356
    1 day ago (edited)
    We as a profession need to understand the chemistry of these issues. EV fires have two sides, there is the resultant fire and the thermal runaway of the battery which causes that fire.

I have taken several classes on EVs and the fact is that the thermal runaway creates gasses including oxygen. The blanket does not extinguish a fire, its a shield, and its possible that if the reaction is still ongoing it might contain heat vs helping thru smothering a reaction that produces its own oxygen.

The manufacturers recommend cooling and the instructors I've had who have worked with everything from passenger cars to trucks and even the electric F1/IRL open wheel cars. They had been thru plants manufacturing batteries of standard cell and the Tesla 'jelly roll' batteries. They specifically noted things like these blankets, the trial foams developed for EVs, Class D extinguishers, even the European style 10 yard roll-off filled with water to submerge the vehicle. Cooling with water was noted as the most effective and only real method of stopping the reaction and in turn the fires secondary to the release of gasses and heat from the batteries which contrary to common belief are not "burning" but rather are undergoing a runaway exothermic chemical chain reaction as heat produced by damaged cells in turn damages more cells and so on.

Even the manufacturer reccomendations for first responders is cooling thru the use of large volumes of water, while managing exposures that can be ignited from this.. Tesla for example calls for 8,000-12,000 gallons for cooling and then storage for over a week with no combustibles in something like 30-50 feet. This because the vehicles will go back into runaway even after days of seeming inactive. An area department here went for a Tesla fire and 5 days later the same vehicle required another response as it took back off. These things are so misunderstood and the dynamics of fires involving them can complicate operations badly. About a year ago a wildfire burned up a coatal California Vista and into a luxury gated development above. The fire was a challenge but the Chief specifically noted that one serious issue as they followed thru and tried to knock down and mop up in the neighborhood that several homes with EVs couldn't be immediately handled because of the large demand on resources they require.

For consumer products, never charge them unattended. Scooters and bikes are one of the leading causes of fires and fire related fatalities in NYC. I was recently on a house fire that was a constructive total loss because of some lithium tool batteries left to charge overnight. We made a good stop but the smoke and fire damage was bad on the first story and the batteries were nearby the water supply piping to the second story and the conductive heat boiled the water out of the copper pipes and caused the solder joints above to melt and water damage wrecked the upstairs that was otherwise kept from burning.

Bottom line, treat the batteries like you would oily rags or canned camp stove fuel. It doesn't take much and offers little warning before a reaction that takes massive cooling begins. Once that happens it will continue to give off heat oxygen and toxic gasses until cooled enough to stop that runaway. In that time any unprotected exposure will be subjected to high heat levels and will be hard to prevent from extending the fire.

It’s an issue that will soon solve itself though. As the first generation of EVs come off warranty and need battery replacements that are nearly the market value of the vehicle it becomes an economic disaster. I'd hate to be the owner of a 102k mile Tesla facing the choice of buying a battery thats comparable to the vehicle's value or being left with a non-functional car which has enough hazardous waste that instead of the scrap yard paying, you have to pay a company to dispose of it. The words "5 year old car" and "negative residual value" are an economic nightmare
    The last paragraph is his speculation .

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    After driving the model y in snowy conditions a handful of times now I have had no issues with the one pedal driving. It provides a smooth and mellow amount of pressure that never causes the car to slide. The nice part about it is that you can feather the amount of regen by just lightly starting to let the gas pedal up and this will gently start to slow the car down.

I think that if it was really slick and icy I might still prefer to turn it down or completely off.
    Are you using off-road mode? I found that setting to be really impressive in snow, so much so that we're sticking with the 21" all seasons for now.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    If anyone is in the market, you should be able to get a pretty good deal.
    https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/11/busin...ing/index.html
    Hertz is going to have a tough time selling their model y's at those prices. You can get a brand new one for less after the $7500 off (or $12,500 off in Colorado).

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Are you using off-road mode? I found that setting to be really impressive in snow, so much so that we're sticking with the 21" all seasons for now.
    No I haven't tried that yet, thanks for the tip!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post

Hertz is going to have a tough time selling their model y's at those prices. You can get a brand new one for less after the $7500 off (or $12,500 off in Colorado).
    You still get the used car ev tax credit from IRA up to $4500.